Broken fibula suspected for Reggie Bush

Saints running back Reggie Bush, who suffered a leg injury late in Monday night’s win over the 49ers, may have suffered a broken bone in his right leg.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the initial diagnosis is a fractured fibula.  A league source tells us that the team is “pretty sure” that the injury is a fractured fibula.

The injury occurred in a pileup that happened after Bush muffed a punt return in the fourth quarter.

After the game, Bush said (per ESPN), “I hurt like hell.  I got back up and tried to walk on it.  It felt terrible.”

Per ESPN, Bush could miss six weeks as the bone heals.  That would mean he’d miss games against the Falcons, Panthers, Cardinals, Bucs, and Browns.  He’d also miss the take-that-World-Series showdown with the Steelers on October 31.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Broken fibula suspected for Reggie Bush”
  1. badmude911 says: Sep 21, 2010 7:12 AM

Karma?

2. tatum32 says: Sep 21, 2010 7:16 AM

can you say I.R.?

3. rsxfan says: Sep 21, 2010 7:43 AM

I broke my fibula about 5 weeks ago. Loudest pop sound I have ever heard involving an injury. I’m still weeks away from being able to return to my normal duties at work.
    While I realize I’m no where near the top athlete Reggie Bush is nor receive the top medical treatment he will, it would not surprise me if he is out longer than 6 weeks.

4. Colts18 says: Sep 21, 2010 8:02 AM

Jesus, all my fantasy guys are getting injured. I still have to hoard them all becuase I dont want anyone else to grab them. Sidney rice, michael bush, reggie bush, matthew stafford. jesus.

5. jersey73 says: Sep 21, 2010 8:03 AM

Well, I guess he can still try to make that Heisman pose with one foot up in the air.

6. Turbo Dean says: Sep 21, 2010 8:18 AM

Guy is having a rough week.

7. Franchise says: Sep 21, 2010 8:27 AM

Couldnt have happened to a better guy.
    Sincerely,
    A USC fan

8. ThePlainTruth says: Sep 21, 2010 8:36 AM

The Saints will miss Reggie Bush. He is the reason for the high scoring Saints offense.

9. SF Saints Fan says: Sep 21, 2010 8:51 AM

Strange, but I hope it is a broken fibula. It is something he can come back from and will have no long term negative consequences. For now it looks like the number 1 seed is the most important thing and every win is important. I sure don’t want to see the team having to play in Green Bay for the NFC Championship. Much better to play the game at home.
    On a side note, it sure is nice seeing the Cowboys and Vikings both at 0-2…….
    I still think San Francisco is going to win the West.

10. Dr. Michael says: Sep 21, 2010 9:20 AM

John “Karma” Heisman

11. Drat says: Sep 21, 2010 9:37 AM

The real issue here is the ligament. If the broken fibula is low on the leg, then that’s where the feared “high ankle sprain” occurs. Bone heals quickly, 6 wks. Ligament? No. 8-12 months or so. Often the lower fibula breaks because the ligament connecting it to the tibia rips apart. so we have to wait and see.
    Which reminds me of a Howie Long gaff: a couple years ago he referred on TV to the “tibula and fibula” as the two bones of the lower leg. Sorry, Howie. You are in Dunce School.

12. RC IV says: Sep 21, 2010 9:38 AM

Couldn’t happen to a better fan base. Unless it was the packers.
    I bet all you pukes making fun of the Vikes injuries feel kinda dumb right now…….wait, nevermind. I should have said more dumb.

13. Drat says: Sep 21, 2010 9:40 AM

Dear “SF Saints Fan,”
    The 9ers just played their BEST game of the year. If there is any team in the NFL who could go as low as 1-15, it is the 9ers. The head coach is a Kook and the team has no talent.

14. Go Saints says: Sep 21, 2010 9:51 AM

# Franchise says: September 21, 2010 8:27 AM
    Couldnt have happened to a better guy.
    Sincerely,
    A USC fan
    ——————————–
    Screw you and USC.
    Again, tell holier than thou USC to give back the bowl money too.

15. Lott42 says: Sep 21, 2010 10:01 AM

Let’s admit it – the guys is one of the most exciting players in a NFL uniform – get well dude.

16. Gelardia says: Sep 21, 2010 10:08 AM

Why is their star running back returning kicks?

17. BCfromHell says: Sep 21, 2010 10:08 AM

TO: Colts18
    That’s quite a list of IR players on your roster.., however.., I think you can drop Jesus for another player

18. grendel says: Sep 21, 2010 10:17 AM

LOL Listen to the ‘Aints already planning out their path through the post season. Let’s see how you take care of business in the regular season first, shall we? So far you’ve beaten two winless teams. Congrats? Time to break out the champagne?

19. scra22 says: Sep 21, 2010 10:37 AM

RC IV says:
    September 21, 2010 9:38 AM
    Couldn’t happen to a better fan base. Unless it was the packers.
    =============
    What? Being 2-0?

20. scra22 says: Sep 21, 2010 10:40 AM

grendel says:
    September 21, 2010 10:17 AM
    =======
    Wow, we beat two winless teams after TWO GAMES! And one of their losses came from the Saints! Man, we just can’t beat a winner.

21. hey804 says: Sep 21, 2010 10:45 AM

Hey Grendel, 50% of the reason the saints have played two winless teams is because those two teams played the saints.

22. The Big Easy says: Sep 21, 2010 10:51 AM

grendel says:
    September 21, 2010 10:17 AM
    Really idiot? Saints have beat two winless teams? Probably had something to do with them being winless huh? Looks like they are taking care of business a lot better than the Vikings and Cowboys doesn’t it? Hope you are not a fan of one of these two because you are in for a long year! By the way-we do know a little about breaking out that champagne though!

