Clinton Portis: "I did fall on purpose"

Week Three brought a new host of questions for Washington’s running game.

1.  Is Ryan Torain going to split carries with Clinton Portis?  Portis only had one second half carry last week, while Torain took most of the snaps.  Portis remains listed as the team’s starter on the depth chart.

2. Why did Portis slide at the end of a first-half run like a quarterback rather than try to gain extra yards?  Here’s the play.  And here’s Portis’ answer on Tuesday:

“I did fall on purpose,” Portis told 106.7 the Fan’s The Mike Wise Show, via Cindy Borden the Washington Post.  “All week long we were coached to sacrifice
yardage for the ball. . . . I wasn’t going to risk somebody grabbing my
arm, snatching my arm.”

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said Portis is bothered by a hand injury, which is why he took the fall.  Considering how tough Portis has been this year (and others) as a blocker, questioning his toughness doesn’t make sense.  Still, Portis doesn’t know why he didn’t play much in the second half.

“There’s a lot about life you don’t understand. Welcome to my world,” Portis said.  He’s not sure what his role will be this Sunday against the Eagles.

“I have no idea, bro. I don’t even think it really matters,” Portis said.  [Note: We have not independently confirmed through sources that Portis is Wise's bro.]  “When it
comes to competition, I feel I’ll outplay anybody. I feel with what I’ve
done the last nine years you can tell the difference whether I’m in or
out.”

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
37 Responses to “Clinton Portis: "I did fall on purpose"”
  1. RedskinOne says: Sep 28, 2010 1:13 PM

How is Mike Wise still on the radio?

2. DallasRavens says: Sep 28, 2010 1:18 PM

———————————————-
    If you’re going to criticize someone’s word usage or grammar, at least use proper grammar yourself Rosenthal.
    What Portis didn’t say is that he felt his “pad” shift mid-run which caused him to fall on purpose.

3. BigMikeSkinsFan says: Sep 28, 2010 1:21 PM

whats the story here? he had an injury, he slid and made sure not to lose the ball.
    RBs step out of bounds all the time, QBs slide all the time so whats the story here?
    If Shan is cool with it so am I.

4. sacdaddy says: Sep 28, 2010 1:22 PM

Here comes another Redskin meltdown in…3….2….1….

5. Mangy66 says: Sep 28, 2010 1:22 PM

Our running game is a big ole cluster.
    Mark Ingram or DeMarco Murray look destined for the Skins next year.
    But, if it were Florio ranking the RBs available next draft, Noel Devine would top the list.

6. Chapnasty. says: Sep 28, 2010 1:22 PM

PU$$Y! Hold the ball with both arms as you get hit and get an exrta 3-5 yards you washed up piece of crap sorry excuse for a football player!

7. Mrsteve says: Sep 28, 2010 1:23 PM

That statement pretty much sums up his whole career. When things look tough he quits.
    He wishes he could fall on one of his teammates cocks.

8. JetGreeeen says: Sep 28, 2010 1:25 PM

9. ghostrider says: Sep 28, 2010 1:28 PM

This sounds familiar… “For who? For what?” — Ricky Watters

10. BadKarma32 says: Sep 28, 2010 1:44 PM

I see a VICKtory for the Eagles in the IMMEDIATE future!!!

11. Tandem says: Sep 28, 2010 1:50 PM

and the could also easily be 2-1. yes yes. HUGE failure after 3 games.

12. clintcooper says: Sep 28, 2010 2:00 PM

The Redskins should just tank the entire rest of the season so they can get Mark Ingram next season.

13. Black QB White RB says: Sep 28, 2010 2:04 PM

It’s ok, Portis….Jim Brown you’re not, but it’s ok…
    Anyway, for those readers without a clue, what you’re watching is the demise of the Portis era in DC and the beginning of the Torain/whoever else they get era….Even Sellers has touched the ball a lot.(Warning to Shanahan-STOP IT).
    but what the Skins need more than a new back, is more fresh young gigantic kids on the offensive line-been saying it for years

14. longestlegs says: Sep 28, 2010 2:06 PM

BigMikeSkinsFan says:
    September 28, 2010 1:21 PM
    If Shan is cool with it so am I.
    ———————————————–
    If the Shanahans have some kind of problem with Portis, that still doesn’t answer why they didn’t run the ball AT ALL when they were down by…two? At halftime?
    I was just sitting there with my head in my hands unbelieving as Darby carved em up. One of the worst defensive halfs I’ve seen in a long time.

15. boysroll says: Sep 28, 2010 2:09 PM

agree with jetgreeeen…got lucky against my boys and should be 0-3. There season is over anyway as the eagles are going to smoke them this weekend.
    boy…there is a ton of internal personnel issues on this team and I agree with sacdaddy1…..KABOOM!!!!!!!!!! LMFAO.

16. Emiliooo says: Sep 28, 2010 2:13 PM

at least he didn’t take a knee…
    that would have been MUCH safer then sliding!!!

17. BigBlueDeadHead says: Sep 28, 2010 2:17 PM

Ahmad Bradshaw should try that.

18. mwcarolina says: Sep 28, 2010 2:17 PM

As tough as Portis is, i think part of the reason he didnt get many carries in the second half is Ryan Torin. I think Shanahan wants to run with Torin as well because he’s younger than Portis and has played with Shanahan before, hopefully he sticks with these two backs.

19. jamaltimore says: Sep 28, 2010 2:20 PM

Can’t wait to see MV7 light up is old hokie buddy me angelo and the deadskins. Poor donnie boy is stuck smiling on the sideline this Sunday thinking why in the hell did I want to sign with the skins?

