Bears-Packers tight at halftime after late Cutler score

For much of Monday night’s first half, the Jay Cutler and Mike Martz marriage was experiencing the growing pains that many folks expected to see in the season’s first two weeks.

Cutler threw an early interception, held the ball too long at times, and was thoroughly harassed by a Packers defense that recorded three quick sacks.  The Packers moved the ball well through the air, but only led 10-0 when the Bears stopped them on a drive at the two minute warning.

One Devin Hester return and a few gorgeous Cutler throws later and the Bears cut the lead to 10-7 at halftime after a Greg Olsen nine-yard touchdown catch.

Aaron Rodgers has thrown for 172 yards on 23 attempts, although the Packers aren’t even trying to run the ball.  (They have eight yards on the ground.)

The Bears defense has yet to make a big play, but Chicago has limited the damage after a great Packers opening drive. Chicago has to be thrilled to be down only three at the break after that half.

And we’re thrilled this Rogers-Cutler duel may yet live up the hype.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
45 Responses to “Bears-Packers tight at halftime after late Cutler score”
  1. 40 says: Sep 27, 2010 10:13 PM

can anyone explain why jamarcus webb is playing right tackle for the bears? adjustment for shaeffers shaettyness?

2. steamrod says: Sep 27, 2010 10:27 PM

3. cusoman says: Sep 27, 2010 10:33 PM

steamrod says: September 27, 2010 10:27 PM
    ———–
    10 points is “walking over” a defense? When did that happen?

4. truthhurts says: Sep 27, 2010 10:39 PM

5. Calistin says: Sep 27, 2010 10:42 PM

The refs sure are keeping this intresting.

6. 40 says: Sep 27, 2010 10:45 PM

i miss the monday night chats… sometimes bigger isnt better florio

7. Franchise says: Sep 27, 2010 10:47 PM

Nice to see that “much improved” Packer O line holding off Peppers.
    Off-a-Clifton and Toucher look terrible.

8. Contra says: Sep 27, 2010 10:49 PM

Hahahaha Tauscher will have more yards in Penalties than the Packers will have in rushing!!!!

9. Contra says: Sep 27, 2010 10:55 PM

Hahahaha Hester took it for 6

10. Deb says: Sep 27, 2010 10:58 PM

Okay … with apologies to my Packer friends … but that Devin Hester TD was a beautiful thing to watch. Props to the punter for making a great try at the tackle–loved the leap. Just beautiful. I have chills.

11. Favrelous says: Sep 27, 2010 10:58 PM

Packers are not very good. But they sure looked great in preseason.

12. ICEWALKER says: Sep 27, 2010 10:58 PM

I blame McCarthy for this loss. Yeah it’s only 14-10 but he keeps the Packers offense under wraps.
    Oh, and how many damn penalties do you allow before you start kicking ass?

13. CsanBoySmith says: Sep 27, 2010 10:59 PM

this game is over, Pack is rattled. They looked like they dominated this game. Oh, well. Gotta hand it to the Bears

14. toughlovefan says: Sep 27, 2010 10:59 PM

well its a good thing we kicked it BACK TO HESTER

15. Route36West says: Sep 27, 2010 10:59 PM

Urlacher king of the arm tackle this game

16. Calistin says: Sep 27, 2010 11:07 PM

The refs sure are keeping this intresting.

17. steamrod says: Sep 27, 2010 11:13 PM

cusoman says:
    September 27, 2010 10:33 PM
    steamrod says: September 27, 2010 10:27 PM
    ———–
    10 points is “walking over” a defense? When did that happen?
    ————————————————

18. 40 says: Sep 27, 2010 11:16 PM

and now shaffers in… essssplain

19. Franchise says: Sep 27, 2010 11:20 PM

20. Howie Handles says: Sep 27, 2010 11:22 PM

That call against Melton was weak.
    “One play by cutler compared to an entire half of Rodgers walking over the bears d is “living up to the hype?””
    10 pts is walking over? Wow, with that type of exaggeration, you should get a job calling this game.
    “Almost 400 yards and two dozen first downs, nearly all passing, is good defensive play?”
    Still only 17 pts. Isn’t that (pts) still the name of the game?

