Randy Moss: "I do not want to leave New England"

R. Moss4.jpgAfter months of staying quiet, Randy Moss is suddenly a chatty Kathy.  After his epic press conference Sunday, he spoke with the Boston Herald on Monday, and then with Hannah Storm on ESPN’s SportsCenter Tuesday for an extended interview.

A few highlights:

1.  Moss confirmed that he spoke with Bill Belichick about his comments, and the issue was over.  “He told me watch what I do and what I say,” Moss said.  “I told him, yes sir, I got you.  Simple as that.”

2. It’s clear Moss has a lot of respect for Belichick.  His frustration seems to have come from the Patriots not talking contract to him when he wants to stay.

“I do not want to leave New England. I love what they do here.  I love
coach Belichick.  I love the team, I love playing here on Sundays,” Moss said.

3. Moss acknowledged the timing of his comments were poor, but said that they “relieved” him.  “I wanted to get it off my chest.  I cleared my mind. I feel good about myself. . . . That’s the first and last time you are going to hear from me talk about my contract.”

4. Moss spoke about why he thinks he’s not always embraced publicly. “I love playing football.  All the extracurricular activity that comes with football off the field I don’t care that much about.”

5. Late in the interview, we learned Randy’s reason for talking on ESPN. Asked if he had discussed a new deal with the Patriots, Moss said, “No, but you best believe if we do discuss it, hopefully by me opening up a new Capital Banking online [account], I might be able to put a couple of my dollars with Capital One.”

A crummy commercial . . . son of a bitch.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Randy Moss: "I do not want to leave New England"”
  1. pacificamike says: Sep 14, 2010 12:21 PM

Randy has more pure talent than any other player in the league.
    2 more rings for Brady if randy sticks around. Write it down!

2. Dial-A-Cliche says: Sep 14, 2010 12:26 PM

Unless, of course, I can play with Brett Favre…

3. PFTiswhatitis says: Sep 14, 2010 12:26 PM

“A crummy commercial . . . son of a bitch.”
    Liked that, Gregg!

4. BRUTUS9448 says: Sep 14, 2010 12:31 PM

2 more rings for brady? Lets worry about the first one then we can move to the second one. NE played a crappy cinci team. And they always win their opener. Lets see how they fair by week 8 before crowning them superbowl champs

5. Pastabelly says: Sep 14, 2010 12:32 PM

The only issue I have with Moss is the timing of his comments. He also wasn’t truthful about this being all about business. He is an emotional guy who hates people dumping on him. It is all personal with him and he wants to stay in New England. The problem is that Belichick, ultimately, isn’t going to be authorizing that the Patriots continue to write $9 million a year in checks to an aging wide receiver who depends so much on speed. Belichick has to take care of Welker and develop Edelman and Tate. If Moss is willing to take a hometown discount, he’ll be able to stay in Foxboro as long as he wants to.

6. AllThat says: Sep 14, 2010 12:32 PM

What about when they play an away game?

7. birdmancometh says: Sep 14, 2010 12:33 PM

Ok, “pacificamike – promises two rings for Tom Brady if Randy Moss stays.” Got it. Wait….why do I care?

8. JoeSixPack says: Sep 14, 2010 12:34 PM

A few months ago Moss was ready to leave and was happy to enter into free agency to let the highest bidder gain his services.
    Now he wants to stay in New England and desperately wants a contract extension ASAP
    What changed? Perhaps the realization that there won’t BE a free agency period in 2011, nor a football season and that he’ll be 35 by the time free agency period rolls around in 2012.
    So all of a sudden taking less guaranteed money in 2010 seems like a better deal than going on the market as a 35 year old WR in 2012.
    I don’t think the Patriots will make an offer Moss can accept however, and if they do it should limit guaranteed money and give him significant incentives to earn top dollar.
    Aside from that it’s to the Patriots advantage to give Moss the incentive to have a monster year in 2010 so that teams remember him in 2012

9. Slim Charles says: Sep 14, 2010 12:51 PM

Anyone who has a problem with Moss is definitely a hater, but probably a racist. of course, i’m talking about disliking him personally, obviously hating him beating your team is acceptable.

