Report: Broncos receiver Kenny McKinley found dead

Josina Anderson of FOX 31 in Denver reports that Broncos receiver Kenny McKinley has been found dead, apparently due to a suicide.

The 23-year-old McKinley, a fifth-round pick in 2009 from South Carolina, appeared in eight games last season before landing on injured reserve.  He was again placed on injured reserve to start the 2010 season.

At South Carolina, McKinley caught 207 passes, and he generated more than 2,700 receiving yards.

Our thoughts and condolences go out to McKinley’s family, teammates, and friends, and to the entire Broncos organization.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
38 Responses to “Report: Broncos receiver Kenny McKinley found dead”
  1. Igottz5onit says: Sep 20, 2010 9:08 PM

Wow he was a beast vs Clemson, our condolences…

2. DieHardSkinsFan21 says: Sep 20, 2010 9:08 PM

That is terribly sad.

3. The Hogster says: Sep 20, 2010 9:10 PM

That’s awful. Tragedy strikes every year, seemingly in the same cities.

4. hsf09 says: Sep 20, 2010 9:17 PM

Unfortunate. May McKinley R.I.P. T&P with his family during this time of loss. Having to deal with deaths not new to the Broncos organization(Darrent Williams and Damien Nash most recently)

5. NationalFelonLeague.com © says: Sep 20, 2010 9:17 PM

Big bummer. Hard to imagine what could drive someone to that point.

6. Chad Pennington's Noodle Arm says: Sep 20, 2010 9:17 PM

Why?

7. clintcooper says: Sep 20, 2010 9:19 PM

So sad. I feel so bad for his family.

8. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Sep 20, 2010 9:20 PM

Condolences. I have a son close to that age. So sad that this young man is gone.

9. CutlerIsACryBaby says: Sep 20, 2010 9:20 PM

R.I.P!!!

10. PackerBacker1980 says: Sep 20, 2010 9:20 PM

my thoughts and prayers go for his family and loved ones

11. Burritto says: Sep 20, 2010 9:29 PM

This is incredibly horrible. My thoughts are with his friends and family.
    Seeing this right above the Charles-Grant-To-The-UFL story shows a contrast in feelings that leads me to suspect mental illness. McKinley had a future in the NFL and Grant is resigned to the UFL. If McKinley felt so bad about his life to end it, something had to make him feel worse than a 32 year-old playing in the bush league.
    Whatever drove Kenny McKinley to this fate… well, I hope we discover the causes and use this information to help those with similar situations in the future.
    Sad. Sad. Sad.

12. Blackn'Gold says: Sep 20, 2010 9:30 PM

What a tragedy! He had his whole life in front of him.

13. Max Weiner says: Sep 20, 2010 9:36 PM

I wouldn’t worry about him PackLand; never let anyone who can’t spell “asked” correctly get to you. RIP Kenny, you will be missed dearly.

14. 49er Man says: Sep 20, 2010 9:38 PM

You just wonder what was going on in his life to lead up to this. Very sad.

15. Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says: Sep 20, 2010 9:39 PM

Rest easy bro.

16. rolandthegunslinger says: Sep 20, 2010 9:40 PM

My condolences to his family and friends.

17. rodell7 says: Sep 20, 2010 9:44 PM

What can you say???

18. boysroll says: Sep 20, 2010 9:53 PM

sad to see a kid that young with so much to live for take this unfortunate step. RIP and my prayers to his family.

19. KyleOrtonsArm says: Sep 20, 2010 9:59 PM

R.I.P

20. i liek sports says: Sep 20, 2010 9:59 PM

Maybe the NFL should have more resources available for people with depression/suicidal thoughts

21. queenie says: Sep 20, 2010 10:00 PM

OMG…this is so sad…he must have been in so much pain….I hope he’s at peace now and his family knows it was no one’s fault…it’s a tragedy that happens way too often.

22. TheToolofTools says: Sep 20, 2010 10:04 PM

No matter what you do in this life…
    try not to take your own.
    Prayers & Love to the family.
    God Bless Them All.

23. Roger the Dodger says: Sep 20, 2010 10:20 PM

I went to high school with Kenny’s dad. My heart goes out to the McKinley family. This is a heartbreaking loss to them, and to the NFL community. My condolences to all.

24. 12+81=7 says: Sep 20, 2010 10:28 PM

How sad! First the father dying with his son at Gillette and now this… RIP and condolences to the family and friends

25. footballisfun says: Sep 20, 2010 10:28 PM

Tragedy.

26. JungleClone says: Sep 20, 2010 10:54 PM

One has to wonder why a 23 yr old coming off a stellar college career who had a “sky’s the limit” potential in the NFL would do such a thing???….RIP and prayers/condolences to the family and organization

27. WelcomeToTheJungle says: Sep 20, 2010 11:00 PM

God bless Kenny, his family and the organization.

28. SmurfJuice says: Sep 20, 2010 11:01 PM

Eight games in two years due to injury, and then his team using a 1st rounder on his position perhaps could have made him think his dream was closing.
    Another sad day for the football community.

29. Swedish Mafia says: Sep 20, 2010 11:09 PM

stop with the sad stories…I don’t want to cry when I come to pft!

30. Ed Neinabor says: Sep 20, 2010 11:37 PM

So very, very SAD. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family. They will never get over this. Does anyone know why this happened?

31. Pale face says: Sep 21, 2010 12:16 AM

I lost my best friend in high school to suicide. he was my best friend and I never knew he was depressed. we may never know the whats or whys in this situation.

32. csulb49er says: Sep 21, 2010 12:29 AM

Incredibly tragic.
    There has been a definitive link between concussions and depression…I wonder if he has had a history of head injuries in his football career.

33. Jack Acid says: Sep 21, 2010 2:08 AM

Wow, that is awful. Hate the Broncos, but I feel for them in a big way.

34. shortbus says: Sep 21, 2010 2:48 AM

How sad. R.I.P

35. Burritto says: Sep 21, 2010 9:07 AM

“Spoat says:
    Suicide is such a very selfish act. Certainly when you are so young. There is no consideration for those you are hurting; friends, fans, loved ones and especially family, knowing that you are gone forever.
    How gd selfish is that!”
    So you’re 100% sure that McKinley had “no consideration” for anyone else when he did this? You don’t think it’s possible to consider your loved ones and still feel incredibly depressed?
    I agree that suicide is selfish, but it’s stupid to act as though you know what McKinley was thinking and it’s stupid to act like it’s impossible for him to worry about his family but still feel suicidal. Spoat, you lack compassion.

36. puppi says: Sep 21, 2010 10:49 AM

Our best condolences for the family and friends
    Att:
    Raul

37. Hugh Jorgan says: Sep 21, 2010 11:10 AM

Condolences and prayers to Kenny’s family, friends and teammates. I hope he has found the peace he was unable to find in this world.

38. ejay21 says: Sep 22, 2010 7:30 PM

It hurts me to know that Kenny was in that much mental pain.
    A sudden and severe Depression is by far the greatest pain a human can suffer and live to tell about it. Unfortunately, many are driven to take their own lives by an illness for which suicide ideation is a primary and serious symptom. You can not know such a psychic physical pain without having gone through it yourself. There are no words to describe the severity of it.
    Selfishness had nothing to do with it. He had nothing to gain from this but to end the unimaginable suffering that overcame him. I hope that sports organizations provide greater preventive outreach to their players to make them all aware of what to do and where to go when symptoms of depression hit them. Even Kenny could not tackle this by himself. It took his smile away, forever. He will be missed.