Steelers cut Leftwich

In a move that at first blush is a surprise but on closer review isn’t, the Steelers have released veteran quarterback Byron Leftwich.

It appears to be the time-honored 54-man roster trick, in which the roster is expanded but cutting a vested veteran who won’t exercise his prerogative to sign with a new team, and who then will re-sign with the team the following week.

The move allows the team to elevate an extra man from the practice squad temporarily, to fill a specific need.

After the trade deadline, the move entails some risk.  At that point, all players must pass through waivers, including vested veterans.

Leftwich loses nothing in the process.  He was paid for Week Two, and if (when) he’s re-signed, he’ll be paid for Week Three.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
53 Responses to “Steelers cut Leftwich”
  1. the immortal SCURDS says: Sep 18, 2010 4:37 PM

gosh, and here i thought good sports journalism is on the wane. what an awesome, useful informative piece of reporting. this is what pulitzer had in mind when he came upwith the nobel prize.

2. drumbug71 says: Sep 18, 2010 4:42 PM

I understand the logic, but it seems strange to choose Leftwich as your “vested veteran” here, especially when the QB situation is being so closely monitored this season.
    Heck, Leftwich left once in free agency, whats to stop him from looking around and seeing who else is available? :)

3. jediwrstlr says: Sep 18, 2010 4:42 PM

hahahahahaha
    HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    ITS A GOOD DAY!

4. GeeBee says: Sep 18, 2010 4:43 PM

Oh, I thought they just cut him because he sucks.

5. nutbuster says: Sep 18, 2010 4:46 PM

about time that dude sucks more than queerdell stewart if you know what I mean?

6. UnsportsmanlikeConduct says: Sep 18, 2010 5:00 PM

Scurds, Pulitzer came up with the Pulitzer prize. The Swedes came up with the Nobel prize.

7. 49er Man says: Sep 18, 2010 5:01 PM

Leftwich is terrible and couldn’t run to save his life.

8. troll_aikman8 says: Sep 18, 2010 5:10 PM

Did he hurt his ankle during the cut?

9. runtheball says: Sep 18, 2010 5:11 PM

I hope that is all it is, because Dixon Sucks.

10. TXBuckeye says: Sep 18, 2010 5:16 PM

did someone really have to bring up Kordell Stewart’s sexual orientation?
    I don’t really see how this article isn’t helpful info. The first post seems to make a mockery out of it. I think I remember hearing about this process (the cut and re-sign). Thank you for reminding me of this seemingly not so common transaction in the NFL. Don’t let self-professed know-it-alls, aka nerds, keep you from posting potential reasoning behind events in the NFL.

11. Pervy says: Sep 18, 2010 5:23 PM

Leftwich has the worst mechanics of any QB in the entire league…possibly in the history of the league.
    His footwork is a complete joke.
    His windup is legendarily pathetic…maybe the slowest of all time.
    His accuracy stinks.
    He’s slower than a snail on a salt bed.
    His work ethic sucks , hence the reason he’s usually fat
    The Steelers find value in Leftwich because he’s the exact same type of QB that Big Ben is. He’s big and fat and holds the ball too long.

12. maxwellsmart says: Sep 18, 2010 5:25 PM

Bad things happen to people who bad mouth Jacksonville…….plus he sucked anyway….

13. Florios'Lawyer says: Sep 18, 2010 5:27 PM

Dear Mr. Rooney.
    The Mike Tomlin experiment has run its course.
    Please wake the f*ck up & sign Jon Gruden.

14. 90ragtop says: Sep 18, 2010 5:27 PM

I dunno. Risky ploy by the Steelers. There is a burgeoning market for bloated, washed-up quarterbacks right now.

15. kristoff says: Sep 18, 2010 5:28 PM

geebee: LOL

16. ChrisD says: Sep 18, 2010 5:36 PM

Perhaps they are just cutting Leftwhich because he was signed to start 4 games and he will not.
    The depth chart for Week 5 will read Ben, Dixon, Batch…

17. Rogue says: Sep 18, 2010 5:50 PM

Who wants him

18. robert ethen says: Sep 18, 2010 5:54 PM

Tossed him out like an old Leftover Sandwich.

19. AttackRaven says: Sep 18, 2010 5:57 PM

Maybe some Marshall players will come up and carry him to the dumpster.

20. ercin13 says: Sep 18, 2010 6:15 PM

steelers would be better off if the title of this article stayed true. way to go pft, you pulled me into this article. nice shenanigans.

21. Pale face says: Sep 18, 2010 6:22 PM

Where else on the web can you get stuff like “queerdell” and Nobel prize talk on the same screen? Wow

22. DanRooney says: Sep 18, 2010 6:39 PM

Pervy says:
    September 18, 2010 5:23 PM
    ———————————————–
    Go ahead and hide your tail between your legs and try again :)

23. superb owl says: Sep 18, 2010 6:40 PM

well rapeandbugger can still move quickly
    fat albert never could.

