DeAngelo Hall: "It's my team, my defense"

Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall wasn’t thrilled with his teammates after they coughed up a 34-yard touchdown to Andre Johnson on fourth-and-ten late in regulation.

“Shouldn’t have happened,” Hall said Sunday night, via John Keim of the Washington Examiner.  “We had the perfect play call. Just didn’t
make the play. Shouldn’t have happened. Should have never happened.”

Cornerback Phillip Buchanon and safety Reed Doughty had the coverage on the play.  Even though Hall said it was the perfect play call, he came up with a correction for it on Monday.

“DeAngelo Hall made it clear he’s following the other team’s top receiver from now on and that’s just the way it is,” Jason Reid of the Washington Post wrote on twitter Monday.

That’s not really Hall’s decision to make.  But he says it is.

“Its my team, my defense,” Hall said.

UPDATE: Hall’s words:, via Ryan O’Halloran of Comcast: “I’m going to wherever the f***ing ball is going. Wherever the receiver is going, that’s where the f*** I’m going.”

Permalink 69 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
69 Responses to “DeAngelo Hall: "It's my team, my defense"”
  1. Katmanduu says: Sep 20, 2010 12:02 PM

Of course it’s MeAngelo’s defense. They gave up nearly 600 yards yesterday.
    If the shoe fits, wear it.
    This guy SUCKS. No other way to put it. The Redskins will never win with guys like this on their team. Come to think of it, they won’t win anyways.

2. Chiefs2010 says: Sep 20, 2010 12:02 PM

He’s a liability in deep coverage – that was quite apparent yesterday..
    Laron Landry is also a liability in coverage, yet dances after every play.

3. My Coke Can says: Sep 20, 2010 12:02 PM

Nobody believed that the skins would even be in that game. Big improvement. I see big things to come, but might not be until next year.

4. BigD88 says: Sep 20, 2010 12:04 PM

Wait… what? Haha child please

5. FinFan68 says: Sep 20, 2010 12:04 PM

The egos of these guys are truly amazing.

6. crex43 says: Sep 20, 2010 12:05 PM

Sounds eerily familiar to T.O.’s “That’s my team… my quarterback” line that he choked through tears after a Dallas Cowboys loss a few years back.
    DeAngelo wasn’t crying, was he?

7. MVPnis says: Sep 20, 2010 12:05 PM

Oh God, Washington is doomed. DHALL cant cover anybody, Ask a one shoed Hinds Ward that burned him for 90 yards. Hall is the most overrated player in the NFL and his mouth and horrible play will only hurt the skins

8. BigMikeSkinsFan says: Sep 20, 2010 12:06 PM

glad to see him say something like this. we NEED a CB to step up and take over the #1 WR on the other teams!! Rogers has stone hands and tried to lose that INT and Doughty…well Doughty just sucks.

9. Weez says: Sep 20, 2010 12:08 PM

Jay Cutler and Eddie Royal are laughing their asses off right now and may not even be sure why.

10. j-wil says: Sep 20, 2010 12:09 PM

at least he’s fired up!

11. hardy_na says: Sep 20, 2010 12:09 PM

D Hall = D Bag

12. BleedingSilverAndBlack says: Sep 20, 2010 12:10 PM

Pipe down Hall. You do what the coaches say.

13. Chapnasty. says: Sep 20, 2010 12:11 PM

Wow. Just Wow. At least the media can stop this fantasy that Laron Landry is actually a good safety.

14. Quentin673 says: Sep 20, 2010 12:12 PM

Yes, Im sure it is everyone else on the teams fault that Schaub passed for almost 500 yards. God this guy gets one gift of a TD and all of a sudden he is flapping his gums again. I love those guys who think there the best player on the team when in actuality they are horrible. Theres a reason the Raiders cut him after a few games into a monster contract.

15. faulkn22 says: Sep 20, 2010 12:14 PM

He sounds butthurt, lol. I was loving it though since Andre is my #1 WR in ff.

16. Schatt Maub says: Sep 20, 2010 12:16 PM

Problem is, dude, Andre Johnson is the best wide reciever in football. You can’t outjump him, you can’t outrun him, and you sure as hell can’t take the ball from him once he’s got his hands on it.
    Don’t worry, DeAngelo. It happens to everyone.

17. Jon says: Sep 20, 2010 12:17 PM

I love how these dbacks are becoming the equivalent of WRs. Next week, he will be complaining of a sore hamstring.

18. CHIEF ZEE says: Sep 20, 2010 12:19 PM

Reed Doughty sucks…once Kareem Moore comes back next week, this defense will hopefully improve on the back end.

