Drew Brees dissects facing a 3-4 defense

D. Brees5.jpgIt’s a sleepy Saturday in the NFL, as teams are finishing final preparations for Week Two.  As Bill Belichick would say, “The Hay is in the Barn.”

So let’s take a quick detour from the rumors and scandal and talk X’s and O’s. Here’s Saints quarterback Drew Brees, on the troubles of facing a 3-4 defense.  Take it away, Drew:

“Well, you know, you try to kind of visualize that 3-4 as a 4-3, ” Brees said this week, via the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “So who becomes that fourth pass rusher? And just kind of
understanding how 3-4 defenses bring pressure. Typically, variable, to
making it seem almost like they are bringing more than they are. As you
look at a 4-3 defense, there’s four down and then, you know, the three
linebackers. When you look at a 3-4, there’s five guys on the line of
scrimmage and two at linebacker level.

“So all of a sudden, you start
rotating safeties, and you can bring two from a side, but then you’re
actually dropping one out on the backside, and so in your mind you
might, you know, be in a zone pressure, and in that case you’re
thinking, ‘oh, man, it feels like they’re bringing six, ‘ but they’re
only bringing five because they dropped somebody out.”

It was at this point Brees noticed the reporters struggling to keep up with the movements in Brees’ head.

“You know, it’s just different if you don’t see it all that often.”

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
46 Responses to “Drew Brees dissects facing a 3-4 defense”
  1. robert ethen says: Sep 18, 2010 11:52 AM

“Truthfully guys, I have absolutely no idea what’s going on downfield. At my height all I can see are a bunch of numbers on some big guys backs.”.

2. Saints-America'sTeam says: Sep 18, 2010 11:57 AM

This guy is brilliant…and STILL underrated. I think this year others will believe he’s the best QB in the league on ANY day too. We’re so lucky to have him. Thanks for passing on him Miami!

3. pmm0455 says: Sep 18, 2010 12:01 PM

Who Dat!

4. Hauschild says: Sep 18, 2010 12:03 PM

Yeah, that Drew Brees – he’s a regular rocket scientist.
    Sheesh?!?!?

5. zilla1126 says: Sep 18, 2010 12:04 PM

That just tells you about the airheads that cover football if they really could not keep up with that.
    And that was not even Brees really saying anything – he was *already* dumbing it down for them.
    This was “explain as you would a child” – Galaxy Quest style.

6. Colts18 says: Sep 18, 2010 12:21 PM

I understood that. If you play madden, hell, you should understand that. Where do I sign up to be a football coach?

7. jayy says: Sep 18, 2010 12:23 PM

8. JDeezy says: Sep 18, 2010 12:28 PM

Xs and Os

9. ICEWALKER says: Sep 18, 2010 12:28 PM

zilla1126 says:
    September 18, 2010 12:04 PM
    This was “explain as you would a child” – Galaxy Quest style.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Excellent quote! Great movie.

10. capt. spaulding says: Sep 18, 2010 12:30 PM

Who doesn’t know that? Even an average fan has had that beaten into their head every Sunday afternoon. What are you doing writing for this site??
    Rosenthal…your one of the reporters having a hard time keeping up.

11. Foootball says: Sep 18, 2010 12:32 PM

“So let’s take a quick detour from the rumors and scandal…”
    11 words I thought I’d never see on PFT!

12. Footballz says: Sep 18, 2010 12:35 PM

As a Vikings fan could not have been beat by a better QB. This guy is brilliant. Watched him at Purdue and San Diego and loved it then too.

13. PkrNboro says: Sep 18, 2010 12:40 PM

Gregg,
    If you’re going to author comments/articles on a blog — you should seriously consider acquiring the requisite skills.
    This is a joke:
    Drew Brees dissects facing a 3-4 defense
    WTF does that mean, exactly ?
    In view of it being the title, you’re highlighting your own inadequacies.
    Read a book (once a year, at least…)
    Regards…

14. Saints-America'sTeam says: Sep 18, 2010 12:49 PM

Yeah, Hauschild. Keep watching and if you remove your head from the place where the sun don’t shine you’ll see his rocket soar to another SB. TWO DAT!!!!!!!

