Robert Kraft, Tom Brady issue statements on new contract

Patriots owner Robert Kraft and quarterback Tom Brady generally kept quiet about their contract negotiations, right up until the news broke Thursday night that Brady had agreed to a new deal.

But today Kraft and Brady both released statements expressing their gratitude to each other and saying they’re looking forward to focusing on the 2010 season.

“We have been very fortunate to have Tom Brady as the quarterback of the New England Patriots for the past decade,” Kraft said. “I am glad that this contract extension will allow his tenure to continue well into the next decade. Tom has been a terrific representative for the Patriots and a great leader for this franchise. Since he first arrived, no player has worked harder and been more driven to succeed than Tom. His core values have kept him grounded, despite his many successes, and he remains a consummate professional, both on and off the field. It is much easier to reward a player for his professional accomplishments when you have such respect for him personally and I have a tremendous amount of respect for Tom and for everything he has accomplished in his life. There is no one that I would rather have leading this team and I am happy to reward him with this contract extension.”

Brady said he didn’t want to discuss his contract at all, but he does want to keep playing for the Patriots for years to come.

“I have never been comfortable talking about my contract and certainly didn’t want discussions of my contract negotiations to serve as a distraction to any of my teammates as we have been preparing for the Cincinnati Bengals and the start of the 2010 season,” Brady said. “However, I do want to express my appreciation to Mr. Kraft and Jonathan Kraft for extending my opportunity to play for the New England Patriots. I am grateful for all that the Kraft family has done for me, both personally and professionally, and for all they have done for my family. Not only have I had the good fortune of playing for just one franchise, I have also played for the greatest head coach and with some of the best teammates a player could ever ask for. My teammates, both past and present, are the main reason why we have accomplished so much over the years. I love playing in New England and appreciate all the support that our fans give us. I look forward to tomorrow’s game and the start of another exciting season.”

Signing his new contract allows Brady not only to focus all his attention on this season, but also to plan to be in New England for four more seasons after this one.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
38 Responses to “Robert Kraft, Tom Brady issue statements on new contract”
  1. Franchise says: Sep 11, 2010 2:59 PM

They will sign him for a crapload, let Moss and Welker walk, then have to try and rebuild with Golden Boy and no run game.
    It was a good run Pats fans!

2. Schatt Maub says: Sep 11, 2010 3:08 PM

The statements read as follow.
    Brady: “I’m wealthy.”
    Kraft: “I’m wealthier.”
    Brady: “Well, my wife is hotter.”
    Kraft: “I’m wealthier.”

3. downwithdansnyder says: Sep 11, 2010 3:09 PM

Did they make out after signing it?

4. TheWizard says: Sep 11, 2010 3:12 PM

All is Kumbaya in Patriot land.
    They’ll probably struggle this year, though.
    Probably only make it to 10-6.

5. Sheriff04 says: Sep 11, 2010 3:13 PM

Franchise, nah they seem in pretty good position.
    Brady is locked up. Moss might walk, depends on this year I guess. But they won’t toss Welker, and Julian Edleman is going to be a key part in their offense soon.
    Than, all they really need is to either by draft, a replacement (tall, strong, quick) WR for Moss. Or through a trade.
    And if they address the running game, it takes a bit off the WRs.
    I don’t think the Pats are in for huge failure. Unless Brady begins to fall a part or something else, they still do have a team and are capable of make additions that would make them even better.

6. JoeSixPack says: Sep 11, 2010 3:15 PM

Pay attention Logan Mankins: The way to get a lucrative contract extention with the Patriots is to shut the f*ck up and play the game well.
    Calling an organization that just agreed to pay the highest salary in the history of the NFL “cheap” isn’t the wisest thing to do if you want to get paid.
    Mankins can hold out but whatever he’s turning down from the Patriots now is going to be a lot less than he’ll get in 2012, when he’ll be a free agent following the lockout in 2011.

7. agenice says: Sep 11, 2010 3:19 PM

Too bad he’ll never be as good as when they were cheating. Oh. And the one year the entire team played with a chip on their shoulder because they got busted and felt they had been wronged.
    Sucks for Pats fans to never have had a legitimate champion, yet.

