Gunther Cunningham: Kyle Vanden Bosch is the best I've seen

Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham has been a football coach for decades. In all that time, Cunningham says, Lions defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch is the best of player he’s coached.

“I’ve coached this game a long time and I’ve coached some really good players, a few of them are in the Hall of Fame,” Cunningham said. “But Kyle is the best football player I’ve ever been around in my life. You can talk about stats and sacks, but put on the tape and watch that game. It was the most unbelievable effort I’ve seen in 30 years of coaching by any position player.”

Those are awfully strong words, but Vanden Bosch is obviously the type of player who makes defensive coordinators fall in love. After all, when he became a free agent, Lions head coach Jim Schwartz, who had previously been Vanden Bosch’s defensive coordinator in Tennessee, made a midnight visit to Vanden Bosch’s door to get a deal done.

Cunningham is glad Schwartz was able to bring Vanden Bosch to town.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
50 Responses to “Gunther Cunningham: Kyle Vanden Bosch is the best I've seen”
  1. BarrySanders says: Sep 17, 2010 11:03 AM

Doug Flutie is the best QB I’ve ever seen.

2. birdmancometh says: Sep 17, 2010 11:08 AM

That seems like a stretch.

3. My Coke Can says: Sep 17, 2010 11:09 AM

Who cares. What about vj no not a zj. I need to know for my fft.

4. megatron81 says: Sep 17, 2010 11:09 AM

Vanden Bosch is an absolute warrior and I’d bet on him over any other player in the NFL in a glass knuckled cage match fight to the death.

5. Dapollock says: Sep 17, 2010 11:09 AM

I take it he’s never seen Shincoe’s.

6. Kirk says: Sep 17, 2010 11:10 AM

idk why the titans let him go -_-

7. GoTitans says: Sep 17, 2010 11:10 AM

KVB was a beast in TN. The Titans have had a solid history of releasing players just as they have gone past their prime. LenDale, Kearse, Eddie, McNair, (rip) Rolle, and countless others. I wish him the best!

8. Nosredna says: Sep 17, 2010 11:10 AM

who and who?????

9. jamesz23 says: Sep 17, 2010 11:13 AM

Wow I’m speechless he’s a nice player but is he even better than Aaron Kampman?

10. KD says: Sep 17, 2010 11:14 AM

Didn’t he coach Derrick Thomas?

11. OtisDelmas13 says: Sep 17, 2010 11:16 AM

Best free agent signing outside of Julius Peppers. Others included in the top 10 would be Mr. Corey Williams. Keep it up Mayhew and get some GD wins!!!! Suuuuuuuuuuuh!!!!

12. Eric Hipple says: Sep 17, 2010 11:16 AM

As a longtime Lions fan, Vanden Bosch may be the guy that can finally change the culture of the locker room. Detroit needs several drafts in a row where they build depth on defense, but Vanden Bosch is the guy that can give them an identity to build on now. They haven’t had someone like that since Chris Spielman, and he didn’t have much help.

13. mama tried says: Sep 17, 2010 11:18 AM

A good player, what a rarity in motown!

14. contract says: Sep 17, 2010 11:20 AM

“Cunningham says, Lions defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch is the best of player he’s coached.”
    I think that is the exact moment that senility kicked in.

15. Felton says: Sep 17, 2010 11:21 AM

Jared Allen was also coached by Cunningham. Should be two big games by Allen this year.

16. reo says: Sep 17, 2010 11:24 AM

As a Titans fan, I can say he’s a very underrated player. Detroit got a guy that will motivate the entire team w/ his work ethic. His work ethic is flat out amazing. Easily the hardest worker in the league. I wish him the best.

17. Allied Biscuit says: Sep 17, 2010 11:27 AM

the lions have quite a defensive line now.

18. Hap says: Sep 17, 2010 11:29 AM

Vanden Bosch and N’damacan(sp?) Suh. Seems like a pretty good nucleus.