24. horntoad says: Sep 18, 2010 7:23 PM

He’ll be a Steeler next week ….Bank on it!!!

25. Pervy says: Sep 18, 2010 7:30 PM

DanRooney says:Minus having one of the best winning percentages, highest QB ratings, being top 5 YPA historically, highly accurate, clutch, and having 2 SB rings as a starting QB.
    Go ahead and hide your tail between your legs and try again :)
    ===================================
    Man…I never run and hide! LOL
    Yah…guess you are right.Two Stroke Ben is extremely fast the girls say…

26. badthing says: Sep 18, 2010 7:39 PM

DanRooney says: September 18, 2010 6:39 PM
    Pervy says:
    September 18, 2010 5:23 PM
    —————– ——————– ———-
    ____________________________________
    And minus the whole multiple accusations of rape too.

27. Suitcasehead Golic says: Sep 18, 2010 7:47 PM

who makes these inane rules up??–Oh yeah-a piece o crap lawyer..

28. Deb says: Sep 18, 2010 8:01 PM

@Perv ….
    Well, baby, you know Roethlisberger, that big, fat QB who holds the ball too long? He has one more Super Bowl ring than Favre … that guy who threw the ball to the other team in your championship game last year. And he has two more rings than that old goat Tarkenton who was whining into his crying towel about Favre on the radio last year. Think we’ll keep our big, fat, young QB . Good luck with the old man.
    Mike, thanks for the info. I’d forgotten about that move, so my reaction to the headline was “Poor Leftwich!” Thought he’d gone from hopes of playing next week to the unemployment line :)

29. badthing says: Sep 18, 2010 8:20 PM

Deb says: September 18, 2010 8:01 PM
    @Perv ….
    Well, baby, you know Roethlisberger, that big, fat QB who holds the ball too long? He has one more Super Bowl ring than Favre … that guy who threw the ball to the other team in your championship game last year. And he has two more rings than that old goat Tarkenton who was whining into his crying towel about Favre on the radio last year. ____________________________________
    And he has three more accusations of sexual assault than either of them!!!!!

30. Burghman says: Sep 18, 2010 8:31 PM

Leftwich will receive his Week Three salary whether or not he is resigned. His salary is guaranteed for the year as a vested veteren since he was on the roster at the start of Week 1.

31. Florios'Lawyer says: Sep 18, 2010 8:40 PM

badthing says: September 18, 2010 8:20 PM
    ˄ just another dickhead stalker with no life…

32. midwest says: Sep 18, 2010 8:51 PM

This team is buying time until Big Ben comes back.
    What a complete dumb@ss Ben is though. His stupidity has cost the Steelers BIG TIME.
    That aside, Roethlisburger can play. The dude is a stud. Really stupid, but a stud!

33. the immortal SCURDS says: Sep 18, 2010 8:55 PM

STEELERS FIRE THE ROONEYS, AND THEN REHIRE THEM RIGHT AWAY………

34. rmavrick27 says: Sep 18, 2010 8:57 PM

Good Stuff GB & AttackRaven.

35. Myroncope7 says: Sep 18, 2010 9:14 PM

Im a Steeler fan but I hate when DUMB steeler brethren and sisteren (is that a word) claim that Roethlisbger is better because he has more rings. He is not better than Favre or Tarkenton. Please stop making it seem like all Steeler fans are idiots. If Favre and Tarkenton were on the Steelers we would be a dynasty.

36. DanRooney says: Sep 18, 2010 9:45 PM

Tarkenton? Got to be kidding me. Roethlisberger will be in the hall with more credentials than Tarkenton when it’s all said and done.
    Favre was the same QB as Ben in his early years.
    I mean I can show stats to why Ben is an elite QB time and time again and nobody comes up with legit replies. Roethlisberger plays behind horrendous pass protection and still gets the job done. It’s not like he’s ever had a legit #1 receiver either…and please don’t mention past his prime Hines.

37. Deb says: Sep 18, 2010 10:42 PM

Unifan (aka Myroncope7) …
    You and I will never be blood brother and sister.
    I’m not dumb and you know it.
    I didn’t say anything about Roethlisberger being better than anyone. I simply pointed out that he has more rings than the QB’s of the smack-talking Vikes fan. And he does–or can’t you count?
    This is a football blog. When the Vikes fans wander in here and smack talk our QB, they can expect to have a little smack thrown back at them. That’s what normal football fans do when someone disrespects their team. You don’t understand that because you are consumed with hatred for your team’s quarterback.
    Favre and Tarkenton couldn’t manage to turn the Packers into a dynasty, so I can’t understand why you think they could turn the Steelers into one. Favre, maybe. But Tarkenton proved himself then to be a the guy who couldn’t win the Big One, and he’s proved himself now to be a bitter sack of sour grapes.

