Robert Kraft on Schefter report: "A bold-faced fib"

L. Mankins2.jpgPatriots owner Robert Kraft came awfully close to calling ESPN’s Adam Schefter a “false rumor mongerer” on Monday.

In response to a report by Schefter on Sunday that guard Logan Mankins nixed a deal with the Patriots after they asked him to apologize publicly, Kraft tried to set the record straight on WEEI.  Kraft said the team offered Mankins a contract similar to the
one Nick Mangold received from the Jets, but there was never an agreement.

“That is a bold-faced fib,” Kraft said, according to multiple accounts. “We have never had a deal with Logan.”

But here’s the thing: Schefter never said there was a done deal.  He said there was significant progress made, and that a deal was getting close.  The crux of Schefter’s story was that progress was derailed when the Patriots asked for an apology.

Kraft addressed that as well, but didn’t really clear up the issue.

“Those comments [Mankins] made in the public media, he said he regretted them and in retrospect, he knew they were not true,” Kraft said, via Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald. “I accepted his apology, because he’s a very high-quality guy. I also said, ‘Logan, it would be nice if that was made public because I’m
hoping to do a deal with you and I don’t want people to think that how you do a deal is to say that.

“He said, ‘Look, Mr. Kraft, I feel bad. I will correct this either when I sign with the Patriots or when I get traded and sign somewhere else.’ He said, ‘My hope is that I’ll be a
Patriot and go into the Patriot Hall of Fame.’ I said the same thing to him.”

It sounds like we’re getting two different recollections of the same event.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
29 Responses to “Robert Kraft on Schefter report: "A bold-faced fib"”
  1. Tim_Stead says: Sep 13, 2010 12:29 PM

You have to wonder what Mankins agent is trying to accomplish here. Why are the leaking this silly spin to Shefter?? What is the point??
    When Kraft makes this statement in recounting the conversation with Mankins it rings true …..”He said, ‘Look, Mr. Kraft, I feel bad. I will correct this either when I sign with the Patriots or when I get traded and sign somewhere else.’ … ”
    Kraft isn’t going to make up a quote that has Mankins getting traded and signing somewhere else.

2. BobsCountryBunker says: Sep 13, 2010 12:30 PM

And I thought that “BFF” meant that they were texting buddies … my bad.

3. jj jones says: Sep 13, 2010 12:40 PM

Schefter made something up? Shocking.

4. Tim_Stead says: Sep 13, 2010 12:40 PM

You’re splitting hairs Florio. Shefter said the Patriots were 90 minutes (??) from a signed deal with Mankins. That means they had a deal that needed a signature. I’ll ask again. Why is Mankins camp floating this?? What do they hope to gain??

5. Pastabelly says: Sep 13, 2010 12:41 PM

It sounds like Kraft has botched the negotiations for the team because he got his feelings hurt. If he’s distorting Schefter’s words now, it’s possible he’s doing the same with Mankins.

6. benjaminbreeg says: Sep 13, 2010 12:45 PM

If it happend the way Schefter reported, the Krafts should be ashamed of themselves. Whatever you believe, one side has been telling alot of lies since this started.

7. TheTruth says: Sep 13, 2010 12:46 PM

Pats looked pretty good without him…

8. FinFan68 says: Sep 13, 2010 12:49 PM

Although Shefter’s version relies on a third party with “knowledge of” the situation, it seems completely plausible considering Kraft’s comments. He does not want to give the impression to the rest of his team that holding out and complaining will get them a deal.

9. Deb says: Sep 13, 2010 12:58 PM

Don’t know anything about this incident. But when I read the headline, my reaction was “Go, Bob!!!”
    Who cares whether Kraft wanted Logan to apologize, etc.? Sports news lately is indistinguishable from celebrity gossip. Schefter & co. need to cut the pot-stirring and stick to the GAME.

10. tnsteve says: Sep 13, 2010 1:03 PM

No it doesn’t. It sounds like Schefter got the original story from Mankins or his agent and is just now running with it. Sounds like Schefter never got fed the real story.

