1. Tom Brady and the Patriots offense looks as explosive as ever. But coach Bill Belichick has to be very concerned with his young defense. The previously inert Bills offense rolled up 374 yards on New England
This felt like an Arena League game. The Patriots forced one extra turnover, so they won by eight 38-30. The switch to Ryan Fitzpatrick provided immediate results for Buffalo.
2. Give the Cowboys defense a lot of credit for a convincing performance
in their 27-13 win against Houston. I liked Dallas to win this week
because they have a veteran group that responded very well late last
season when they absolutely had to win.
They absolutely had to
win in Houston Sunday, and pulled it off. The NFC East is wide open and
Dallas has time to recover because Wade Phillips’ defense remains a
3. The criticism of Scott Pioli in Kansas City can stop now. Pioli’s ’10 draft class looks like a home run. Javier Arenas, Dexter McCluster, and Tony Moeki were all huge difference makers during Sunday’s win over San Francisco.
This is a smart team with a true home field advantage again. They have one of the best defensive backfields in the league. Their special teams and running game are outstanding. That should be enough to stick in the AFC West race all year. The schedule is very forgiving.
4. 49ers coach Mike Singletary faces a coaching crisis. He preaches toughness,
but his 49ers team has crumbled twice on the road this year when things
didn’t go well for them early. Their offensive gameplan was not able to
adjust to what the Chiefs defense were doing Sunday. They have no
answers. Alex Smith continues to throw five-yard passes on
During the rare times Smith took a deep drop,
the 49ers offensive line couldn’t protect him. It wouldn’t be a shocker
if offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye was replaced during the season if
this doesn’t turn around quickly.
5. The Panthers look like the worst team in the NFL. They’ve lost by
double-digits in all three games. Jimmy Clausen had completed one pass
at halftime to the Panthers, and one pass picked off the Bengals. He
fumbled three times in the game.
Carolina proves how impossible it is to win without a passing game. The rest of the team isn’t that bad.
6. The AFC North is going to be the best division race of the year. The Ravens and Bengals won on Sunday to keep up with the 3-0 Steelers. It sets up a huge game for the Ravens in Pittsburgh next week. It would be awfully tough for Baltimore to recover if they fell two games behind while Ben Roethlisberger was suspended.