Hester finds his groove again

With more than two full seasons since returning a punt for a touchdown, Devin Hester of the Bears exploded for 62 yards on the second play of the fourth quarter, catapulting Chicago to a 14-10 lead over the Packers.

The touchdown erased a 10-0 hole into which the Bears had fallen, and it came after tight end Desmond Clark dropped what would have been a one-yard touchdown pass on fourth and goal.

Hester hadn’t returned a punt for a touchdown since the last game of the 2007 season.  An earlier punt return from Hester helped set up the first touchdown of the night.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
15 Responses to “Hester finds his groove again”
  1. green man says: Sep 27, 2010 11:23 PM

I knew he was back when they showed him dancing before the first big return…just go out and have fun Devin.

2. Calistin says: Sep 27, 2010 11:40 PM

Awesome call on that last PI call, total BS!

3. chimi says: Sep 27, 2010 11:49 PM

How can u not root 4 this guy? He was doin the soldier the boy b4 his return, BEAST.

4. brusta2002 says: Sep 27, 2010 11:50 PM

Love how it came right after the announcers chirped him for not scoring since ’07.. never fails.

5. BigBear123 says: Sep 28, 2010 12:00 AM

Too bad the rematch is Jan 2nd. Bears will probably be resting starters for the playoffs.
    Think the Pack would have the edge at Lambeau where their o-lineman wouldn’t have 10 false starts.
    Dysfunctional Giants up next, hopefully they stay dysfunctional and don’t remove their heads from their bum.

6. intrepidbullitt says: Sep 28, 2010 12:09 AM

^^

7. Other Bears says: Sep 28, 2010 12:15 AM

May the floodgates open back up baby. I’m so happy I could almost year a gay Vikings jersey (a.k.a. a Vikings jersey). Key word “almost” I need to find some cake to soak up this buzz (beer and Bears). Whooo hoooo!!!

8. Osterhouse says: Sep 28, 2010 12:39 AM

First Vick returns and now Hester…blast from the past when the two were regarded as two of the best and most exciting playmakers in the league

9. Dewey Axewoond says: Sep 28, 2010 1:15 AM

I don’t care what goddamm headline you use, I don’t care how you try to discredit the Bears’ win–all summer long, all I heard was how the Biqueefs and Pack would *naturally* compete for the North, and the Lions would *finally* leapfrog the Bears for 3rd place in the division.
    Guess again, pickle ticklers.
    I don’t care how you characterize their wins, how much you try and diminish them–the opinions of you mediots doesn’t mean squat to reality, not in politics, not in culture, and especially not when it comes to NFL wins and losses.
    That’s the only stat that matters, bitches: 3-0
    Am I’m saying the Bears are going to the Super Bowl?
    No (I’m not a presumtpuous chest-thumping horn-sucking Queens fan, am I?)
    I’m saying you all were wrong about the Bears, no matter how much you try to justify it or excuse it or explain it away NOW.
    You said Martz + Cutler was toxic, Forte was a one year wonder, Olsen would be un-used and disgruntled, Peppers was overpaid and inconsistent, the WRs sucked, blah blah blah.
    Well, Bears may not be pretty, but they have heart, character, and yes, talent–and you all can go on doubting them, because as I’ve said from the very beginning–they always have their BEST seasons when the worst is expected from them.
    Bear down, baby, Bear down.

10. nowathand says: Sep 28, 2010 2:50 AM

His TD was ridiculous. Mike McCarthy embarrassed himself national TV. How else do you explain kicking to Hester twice, the bad challenge, then not allowing Chicago to score with :47 left?

11. The Black Cat says: Sep 28, 2010 3:33 AM

It was a 10 yard punt return. Really?

12. Little Tommy says: Sep 28, 2010 6:11 AM

The punt return he scored on was probably the poorest punt I’ve seen in quite some time but 7 is 7 and we’ll certainly take it! Packers as NFC champs??? Not so sure, NFC chumps maybe but not NFC Champs…not if you use last night as a yardstick. GO BEARS.

13. birdmancometh says: Sep 28, 2010 8:54 AM

Should be a fun year in the NFC North. Especially with overly emotional fans like Dewey Axewound. Chill dude. You are saying you don’t care what they think, but clearly you do.

14. sacdaddy says: Sep 28, 2010 9:52 AM

I don’t think i’ve ever seen someone run as fast as he did on that return, outside of olympic sprinting. Guy is a total weapon that demands the respect of other teams.

15. packrulzm says: Sep 28, 2010 1:33 PM

Dewey Axewoond says:
    September 28, 2010 1:15 AM
    Great post. The Bears won last night on the strength of a team victory. I’m not going to make excuses for my team. They were sloppy and undisciplined. Special Teams are once again terrible (How in the hell do you kick to Hester?) and the penalties last night negated any chance to win. I thought Cutler was pretty good, but Rodgers was lights out, again.