Browns go silent on Delhomme's ankle

A couple of years ago, Browns coach Eric Mangini would have handled an ankle injury to his starting quarterback by disclosing whether and to what extent the player practiced, and then by describing the injury as “leg”.

If, that is, Mangini had opted to disclose the injury at all.  (See Favre, Lord.)

In 2010, a more pragmatic and conscientious Mangini has emerged.  Still, information deliberately is sketchy regarding the condition of quarterback Jake Delhomme’s ankle.

All sources who would be in a position to know more about Delhomme’s condition have gone silent regarding the ankle, and the silence has been explained to us as an effort to preserve the competitive advantage that comes from forcing this week’s opponents, the Chiefs, to spend time preparing both for Delhomme and for Seneca Wallace.

The effort makes sense.  The quarterbacks have very different styles, and a different defensive game plan would be needed against either one.

During a Wednesday press conference, Mangini applied the say-something-while-saying-nothing approach regarding Delhomme’s ankle.

“I’d say that he’s better, he’s sore,” Mangini said in comments distributed by the team.  “In terms of how long he will be out, he is a pretty tough guy and I’ve had guys who’ve hurt their ankle in the past that have been able to come back and play pretty quickly even that next week.  I’d say he’s day to day. . . .  I’m not really going to characterize it but it is his right ankle. I’d say that he’s getting better and he’ll be day to day.”

Mangini downplayed a report that Delhomme was spotted this week in a walking boot.  “With all those injuries, typically, they are in a boot at different points,” Mangini said.

We’ve got no issue with Mangini and company attempting to conceal Delhomme’s status.  As long as Mangini complies with the letter and the spirit of the rules, it’s fair game to be vague.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
24 Responses to “Browns go silent on Delhomme's ankle”
  1. CapsLockKey says: Sep 15, 2010 4:30 PM

If I’m the Chiefs coaching staff, I prepare for Wallace and consider it a blessing if the INT machine Delhomme ends up playing.

2. East Of Eden 6 says: Sep 15, 2010 4:32 PM

it’s Wednesday September 14th, 1:31pm PST…..
    ….And Jake Delhomme just threw another INT

3. Crusty says: Sep 15, 2010 4:33 PM

Browns went silent years ago

4. j-wil says: Sep 15, 2010 4:33 PM

Bernie Kosar would do as well as the clowns the Browns have at QB- sign him!

5. Nate is Gay for Brady says: Sep 15, 2010 4:37 PM

Delhomme is not going to rush back, CAUSE HE GOT PAID BABY!

6. Ilovefoolsball says: Sep 15, 2010 4:42 PM

7. BernieMac says: Sep 15, 2010 4:50 PM

Favre jr is tough and will be back

8. benh999 says: Sep 15, 2010 4:55 PM

Did I miss a new rule that requires him to elaborate beyond Questionable/Ankle?
    Injury reports are for Vegas, not washed up ambulance-chasers scraping the bottom of the barrel for their gossip blogs.

9. brownsfn19 says: Sep 15, 2010 4:56 PM

Mangini is an IDIOT plain and simple….Dude you are NOT Bill Billecheck and you NEVER will be…get over it…

10. FoozieGrooler says: Sep 15, 2010 5:08 PM

# Ilovefoolsball says: September 15, 2010 4:42 PM
    “WTH PFT? I was the one who patented “Lord Favre” now you’re using it all over the place as if that’s his real name! Sheesh.”
    No, I did.

11. norton99 says: Sep 15, 2010 5:19 PM

I don’t think Mangini’s trying to be evasive.He just doesn’t know and he’s busy trying to win a game.

12. Wallacej says: Sep 15, 2010 5:23 PM

Browns fans can thank the walrus for this batch of qb’s and for ushering in the beginning of yet another losing season.

13. robert ethen says: Sep 15, 2010 5:36 PM

They are going to observe two weeks of silence in memory of Jake’s ankle.

