Michael Vick jerseys are best sellers again

On July 27, 2007, Reebok announced that it would no longer make Michael Vick jerseys, the NFL announced that it would no longer sell Vick products and Nike announced that it had suspended Vick’s contract. But three years later, Vick is playing as well as ever on the field, and his popularity off the field has rebounded as well.

The latest example: Vick jerseys are hot sellers again.

Darren Rovell of CNBC reports that retailers in Philadelphia are doing big business selling Vick jerseys.

“Certainly after coach [Andy] Reid declared him the starter and offered his vote of confidence, demand and sales escalated and we did bring in more [jerseys] to meet customer needs,” Rovell quotes Jed Berger of Modell’s Sporting Goods as saying.

Modell’s is stocking its stores in Pennsylvania, Delaware and New Jersey with Vick jerseys, and even Dick’s Sporting Goods, which previously declined to sell Vick jerseys, is now changing course and will sell them in the Philadelphia area.

Oh, and Rovell reports that on NFLShop.com, you can even personalize an Eagles dog jersey with Vick’s No. 7 on it.

Permalink 68 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
68 Responses to “Michael Vick jerseys are best sellers again”
  1. PurpleNGold says: Sep 28, 2010 12:16 PM

Eagles #7 with “Ron Mexico” allowed as well?

2. smiley says: Sep 28, 2010 12:19 PM

Does it say “Dog Killer” on the back?

3. notorious_buc says: Sep 28, 2010 12:25 PM

Lowest common denominator makes its voice heard again.

4. penguininbondage says: Sep 28, 2010 12:27 PM

Try to get it.
    Very very sad

5. LAEaglefan says: Sep 28, 2010 12:29 PM

No…”Dog Killer” is on the front, with “Vick” and the number 7 on the back.

6. joetoronto says: Sep 28, 2010 12:29 PM

You have to wonder what type of person would walk around with a Vick jersey on.
    Er, on second thought, maybe not.

7. famucancer says: Sep 28, 2010 12:31 PM

Haters still mad huh? LOL

8. Mooney24 says: Sep 28, 2010 12:33 PM

People for the Ethical Treatment of Plants don’t approve of the way in which the Eagles are treating Kevin Kolb.

9. rbais2 says: Sep 28, 2010 12:37 PM

Watch out Reebok!!!!!
    PETA will annoy your asses and try to justify their anti-Vick rallies at your headquarters with bullcrap excuses like “well … we don’t like that a dog killer has a jersey that’s made out of “Eagles” beak!!!!”
    PETA is only angry that he can earn more cash than they can, despite the fact that he’s bankrupt.

10. Perno says: Sep 28, 2010 12:38 PM

It’s because Philly fans have no soul, they’ll admit it.

11. Dapollock says: Sep 28, 2010 12:41 PM

They should make it out of 100% real dalmation fur. That would be cooool.

12. CJ says: Sep 28, 2010 12:42 PM

Next post:
    NFL SHOP pulls Vick Dog Jerseys amidst PETA outcry.

13. birdmancometh says: Sep 28, 2010 12:45 PM

You can also get a dog jersey for every other NFL player.

14. Chapnasty. says: Sep 28, 2010 12:49 PM

Thank God! He is finally vindicated! He did is time and is now one of the elite QB’s in the league! Take that haters!

15. rkell21 says: Sep 28, 2010 12:49 PM

That’s awesome. All the retailers turned their back when it was bleak for his future, but can’t stock them fast enough now that he’s hot again.

16. Philtration says: Sep 28, 2010 12:55 PM

And Sara Palin’s kid is considered a “Star” too.
    Just goes to show that even stupid people can pick out clothing.

17. UMPhish41 says: Sep 28, 2010 12:56 PM

….duh. The REAL reason people stopped selling Vick jereseys had everything to do with a demand plumet and NOTHING to do with a moral reason.
    Does anyone honestly think sporting good stores give a flying fudge about any of this garbage? As long as their products sell, not only will they carry them (in bulk), but they will advertise and sell them as much as humanly possible.
    This is a non-story. Anyone who is surprised by this is either stupid, ignorant, or both.

18. aligreene says: Sep 28, 2010 12:59 PM

Once again haters he paid his debt to society so more power to him

19. MH767 says: Sep 28, 2010 1:04 PM

@ Chapnasty:
    He’s played 2 good games in 2 weeks and he’s an elite QB? Hardly. Let me also point out the games were against Detroit and Jacksonville.
    Modell’s and Dick’s are cash whores. No shame.

20. moolah954 says: Sep 28, 2010 1:04 PM

animal life just dosent hold the same clout as human life.. and we are a country of forgiveness.. the only people who still have issues are people who have the delusional idea that animal life holds the same value as human life.. i have a dog so dont give me that crap about i dont know what a animal can do or dont have love for animals… what he did and what the people around him did was horrible but so much time has passed its time to get over it..they weren’t your dogs and it didn’t effect your life in any way shape or form let it go lets see how much people copy past cut and clip and quote this

21. lars thorwald says: Sep 28, 2010 1:05 PM

I’m sure the SPCA is doing cartwheels…….