21. Howie Handles says: Sep 27, 2010 11:24 PM

Exaggeration, and can’t count. ESPN shows 303, which by my count (and I suck at math), isn’t that close to 400.
    “If the Bears wernt dumb and kicked the FG instead of going for it on 4th and 1, they would be up.”
    With all the success they’ve had on fourth and short this year?

22. green man says: Sep 27, 2010 11:35 PM

franchie:
    then they wouldn’t have gotten the punt return for a TD.

23. Ty Redofbuck says: Sep 27, 2010 11:36 PM

I had no idea that Bears had such a close relation to Zebras.

24. green man says: Sep 27, 2010 11:37 PM

What a well coached team, 18 penalties for 2500 tards

25. Deb says: Sep 27, 2010 11:45 PM

ROFL … unbelievable that people still don’t know they sound like whining infants when they attribute their losses to the “zebras.” Good grief, take it like a man.

26. green man says: Sep 27, 2010 11:46 PM

ty, tell me one penalty that wasn’t a penalty? The refs have to call them, in fact they ignored about 10 holds on Peppers.

27. Hauschild says: Sep 27, 2010 11:51 PM

Calling Jimmy Smith, Bob Nelson and the rest of the Rubber Knife Gang….
    The Paper Champions have stuck again!

28. Franchise says: Sep 27, 2010 11:58 PM

Advice to the Packer Oline: Stop jumping before the snap like a bunch of scared girls.
    Advice to the Packers defensive backfield: Stop interfering with WRs.
    Sorry Pack fans, you cant blame the refs. Your team’s play was as sloppy as Jenna Jameson after a 15 man gangbang.

29. schooney says: Sep 28, 2010 12:00 AM

Can we get some coaching for the Pack undisciplined, un prepared poor play calling the Special teams again sucked running game is at Green Bay East High School or some Pee Wee league

30. frank booth says: Sep 28, 2010 12:09 AM

Ty Redofbuck says:
    September 27, 2010 11:36 PM
    I had no idea that Bears had such a close relation to Zebras.
    ===================================
    And no one realized that you had such a close relation to blindness.

31. schooney says: Sep 28, 2010 12:18 AM

give the game back to the players to decide not the part time so called officials mybe after the year of no football they will all retire

32. VikingsWorldOrder says: Sep 28, 2010 12:36 AM

BEAR DOWN! Eat it Packer trolls!

33. Beer Cheese Soup says: Sep 28, 2010 12:57 AM

Deb says:
    ____________
    It’s okay. You may have Packer fan friends in real life, but we all share the disdain for you and your feminist homerisms on this site. You can’t offend us any more than you already have.
    Besides that, you’re absolutely right. Hell of a play that was.
    Favrelous says:
    Packers are not very good. But they sure looked great in preseason.
    ____________
    Ouch.. What does that say about your Vikings, if the Packers aren’t very good?

34. DSC says: Sep 28, 2010 1:21 AM

Yes the refs messed a few calls up but this isn’t why the packers lost. There SEVERAL penalties is why they lost! the inexperience of their young defense is why they lost…would have been nice for the coaches to kick some tail when the penalties started….or take clifton out….

35. NoHomeTeam says: Sep 28, 2010 1:57 AM

# truthhurts says: “So you have officials in the booth whose only job is to review the last two minutes of the half and game. A total of 4 minutes a week, yet in the Green Bay/Bears game they blow it. The Bears guy in down a full yard before the end zone but it is not reviewed. This is incompetence personified. Four minutes a week and you can’t handle it. I’m not a Green Bay fan, but come on man!!!!!!!!!!! How do people this incompetent keep their jobs????????”
    The truth here, Hurts, is that the receiver was not touched by a defender between the time he hit the ground and the time he broke the plane of the goal line.
    No Touch, No Down.
    It’s a rare circumstance, to be sure — we’ll probably not see something like it again for years (if ever), but it was a Touchdown. The Zebras aren’t perfect, but give them credit where credit is due — they got this one right.

36. nowathand says: Sep 28, 2010 2:35 AM

That was a great first half, fun third quarter until the absurd 4th down try. Will Lovie Smith get the same grief as Bill Belichick? Lovie’s gone for it on 4th twice, instead of taking the lead or tying for it.
    The game was a contest to see which coach could out-stupid the other one. I wonder if Martz is influencing Lovie on his 4th down calls. You don’t trust a pyromaniac with matches or a lighter and you don’t trust Lovie Smith with timeouts or challenges.