20. mad555 says: Sep 28, 2010 2:21 PM

He’s not sure what his role will be this Sunday against the Eagles.
    “I have no idea, bro. I don’t even think it really matters,” Portis said.
    It won’t matter because Portis will not help the RacistSkins from losing to a dog killer. The Racistskins are still a joke of an “organization.”
    And that’s being nice. Portis Sucks, The O-line Sucks, mcpuke will suck, the defence couldn’t care less about playing hard, and the coach is a real life cartoon character. sorta looks like a carrot, or some sort of orange vegetable with fake white dentures.
    FAIL! RACISTSKINS!

21. smithopher says: Sep 28, 2010 2:25 PM

he was caught anyway, he got a big pickup, and if he’s got an injury to his hand and might fumble, i think most coaches would’ve been pleased with that play. big run play on second down, improved that field position nicely, and did whatever was necessary to keep the ball after the pickup.

22. CowboysFansAreAllBandwagonFans says: Sep 28, 2010 2:26 PM

JetGreeeen says “As an observation, I would say that so far the Shanahan experiment has failed miserably.
    Redskins don’t really look much improved, even with McNabb. They could easily be 0-3.”

23. contract says: Sep 28, 2010 2:34 PM

“portis is another Miami punk…..over rated and a soft wuss.”
    That’s amusing. Hurricane RBs are just about the only ones who arrive in the NFL already knowing how to block and laying lumber on anyone and everyone.

24. Tiger Woods Owns You says: Sep 28, 2010 3:04 PM

lol skins are a joke, gotta love it

25. Katmanduu says: Sep 28, 2010 3:20 PM

BigMikeSkinsFan has to be the most delusional Deadskins fan of them all. Dude, you do realize that the Deadskins are one of the 5 worst teams in the league, right?

26. longestlegs says: Sep 28, 2010 3:22 PM

I don’t see why my post got edited/deleted yet the one about Portis hoping to fall on someone’s cock did. Classy place you guys got going here.

27. Skins1970 says: Sep 28, 2010 3:46 PM

Deactivate CP untill he thinks he can run without fumbling and give one of the kids a shot. Ryan Torain looked good on Sunday against the Rams.

28. slickzmoney says: Sep 28, 2010 3:46 PM

Yes Portis has been tough over the years but anyone watching him every week will notice how tentative he has become around the line of scrimage and how easy he goes down in the open field. He also took a dive in the Dallas game to avoid a hit from a safety. Its time to give Portis a secondary role and hope Skins actually look to draft some RB tallent next year. @bigMikeSkinsFan – are u really ok w/ your starting running back leaving yards on the field like that? Well Shanny’s not and thats why he didn’t get carries in the second half.

29. LAEaglefan says: Sep 28, 2010 3:49 PM

The Deadskins would be 0-3 if not for that stupid holding call on the last play of the game against Dallas. I never thought I’d say it, but I wish that I could have watched Roy Williams complete his celebration on that play.

30. boysroll says: Sep 28, 2010 4:07 PM

big mike is the biggest douche 4skin fan on this website…bunch of losers and i agree they are rated from 28-32 in the power rankings as far as I am concerned. IN other words they have not talent and suck the big one. LMFAO.

31. jerry's kids says: Sep 28, 2010 4:13 PM

This started back with Gibbs. They gave the RB’s Portis and Betts $50-$75 mill between them and never drafted or signed any OL.

32. mailman20877 says: Sep 28, 2010 4:46 PM

I never liked clinton portis. I have always thought he was overrated. He didnt have to do much in denver cuz that line was the shit. He comes to DC and really has to break tackles which he cannot do. I could not believe that this guy was falling on purpose. I knew it I knew it. he has been doing it for a few games now. He did not have to say it, everyone pretty much knew. But now that he said it, he is officially SOFT. You never saw tiki barber do that punk shit. He learned a new way to carry the ball and was successful. SORRY EXCUSE FOR A RUNNING BACK. JUST KNEEL THE NEXT TIME SOMEONE GETS TO CLOSE YOU PUSSY

33. CH³NO² says: Sep 28, 2010 6:16 PM

This team is a mess. I see nothing different from last year. I don’t care who they bring in to coach or play, the Redskins are addicted to losing.
    I made a point to watch Fat Al on every defensive play. He was getting run over by everyone on the Ram’s offensive line. A couple times he was flat on his back and the runner ran over him too. Stats show -0- tackles and -0- assists for fatso.
    And MeAngelo……OMG, he was out of position and spinning like a top on a couple plays! I guess it really is his defense and it SUCKS!

34. jdskins44 says: Sep 28, 2010 6:53 PM

The Girl fans must be so excited, they can comment all over Redskins Post for the next 2 weeks with their bye week coming up!! Girl fans remember this, FACT: Redskins are 1-2 Girls are 1-2 and we beat the girls, and we are not anticipating winning the super bowl, like the Girls fans are!! So just remember, THE REDSKINS WON!!!! FU*kers!!!!!!!!!!LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

35. smootysmoot says: Sep 28, 2010 8:37 PM

boysroll sais: IN other words they have not talent and suck the big one. LMFAO
    Hahahahahahaha. I say boysroll is Illiterate. LMFAO. u r such an idiot!

36. rickvaldez says: Sep 28, 2010 9:00 PM

One of the best blocking backs in the league and you people say hes a pussy and sucks. Stupid ass Cowboy and Eagles fans if your not on thier team then you suck. I would be more worried for the Cowboys loaded with all that talent and going to the SB the past 3 years and got beat by the Skins who have no talent. And Eagles fans are wetting thier pants for Vick. Calm down he beat the Lions and Jags. Why do you think he’s so great now when he never was a good QB

37. Mooch says: Sep 29, 2010 9:55 AM

Every team has a guy like Torain.