10. Bell63 says: Sep 14, 2010 12:54 PM

Seems like much ado about nothing. Randy is talented, well versed in football, physically gifted, etc but clearly does not have the greatest judgment. Considering the debacles that were supposed to come about with him signing with NE, a somewhat blunt news conference 3 years in, with a somewhat apology later, seems pretty mild.

11. Jamarcus Leaf says: Sep 14, 2010 12:56 PM

Love this guy.

12. Tom "Horse Toofs" Jackson SUX!!!!! says: Sep 14, 2010 12:58 PM

A crummy commercial…..well played Rosenthal
    Not sure what all the hype is about Moss and his contract/comments about said contract? Sure, it was clearly not the best time t go off on his rant, but he weighed the options, and figured a mistimed rant after a solid Pats win in week one, was better than having to answer questions about his contract from week 1-17 after every game… I am sure BB was pissed, but I am also sure BB can see that Randy was simply trying to diffuse a situation before it started…all in all, even with the poor timing, I think it was a smart move by Moss to take a preemptive strike on the media, and not allow them to bring up his contract on their terms, but rather touch on the subject one time, on his terms.
    Bet you anything there are teams in the league that will be willing to pay him top dollar, but I suspect he stays in New England, at a discounted rate (relatively speaking)

13. Richie's Rebel Rousers says: Sep 14, 2010 1:10 PM

14. minhw0714 says: Sep 14, 2010 1:11 PM

A Christmas Story in September. Touche

15. robert ethen says: Sep 14, 2010 1:11 PM

Aw, Randy wants to settle down and let moss grow on his stones.

16. Sloan says: Sep 14, 2010 1:12 PM

BRUTUS9448 says:
    September 14, 2010 12:31 PM
    ————
    Oh, now Cincy is a crappie team. This is a team with a solid defense ( ranked 5th last year) a better than average QB and a good RB and 1 good WR and one T.O.. But when NE dominates them its because there are crappie. Typical hater talk, always make an excuse as to why they played well, and kill them if they lose.

17. allinSTACKme says: Sep 14, 2010 1:16 PM

Slim Charles, go jump off a cliff. Idiots like you that constantly cry race are the most racist losers on Earth. I hate you because you’re stupid and ignorant. Does that make me racist?

18. Sloan says: Sep 14, 2010 1:21 PM

Richie’s Rebel Rousers says:
    September 14, 2010 1:10 PM
    —————
    That was the first game of 07, they went to the Super Bowl that season, so I am pretty sure they would have had to win a playoff game to get to the Super Bowl..
    MORON!!

19. Bell63 says: Sep 14, 2010 1:22 PM

# Richie’s Rebel Rousers says: September 14, 2010 1:10 PM
    ———————————-
    They were given a bye to the Super Bowl in 07?

20. Pitbull says: Sep 14, 2010 1:22 PM

Favre throws deep to Moss………..TOUCHDOWN!!!! just sounds right, doesnt it?

21. thirdandgoal says: Sep 14, 2010 1:25 PM

anytime a player says they don’t want to leave– it really means they do want to leave.

22. somesome says: Sep 14, 2010 1:31 PM

latest I heard is …. Randy is going to sign with the Jets to have a chance to play with playmaker Sanchez…..

23. footballnut says: Sep 14, 2010 1:32 PM

Richie’s Rebel Rousers says:
    September 14, 2010 1:10 PM
    ——————————————-
    So as a penalty the NFL let the Pats represent the AFC in SB42 without having to win any playoff games?
    You’re an idiot…

24. Deb says: Sep 14, 2010 1:37 PM

Slim Charles, Moss has done plenty of annoying things to make people dislike him … such as taking the podium after a big win ti spout off about personal contract issues. Disliking a black man’s behavior or personality isn’t racist. Racists are idiots who declare that anyone who dislikes a black guy must be racist.
    Moss is a terrific receiver with a lot left to offer. He’s flourished with Belichick, and they should find a way to get it done. But he needs to understand that even the best WRs aren’t worth the same money as superstar QBs. I’m sure if he’s serious about wanting to stay in New England, they’ll work it out.

25. LuvThatDirtyWatah says: Sep 14, 2010 1:38 PM

We dont want you to leave either.
    Sign Welker and Moss….now.

