Rams fans don't come out for Bradford's debut

It looks like the Rams have found a franchise quarterback.

Sam Bradford’s presence changes everything about the organization.  He gives the team hope and ultimately he’ll win games and sell tickets.  But for now Rams fans have been beaten down too much to vigorously support the home team.

Sunday’s paid attendance at the team’s home opener was 52,440, the fourth-lowest figure at the Edward Jones Dome in the last five seasons.  It’s nearly 15,000 below the stadium’s capacity.

The game wasn’t blacked out because 9,500 unsold premium seats don’t count into the blackout equation.  4,500 regular seats were unsold, which the Rams made up for with a “combination of charitable donations
and corporate partner Edward Jones.”

The tickets figure to be tougher to sell and the blackouts tougher to avoid as a home schedule without a lot of marquee teams wears on.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, St. Louis Rams
29 Responses to “Rams fans don't come out for Bradford's debut”
  1. Stone says: Sep 14, 2010 6:30 PM

“charitable donations” Makes you sick to hear billionaires using fake language like this. Charitable donations are for homeless people, orphaned children, etc. Not for billionaire a-holes or the fans that feel like staying home to watch on TV. Charitable donations. I’ll drop my pants and leave some of them on Kroenke’s doorstop the next time they can’t sell out Rams’ games.

2. redscare says: Sep 14, 2010 6:39 PM

To me, the only real St. Louis football team was the Cardinals. I’ve never been able to shake my rent-a-team impression of the Rams, and hated to see the Cardinals move away. I don’t mean any critique of the players or the teams’ performances over the years – they’ve played some great football – but I think it only diminishes legacies and standing over time to shift them around. Will anyone ever care as much about the Houstan Texans as they did the Houston Oilers? I doubt it.
    And if someone tries to pull a Los Angeles Vikings, that’s it for me and the NFL.

3. i8adawg says: Sep 14, 2010 7:01 PM

She said she was hoping for more than 53 packages. but since it was in Mexican, it was translated to “I’m feeling so embarrassing”

4. steelerfan9598 says: Sep 14, 2010 7:10 PM

UNSOLD PREMIUM SEATS – I see a trend here. I think they SHOULD count towards the blackout restrictions. If that’s what you build, that’s what you should have to sell.

5. Chris says: Sep 14, 2010 7:10 PM

This may be true, but for once there were more Rams fans there than the opposing teams fans (in this case, Cardinals fans).
    The Dome was rocking on Sunday. I haven’t heard the crowd get so loud in 2-3 years.

6. robert ethen says: Sep 14, 2010 7:12 PM

The good intentions of Sam’s grandfather Elmer in changing the family name came to naught. He could just as easily have left it as Blandfudd for all the difference it has made.

7. mwcarolina says: Sep 14, 2010 7:15 PM

8. Ram_Country says: Sep 14, 2010 7:31 PM

Rams have lost 14, 15 home games in a row. When they start winning again, fans will come back. That said, that stadium was pretty loud on Sunday.

9. kosarsmyidol says: Sep 14, 2010 7:48 PM

# mwcarolina says: September 14, 2010 7:15 PM
    “Well, many fans want to see if Bradford can play, i think he can. If he’s healthy, Bradford has the arm to win with, the issue though is the offensive line, can it protect Sam Bradford??? if it can, i expect great things from Bradford, if not, then i just hope Bradford is ok enough to survive this year.”
    Stafford’s in the same boat. I wish that the Lions had beefed up their o-line as much as they did their d-line.

10. 1NationRaiderNation says: Sep 14, 2010 7:48 PM

I wonder how many will show up for the jason cambell debut in oakland?

11. Cincinnasty says: Sep 14, 2010 7:49 PM

Look’s like Cincinnati will face the same dilemma in there home opener.. Which is unacceptable given last years performance in combination with the star power they have on the team..

12. robert ethen says: Sep 14, 2010 7:53 PM

The crowd was deflated by the many Ram fans who made a pilgrimage to watch Oklahoma State play last weekend.

13. NoHomeTeam says: Sep 14, 2010 8:05 PM

Those people in St. Louis are just terrible fans. How dare they not support this team? Real fans turn out no matter how bad the team is.
    Why, they deserve to lose the Rams!
    You know . . . the city couldn’t manage to keep its previous team. Evidently they just don’t care about football there in St. Louis. Oh, sure, they’ll come out when the team is winning, but have a few bad seasons and those front-runners will stay home in droves.
    Ownership should really look into moving the Rams to someplace the team can succeed.
    If only there was an opening in a decent-sized market . . .

14. Wolframpau says: Sep 14, 2010 8:34 PM

The St. Louis fans were taking a wait-and-see approach. Obviously now that Bradford’s the real deal, they will flock to the Dome to support him and the team. There’s still plenty of football to play.

15. Ram_Country says: Sep 14, 2010 8:46 PM

I smell an LA-sized troll….

16. heartstl says: Sep 14, 2010 9:01 PM

It is the show me state… show me you can win some games and the fans will show support by showing up at the games. The worst 3 year stretch in NFL history and other teams have trouble selling out home opener tickets when they were just in the playoffs the year prior.

