Braylon Edwards described as "flippant" after DWI

If Jets receiver Braylon Edwards was ever going to be humbled, today was the day.

Looks like it’s not going to happen.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News described Edwards’ attitude in the locker room Wednesday in one word: “Flippant.”

Edwards refused to answer some questions, and answered others in a manner that made you wonder what planet he was on. Edwards says he didn’t feel like he acted selfishly.

“I don’t understand the black eye that this would put on the organization,” Edwards said.

Edwards also explained that he normally takes a car service, but the dog ate his homework.  (Okay, he really said he only was driving because he stayed at the Jets facility late after doing extra work.)

The Jets have chosen not to deactivate Edwards on Sunday night, citing the CBA.  But Edwards confirmed Florio’s hunch that the wide receiver would not have fought a deactivation through the union.

Maybe it’s not too late for Woody Johnson to change his mind.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
52 Responses to “Braylon Edwards described as "flippant" after DWI”
  1. MH767 says: Sep 22, 2010 5:06 PM

God this story is getting old. Find some real news to talk about. Never seen a DWI/DUI get so much attention.

2. TheBetterFaulk(33) says: Sep 22, 2010 5:10 PM

Florio.
    Vincent Jackson’s agent just said that AJ Smith is the ‘Lord of No Rings’ for a reason.
    Tanard Jackson just got suspended for at least the rest of the year.
    And yet you post your 80th article on Braylon Edwards. You guys have been slow today!

3. megatron81 says: Sep 22, 2010 5:12 PM

I hope he gets decapitated Sunday night.

4. slackjawedyokel says: Sep 22, 2010 5:14 PM

You post this stuff like we need a reminder that braylon is a self-important douchebag.
    We don’t.

5. Ironside says: Sep 22, 2010 5:18 PM

The Jets have no discipline and no class. But then whoever said they did? Had Edwards killed somebody by driving drunk, Rex Ryan probably would have gone and personally bailed him out. What a pathetic organization.

6. william sizemore says: Sep 22, 2010 5:20 PM

There is no cure for stupid. Bill

7. BlueGrassBengal says: Sep 22, 2010 5:25 PM

I think you guys all sound “flippant” in every story on here and are really judgmental and smart-alecs about everything you report…I agree this was an ignorant move by a millionaire that can afford a car, but Braylon does not receive this much attention and I am happy to see the over-cocky arrogant Jets falling apart…..

8. Nate is Gay for Brady says: Sep 22, 2010 5:29 PM

MORE BRINT FARVE! MORE BRINT FARVE!
    WTF? Where are the 5 posts today?

9. ArtModellsPimp says: Sep 22, 2010 5:34 PM

“Flippant?” Just part of that “essence.”
    I’m just waiting for this jackhole to shoot himself in the leg. Hopefully, a little higher and to the left.

10. Slim Charles says: Sep 22, 2010 5:36 PM

Why would they deactivate him if he’s not even officially suspended yet? That would be like shooting themselves in the foot. Unless they want to make some kind of meaningless PR statement that Florio will call shallow anyway.

11. lamajet says: Sep 22, 2010 5:37 PM

Ever since the Jets picked up Santonio Holmes, I’ve figured the organization has placed bets on whether Holmes or Edwards will be the bigger dumbass in a race to get cut. Since they’re both league suspensions waiting to happen, together they almost make one talented receiver on the roster.
    This incident and his apparent attitude probably places Edwards in a tie with the already suspended Holmes. The next infraction by either is a ticket to some hellhole like Oakland.

12. AdropOFvenom says: Sep 22, 2010 5:39 PM

“I don’t understand the black eye that this would put on the organization,” Edwards said in front of his locker this afternoon after practice. “Because this isn’t a representation of what this organization is about. This isn’t what Rex Ryan, Mike Tannenbaum and Woody teach. It’s isn’t. This is a situation that I’m in – that I put myself in. So I don’t see how this could be a black eye for them. More so be a black eye for myself if anything.”
    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/09/braylon-edwards-i-dont-underst.html#ixzz10ISYIUB4
    There’s the full quote. As you can see…..totally taken out of context. He’s trying to say he doesn’t see it as a black eye for the organization because that’s not what they teach or stand for. It’s a black eye for Edwards because he put himself in that situation.