19. Kaz says: Sep 17, 2010 11:37 AM

Didn’t he coach J. Allen back in KC?

20. philbirds says: Sep 17, 2010 11:38 AM

thank god Klob isnt playing. It won’t matter how good KVB is, because Shaun Hill will be part of the Eagles offense.

21. MuskyHunter2542 says: Sep 17, 2010 11:47 AM

WOW, considdering that he was in KC with some great ones in the mid to late 90’s

22. Canned Gravy says: Sep 17, 2010 11:53 AM

This guy has a way to go to fill the shoes of another guy that Cunningham knew real well…..some Derrick Thomas guy.
    Gimme a break. Apparently VB is due for a contract soon?

23. green man says: Sep 17, 2010 11:54 AM

reo says:
    September 17, 2010 11:24 AM
    ________________________________________
    Like you have any way to possibly know that…
    Decent player but just another “high motor” white guy that everyone gets a hard on for.

24. ICEWALKER says: Sep 17, 2010 12:00 PM

KD says:
    September 17, 2010 11:14 AM
    Didn’t he coach Derrick Thomas?
    +++++++++++++++++++
    I was thinking the same thing…..
    Derrick Thomas:1989-1999
    Gunther Cunningham:1995-2001 (w/Chiefs)
    So yes, Cunningham coached Thomas, in his prime.
    Kaz says:
    September 17, 2010 11:37 AM
    Didn’t he coach J. Allen back in KC?
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Jared Allen:2004-2007 (Chiefs)
    So no, Cunningham never coached J.Allen

25. bamalion3 says: Sep 17, 2010 12:02 PM

from what i read KVB’s work ethic is unparalleled. His motor never quits. I also read that during each play at practice he runs and touches the ball every time.
    I hope he stays with us for a few years b/c I think he will raise the ‘young uns’ right.

26. TitletownUSA says: Sep 17, 2010 12:03 PM

I would have to disagree because Bert Favre is the best. A player is very special when he doesn’t have to go to training camp and the coach will pick you up from the airport.

27. CHIEF ZEE says: Sep 17, 2010 12:24 PM

@megatron81 – I would take Ray Lewis, the guy would kill everyone and get away with it.

28. PirateFreedom says: Sep 17, 2010 12:26 PM

Derrick Thomas got sacks against bad opponents and was a run game liability against good opponents.
    A useful role player on 3rd and long but overrated because sacks are overrated.

29. jameson4504 says: Sep 17, 2010 12:32 PM

hey green man –
    so you’ll probably get a pass on being racist for your comment “another high motor white guy” but I surely will not when saying I’d rather have a high motor white guy than a lazy, over paid/play when-i-want black guy on my team.
    KVB plays every down 110% which is a rarity in this league…and you’re right for the most part the “high motor guys” are white in this league and actually KEEP playing after they get paid
    Its usually best to keep race out of these forums but if you’re going to bring it up I guess it should be addressed in defense of the “high motor white guy”

30. mqmorasch says: Sep 17, 2010 12:33 PM

I would have to say Derrick Thomas was the best player he ever coached!!

31. Bob Sacamano says: Sep 17, 2010 12:34 PM

Gunther definitely coached Jared Allen. He was his coordinator every year Allen was in KC.

32. TBTrojan says: Sep 17, 2010 12:42 PM

Icewalker, he did coach Allen because you seem to be ignoring the years Gunther spent as the DC of KC between 04 & 08

33. Chiefs2010 says: Sep 17, 2010 12:44 PM

VB does go balls to the wall every play..
    But Gunther coached Derrick Thomas…
    In any case, Lions will win this weekend. Mark it.

34. dewalt2990 says: Sep 17, 2010 12:47 PM

Lets see, Julius Peppers had 1 total tackle ALL game, KVB had 10 solos and 11 total.

35. Kirmie says: Sep 17, 2010 12:47 PM

# Canned Gravy says: September 17, 2010 11:53 AM
    Gimme a break. Apparently VB is due for a contract soon?
    ————–
    Acutally, Cunningham brings up the fact that he is saying this even though he has coached HoF’ers like Thomas. He is literally comparing them and saying KVB is better in his opinion.