19. wd40 says: Sep 20, 2010 12:20 PM

Dam Straight. Best on Best. Mano a mano. Not sure if it would have mattered.
    Johnson is a beast. TO on anabolics.
    Give the Texans credit. When it mattered most they made the plays. Well coached team and although most would think they are better than the Redskins, they were able to steal this game from the jaws of defeat. Redskins need to learn to win. When you have an opponent down 27-10 at home in the second half…PLEASE!

20. 12thskin says: Sep 20, 2010 12:22 PM

BigD88 _ Really? A cowboy fan wants to comment on the skin’s D. Wow you and bollsroll need a time out.

21. Bubby Brister says: Sep 20, 2010 12:23 PM

He’s right. If Hall had been covering Andre Johnson that the entire drive, that 4th down play would have never happened.
    He would have given it up on 1st down instead.
    Dude is the joke.

22. isonic1 says: Sep 20, 2010 12:23 PM

I dont like Hall when he speaks but I like his play. I’m sorry to the Raiders and Falcons when he sucked for you guys. He’s been great for the Redskins… so far that is.

23. DSC says: Sep 20, 2010 12:26 PM

Ditto RIP!

24. PED'S ARE GOOD FOR SPORTS says: Sep 20, 2010 12:28 PM

Not only are Eddie Royal and Cutler laughing, Im CERTAIN Desean Jackson, Miles Austin and Steve Smith are too. Im an Eagles fan and I know he dam sure cant cover ANY top receiver in the East. Probably anywhere. So go ahead Deangelo, put your money where your mouth is. In a few weeks youll be bankrupt.

25. drmandopolis says: Sep 20, 2010 12:30 PM

I found it mind boggling that the Redskins had Reed Doughty covering Andre Johnson 40 yards down field. Doughty is a SS being asked to play FS for the injured Kareem Moore…but seriously, there is no way a guy like Doughty should be asked to cover the best receiver in the league under ANY circumstance. Who made that call?

26. DanSnyderSux says: Sep 20, 2010 12:32 PM

How about he shut up and play?

27. skins828791 says: Sep 20, 2010 12:36 PM

give the man a break…. that was a tough loss yesterday especially for the defense and he is right neither reed doughty or philip buchannon needed to be anywhere near andre johnson. say what you want about DHALL but he makes plays… laron landry also for that matter…. with landry playing his natural positon he is all over the place making play after play and not getting burnt and finding himself out of position this year… obviously these coment are coming from people that havent watched the games…. maybe just highlights from sportcenter apparently. and hey the skins defense had a bad game like above mentioned against probably the best reciever in the game at this point right now. that was really the biggest play they gave up one game one play if the skins won we wouldnt even be having this conversation no matter how many yards they gave up.

28. jamaltimore says: Sep 20, 2010 12:38 PM

That explains why the defense sucks if he’s in charge. From his days at VT, Angelo, no d cause he doesn’t play any Hall, has never been a leader on a team just a problem.

29. Hap says: Sep 20, 2010 12:39 PM

It’s Hall’s defense? They are DEAD LAST in the league.

30. Hap says: Sep 20, 2010 12:49 PM

Dude. I’m not sure you want the moniker of Defensive Leader of this team =32nd !

31. Orakpwnd says: Sep 20, 2010 12:56 PM

Chapnasty. says:
    September 20, 2010 12:11 PM
    ————————————————
    Kind of like the fantasy that cowboy fans were living before the crushing grip of reality set in?

32. MagicMan407 says: Sep 20, 2010 12:58 PM

Do you idiots even watch the games or just post like idiots? Hall never was beat at all. Gave up less than 40 yards all game. He played the run extremely well. You look at the safety spot Reed Doughty was playing and see how many yards were caught on him and Buchanon all game. Hall is playing at a high level. Matt Schaub isnt exactly a slouch either is their running back. The Redskins could have won that game easy and gave it away, refs assisted a few times in making sure Washington got screwed too.

33. bwisnasky says: Sep 20, 2010 1:00 PM

To anyone playing the Skins, I would take this as positive news… Go back a couple of years and look at the first 8 Raider games.. that’s what you get when you have D Hall being the main guy getting thrown at ;)

34. marcduke says: Sep 20, 2010 1:07 PM

Does this guy remind anyone else of “Big Play” Ray Buchanan? You know, without the negligible bit of talent?

35. smiley says: Sep 20, 2010 1:13 PM

He’s still upset over the loss…….that makes two of us….Hail!!

36. Polo3 says: Sep 20, 2010 1:17 PM

I love it!!! A guy with passion that wants a challenge.. Way to step up D Hall, haters are going to hate but I love it man!!!!

37. skins828791 says: Sep 20, 2010 1:22 PM

you talking about when he played for the raiders 2 years ago?? really?? wow …. who could really play for the raiders and want to play for the raiders…. who cares what happend when he played for the raiders only matters what he is doing now.

