Julius Peppers won't appeal fine

As mentioned in Friday’s one-liners, Bears defensive end Julius Peppers was fined $5,000 for a hit to Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford’s head last week.  Peppers won’t appeal the fine, according to the Chicago Tribune.

“I’m not going to appeal that,” Peppers said. “My hand got high. I’d do
the same thing again. I’m coming around his body to swipe the ball, and
my hand hit his head.”

Peppers later sacked Stafford, injuring the quarterback when he landed on Stafford’s shoulder.  Lost somewhat in the ending to the Bears-Lions game was Peppers’ strong debut.

Chicago’s defense dominated before and after Stafford left.  Lance Briggs and Brian Urlacher are finally healthy at the same time. I watched Peppers closely all game and he had great effort throughout.  Cornerback Charles Tillman had a nice performance.

It’s only one week against the Lions, but the Bears defense has plenty of positives to build off after three mediocre defensive seasons since they made the Super Bowl.

If Tommie Harris can find some meat, this defense may really have something.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
18 Responses to “Julius Peppers won't appeal fine”
  1. Pistol says: Sep 17, 2010 10:38 AM

“If only Tommie Harris can find some meat…”
    Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

2. kravon says: Sep 17, 2010 10:39 AM

Does Julius really know what the work “appeal” means?
    Someone please explain it to him.
    Kravon
    PFT English Expert

3. RobF2010 says: Sep 17, 2010 10:45 AM

Yeah, Peppers is good for two or three good efforts per year. There’s good money in that for defensive linemen. Peppers, Mario Williams, and Albert Haynesworth are living proof.

4. dewalt2990 says: Sep 17, 2010 10:49 AM

After doing my minute of research, I’ve found that Peppers had 1 tackle in that impressive game. A nice tackle, solo, FF, sack, but 1 tackle nonetheless. And anyone notice the Lions havn’t signed another QB? Stafford’s injury is likely minor.

5. mama tried says: Sep 17, 2010 11:12 AM

bears should’a lost!!!
    Zebras screwed up!

6. Jared Allen's Shart Stain says: Sep 17, 2010 11:15 AM

kravon says:
    September 17, 2010 10:39 AM
    Does Julius really know what the work “appeal” means?
    Someone please explain it to him.
    Kravon
    PFT English Expert
    __________________
    Please replace “work” with “word.”
    Thank you for your cooperation.
    Shart Stain
    PFT English Dept. – Internal Affairs

7. wyobroncoboy says: Sep 17, 2010 11:25 AM

Jared Allen’s Shart Stain says:
    September 17, 2010 11:15 AM
    kravon says:
    September 17, 2010 10:39 AM
    Does Julius really know what the work “appeal” means?
    Someone please explain it to him.
    Kravon
    PFT English Expert
    _________________ _
    Please replace “work” with “word.”
    Thank you for your cooperation.
    Shart Stain
    PFT English Dept. – Internal Affairs
    Word!!

8. petro says: Sep 17, 2010 11:27 AM

I’d like to appeal the size of Peppers’ ears.

9. Nacho Libre says: Sep 17, 2010 11:31 AM

Yeah, he always comes up big against the scrub teams, 3-4 big games a year where all his stat totals come from. Enjoy him Bears, be excited, but brace yourself for some major disappointments and one of the best disappearing acts for long stretches of the season as well. I loved him as a Panther, but he’s an enigma. Reminds of Barry Sanders, awesome talent, kinda reclusive and then just up and does some weird stuff and vanishes.

10. mama tried says: Sep 17, 2010 11:57 AM

OOOOOOOOOO, Peppers was good against the lions!!! My damn granny could be good against the Lions, and she’s dead!!!!

11. Jabberwocky says: Sep 17, 2010 12:13 PM

Just like in any defense, DEs aren’t supposed to rack up tackles. LBs are supposed tol; look no further than Urlacher and Briggs numbers for the game. They’re there to make impact plays, in which he did. He alone got the Bears an extra three points before the end of the half. The Beast will be hunting Romo this Sunday!

12. Dewey Axewoond says: Sep 17, 2010 12:33 PM

Knew Florio didn’t write this, the second I saw there was nothing snarky and dergatory about the Bears in it.
    All those positives weren’t lost on Bears fans–we noticed how the defense played (even if no one else did).
    And now, if the Bears win against Dallas, do you know what all the stories will be about?
    The implosion of Dallas, what did Dallas do wrong, why are they underperforming, etc.
    The Bears won’t REALLY have a chance to be noticed and credited for how improved they are this year until the following week–Green Bay on Monday night.
    We’ll know a lot more about them then, but my (admittedly biased) hunch is–with all the talent they have on both sides of the ball–(and if everyone stays healthy), they’re going to be a team to reckon with this year.
    Watch.

13. steelerdynasty says: Sep 17, 2010 12:44 PM

@kravon
    ummm, dont really get your joke. he used the word properly…not to mention that you sound like total tool with your “work” instead of “word”. If you’re gonna criticize someone’s english, get yours straight first

14. Tony B says: Sep 17, 2010 1:47 PM

I can’t remember what Lions player was called for the “roughing the passer” early in the game. However I hope he too was fined because it was a “blow to the head” call.
    I’m also sick of everyone saying the Lions should have won this game. The refs called the rule as it is written.
    This same EXACT thing happend to the Bears AGAINST Detroit in 2004 (Bernard Berrian). Go take a look….

15. Other Bears says: Sep 17, 2010 2:35 PM

This is absolute garbage! Peppers SHOULD appeal on principle. The “hit” was the definition of inadvertent. I wouldn’t even call it a hit. He jumped up to swat the ball, missed the ball, his hand hit Stafford’s helmet and Peppers’ momentem took him to Stafford’s body and knocked him down. After the play, while being called for the penalty, he helped Stafford up and the two were both talking and smiling. The penalty was adequate punishment. This fine is ridiculous. If I were Stafford, I would mail Peppers a check for $5K, and make it public, just to make a point. I know it’s chump change per his contract, but that doesn’t mean the NFL should just be able to take it at will.

16. Other Bears says: Sep 17, 2010 2:39 PM

petro says:
    September 17, 2010 11:27 AM
    I’d like to appeal the size of Peppers’ ears.
    ———————-
    Freakin’ brilliant

17. ChicagoJo says: Sep 17, 2010 4:14 PM

“Chicago’s defense dominated before and after Stafford left. Lance Briggs and Brian Urlacher are finally healthy at the same time. I watched Peppers closely all game and he had great effort throughout. Cornerback Charles Tillman had a nice performance.”
    Nice, obviously Rosey writing. Florio’s would’ve read
    “Chicago’s defense remained largely unchanged after a cheap hit gave them their only chance to win when QB Stafford left. After years of futility Lance Briggs and the oft-injured and overrated Brian Urlacher didn’t disappoint the way many expected them to, but it is only week 1. I didn’t see Peppers, who the Bears grossly overpaid in this off-season, all game because I was too busy worrying if Chilly and Favre will get their elite offense back on track. God, I love Brett he’s so cool and handsome I wish he would ask me to be his. Cornerback Charles Tillman is the only reason the Bears didn’t lose far before the final play of the game that should’ve give the Lions a win in week 1.”

18. Brennan says: Sep 17, 2010 5:44 PM

@ChicagoJo
    Yes. That was awesome.
    The Bears won’t get any credit until the monday night game against Green Bay (if we win)
    Go Bears.