23. RC IV says: Sep 21, 2010 10:55 AM

scra22 says:
    September 21, 2010 10:37 AM
    RC IV says:
    September 21, 2010 9:38 AM
    Couldn’t happen to a better fan base. Unless it was the packers.
    =============
    What? Being 2-0?
    ===================
    You know what I’m talking about jagoff.
    You siants fans are the Red Sox of football.
    It was a nice story and it’s great that you won and all, everyone was pulling for you.
    But once you won you “fans” (that were never seen on here til last year) are just as bad as the Bosox fans. obnoxious and very tough to listen too. I know wish the Colts would have won. At least their fans have some dignity and class.

24. scra22 says: Sep 21, 2010 11:18 AM

RC IV says:
    “You know what I’m talking about jagoff.”
    “I know wish the Colts would have won. At least their fans have some dignity and class.”
    =====
    Yes, obviously you know tons about having class.

25. NOLArules says: Sep 21, 2010 11:20 AM

Vikings fans talking about dignity and class…now that is funny.
    0-2, with a qb who has looked like he wishes he had stayed retired this time, could not happen to a more deserving fan base.
    throw on top that the packers, bears and saints are all 2-0. depressing times for viqueens fans. and they deserve every bit of it after the bed wetting they did all off season

26. mwcarolina says: Sep 21, 2010 11:51 AM

(“The Saints will miss Reggie Bush. He is the reason for the high scoring Saints offense”)
    i am not a Saints fan, BUT Reggie Bush is NOT the reason for the high scoring Saints offense, the reason is a guy who wears the number 9 on his jersey and of course the coach.
    (“Why is their star running back returning kicks?”)
    Reggie Bush is NOT a star running back. A star running back has 1000 rushing yard seasons and carries the ball at least 15 times, Bush doesnt carry the ball 15 times, he touches it maybe 15 times. Bush makes more plays as a reciever or return man, so he’s not a star running back, Pierre Thomas is and he can rush for 1000 yards.

27. robert ethen says: Sep 21, 2010 11:51 AM

Reggie won’t be able to fib very well with a broken fibula.

28. The Big Easy says: Sep 21, 2010 12:15 PM

Well you can wish in one hand and s*#* in the other and see which one fills up first! Get used to it. You know what else is annoying? All the people who get on here and talk trash about the Saints and “Karma” and wishing injuries on people just because their teams suck!

29. RC IV says: Sep 21, 2010 1:31 PM

The Big Easy says:
    September 21, 2010 12:15 PM
    ======================
    There were all kinds of saints “fans” making fun of Harvin and Vikings injuries.
    You holier than thou act is getting old.
    Where were you “fans” before last year, seriously?
    You all came out of the woodwork about week 15 last year.
    Barely beating the vikes and niners and beating your chests about it…..lol
    Good luck red sox fans, there will be no repeat.

30. scra22 says: Sep 21, 2010 2:42 PM

RC IV says: September 21, 2010 1:31 PM
    Where were you “fans” before last year, seriously?
    You all came out of the woodwork about week 15 last year.
    ======
    Week 15 was the Saints’ first loss of the season. Weird time for all the bandwagon fans to come out.
    The Saints have had season sell-outs for five straight years. Not sure what the 2009 season has to do with that.

31. RC IV says: Sep 21, 2010 3:16 PM

I said ABOUT moron. Funny you don’t dispute that it was late in the year…..
    Geaux Sox!!

32. scra22 says: Sep 21, 2010 4:09 PM

RC IV says:
    September 21, 2010 3:16 PM
    “I said ABOUT moron.”
    I was being sarcastic.
    —————
    “Funny you don’t dispute that it was late in the year…..”
    Did you miss my point about the Saints’ seasons being sold out for 5 years straight? I’m not denying the team gained some bandwagon fans last year, as any team going 13-0 and winning the Super Bowl would do, but your insinuation that Saints fans as a whole appeared out of nowhere last year is incorrect.

33. scra22 says: Sep 21, 2010 4:27 PM

So in answer to your question “Where were you “fans” before last year, seriously?” —- We were selling out our teams’ games, even when they went 7-9 and 8-8, while your team needed an extension to sell out its home playoff game in January 2009.

34. PurplePeopleBeaters says: Sep 21, 2010 4:59 PM

Have the Vikings ever repeated?
    Well…I guess you would have to “peat” first huh?

35. The Big Easy says: Sep 21, 2010 6:36 PM

RC IV:Check the Vikes thread turd breath……..it’s the only reason I’m here saying what I’m saying.
    You holier than thou act is getting old.
    Where were you “fans” before last year, seriously?
    You all came out of the woodwork about week 15 last year.
    Barely beating the vikes and niners and beating your chests about it…..lol
    Good luck red sox fans, there will be no repeat.
    So what team are you backing-the Vikings? Must be since you are on their threads. All I know is we beat them last year, this year, and I would say will beat them again but you would have to make the playoffs for that to happen and it won’t!
    By the way-speaking of history and bandwagons and all that-when was last time Vikings won Super Bowl-ohhh right-NEVER!

36. RC IV says: Sep 22, 2010 8:48 AM

scra22 says:
    September 21, 2010 4:09 PM
    RC IV says:
    September 21, 2010 3:16 PM
    “I said ABOUT moron.”
    I was being sarcastic.
    —————
    “Funny you don’t dispute that it was late in the year…..”
    ===========================
    Just as your insinuation that ALL Vikes cried about refs and Katrina.
    If you care to look back, I congratulated you on a fair and square win(you = fan base.)
    I’ve been here for 3 years and been a viking fan for 36 years.
    Check above posts for the Red Sox fans i speak of,
    Scra, I’ll leave ya alone on it, but the wide brush stuff works both ways.