38. 5to47TDTDTD says: Sep 20, 2010 1:23 PM

he gets more picks then samuels and newman do hahahahahaha cowboys are winless and the giants get stomped and the eagles barely beat the lions they would have lost if corn on kolb woulda been playing hahahahhahahaha

39. Poopstain_Chuck says: Sep 20, 2010 1:25 PM

There are so many damn Deangelo haters on here it’s funny. Most of you guys must be bitter Oakland fans. By the way, how is Campbell working out for you?

40. bleedsgreen says: Sep 20, 2010 1:25 PM

seems mr. hall’s words were twisted a bit by mr. reid.

41. dlmcc0909 says: Sep 20, 2010 1:25 PM

This guy is not anywhere near the list of the better Cornerbacks in the league. Every now and then he makes a nice play, kind of like Antonio Cromartie. But he has never been able to cover the better receivers in the league.
    I would not get too excited about the Redskins. The season just started. This is a 6-10 team at best.
    Im sure Shanahan already wishes he would have sat at home another year and wait for a better organization to call

42. Chapnasty. says: Sep 20, 2010 1:33 PM

Yes Oarkpwnd, the very same fantasy. Believe me it hurts.
    @ skins
    Anyone who has watched either of the first 2 games would believe Landry has done something because he gets up and dances after jumping onto a pile. He is terrible and anyone who isn’t a Redskin fan would understand that. Not to mention Fouts was all over Landry’s jock yesterday when the guy DOES NOTHING!

43. PriorKnowledge says: Sep 20, 2010 1:33 PM

Good for Hall! About time you stopped listening to Scheme Haslett. The all pro corner should take on the all pro wideout every play regardless of the defense call.
    They did that with great success with Darell Green. Don’t know if Hall is near as good as Green, but the idea holds: You put your best against their best. If your best is not good enuf, then you give your best a little help.
    What is Haslett thinking?

44. aligreene says: Sep 20, 2010 1:37 PM

it has occured to me not to many people on here watch football or know anything about the game,redskins played a great game but once again its the small things the field goal that was blocked penalties bad officiating people just shout out bs quite funny though

45. MVPnis says: Sep 20, 2010 1:39 PM

DeAngatoast

46. Los_Raiders says: Sep 20, 2010 1:43 PM

Correction to Redskins fans… He sucked for the Falcons, he sucked for the Raiders, and now he sucks for the Redskins…
    I hope he does cover every opposing team’s number one receiver… Guy gets burned way too often, even by number two receivers…

47. Raiderbrax says: Sep 20, 2010 1:46 PM

First, let me say this. I am a 30 year old male who smokes. With that being said Meangelo Hall would be the only NFL player I would punch squarely in his mouth if I saw him in person. Why you ask…because I could out run him.

48. Ocho says: Sep 20, 2010 1:49 PM

I agree w/ @MagicMan407…1) most of you guys didnt see anything other than the highlights or your fantasy results. 2) The texans ran for put up 30+ points on defenses that held their other opponents in check…their offense knows what they are doing. The skins will be fine and I am glad Hall wants the challenge. And for anyone saying Hall is the most overrated corner in the league needs to take a look at Antonio Cromartie.

49. dabbflappy says: Sep 20, 2010 1:51 PM

It’s MeAngelo’s defense?
    No wonder they coughed-up a late lead.
    The guy’s poison.

50. Raiderbrax says: Sep 20, 2010 1:59 PM

Wait this is Deangelo’s D? Sweet note to self, play any player on my Fantasy league that plays against Washingtons D. Thanks Meangelo you just won me 1200 dollars!

51. Raiderbrax says: Sep 20, 2010 1:59 PM

52. OldDominionRedskins says: Sep 20, 2010 2:00 PM

I don’t know why everyone is getting so worked up about this loss. The Redskins still have a long way to go before becoming a good team. An 8-8 season would be a success relative to last year, and with the way the terrible NFC East has turned out these two weeks, that just might be good enough for a division title. A lot of players responsible for the Saints’ comeback last year are still here, so why is it any surprise that we did it again to another great team?

53. BigMikeSkinsFan says: Sep 20, 2010 2:02 PM

Chapnasty. says:
    September 20, 2010 1:33 PM
    Yes Oarkpwnd, the very same fantasy. Believe me it hurts.
    @ skins
    __________________________________
    17 tackles against the Bums is nothing. Youre an idiot and you should stop posting before you hurt yourself.
    Fouts was all over the Texans nuts; I dont know what game you were watching. At what point did you deicde to just post the opposite of everything that actually happened?