38. Chiefs2010 says: Sep 18, 2010 10:43 PM

@AttackRaven
    hahahaha

39. wyoff says: Sep 18, 2010 11:00 PM

Myroncope7 says:
    September 18, 2010 9:14 PM
    ______
    As a Steelers fan, I hate DUMB Steelers fans who undervalue Roethlisberger. Please stop making it seem like all Steeler fans are idiots.

40. Jack Burton says: Sep 18, 2010 11:41 PM

Might as well give Jarrett Brown a chance over Lefty at least he could run for his life behind that line.

41. TheToolofTools says: Sep 18, 2010 11:52 PM

attack raven… best post ever .hhahhahahaa
    we need a therapist

42. Blackn'Gold says: Sep 19, 2010 1:08 AM

Thank you Mr. Florio for giving a plausible strategy for the release. I don’t want Byron to leave the Steelers. He may not clear waivers? There are some teams that could use another good quarterback on their roster.
    GO STEELERS!

43. OLDCRACKER says: Sep 19, 2010 1:59 AM

WTF? Did they sign Jemarcus Russell?

44. .RT says: Sep 19, 2010 3:40 AM

Who’s surprised? Dixon is a good player and within the next 2 games – he will be great! 4-0 and #7 idiot back? Not. He needs to keep his big FAT butt at home on the couch that has been reinforced not to fall through the floor.

45. DonnyBoy says: Sep 19, 2010 5:39 AM

Favre and Tarkenton couldn’t manage to turn the Packers into a dynasty…
    ******************************
    It’s posts like this really show your self proclaimed intelligence.
    Now please reply by complaining about me picking on a girl (allegedly)

46. DonnyBoy says: Sep 19, 2010 5:40 AM

They cut wrong fat, dumb QB

47. Myroncope7 says: Sep 19, 2010 5:49 AM

I dont undervalue Roethlisberger you guys missed my point. I’m just saying that just because Max Starks has more rings than Orlando Pace that doesnt make him better. Thats my point.
    I understand smack talk but its ridiculous to call a 6 year player (Ben) better than all time greats like Tarkenton or Favre and if you didnt say they were better you sure implied it. Being a fan is one thing but I will never say Ike is better than Revis. Hines is better than Fitz or Ben is better than Peyton. So do. I dont. To each his own.
    I’m not sure what a unifan is. Does that mean I have a lot of teams? I digress.
    @ Dan Rooney. Love the name. Qbs make #1 receivers. Like Marino made duper and clayton, they left him and were never the same. Peyton Mannig makes Reggie Wayne as well. I would never mention Hines as I am really soured on his treatment of our qb. I really think Ben should smack him one. But in fairness Ben did play one season with Plaxico and as soon as he left, the very next year he was a stud with Eli.

48. edgarpoe says: Sep 19, 2010 6:24 AM

Pervy,
    I agree. I have been very critical of BR for hi off-field conduct, but on the field he is a quality QB.

49. edgarpoe says: Sep 19, 2010 6:25 AM

Actually my lat post was intended to Dan Rooney

50. roli1967 says: Sep 19, 2010 8:50 AM

————————————————–
    Agreed, not all Steeler fans are idiots, however there is no doubt in my mind that Worthlessburger is an IDIOT for thinking he can walk around a bar with his dick INTENTIONALLY hanging out and not face the consequences….regardless of his 2 superbowl rings.

51. wyoff says: Sep 19, 2010 10:31 AM

Agreed, not all Steeler fans are idiots, however there is no doubt in my mind that Worthlessburger is an IDIOT for thinking he can walk around a bar with his dick INTENTIONALLY hanging out and not face the consequences….rega rdless of his 2 superbowl rings.
    ________________________
    There’s no evidence that that happened.

52. DonnyBoy says: Sep 19, 2010 11:54 AM

Favre and Tarkenton couldn’t manage to turn the Packers into a dynasty…
    *********************************
    This is why chicks shouldn’t be allowed in locker rooms.
    It’s bad enough to have to listen to them prattle on about subjects they don’t understand from the sidelines.
    Maybe you should stick to cooking.

53. Deb says: Sep 19, 2010 1:02 PM

roli1967 …
    Hey … is that my old Browns friend rolli? If so, why do you keep changing the number of Ls in your name?
    Unifan …
    You know that lame denial is pointless. You also know I didn’t say Ben was better than anybody; I just pointed out to Perv–with whom I have a loooong and colorful relationship–who has more rings. He knows I’ll root for his Vikes if it doesn’t impact my Steelers, and he knows I have a soft spot for the old man he has under center. See … just like no one here knows why I’m calling you Unifan, no one knows about my backstory with Perv. PFT is full of little mini-dramas.
    Do you want to quietly enjoy posting about the Steelers or do you want to go back to making this all about obsessing over my posts? That generally proves unproductive for you.