13. NYJALLFINGDAY says: Sep 22, 2010 5:41 PM

If he doesn’t think he did wrong, and that there is an excuse for his actions, he does not deserve a spot on the roster.
    If he atones for his misdeeds, on the field and off, I will forgive him, because nobody’s perfect. Right now. however, it seems he’s not interested in brownie points.

14. biglebronski10 says: Sep 22, 2010 5:42 PM

Next, he’ll blame the scent of alcohol coming from the vehicle as his “New York Essence,” and claim he was only pulled over because he’s from Michigan.

15. Steelvegas says: Sep 22, 2010 5:42 PM

Braylon Edwrads is a waste! And he’s a horrible football player!

16. JMoney says: Sep 22, 2010 5:43 PM

“Flippant” Sounds like something that comes in a can that Edwards will need to spray on Defenders this weekend to get them off his azzzz

17. jets are stacked says: Sep 22, 2010 5:46 PM

i’m so f’n sick of you dbags sitting on your high horse. we’re talking about a f’n DWI. it’s not like he committed a serious crime or anything.
    moreover, last i checked ronnie brown and will allen both got DUI’s this past offseason and neither were punished. why no stink about that?

18. melikefootball says: Sep 22, 2010 5:51 PM

Everyone wants the same story to go away. Ain’t goin happen as long as the owners suck up to this type and the fans still feel they do no wrong. Real people have lost there lives for far less than .16. Edwards sees no wrong with all his back ground baggage. J E T S fans I love to watch but even you all should see this as it really is.

19. HarrisonHits says: Sep 22, 2010 5:56 PM

Edwards was also heard to say –
    “I don’t understand how you people just don’t get that I’m far more important and special than you are. You scum need to wise up fast if you want your betters like me to even acknowledge your existence much less answer your useless questions.”

20. paulnoga says: Sep 22, 2010 6:07 PM

Hopefully Ohio, which is still aching from Edwards before and Labron since, will revoke his probation and send him back to ohio to do a little time now.

21. kdrtoona says: Sep 22, 2010 6:17 PM

Rumour also has it he was described as “drunk.”

22. mgmac says: Sep 22, 2010 6:18 PM

edwards is a jerk. he drove drunk, twice the legal limit. he could have killed someone, fortunately he didn’t. and now he doesn’t get it. he’s a punk, no more, no less. i hope the district attorney goes after his butt and prosecutes him to the full extent of the law.

23. ftomeo says: Sep 22, 2010 6:19 PM

TheBetterFaulk: I read both of those stories here today. It’s you who has been slow today!

24. PFTiswhatitis says: Sep 22, 2010 6:21 PM

Once a turd always a turd.

25. Hayward G says: Sep 22, 2010 6:22 PM

Hard to think of too many other “professional” franchises that handle themselves with less class than this one.

26. grouchomarx1 says: Sep 22, 2010 6:23 PM

Gee, is there any football news out there?

27. FloriosHairHat says: Sep 22, 2010 6:27 PM

# MH767 says: September 22, 2010 5:06 PM
    “..Never seen a DWI/DUI get so much attention.”
    Seriously?
    Look at all the airtime that was devoted to a non-rape.

28. buzzbissinger says: Sep 22, 2010 6:32 PM

Maybe he was flippant because he was tired of being asked retorical questions by douchebag reporters, such as yourself, Rosie.