36. JimmySmithBlows says: Sep 17, 2010 1:14 PM

Its funny how scorned the Packers fans still are…This a Lions post. Yet “Bert” Favre is in a comment. The same Bert Favre that made Green Bay relevant again.

37. 1NationRaiderNation says: Sep 17, 2010 1:29 PM

he said that while wearing knee pads

38. Dewey Axewoond says: Sep 17, 2010 1:40 PM

dewalt2990 says:
    September 17, 2010 12:47 PM
    _______________________________
    Yeah, that’s because the Lions offense couldn’t stay on the field. What did you have, like 5 yards of offense in the seconda half?
    And you conveniently left out that Peppers also had a sack and forced fumble.
    Funny, I would’ve thought you might remember that one, given that your QB crumbled like wet piece of orgami on the hit and came back after halftime with his arm in a sling?
    When will he take the field again?
    Oh, you don’t know?
    So, now that you’ve had that little friendly reminder, let me ask you a question:
    Would you rather have Vandy’s 11 tackles, or your starting QB back?
    That’s what I thought.

39. Dewey Axewoond says: Sep 17, 2010 1:42 PM

This is the dumbest, most exaggerated claim I’ve ever heard.
    Besides, superlatives are stupid. And so are the people who use them.

40. dixinpunani says: Sep 17, 2010 1:55 PM

haha… damn dewalt 2990 you just got roasted!

41. faulkn22 says: Sep 17, 2010 2:46 PM

KVB is a machine. It’s funny, because watching the Bears game last week, my wife kept saying, who is the guy with red eyes that keeps destroying the Bears players? He knocked 1 out of the game (Aromashadu) and a few others out for a few series.
    When a woman that hates football and rarely watches it can not only see that someone is dominating, but doing it over and over again, you know they’re pretty good.
    On the play that he caught Aromashodu, he had to be 20 yards+ away and caught the poor bastard after he ran about 10.
    Gun does like to talk up his players, but I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that KVB is the best he’s coached, or at least top 3 (and that is saying a lot since he’s coached a lot of Pro Bowlers and Hall of Famers).