37. Profundity says: Sep 28, 2010 7:09 AM

Ty Redofbuck says: September 27, 2010 11:36 PM
    I had no idea that Bears had such a close relation to Zebras.
    ______________________________________
    You should have seen the 2007 MNF Packers/Bears game.
    This game, while fairly poorly officiated, was nothing compared to that fiasco of a lopsided flag-fest.

38. Deb says: Sep 28, 2010 10:13 AM

@Beer Cheese …
    I have Packer friends in life and on the site. They don’t consider every woman who loves the game and loves her team to be a “feminist homer.”
    But then, they’re not desperate conspiracy theorists consumed with hatred for other winning teams who spend all their time trolling other teams’ sites ranting about bribing officials and other nonsense because they forgot to take their meds.
    If your wife cut you off this week, take it up with her. Your sexual dysfunctions aren’t my problem, so stop taking them out on me in every thread. The men in my life aren’t complaining … and they’re in much better moods than you are.

39. Beer Cheese Soup says: Sep 28, 2010 1:24 PM

Deb says:
    ______________
    Neither do I. There are thousands of good female football fans.
    The only ones I call feminist homers are the ones that are, you know, feminists… and homers.
    Really, you are one of about three I’ve ever heard of. Female supremacists are a dying breed in this age of equality. I’m sure you’ll still claim to be helpless and persecuted though. I’d expect nothing less.
    ___
    Ty Redofbuck says:
    I had no idea that Bears had such a close relation to Zebras.
    ___
    Profundity says:
    You should have seen the 2007 MNF Packers/Bears game.
    _____________
    You guys need to knock off the sniveling. You sound like Viking fans. That’s utterly disgraceful.
    Did you not watch the game? Those were legit penalties, I don’t care who you are. I know it’s hard for you to accept that the talent your idol Ted put on the field is not the best (and that’s putting it mildly), but to say the officiating was anything but proper is absolutely ridiculous.
    Want to blame someone for this “flag-fest”? Look no further than the Packers’ coaching and front office. They brought it on themselves.

40. Deb says: Sep 28, 2010 4:00 PM

Beer Cheese, I’ve never said or implied that I’m a female supremacist. Nor am I helpless and persecuted. I love being a woman. I love the company of men. I love the sport of football. And I react when people are disrespectful to me, as you’ve been today for no reason that makes any sense to me–except that your supposedly Super Bowl-bound team lost last night and my supposedly 0-4 team (the one you irrationally hate) is thus far undefeated.
    As I said, whatever has brought out this sudden, unprovoked mysogynistic hatred of all things Deb is your problem. Work it out on your own. I have my own concerns .. and it looks like they could soon include a tornado.

41. Beer Cheese Soup says: Sep 28, 2010 4:30 PM

Deb says:
    ….Nor am I helpless and persecuted. I love being a woman.
    ….whatever has brought out this sudden, unprovoked mysogynistic hatred …
    ____________
    I rest my case.
    And I don’t hate your team. We’ve been over that. Congrats on being 3-0. It’d be nice if we were too, but we just happened to play like absolute dog crap in front of a national audience last night. Oh well.

42. frank booth says: Sep 28, 2010 5:22 PM

I’ve always dreamed of being the lone male slave on an island of female supremacists.

43. Deb says: Sep 28, 2010 6:19 PM

frank, baby, you can come live on my island anytime.
    It would probably be nicer than the trailer.
    We could bowl with coconuts like Gilligan.
    And watch football on a dish.
    No Pack fans allowed. Those boys are loony toons. The more I see of them … the more I root for the Bears and Vikes :)
    Congrats on the win ;)

44. frank booth says: Sep 29, 2010 12:18 AM

We could have a bamboo trailer, with a hastily made exercise bike to generate power as well.
    I’ve been to Lambeau more than a few times, and to the Dome as well. I like the Packer fans more than the Viking fans- I’ve had nothing but good times up there, even while wearing my Bears gear.

45. Deb says: Sep 29, 2010 4:12 PM

Bamboo trailer … that sounds good. I know a lot of good Packer people, but some of their PFT fans are just wackadoodle. The Vikes have some nuts on here as well, but I’ve met several good Vike fans. The Pack and Vikes fans on PFT are kind of incestuous–only have eyes for each other. But when they spot a woman, some of them are like Terminators–they must destroy! LOL