29. dfl777 says: Sep 22, 2010 6:33 PM

Driving with a 2.0 bal is the same crime as what Donte Stalworth did. In fact Braylon was more over the limit than Donte. The only difference between the two is that very luckily no one got killed. Fact is Braylon needs to be just as punished as Donte by the league and then maybe this idiots will get the message. Wasn’t Braylon a teammate of Donte the night Donte left the Club Liv in Miami Beach drunk off his ass. Wasn’t Braylon even with Donte that weekend or even that night at the club. What has Braylon learned? Apparently nothing. What we have learned is that Braylon has a drinking problem. But hey its all good as long as he can catch or rather not drop TD passes Sunday Night. The Jets, and the NFL are a joke for letting him play in Miami of all places the scene of the crime. Guess the message is come to the game get drunk, and who cares what happens, cause we sure as hell don’t.

30. shawnc16 says: Sep 22, 2010 6:45 PM

MH767 says:
    September 22, 2010 5:06 PM
    ——————————–
    just curious, why read or post comments on a story that you don’t care about?

31. Barius Maximus says: Sep 22, 2010 6:46 PM

Let me get this straight, Edwards was working late at the Jets HQ and that is why he was drunk and didn’t use the team driving service or call a cab? Really? Do they have lot’s of alcoholic drinks at the Jets HQ? That is one lame excuse if that is what he is going with.

32. NoHomeTeam says: Sep 22, 2010 6:48 PM

“The Jets have chosen not to deactivate Edwards on Sunday night, citing the CBA. ”
    Evidently: 2 Catches in the Endzone > DUI

33. FireJerryJones says: Sep 22, 2010 6:58 PM

Same guy who was out drinking with Donte Stallworth last year on the night Stallworth drove home and killed a man.

34. OLDCRACKER says: Sep 22, 2010 7:00 PM

“he only was driving because he stayed at the Jets facility late after doing extra work.”
    Yah, BE was putting in “extra” work. That’s why he’s a wide-awake drunk at 5:15 AM! There’s more than alcohol involved there. Besides, if he’s still partying at that time, what kind of shape would he be in during the scheduled practice? Maybe, just maybe, if he were serious about being in shape for team meetings and practice, he wouldn’t need to be at the Jets facility late.
    This guy just doesn’t get it. By 40, he’ll be another homeless drunk on the streets of Detroit.

35. DirtDawg55 says: Sep 22, 2010 7:01 PM

His beard made him do it.
    What’s up with that thing?

36. Steelers Defense says: Sep 22, 2010 7:08 PM

Once again, another rich no good SCUMBAG has a sense of entitlement. If this SCUMBAG is allowed to play, Roger Goodell has no credibility

37. Backinthesaddle says: Sep 22, 2010 7:24 PM

“flippant”…..just a turd being a turd.

38. Tinbender says: Sep 22, 2010 7:43 PM

————————————————–
    You’ll figure that out when they dump you after the season. Then when you get out of jail in Cleveland for violating your parole and no team wants your sorry ass, that will be your second clue.

39. texasPHINSfan says: Sep 22, 2010 7:47 PM

muahahahaaa

40. JSpicoli says: Sep 22, 2010 8:21 PM

No one you see, is smarter than he.
    Sorry, I thought you said “Flipper”

41. Ironside says: Sep 22, 2010 8:34 PM

I wonder why my earlier comment didn’t get posted. Oh well…..

42. Bell63 says: Sep 22, 2010 8:36 PM

AdropOFvenom says: September 22, 2010 5:39 PM
    —————————————
    Isn’t it crazy how often this happens on this site and others? Without the context, total a-hole comment. With the context, pretty mild thing to say.

43. ArtModellsPimp says: Sep 22, 2010 8:53 PM

Since it’s Bray-Bray…
    I’m assuming that he just went overboard on the wine spritzers and champagne cocktails at a male model after-party, somewhere in the Village…
    A beard does not make you a man, Bray-Bray…

44. tacious says: Sep 22, 2010 9:00 PM

@ ADropOfVenom
    Great job catching D-bag Florio being disingenuous! I always find it amazing that he has any credibility with anyone, as he and PFT clearly pull this crap all the time.