8. Dbellina says: Sep 11, 2010 3:21 PM

Isn’t Tom Brady dreamy?

9. smithopher says: Sep 11, 2010 3:25 PM

I’m a Jets fan and I gotta say I’m glad they gave Brady the money… we’ve had such terrible play at QB for a decent while, if we had someone like Brady he’d have been making big money for a while now. i do think the rest of the team is starting to decline though… moss wants out of town and is seemingly unhappy, that makes the decision to double welker much easier, and the defense has a couple of good players and a bunch more unproven guys. brady seemed to think the team wasn’t tough enough after they lost to the ravens in the playoffs. it’ll be an interesting season, afc east.

10. august says: Sep 11, 2010 3:27 PM

let Moss and Welker limp you mean, while they draft the best RB and OLB next year with their two first rounders. Oh yeah, then theres that pesky free agency thing.
    the run will continue, 10 years running.

11. JimmySmith says: Sep 11, 2010 3:28 PM

12. Fan says: Sep 11, 2010 3:30 PM

Dear Logan,
    Please read between the lines and don’t get back to me.
    Regards,
    Robert Kraft

13. ampats says: Sep 11, 2010 3:31 PM

Great to have Brady for another five years.
    The defense is younger and faster and will continue to grow over the course of the season.

14. Fan says: Sep 11, 2010 3:33 PM

Dear Logan,
    Please read between the lines and don’t get back to me.
    Regards,
    Robert Kraft

15. Fan says: Sep 11, 2010 3:34 PM

Dear Logan,
    Please read between the lines and don’t get back to me.
    Regards,
    Robert Kraft

16. The Terminator says: Sep 11, 2010 3:36 PM

Earthboy deserves every penny and man what a classy speech and I’m no Pats fan…why can’t Big Doofus Ben take a page from this guys playbook.
    And before anyone starts crying about he left his poor pregnant Girlfriend for Gisele…people fall in and out of love all the time…if any of you haters had ever been with a woman let alone find one dumb enough to fall for you you’d know what I’m talking about….even my wife agrees with me on that one and we never agree on anything…of course she also thinks Brady is “smokin hot”…her words not mine.
    Earthboy is a classy dude.

17. jediwrstlr says: Sep 11, 2010 3:53 PM

he wil be happy with the contract until Manning get his contract to make him the “highest paid”. Lets just hope the NFL doesnt hand anymore superbowls to this ass. “tuck rule”

18. habman says: Sep 11, 2010 4:02 PM

@ agenice
    Three shiney ‘bards, all earned, all legit, no ‘taint’.
    Nice try tho’

19. robert ethen says: Sep 11, 2010 4:06 PM

“….and finally to the Rodrigues family I would like to say KISS MY ASS, LOSERS. I hope that crappy beater van is so far gone you won’t even be able to live in after you get evicted from the housing project.”.

20. bblogger says: Sep 11, 2010 4:11 PM

@Sheriff04
    Yeap, replacing Moss should be very easy. “Blank STARE”

21. bblogger says: Sep 11, 2010 4:12 PM

@Sheriff04
    Yeap, replacing Moss should be very easy. “Blank STARE”

22. agenice says: Sep 11, 2010 4:38 PM

@habman
    Enjoy your “‘bards”. I’d rather have superbowls
    Glad to see you feel THEY are tainted.
    No idea why you would even mention a “‘bard” on a football website. Crazy pats fan.

23. Mike Daly says: Sep 11, 2010 4:39 PM

Hey Franchise, Moss and Welker will get deals they’ll accept, and with three good TEs and developing WRs and an O-line whose anchor of the future is now in place (Vollmer) the Patriots will still be stout.

24. Mike Daly says: Sep 11, 2010 4:41 PM

BTW, I thought the Patriots were going to lowball Brady.
    jediwrstler – they never handed anything to the Patriots.

25. TheToolofTools says: Sep 11, 2010 4:51 PM

I would like to Thank both Tom and Robert for setting the bar so high that I know now how much to rape my team for.
    Payton Manning

26. bospat says: Sep 11, 2010 5:03 PM

All you haters would love to have Brady…Peyton will be highest paid because he needs the extra money to buy a few more rings on ebay….