42. Lucky5927 says: Sep 17, 2010 3:32 PM

Gunther Cunningham: Kyle Vanden Bosch is the best I’ve seen
    Posted by Michael David Smith on September 17, 2010 11:02 AM ET
    Cunningham is glad Schwartz was able to bring Vanden Bosch to town.
    Permalink 40 Comments Latest stories in: Detroit Lions, Latest News and Rumors, NFL Mobile Exclusives – Rumors, Top Stories
    Previous: Jake Delhomme misses practice again, but not ruled out yetNext: Bears fine Brandon Manumaleuna for missing meeting40 Responses to “Gunther Cunningham: Kyle Vanden Bosch is the best I’ve seen”
    BarrySanders says:
    September 17, 2010 11:03 AM
    Doug Flutie is the best QB I’ve ever seen.
    birdmancometh says:
    September 17, 2010 11:08 AM
    That seems like a stretch.
    My Coke Can says:
    September 17, 2010 11:09 AM
    Who cares. What about vj no not a zj. I need to know for my fft.
    megatron81 says:
    September 17, 2010 11:09 AM
    Dapollock says:
    September 17, 2010 11:09 AM
    I take it he’s never seen Shincoe’s.
    Kirk says:
    September 17, 2010 11:10 AM
    idk why the titans let him go -_-
    GoTitans says:
    September 17, 2010 11:10 AM
    Nosredna says:
    September 17, 2010 11:10 AM
    who and who?????
    jamesz23 says:
    September 17, 2010 11:13 AM
    Wow I’m speechless he’s a nice player but is he even better than Aaron Kampman?
    KD says:
    September 17, 2010 11:14 AM
    Didn’t he coach Derrick Thomas?
    OtisDelmas13 says:
    September 17, 2010 11:16 AM
    Eric Hipple says:
    September 17, 2010 11:16 AM
    mama tried says:
    September 17, 2010 11:18 AM
    A good player, what a rarity in motown!
    contract says:
    September 17, 2010 11:20 AM
    I think that is the exact moment that senility kicked in.
    Felton says:
    September 17, 2010 11:21 AM
    reo says:
    September 17, 2010 11:24 AM
    Allied Biscuit says:
    September 17, 2010 11:27 AM
    the lions have quite a defensive line now.
    Hap says:
    September 17, 2010 11:29 AM
    Vanden Bosch and N’damacan(sp?) Suh. Seems like a pretty good nucleus.
    Kaz says:
    September 17, 2010 11:37 AM
    Didn’t he coach J. Allen back in KC?
    philbirds says:
    September 17, 2010 11:38 AM
    MuskyHunter2542 says:
    September 17, 2010 11:47 AM
    Canned Gravy says:
    September 17, 2010 11:53 AM
    Gimme a break. Apparently VB is due for a contract soon?
    green man says:
    September 17, 2010 11:54 AM
    reo says:
    September 17, 2010 11:24 AM
    _________________ ____________________ ___
    Like you have any way to possibly know that…
    ICEWALKER says:
    September 17, 2010 12:00 PM
    KD says:
    September 17, 2010 11:14 AM
    Didn’t he coach Derrick Thomas?
    +++++++++++++++++++ I was thinking the same thing…..
    Derrick Thomas:1989-1999
    Gunther Cunningham:1995-2001 (w/Chiefs)
    So yes, Cunningham coached Thomas, in his prime.
    Kaz says:
    September 17, 2010 11:37 AM
    Didn’t he coach J. Allen back in KC?
    ++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++
    Jared Allen:2004-2007 (Chiefs)
    So no, Cunningham never coached J.Allen
    bamalion3 says:
    September 17, 2010 12:02 PM
    TitletownUSA says:
    September 17, 2010 12:03 PM
    CHIEF ZEE says:
    September 17, 2010 12:24 PM
    PirateFreedom says:
    September 17, 2010 12:26 PM
    A useful role player on 3rd and long but overrated because sacks are overrated.
    jameson4504 says:
    September 17, 2010 12:32 PM
    hey green man –
    mqmorasch says:
    September 17, 2010 12:33 PM
    I would have to say Derrick Thomas was the best player he ever coached!!
    Bob Sacamano says:
    September 17, 2010 12:34 PM
    TBTrojan says:
    September 17, 2010 12:42 PM
    Chiefs2010 says:
    September 17, 2010 12:44 PM
    VB does go balls to the wall every play..
    But Gunther coached Derrick Thomas…
    In any case, Lions will win this weekend. Mark it.
    dewalt2990 says:
    September 17, 2010 12:47 PM
    Kirmie says:
    September 17, 2010 12:47 PM
    # Canned Gravy says: September 17, 2010 11:53 AM
    Gimme a break. Apparently VB is due for a contract soon?
    ————–
    JimmySmithBlows says:
    September 17, 2010 1:14 PM
    1NationRaiderNation says:
    September 17, 2010 1:29 PM
    he said that while wearing knee pads
    Dewey Axewoond says:
    September 17, 2010 1:40 PM
    dewalt2990 says:
    September 17, 2010 12:47 PM
    ____________________ ___________
    And you conveniently left out that Peppers also had a sack and forced fumble.
    When will he take the field again?
    Oh, you don’t know?
    Would you rather have Vandy’s 11 tackles, or your starting QB back?
    That’s what I thought.
    ————————————————
    I think your statement is funny as hell. I am sure the Lions would rather have Stafford back. But to answer your question… The lions had 55 offensive snaps in that game. Paying a DE 90 plus million dollars to make 1 tackle a game is definitely not getting your money’s worth. Sure he had a sack. So this many other players on Sunday and they were paid ALOT less. So yeah I would say KVB outplayed Peppers and has given more return on his investment than Peppers did. And yes, the Lions rushed for a pathetic chunk of yards, but they still only had 1 less rushing first down than the Bears (Lions 3 to Bears 4). So I wouldn’t be so quick to dog the Lions running game. New year, new OC, and the bears still can’t punch it in from the 1 yard line on multiple tries. haha.