45. gabagabahey says: Sep 22, 2010 9:10 PM

Stone Hands is simply the worst excuse for a receiver in history. The real surprise is that he is still referred to by some as talented…..

46. Terrell Blowens says: Sep 22, 2010 9:53 PM

I’d like to hear more Eagles QB sensationalization and more about Vincent Jackson please. Oh and keep the Edwards DWI stories coming. You don’t have enough of those here.

47. wtf_seriously says: Sep 22, 2010 10:23 PM

C’mon, Gregg—
    Slanted, half-assed journalism at it’s best…the REAL quote: http://www.nydail ynews.com/blogs/jets /2010/09/braylon-edw ards-i-dont-underst. html#ixzz10ISYIUB4
    So glad to see everyone posting here is playing into the “Jets are all d-bags and Braylon deserves to be decapitated on Sunday” stance, though. Mob mentatilty. Thank goodness you all have never known anyone charged with a DWI, and never yourselves driven after having too much to drink, so you truly can be “holier than thou”.
    Kudos to Braylon for stating it’s HIS problem, his screw up, NOT a result of anything the Jets organization did or didn’t do.

48. Hater hater says: Sep 23, 2010 12:00 AM

Wtf seriously is right on the money. All you haters have never driven when you shouldn’t have or had a friend/family member get arrested for DUI/DWI???????
    If the answer is no than I hope you love the weather in Utah where you obviously have spent your whole life with your father and 5 mothers.
    I am a late 40’s white male with an extremely high IQ and have a good job and family life. That being said, I have driven while legally intoxicated numerous times as have almost every one in my family and social circle. In my first Corvette I did 145 on a 65 mph road. My Zx-11 got me to 155 on the same road. While out at night clubs I have had to defend myself with my fists against men with anger or insecurity issues.
    Imagine if I was a relatively famous and wealthy black professional athlete. The target on his back is huge.
    Dont be a hypocrite and look at the facts as they apply in the real world.

49. overkil2 says: Sep 23, 2010 11:21 AM

@Hater hater
    You are an idiot then for driving while intoxicated. You are lucky you didn’t kill some poor family.
    I’ve never driven while intoxicated. EVER.. I have better sense than that.
    Yep, my uncle got a DUI and we left his ass in Jail for a day or two. Scared the crap out of him and that was the last time that he drove after having drinks.

50. rarson says: Sep 23, 2010 12:11 PM

@dfl777
    “Driving with a 2.0 bal is the same crime as what Donte Stalworth did.”
    If a person had a 2.0 BAC, they’d be dead.

51. CincyAllDaWay says: Sep 23, 2010 1:46 PM

This is exactly why this POS needs to be punished….
    He’s a flippin retard! Not worth the powder it would take to blow his terrorist looking head off! He, Rex, and the JESTS are made for each other!

52. wtf_seriously says: Sep 24, 2010 11:28 AM

CincyAllDaWay, you are a window-licking idiot. If you are going to critique Edwards for what he said, at least get the quote correct, and COMPLETE.
    “…This is a situation that I’m in – that I put myself in. So I don’t see how this could be a black eye for them. More so be a black eye for myself if anything.”
    Bad grammar aside (sheesh), Edwards said HE is responsible for the situation. HE is at fault.
    Use your head for more than an object to put dents in sheetrock, will ya?
    Everyone else with the holier than thou complexes, get over yourselves. I will pass the hat, and we can take up the collection for your to buy lives.
    Worry about your own backyards, not the other guys.
    ============================
    overkil2 says:
    @Hater hater
    I’ve never driven while intoxicated. EVER.. I have better sense than that.
    ———————————-
    Must be nice to have public transportation readily available, oh Holy One. You and Tony Dungy should get together and have coffee sometime.
    Trust me, Father Overkill, you are in the minority.