15. JИD says: Sep 18, 2010 1:06 PM

His name is spelled:
    XLIV MVP

16. Ilovefoolsball says: Sep 18, 2010 1:06 PM

# robert ethen says: September 18, 2010 11:52 AM
    ____________
    There you are Robert Ethen! I was wondering if you and Pervy went on a little vacation together to relieve yourself from the shame of last Thursday night’s game.
    Hey by the way, where were you after that game? We miss your not-so-veiled empty threats that you wrote for your viking team which they couldn’t deliver on.
    Yeah Drew Brees isn’t the tallest QB, but he has one more Superbowl Ring than your viking team does, even with all of the tall quarterbacks you’ve had!
    In a lot of instances size does matter, but at QB apparently it doesn’t.
    (it’s also a good excuse for you to keep telling the girl you’re dating so she’ll stop laughing at you whenever you reveal yourself to her, just say “hey size doesn’t matter for Drew Brees, and neither does it for me! I’m superbowl bound baby!)

17. Slow Joe says: Sep 18, 2010 1:07 PM

“that reporter needs to be fired then because i knew exactly what brees was talkin about and i have a full job im 22 and footballs not my job..i realized throughout the yrs i could be a better analyist that most people i hear on tv and radio and websites. i would have better blogs and everythin voice of the people thats my blog name hahaa”
    @jayy: I bet that reporter could actually spell. And construct a readable paragraph.

18. Who is Mike Jones says: Sep 18, 2010 1:44 PM

It’s easy to sit back and watch your television screen and see Drew execute touchdown drives. Do you have any idea how accurate he is with a pass rush and defensive scheme at his height? If you have walked on a football field at any level in your life and stood behind the center and been a part of a football play, than you can truly respect what Drew Brees does every week in the NFL!

19. Hauschild says: Sep 18, 2010 1:52 PM

Aints-AmericasTeam,
    Another classic brought to us by the region that maybe didn’t create inbreeding, but certainly embraced it.
    Where has all the intellect gone???

20. jebdamone says: Sep 18, 2010 2:23 PM

i don’t know…didn’t really have much trouble understanding drew…would love to hear more actually.

21. Dustin Chandler says: Sep 18, 2010 2:25 PM

Slow Joe says:
    September 18, 2010 1:07 PM
    ahahahahaha

22. Admiral Obvious says: Sep 18, 2010 2:39 PM

I agree 100%. Reporters & bloggers don’t know much about football and are, in general, too lazy to find out. Take Flo for example.

23. clint_taurus says: Sep 18, 2010 2:46 PM

I can’t wait to not read jayy’s blog…

24. CollegeToPros says: Sep 18, 2010 2:50 PM

anyone who plays madden could understand a lot moe complicated stuff than that.

25. prophet of the light says: Sep 18, 2010 3:31 PM

One of my top 3 favorite players not on the Patriots. A great QB.

26. Pervy says: Sep 18, 2010 3:39 PM

Why don’t you dissect that face amoeba while you are at it and shave your head…we know you are going bald…

27. Al Davis is my Christ says: Sep 18, 2010 3:53 PM

PkrNboro says:
    September 18, 2010 12:40 PM
    Gregg,
    This is a joke:
    Drew Brees dissects facing a 3-4 defense
    WTF does that mean, exactly ?
    ___________________________
    let’s break this down for you, since you see fit to attack his writing, without taking into account your own inadequate reading skills
    Drew Brees (subject) disects (verb) Facing a 3-4 defense (noun clause, object of the verb.)
    what’s so hard to understand here? I get it that Gerunds are a little tricky, but dude how about you put down your Harry Potter drivel and come back to reality. I hate grammar nazis on the internet, because you are so emblematic of them. I teach English for a living, but I’m smart enough to see the difference between blog writing and literature. You freak out because of a perfectly good sentence and show your own stupidity. What have you got to say for yourself?

28. FrankoBollo says: Sep 18, 2010 4:16 PM

Is he really that “brilliant”?
    Did he win the NFC Championship Game — or did Favre simply lose it?
    Did he win the Super Bowl — or did Manning simply lose it?
    You tell me.

29. ICEWALKER says: Sep 18, 2010 4:31 PM

Ilovefoolsball says:
    September 18, 2010 1:06 PM
    # robert ethen says: September 18, 2010 11:52 AM
    ____________
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    robert ethan says a lot of funny stuff. Pervy says a lot of funny stuff WITH A VIKING BIAS.
    robert ethan will post on all different stories. I never considered him a Viking fan at all. He just comes up with some funny, funny stuff.

30. mikemcsaint says: Sep 18, 2010 4:38 PM

I knew there’d be Viking fans on here. Amazing that robert ethen makes fun of the quarterback that keeps kicking his team’s ass. But when your not good enough to win on the field this is what you have to fall back on.

31. Stumplicious_wannagetwitthis says: Sep 18, 2010 4:45 PM

Bree’s is brilliant! Hopefully his receiver’s will catch the ball for him. Week 1 was a struggle.

