Sean Payton, Mike Singletary were once Bears "teammates," sort of

There was a slightly awkward moment at coach Sean Payton’s Saturday press conference, when a reporter mentioned that Payton and his next opponent, 49ers coach Mike Singletary, once played for the Bears.

The reality is that, while both were members of the 1987 Bears, Payton was a Chicago-style Shane Falco, playing in three games while Singletary and the “real” Bears were on strike.

But Payton didn’t pick the scab off of his time as a, um, scab.  Instead, he deftly avoided mentioning that he was a replacement player.

“We weren’t really teammates,” Payton said.  “He was not playing and then we came in and played.”

At least Payton didn’t say, “We didn’t try to cross the picket line.  We did cross the picket line.  Next question.”

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
22 Responses to “Sean Payton, Mike Singletary were once Bears "teammates," sort of”
  1. jbwbubba says: Sep 18, 2010 6:33 PM

What Payton should have said was the truth. Back in 87′ Players thought they were bigger than the game and walked away. Then someone asked me, “you want to get paid to play in the NFL?” and I said “hell yeah”!

2. superb owl says: Sep 18, 2010 6:38 PM

it would have been hilarious if he said that.

3. FinFan68 says: Sep 18, 2010 6:52 PM

The thing that these players need to remember: fans still went to the games even though the “stars” didn’t want to play

4. Jack in the Jack says: Sep 18, 2010 7:01 PM

Grasping at straws…Really Florio, couldn’t you think of something better? Geez! You’re a loser!

5. robert ethen says: Sep 18, 2010 7:15 PM

It was his brother Walter.

6. El Colon says: Sep 18, 2010 7:15 PM

love the Shane Falco reference

7. PurplePeopleBeaters says: Sep 18, 2010 7:48 PM

Well, back then Singletary was a good player, Payton wasn’t.
    Now…Payton is a good coach, and Singletary isn’t.

8. CYGNUS X-1 says: Sep 18, 2010 7:48 PM

the owners should do the same thing next year.I would watch them just like I did that year. alot of people did and enjoyed it.it would be a nice change of pace watching someone play the game who enjoyed and not complain about money after every good play they make.

9. Hailskinzz says: Sep 18, 2010 7:53 PM

Kool but who cares

10. bluenoser says: Sep 18, 2010 7:55 PM

LMFAO

11. fleet10 says: Sep 18, 2010 8:38 PM

At least Payton has a job in the NFL, instead of spending his entire life pretending to in some way be “involved” in the NFL.

12. section128drunk says: Sep 18, 2010 9:02 PM

I remember those games, and to be blunt, if you think watching the 4th preseason game is brutal, you don’t even want to know how bad replacement football was..

13. Nola North says: Sep 18, 2010 9:21 PM

PurplePeopleBeaters says:
    September 18, 2010 7:48 PM
    Well, back then Singletary was a good player, Payton wasn’t.
    Now…Payton is a good coach, and Singletary isn’t.
    _____________
    tou-che
    or should I say
    Two Dat!!

14. superb owl says: Sep 18, 2010 9:26 PM

I remember it well.
    the 49ers stars did cross the line. they smoked oppos for those 3 weeks.
    then they (13-2) played an underrated vikes (8-7) team in the playoffs.
    and got smoked.

15. contract says: Sep 18, 2010 9:46 PM

“The thing that these players need to remember: fans still went to the games”
    Some did, but most didn’t. TV ratings also dropped.

16. Chiefs2010 says: Sep 18, 2010 10:06 PM

@ robert ethan
    hahaha

17. Mike McCarthy's Moobs says: Sep 18, 2010 10:07 PM

I was pretty young back then, but I remember that I really liked the ’87 strike because the replacement players for the Packers were actually capable of winning games, unlike the regular team at the time.

18. rea725 says: Sep 18, 2010 10:16 PM

Big labor has no place in football…or anywhere, frankly, in this day and age.

19. TheWizard says: Sep 18, 2010 10:16 PM

And if the “replacement” players played long enough, there would be no need for the “stars” to ever return.
    That’s the dirty little secret the unions don’t want anyone to believe.

20. joetoronto says: Sep 19, 2010 9:14 AM

CYGNUS X-1 says: September 18, 2010 7:48 PM
    *********************************************************
    I agree completely. Like so many others, I’m sick and tired of the NFLPA and their greedy, selfish attitude.
    Give them a big dose of reality, just do it.

21. wyoff says: Sep 19, 2010 10:14 AM

Look at all the shills for Billionaires on this page…

22. william sizemore says: Sep 19, 2010 12:02 PM

The bottom line is he was and will always be a scab, I wouldn’t want him on my team as a player or coach, it has nothing to do with a union, its about stepping on some one who right or wrong is trying to stand up to what they felt was the owners treating them bad, one needs to look at his values, however hes a republican and we all know where they stand. Bill p.s. The real difference is my QB went on strike and supported his team mates as all team mates should do.