43. Dewey Axewoond says: Sep 17, 2010 5:01 PM

Did you really just copy and paste the whole entire post and all the comments?
    I’m not sure who is more retarded–you for doing that, or the PFT lackey who approved posting it.
    We’ll see about the “return on the investment” in Peppers. It’s been one game, genius.
    And I wasn’t dogging the Lions running game–I was extolling the Bears run defense.
    If you want to hang your hat on how one player outplayed another (and ignore the lopsided statistics and eventual outcome), knock yourself out.

44. Lucky5927 says: Sep 17, 2010 5:37 PM

I copied your idiotic post. So get your facts straight first ( and damn dude, try recognizing your own handywork) And yes, it was just one game, because thats all we have to go by. But considering the Lions offensive line is note noted for its strength, most would have expected Peppers to play better. And extolling the bears run defense against the Lions is like praising the Cardinals Defense for picking off 3 Sam Bradford passes. The Bears have a lot of talent on that front seven and should play that well every week. But they won’t because they are underacheivers and inconsistent. And I would say just about everyone acknowledges the outcome was skewed by an overuling of an obvious touchdown. It won’t matter in the end. Lions will win this weekend and the Bears will get knocked around by the Cowboys.

45. HAWKSTER says: Sep 17, 2010 6:06 PM

I was fortunate to coach Kyle in two sports in high school. He was a unique human being when it came to his work ethic and desire to be his best. He was always the first in the gym and the last to leave. He never to a drill off in any drill that I ever coached. He was a first team all state bb player averaging over 20 pts and 14 rbs per game. When you see him every drill like Gunther you say those things because you can compare him to anyone else that you’ve ever coached. Kyle will tell you he is not even close to the most talented player in the NFL or even on his team, but no one will ever out work him. He brings out the best in everyone (Albert Haynesworth!) I’m sure Albert didn’t always like Kyle on his butt, but it got him a lot of money. Kyle is a very special player and even a better person. I’d want him in my foxhole!

46. faulkn22 says: Sep 17, 2010 6:48 PM

Eventual outcome. You mean the Lions winning the game and then the ref’s going against 80+% of the country, stealing the win, and then giving it to your sorry asses? If thats what you meant, then yeah…

47. ICEWALKER says: Sep 17, 2010 7:41 PM

TBTrojan says:
    September 17, 2010 12:42 PM
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Woah! I didn’t ignore……I just flat out f-ed up! Sorry. I didn’t read far enough. You are right. G. Cunningham was DC in Kansas City a second time….2004-2008.
    Good catch. Sorry. I try to be a poster that gets things right. I failed you all.

48. Page88 says: Sep 17, 2010 7:49 PM

I agree Hawkster. Those of us who know Kyle understand what Cunningham is saying. And given what Kyle is going through right now, his effort is even more amazing. He is one of a kind and an exceptional role model…and green man…you are an idiot.

49. Dewey Axewoond says: Sep 17, 2010 8:06 PM

You guys are laughable–ONE goal line stand, ONE athletic–yet CLEARLY debatable (otherwise, why would it even be debated) catch, and suddenly it’s the BEARS who are the pathetic team?
    People, myself included, never really hated the Lions, because even though they are epic, record-breaking sure-as-the-sine-rises losers, perpetually mired in futility, they at least always lost with some dignity.
    So much for that.
    You kids just keep on crying–cry me a river–and I’ll go canoeing, okay?

50. The Filth says: Sep 18, 2010 6:06 PM

Its nice to see something positive said about a guy that’s been great for so many years – quietly.