32. Mrsteve says: Sep 18, 2010 5:29 PM

Well I overthrow the ball & hope for a phantom PI call. Or I hand it off & my RB gets stopped short, maybe my WR drops the ball I skip to him but the refs call it a first down anyway.

33. mikemcsaint says: Sep 18, 2010 5:40 PM

@FIs he really that “brilliant”?
    Did he win the NFC Championship Game — or did Favre simply lose it?
    Did he win the Super Bowl — or did Manning simply lose it?
    You tell me.
    rankoBollo says:
    Well Franko, he won it and here’s how. Unlike Favre and Manning, Brees made no mistakes with the ball. Zero turnovers. He was smart enough to know what to do and not to do. He could have very easily made the same mistakes but is more accurate than both Manning and Favre.

34. mikemcsaint says: Sep 18, 2010 5:43 PM

Again asshole’s like Hauschild reverting to crap like his and asking where the intellect has gone. Well it sure isn’t in Minnesota and you’re making sure of that. You can’t argue football because your team is always an also ran. You are as pathetic as they are. Maybe one day you’ll be a winner too, but probably not.

35. 56chevygirl says: Sep 18, 2010 5:51 PM

FrankoBollo, No Brees didn’t win the NFC Championship – the Saints Team did
    No He didn’t win the Super Bowl – the Saints Team did
    Keep telling yourself DivaFavre lost the game BOTH times that Saints have beaten them now, and that Manning lost the SuperBowl and the Saints will keeping making you doubters keep coming up with the same old tired excuses.
    Next up = making Mike Singletary look like an idiot on MNF for saying the 49ers “will stop Drew Brees”.

36. mikemcsaint says: Sep 18, 2010 6:14 PM

and Mrs Teve still crying. One day you’ll grow up and get past it. Or maybe not…… maybe one day you’ll just get past it.
    Mrs Teve, if you want you can come down and take a tour of the Saints facility and drool over the Lombardi trophy, you know, like the one that the Vikings ha…, oh yeah, they don’t have one.

37. PurplePeopleBeaters says: Sep 18, 2010 6:38 PM

# FrankoBollo says: September 18, 2010 4:16 PM
    Is he really that “brilliant”?
    Did he win the NFC Championship Game — or did Favre simply lose it?
    Did he win the Super Bowl — or did Manning simply lose it?
    You tell me.
    —————————————————-
    Well…he had 8 TD and 0 INT in the playoffs, and also completed a Super Bowl record 32 passes. So…you tell me.

38. Pervy says: Sep 18, 2010 8:43 PM

djkeitse- It is always a good day for me…I caught a limit of bluegill for dinner tonight… LOl

39. LuvThatDirtyWatah says: Sep 18, 2010 8:48 PM

San Diego was so smart for dumping Brees. Miami was equally as smart not to sign him.
    Baha ha ha ha! OK, I tried keeping a straight face as I typed that.

40. PurplePeopleBeaters says: Sep 18, 2010 8:52 PM

Vikings are 0-1…and will probably be 0-2 after tomorrow, yet their “fans” are crying about losing the NFC Championship game LAST season.
    Hilarious.

41. Pervy says: Sep 18, 2010 10:25 PM

@ BeatMyMeatPurple- Nobody cares about last year chud….1-1 tomorrow and going to the SB

42. whodaywhodat says: Sep 18, 2010 11:32 PM

Drew Brees career>Brett Favres career

43. hockref says: Sep 19, 2010 12:12 AM

LOl @ all the Madden Comments and I wish PFT would do more of this Xs and Os stuff. Even just one post to start or end the day that looks at the technical side. Anybody know a good Xs and Os site the breaks down the technical sides of the games each week.

44. PurplePeopleBeaters says: Sep 19, 2010 1:20 AM

Pervy says:
    September 18, 2010 10:25 PM
    ————————————————————-
    Whatever you say, Herpy. Vikings suck and will NEVER win a Super Bowl.
    ————————————————————–
    whodaywhodat says:
    September 18, 2010 11:32 PM
    Drew Brees career>Brett Favres career
    —————————————————————-
    You are correct, and it’s not even close.

45. joetoronto says: Sep 19, 2010 7:54 AM

PurplePeopleBeaters says: September 18, 2010 8:52 PM
    Hilarious.
    *********************************************************
    Buddy, I have no idea who you are but I feel I have to tell you this anyway.
    Do NOT bet against the Vikings today, just say no.

46. PurplePeopleBeaters says: Sep 19, 2010 6:41 PM

joetoronto says: September 19, 2010 7:54 AM
    Buddy, I have no idea who you are but I feel I have to tell you this anyway.
    Do NOT bet against the Vikings today, just say no.
    —————————————————-