27. Simdogga77 says: Sep 11, 2010 5:14 PM

The FRANCHISE!
    Worth every penny.

28. Doctor Connors says: Sep 11, 2010 5:27 PM

Bill Cowher: “We had wristbands to protect against that”
    Jay Fiedler: “They wouldn’t have known our signals anyways”
    Jimmy Johnson: “Yeah I did the same thing, no big”
    Dick Vermeil: “It had no impact on their wins”
    Herm Edwards: (waves to spygate tape)

29. patpatriotagain says: Sep 11, 2010 5:34 PM

jimmysmith
    get a life

30. brwnhtr says: Sep 11, 2010 5:36 PM

tommy celebrates with his sheep!

31. TheWizard says: Sep 11, 2010 6:06 PM

Too bad he’ll never be as good as when they were cheating
    Except, of course, the 16-0 season and being one play away from having the greatest season in the history of the League.
    Other than that, you’re right on.

32. JoeSixPack says: Sep 11, 2010 7:25 PM

@ JimmySmith says: Win a Superbowl without the aid of Matt Walsh’s skills and I will be impressed. Until then, cheating is cheating and should be designated as such with astericks.
    Yeah – having the first perfect regular season in the history of the NFL winning by 30 points on average post-spygate really wasn’t very impressive.

33. spudz says: Sep 11, 2010 7:42 PM

JimmySmith says:
    September 11, 2010 3:28 PM
    Jimmy!! did mommy say you could be on the computer? Probably not….isnt it time for a diaper change?

34. Ytsejamer1 says: Sep 11, 2010 9:22 PM

# agenice says: September 11, 2010 3:19 PM
    Sucks for Pats fans to never have had a legitimate champion, yet.
    ———————–
    I dunno about that…the feeling we had after laying waste to every team over those few years, winning championship after championship was pretty nice. I sleep fine at night.

35. Brick Tamland says: Sep 11, 2010 9:25 PM

JimmySmith says:
    September 11, 2010 3:28 PM
    Oh my god that’s right…when are we going to see that Matt Walsh tape Jimmy? He says he has a tape and yet after, what, 4 years…he STILL hasn’t shown us the tape. But hey, let’s not reality get in the way of accusations. If he says there’s a tape then there must be a tape right Jimmy? I heard there were tapes of you with 10 year old boys, I haven’t seen them but I heard they exist – so that must mean you like little boys right Jimmy.

36. BP says: Sep 11, 2010 10:51 PM

As so often you blithering idiots do, you forget that Goodell’s retard-boy memo restricting taping came out after the Pat’s dynasty wins.
    But keep whining like a bitch about it. I love to see you cry when you swallow the bitter pill of having to have watched a dynasty emerge in the era of salary caps and free agency. Your pathetic agony is hilarious.
    You sniveling phony losers get your nourishment from the Pat’s table scraps. And deservedly so.

37. BCGreg says: Sep 12, 2010 8:49 AM

Regarding the memo that haters like to use as proof that BB cheated. The memo is about a rule that does not exist. The Commish’s office can send out memos all they want, but if they are telling teams to stop doing something that is not in the rulebook, then the teams should ignore the memo.
    Here’s my point. The rule states that you cannot have a camera on the field. The league defines the field as sideline to sideline, endline to endline (ie the playing field). BB did NOT have a camera on the field as the league defines it.
    In the memo, they changed the word ‘field’ to the word ‘sideline’, thereby changing the rule, which the Commish and his lawyers are not authorized to do. Only the owners can propose, vote, and change rules. BB was correct in ignoring this memo because the “rule” that the memo asked teams to refrain from doing was NOT a legit rule.
    So, keep hanging on to your weak theories and attacks. Look at the facts (Walsh had no walkthrough, Walsh never gave a tape to anyone until after the game, other coaches say it’s no big deal because they did it, the league found no evidence of in game tape viewing). Jealousy sucks.

38. JimmySmith says: Sep 12, 2010 10:28 AM

JoeSixPack says:
    I agree, it wasn’t impressive because they choked when it really counted. Correct me if I am wrong, but they lost the Superbowl game.