26. CollegeToPros says: Sep 14, 2010 1:41 PM

oh so now minny fans want Moss back?
    too bad. he is ours. BB and Brady love the guy and he will be in a Patriots uniform past this year unless a viable and comparable altermative is available to the Patriots.
    Moss isn’t going back to minny to catch 40 passes a year from T-joke. (favre wont finish this year)

27. Tom "Horse Toofs" Jackson SUX!!!!! says: Sep 14, 2010 1:49 PM

# Richie’s Rebel Rousers says: September 14, 2010 1:10 PM
    ___________________________________
    Does anyone really need to respond to this??? Really Richie. They were the AFC Champs after getting caught “cheating”, meaning they had to win atleast 2 playoff games…C’MON man!!!!

28. benh999 says: Sep 14, 2010 1:59 PM

Pitbull, allow me to fill in your ellipsis:
    “intercepted, he has room to run, one man to beat, Favre on his ass, “

29. CanadianVikingFan says: Sep 14, 2010 2:06 PM

Randy Moss!!!!!

30. cronn100 says: Sep 14, 2010 2:21 PM

Moss to Vikings for Bernard Berrian. Vincent Jackson to Vikings for D-Lineman and draft choices. Viking’s WR’s: V. Jackson, R. Moss, P. Harvin and G. Camarillo. Just dreaming…

31. BP says: Sep 14, 2010 2:21 PM

Moss is getting old for his position. He should be extended but no way in hell at $9 mil per. $3 mil with incentives is the fair way to go. He is finishing his last big contract this year.

32. JoeSixPack says: Sep 14, 2010 2:35 PM

# Richie’s Rebel Rousers says: The Patriots haven’t even won a playoff game since caught cheating! Great coach my arse!!!
    With enemies like this, who needs friends?
    Since when is winning 18 straight games for the first time in NFL history, including 2 playoff wins, considered proof that they “can’t win” without “cheating” ?

33. Dial-A-Cliche says: Sep 14, 2010 2:41 PM

CollegeToPros says:
    oh so now minny fans want Moss back?
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Minnesota fans have always loved Moss and never wanted him traded in the first place.
    He was traded away by Texan used car salesman Red McCombs in order to lower the payroll so he could sell the team.
    If Moss came home, the fans (and Brett Favre) would be delirious.

34. aligreene says: Sep 14, 2010 3:18 PM

belichick said shut up and randy said okay daddy,thats why its over ,randy yeah the timing was wrong but do you, freedom of speech, remember though you have a nice situation there

35. razor ramon says: Sep 14, 2010 3:24 PM

cronn 100 berrian for moss huh… how much crack do u smoke daily?

36. Ken1313 says: Sep 14, 2010 3:26 PM

Moss is actually doing exactly what he needed to do to stay in New England. He is making it clear that he wants to stay here for the rest of his career…and by publically saying this..he is pretty much saying he will take less money to do so……. The Patriots are not the juggernaut they were a few years ago…..but they became that juggernaut by having veteran players come in who were willing to take less money to play for the Patriots. Those players were praised….and Moss has done nothing wrong ….he simply stated his desire to remain here and his frustration at not being offered a contract yet……..YET. Trust me..Brady has already gone on record that he wants Moss here….and that is really all that needs to be said. The rest will fall into place before the end of the season.

37. JimmySmith says: Sep 14, 2010 3:33 PM

The Viking fans are delusional if they think the Pats are going to trade Randy Moss just because Sindey Rice didn’t do the right thing in the off season.
    There is no way it is going to happen so I would advise the Viking fans to go back to dreaming of winning the Superbowl, oddly enough your chances are greater but then again, any chance is higher than zero.

38. The Black Cat says: Sep 14, 2010 3:33 PM

“I do not want to leave New England”…until after I score 3 TDs against the Jets this weekend.

39. 1NationRaiderNation says: Sep 14, 2010 3:36 PM

who care

40. FinFan68 says: Sep 14, 2010 4:21 PM

Slim Charles says:
    September 14, 2010 12:51 PM
    ————————————
    The only obvious racist here is you. People like you constantly inject race into places it does not belong. Stop throwing out the race card to try to win an argument or make a point. Your premise is absolutely wrong.That comment shows your outright stupidity and your inability to see things unskewed by your prism of race. When people “have a problem” with a black person, in your eyes, it must be about their race. Your comment and your victimization attitude are sickening.

41. GRpatriot says: Sep 14, 2010 5:01 PM

How’s it feel to be used?