14. C.Bass says: Sep 15, 2010 5:47 PM

Two things to note:
    1. Bernie said (in his drunken 70-year old man voice) on Saturday that he was excited about this season because the browns “were making the hard things look easy”.
    I guess Bernie’s analysis is about as good as his financial planning.
    2. The browns ended last season by winning and running all over teams (Harrison averaged around 170 yards per game over their last 4 games). So how does Mangini start this season? By throwing and running Hillis.
    WTF? Hey Lerner, stop trying to find the next Belicheck. It’s not working. It’s amazing that one franchize can hire terrible coach after terrible coach.

15. trickbunny says: Sep 15, 2010 6:03 PM

Some of the attempts at trying to be funny in this thread are so bad I actually feel sorry for these people.

16. outofexcuses says: Sep 15, 2010 6:25 PM

Browns looked much improved in the first half last week. They got away from running the ball though. Outcoached and outplayed in the second half. I’m not a fan of the Delhomme signing, so seeing Wallace play is something Im looking forward to.

17. Bro Jackson says: Sep 15, 2010 6:39 PM

Browns go silent on Delhomme’s ankle
    Posted by Mike Florio on September 15, 2010 4:23 PM ET
    If, that is, Mangini had opted to disclose the injury at all. (See Favre, Lord.)
    In 2010, a more pragmatic and conscientious Mangini has emerged. Still, information deliberately is sketchy regarding the condition of quarterback Jake Delhomme’s ankle.
    The effort makes sense. The quarterbacks have very different styles, and a different defensive game plan would be needed against either one.
    During a Wednesday press conference, Mangini applied the say-something-while-saying:
    “I’d say that he’s better, he’s sore,” Mangini said in comments distributed by the team. “In terms of how long he will be out, he is a pretty tough guy and I’ve had guys who’ve hurt their ankle in the past that have been able to come back and play pretty quickly even that next week. I’d say he’s day to day. . . . I’m not really going to characterize it but it is his right ankle. I’d say that he’s getting better and he’ll be day to day.”
    Florio, if you are able to quote Mangini for better than a paragraph why is it the title to this reads “Browns go silent on Delhommes ankle” Makes no sense whatsoever.

18. js136202 says: Sep 15, 2010 6:57 PM

Jake Delhomme’s messed up ankle just threw an interception

19. INISHUL says: Sep 15, 2010 7:29 PM

# Ilovefoolsball says: September 15, 2010 4:42 PM
    No, I did.
    ————————————————–
    No, Tebow did

20. Direwolf says: Sep 15, 2010 9:21 PM

Umm, any post that has anything to do with Delhomme being a quarterback (hee hee) is hilarious.
    He is a gift to 31 teams in the league. Harrison avg 5.8 ypc, and they were protecting a 14-3 lead when he threw 2 picks.
    Again, on behalf of sw FL, thanks Jake! Get well soon.

21. snakeman40 says: Sep 15, 2010 9:29 PM

# Ilovefoolsball says: September 15, 2010 4:42 PM
    “No, I did.”
    Y’all lyin’, stealin’, plagurizin’ sum bitches….I came up with that phrase! And I also came up with the name “Florio” and this jackass who writes this column steals it, too!

22. JLawless87 says: Sep 16, 2010 10:53 AM

Direwolf says: September 15, 2010 9:21 PM
    Again, on behalf of sw FL, thanks Jake! Get well soon.
    _____________________________________
    On behalf of Eric ManGINA you are welcome for not unleashing Harrison on you

23. OLDCRACKER says: Sep 16, 2010 1:15 PM

Yah, Snakeman40 is right. I wuz dare wen he din it, 2. Yawl jus a bunch a haters! Lord Favre and crawdads forever….mmmm, love me sum crawdads.

24. DingyHarry says: Sep 16, 2010 1:42 PM

Carolina paid this guy something like 14 million dollars to go away ! What do you expect ? And Penguini and his crew got outplayed and outcoached in the 2nd half by Raheem Morris and Josh Freeman. If the Browns lose to KC, Penguini is a dead man waddling as far as I am concerned. The Belicheck wanna be got outcoached by Raheem Morris let me repeat that. Morris isnt exactly building his own wing on to the hall of fame in Canton.