17. jj jones says: Sep 14, 2010 9:15 PM

London Rams

18. PriorKnowledge says: Sep 14, 2010 9:55 PM

Mexico City Rams

19. nutbuster says: Sep 14, 2010 10:01 PM

the rams suck and that is all

20. Philtration says: Sep 14, 2010 10:16 PM

# redscare says: September 14, 2010 6:39 PM
    ===================================
    Why are the Rams a rent a team for moving to St. Louis but the Cardinals were not?
    The Cardinals played in Chicago for 40 years before moving to St. Louis and they made the move because they could not compete with the Bears.
    It was a financial move just like the Rams made when they left L.A. and Cleveland before that.
    When you have lost one team and your current one cannot draw fans then maybe the NFL is not meant to be in your town and that goes for L.A. too.

21. robert ethen says: Sep 14, 2010 10:42 PM

Among the crowd were plenty of Bradford skeptics. The stadium was filled with “debut taunts”.

22. dennis112484 says: Sep 14, 2010 11:18 PM

just think, the new england patriots almost moved to st. louis 15 years ago. what a disaster that would have been. those sports fans are terrible. thats why nobody cares about st. louis cardinals baseball in any other part of the country. theyve got the next peyton manning and they dont care until after he wins a super bowl. fair-weather, bandwagon losers.

23. MizzouRam says: Sep 14, 2010 11:29 PM

6-43 in last three seasons

24. BigBear123 says: Sep 14, 2010 11:43 PM

One game does not a franchise QB make.
    Bradford probably still doesn’t own a razor, I wouldn’t jump on Rams fans backs so soon. It has been a long drought, can’t expect them to start drinking the kool-aid so soon. Imagine attendance will show signs of improvement as the season wears on.

25. rbais2 says: Sep 14, 2010 11:56 PM

Okay!!!
    Now can they move back to L.A.??????????
    Hell, the team will be closer to Kroenke’s hometown Denver!!!!
    Maybe, the Rams should’ve been sold to Rush Limbaugh. As Stephen A. Smith would say “cuz[St. Louis’] team stinks and we’d have a reason to TALK about them, but GO AHEAD!!!”

26. NoHomeTeam says: Sep 15, 2010 1:22 AM

# heartstl says: “It is the show me state… show me you can win some games and the fans will show support by showing up at the games.”
    Waitaminnit . . . are you actually suggesting that it’s OK for fans to reject a bad on-field product?
    That can’t be. I’m pretty sure I’ve read right here on this board that the kind of people who won’t pay to go see a bad team don’t deserve to have a team.
    # Wolframpau says: “Obviously now that Bradford’s the real deal, they will flock to the Dome to support him and the team.”
    Oh, yeah. Obviously.
    # Ram_Country says: “I smell an LA-sized troll….”
    That’s how we troll, baby . . .

27. This Guy says: Sep 15, 2010 2:17 AM

Pathetic. It seems not long ago the Rams were making the playoffs and dominant in the NFC west. Send them out of St Louis! It’s not baseball Card fans, you can’t expect to compete every year, there is an actual salary cap. You never deserved a football team anyways. ” rent a team”? It wasn’t a rent a team when they were in multiple Super Bowls huh? I’m from Baltimore. I understand losing your team. Get over it! The Ravens sell out every year since created. I don’t want to hear excuses!

28. krakatoa says: Sep 15, 2010 10:55 AM

This Guy: You are correct there is a salary cap in football. You should take a look at the Rams team salary the last few years and compare it to the rest of the NFL. The franchise was going through a sale so expenses were cut and the Rams came no where near the cap. For example, in 2009 the team payroll was dead last at $62million. The next lowest was the Chiefs with $83million! There was a $65million difference between them and th league leader. So while you’re right that the salary cap keeps teams from loading up unlike baseball. But the Rams made no effort to bring in any players. So you’re completely wrong for bringing that into your argument
    I really don’t blame them for waiting for results. The front office has given them a terrible product. That city supported crap for long enough. That team showed absolutely no heart or desire to win the last few seasons. A few more performances like last week and attendance will come back.
    The only way fans can send a message to ownership is to not buy tickets. Too often in the NFL fans blindly buy tickets. Nobody should ever spend $300 to take their family to an NFL game when the product on the field is not NFL quality. Selling out when the team is complete crap keeps the revenues high and gives no incentive for a business minded owner to improve the quality of his product.
    Having said that, the Rams finally had a good draft and actually have an owner now. By all accounts there is more buzz in that city about the team than there has been in years. As long as they keep showing signs of life the fans will show up. I’m not a Rams fan but I lived in St. Louis for a couple of years and they aren’t the best football fans but they certainly are not the worst either.

29. joe.attaboy says: Sep 15, 2010 1:01 PM

How good or bad a team is doesn’t matter. Nor does it matter if you draft a Bradford, a Tebow or whomever the flavor-of-the-draft is this week. No matter how you try to cut it or spin it, there are very, very, very few players in the NFL who will sell out a stadium.
    The economy sucks all over the nation, and NFL tickets aren’t cheap. Blaming the owners for the price of tickets is a straw man. If you want your team to draft or sign talented, big-name guys, they’re going to have to pay, now or later, and ticket sales are the primary source of income for NFL franchises.
    Down here in Jacksonville, the owner has lowered ticket prices as much as he sensibly can. He’s had his sales team build new mini-packages. You can’t do much more than that. Tickets are just too expensive for a lot of people right now.
    I shake my head in disbelief that people fail to understand that who’s on the field isn’t the panacea to the economic issue.