11. PFTiswhatitis says: Sep 13, 2010 1:11 PM

“The crux of Schefter’s story was that progress was derailed when the Patriots asked for an apology. Kraft addressed that as well, but didn’t really clear up the issue.”
    Cleared a lot up for me. The way Schefter wrote it, it seemed like a deal was done and just before signing it, someone’s pride got in the way. That was clearly NOT the case. Kraft was very forth coming and straightforward. I don’t know what else you wanted him to say.
    “It sounds like we’re getting two different recollections of the same event.”
    We got the Patriots side via Kraft. Who’s is the other side from? Schefter? Until Mankins comes on the radio and can be quoted I only hear one side. Adam Schefter is not fact worthy. He was not there.

12. texasPHINSfan says: Sep 13, 2010 1:34 PM

Mankins needs to just be humble, apologize, and make his millions playing for the team he wanted to retire on. Stop being babies about principle

13. thehoodedone says: Sep 13, 2010 1:35 PM

You can’t give someone an extension who calls out the owner’s credibility. Unless, of course, he says he was wrong to call him out. Otherwise, all the other players will think the way to get a new contract is to call the owner a liar. Seems like an obvious way to conduct business.

14. PFTiswhatitis says: Sep 13, 2010 1:43 PM

“texasPHINSfan says:
    September 13, 2010 1:34 PM
    However you want to paint it, the fact still is both sides admitted that Kraft asked Mankins to publicly apologize, and he refused.”
    the “…and he refused” part is just wrong.
    You need to read. Kraft said that Mankins did apologize and would apologize publicly. ” ‘Look, Mr. Kraft, I feel bad. I will correct this either when I sign with the Patriots or when I get traded and sign somewhere else.’
    That’s pretty clear.
    He also explained that it was not an ego issue for him it was because he did not want players thinking that the way to a new contract was to deal with the owner. He said as owner he signs off on deals once they are done but does not get involved in working out deals or making offers.

15. Richm2257 says: Sep 13, 2010 1:43 PM

Adam Schefter should have done what Ian Rapoport wound up doing; asking Bob Kraft for HIS side of the story, before running with Mankins’ version. Nope, that would be responsible journalism, can’t have that. Instead he runs with just one (unconfirmed!) side of the story
    Clearly Logan Mankins and his side are trying to garner public support and put public pressure on Bob Kraft to come up with a better offer and break this stalemate. But even if Schefter WERE right (and it sure sounds like he swallowed a big dose of Mankins bullsh-t), I wouldn’t blame Bob Kraft for asking Mankins for a public apology. Mankins totally trashed the Krafts publicly; he should apologize publicly.

16. rusH1023 says: Sep 13, 2010 1:57 PM

Richm2257 says:
    “Regardless, Tom Brady’s protection yesterday may well have put a serious dent in Mankins’ leverage.”
    ________________________________
    Ain’t that the truth. I’m no Mankins hater — I’d take him back in a second — but the more time he waits, it seems he’ll be hurting his chances of playing this year.

17. BenRapistberger says: Sep 13, 2010 2:26 PM

Sounds like a game of telephone.
    The question is, what can the Pats get that they’ll find useful for him? I can’t see a player they could get that I’d actually want for an even trade. My guess is they’ll find a team willing to give up a 1st or 2nd rounder for him and move on.
    And before anyone says that’s not enough, he’s one of the best if not the best guard in football, keep in mind that he’s also going to demand a hefty contract. It’s hard to find a trade partner willing to give up that big of a pick AND a big contract.

18. justintime says: Sep 13, 2010 2:57 PM

“It sounds like we’re getting two different recollections of the same event.”
    Sounds to me like we’re getting one recollection and one unconfirmed secondhand rumor, but I think it’s notable that Kraft called to personally discuss this in detail. From top to bottom, the Pats as an organization never discuss details of a contract negotiation, particularly at length. Apparently this struck a chord, and if what Kraft says is true, rightly so.

19. Tombradysbaby says: Sep 13, 2010 3:48 PM

I didn’t notice a huge problem at right guard during the game, which doesn’t sound food for Mankins.

20. Stoney18 says: Sep 13, 2010 4:05 PM

The Krafts, as a family and as an organization, do not do business this way. They have huge charity commitments and did not use the public to build their stadium. They maintain integrity throughout the negotiating process. And, they don’t bow to media hyperbole, innuendos, etc., etc. If Mankins and his agent will agree to an acceptable deal, this will go away. The Patriots will not overpay. Even Tom Brady knows this. The policy of being tight-lipped regarding their business leads to lots of speculation in the “news.”