54. Chiefs2010 says: Sep 20, 2010 2:07 PM

@PriorKnowledge
    They couldn’t cover anybody, the Texans exploited holes in their zone coverage, and they have a much better line than the Cowboys.
    Walter had a big game as well.
    Hall and the secondary for the Skins’ is a joke, it was exploited last year, and it will be exploited this year.
    /Washington needs to lose their racist team name.

55. Morad says: Sep 20, 2010 2:07 PM

As a redskins fan I wasn’t too happy when we gave hall that extension. He use to be scared to make tackles on backs and balls carriers, but after watching him this season! He is worth every penny and all the risk the redskins took on him. He has been playing great! even in the run game!
    Go hall, you should of been covering Him from the begining!

56. TryTheVeal says: Sep 20, 2010 2:15 PM

@aligreene
    —————————————–
    What actually is quite funny is the fact the skins blew a 17 point lead, gave up 497 passing yards, and nearly 600 yards in total offensive, and you say they played a great game?

57. Raiderbrax says: Sep 20, 2010 2:19 PM

58. Chop Block Murphy says: Sep 20, 2010 2:23 PM

Excellent! The next Redskins post I read had better be discussing how a punk-ass 26-year-old mouth of a CB got bitch slapped up and down the locker room by a 54-year-old ex LB.

59. Chapnasty. says: Sep 20, 2010 2:24 PM

@ BigMike
    There is no way in hell he had 17 tackles. Maybe if you added up all of the half tackles he was there. I have watched both games beginning to end and he is terrible. But you know what, if he didnt act like an idiot celebrating after his half tackles and running his damn mouth I would likely forgive his lack of coverage ability.

60. dsp1899 says: Sep 20, 2010 2:25 PM

Definitely credit to Reed Doughty on Rush Defense, but he cannot cover worth crap on Pass Defense.

61. WetHog says: Sep 20, 2010 2:42 PM

No CrackBoys fan has any right to make a comment about the Skins or their players, especially after letting Jay Cutler and his swiss cheese O-line beat them in their home opener. Well done.
    As for Meangelo, who cares? As a Skins fan I don’t. Actually that isn’t true. I do care about the fact yet another Skins player has demonstrated he cannot speak proper english. Its very disturbing. I thought ebonics was a dead language…

62. httr1969 says: Sep 20, 2010 2:44 PM

I am quite happy with what I saw on the field yesterday. McNabb STUDDED OUT….and all I can say is WOW! Portis got in the zone twice. Our defense (without The Biggest Loser) was all over Schaub and our offensesive line kept McNabb safe and sound. We looked like a much better club than the last several years, and I really dont have much to fuss about. Good job guys!! I know it is a loss, but hey, Houston played well too. I dont think it is fair to call out either defense…both offenses were just on fire yesterday. Two heavyweight giants just pummelling one another. Great game! Bring on St. Louis!!
    P.S. I will call it….11-5 on the year and we win the division. Look around…..the gints, iggles and girls all look very very suspect.
    HAIL SUCKAS!

63. turgid says: Sep 20, 2010 3:11 PM

Chapnasty. says:
    September 20, 2010 2:24 PM
    @ BigMike
    ————————————————–
    Chapnasty= moron
    Watch the games in an unbiased manner and THEN give an opinion. You and boysroll must be basement mates.

64. jb1996 says: Sep 20, 2010 3:25 PM

his d huh? did he forget about the vetern pro-bowl linebacker captain tackle leader year in year out LONDON FLETCHER-BAKER even tho i hate the skins still love baker the true leader of the D

65. Coach says: Sep 20, 2010 4:37 PM

Hall is a douche and barely a marginal player at best. Rex Ryan was correct when he approached Hall and yelled “”You aren’t gonna tackle anybody!” That’s why my brother got rid of your ass!”

66. rickvaldez says: Sep 20, 2010 5:31 PM

common sense people…i know some of you lack that. While he may not be a great cover corner but he is the best they have right now. I would rather have him cover than see Doughty bach there.

67. crise40g says: Sep 20, 2010 5:40 PM

What an a-hole. Way to disrespect your coach and your teammates.

68. Fan of Football says: Sep 20, 2010 5:56 PM

Actually, on this occasion, DLo played an excellent game. Folks, this IS football. Let the guy show some enthusiasm. Let him mouth-off. If he fails, he just makes an ass of himself. If he fires-up his team, maybe they win a few. Nothing to fret over for the fan. In fact, the NFL would get pretty boring without the DLo’s of the world jacking their jaws!

69. delgriffth says: Sep 21, 2010 3:28 PM

Shanny better start cleaning house. If this was Andy Reid he wouldve cut him yesterday. so far they have a dt who refuses to get in shape, practice and play the position he’s told to play. now they have a cb who openly defies the dc and says he’ll do wtf he pleases. An eagle player tweets something the coach didnt like and he’s tongue lashed “privately” for the media and entire team to hear.