21. Rhode Island Patriots Fan says: Sep 13, 2010 4:14 PM

Enough of the dilly-dallying with Logan Mankins, and give the player what he wants: a trade. Don’t the Chicago Bears have a need at OG? What about the Eagles, Rams, or Seahawks? If the Patriots can secure a second-round draft pick, then they should grab it without hesitation. Otherwise, they risk losing Mankins without any quid pro quo.

22. JoeSixPack says: Sep 13, 2010 4:56 PM

Obviously Mankins people are the ones who leaked this to Shefter – probably in the hopes of putting pressure on Kraft to cave.
    Mankins, like Moss, has realized that there will likely be no free agency in 2011. Unless they get a deal now they will have to wait another 2 years when Mankins will be 30 and Moss will be 35. Neither will get anywhere near the deal that the Patriots likely had on the table previously and I’ll bet they’re kicking themselves that they didn’t take it when they had a chance.
    Even if its true that Kraft wanted some public apology I don’t blame him.
    If a guy calls me a liar and expects me to give him tens of millions of dollars, you better believe that I’m going to be expecting an apology once the deal is done. That’s human nature.

23. Southcoastmass says: Sep 13, 2010 5:25 PM

The Krafts are self important jerks. They are at fault here. Why would Mankins and his agent call Schefter and lie?
    Mankins should’ve been signed up, but Bobby and Jonny Kraft got their wittle feewings hurt.
    I’ve got no problem with the Krafts being exposed as the frauds they are. Obviously, Mankins (a terrific, hardworking soldier in his time in Foxboro) believes that they screwed him. I believe Mankins any day over the shady Krafts.
    Despite the media toadies who give the Krafts good publicity, the Krafts are as shady as anyone.

24. Mike Daly says: Sep 13, 2010 6:46 PM

Southcoastmass – WHAT media toadies? Schefter’s report was not true, period.
    Why would Mankins and his agent lie to Schefter? 1, it was the agent who called, and 2, he has to portray the Patriots as liars and cheats because if he doesn’t, then he’s exposed as an incompetent agent and Mankins is exposed as the most idiotic businessman in pro sports, especially since the Patriots signed all the guys the media kept inferring they wouldn’t sign (remember the “Brady needs to hold out” smear campaign?).
    Mankins is at fault here – he’s been at fault since he refused to sign the initial tender worth over $3.5 million. His agent is also at fault for being a fool to everyone.

25. Raiders757 says: Sep 13, 2010 8:07 PM

Imagine that. ESPN and Adam Schefter on the wrong end of another made up pack of lies. Nothing new here. I just find it funny that people are stupid enough to believe anything they hear on that sad sack network without checking the facts first.

26. raidersteve413 says: Sep 13, 2010 9:34 PM

sounds like we’re getting two different recollections of the same event.
    No florio you weirdo It sounds like adam shit talker shefter is lying once again just like you.
    By the way you are so disturbing looking I had to change the channel. Extremly bizare looking.
    Its so strange, Yoy look so gay and just creepy.
    I wouldnt let my kids a foot from you

27. Mike Daly says: Sep 14, 2010 5:22 PM

raidersteve413 – don’t blame Adam Schefter. Blame his source – which I believe was Frank Bauer, Mankins’ agent.

28. AdamEagle5 says: Sep 15, 2010 2:33 PM

The funniest thing I got from this was the changing times. Once upon a time, the saying was “a bald-faced lie,” as in no hair covering it up–an obvious lie. Now, people think it’s a “bold-faced lie” like the font.
    I don’t know whether Kraft got it wrong, the “multiple accounts” who quoted him, or Rosey typing up this article, but in the words of a few football greats, come on, man.

29. FireFlorio says: Sep 15, 2010 3:27 PM

re: Pastabelly says:
    September 13, 2010 12:41 PM
    ————————————————
    You idiot. It has nothing to do with his feelings getting hurt. It has to do with the fact that Mankins originally said some crap about Kraft that isn’t true, he knows its not true, and Kraft wants him to clear it up so that spitting lies out about the owner doesn’t become the precedent for getting your pouty way in contract negotiations in NE. He has every right to ask that of somebody he is about to pay 10′s of millions of dollars to.