22. CleanSlaton says: Sep 28, 2010 1:07 PM

C’mon guys, Philadelphians have to have something better than sleeveless t-shirts to get married in.

23. JohnnyH says: Sep 28, 2010 1:08 PM

There are at least 25 NFL teams who wish that Michael Vick was their QB and tens of thousands of fans who gladly wear Vick’s jersey if he was winning football games for them. Everyone loves to hate the Eagles, their fans and whoever their QB happens to be.

24. Spungy says: Sep 28, 2010 1:09 PM

25. skylark says: Sep 28, 2010 1:13 PM

He’s making the most of his second chance, so good for him. It proves the point that sports fans have very short memories. You’ll see that in action again soon, when Ben Roethlisberger returns and, barring injuries, the Steelers become completely unstoppable. Winning creates an awful lot of selective amnesia.

26. MH767 says: Sep 28, 2010 1:13 PM

Philly fans are retarded. They run McNabb out of town after years of being a great QB. And after 2 games they love Vick?

27. geo1113 says: Sep 28, 2010 1:19 PM

Get over it Vick haters. What he did was deplorable, but the legal system gave him a penalty and he served it (and is still under the conditions of the penalties). Except for the metal lapse of having a party which would have been a non-issue if there wasn’t trouble, all indications are that the man is doing all he can to go in the right directions. He is working harder than he ever has. He was given a second chance and he has to earn that every day. Maybe some of you haters should let us examine your lives.

28. ChizzyBro says: Sep 28, 2010 1:26 PM

Eagles 10-6 or 9-7 and sneak into the playoffs. Maybe even pluk a team or 2 out the playoffs. Especially if Vick plays the Falcons Again in the playoffs. Which he will beat the falcons and the skins wit dnabb comin back this week.

29. Dawkphan says: Sep 28, 2010 1:30 PM

When is the Santa Story going to end ?? it was over 40 years ago and I bet you don’t even know the whole story of what happened. Let it Go !
    I’m sure If he was playing for many other cities and playing well ,he would be embraced by many of thier fans also.
    Ps: I won’t be getting a Vick jersey, and I don’t embrace him. So stop painting with such a broad brush.

30. UMPhish41 says: Sep 28, 2010 1:32 PM

Stallworth did 6 months for killing a human being.
    Vick did 2 years for killing dogs.

31. JLawless87 says: Sep 28, 2010 1:34 PM

I am 23, work at a law firm and I love dogs. I bought both me and my Dalmatian Toby a Vick jersey. I am not an Eagles fan but i started watching Michael Vick when he was at VT. I am from Ohio and a huge Atlanta Falcons fan because of Michael Vick. I was disgusted with his actions off the field. Unlike many others however, I can leave off the field matters… off, and the one-of-a-kind play of one of the most awe-inspiring players of our time on the field. I know you all have your opinions and i respect that. BUT, I feel as if you can respect my decision of continuing to appreciate one of the MOST exciting players to watch in NFL history.

32. AlwaysSunnyInSD says: Sep 28, 2010 1:35 PM

I don’t think the haters are mad, I think the haters are justifiably disgusted.

33. Cardsfan81 says: Sep 28, 2010 1:37 PM

What? Vick’s jersey is out selling the Tim (I have not done anything in this league) Tebow jersey.
    What in the hell is this world coming to?
    Sports are a microcosm of society and this is a glowing example! All the hate out there even after a man has done his time and paid a heavy price.

34. I didn't hear no bell. says: Sep 28, 2010 1:39 PM

Spungy says: September 28, 2010 1:09 PM
    “Wearing a #7 Eagles jersey is just a tad more classy than wearing a #7 Steelers jersey.”
    What does that tell you about football teams in Pennsylvania?

35. BigBear123 says: Sep 28, 2010 1:42 PM

Lowest common denominator makes its voice heard again.

36. In & Out Burger says: Sep 28, 2010 1:48 PM

And some how NFL fans got the stereotype of being stupid? Ridiculous.

37. Soia311 says: Sep 28, 2010 1:55 PM

“Waaahhh, does it say dog killer on the back? Boohoo.”
    Giants, Redskins, and Cowboys fans just will never let this go.

38. Jeff Harper says: Sep 28, 2010 1:57 PM

Do they make one in prison orange or in black and white stripes?

39. In & Out Burger says: Sep 28, 2010 1:59 PM

“UMPhish41 says:
    September 28, 2010 1:32 PM
    Stallworth did 6 months for killing a human being.
    Vick did 2 years for killing dogs.
    To all of you whose veins are coursing with estrogen, try being upset over something that warrants it.”
    People who aren’t smart resort to comparative arguments. (Pause for 90% of the PFT world to google those big words.) The fact that Stallworth only got months has nothing to do with the assertion that Vick is a morally reprehensible person. I could care less how much prison time either of them severed. The point is, Vick did awful things for several years, and the people who choose to still support him just confound the rest of us. I’m not saying you can’t support your team, or hope Vick does good for your own sake (if you have him in a fantasy league), but I don’t see how those things would lead you to defend anything Vick has done or think of him as anything other than a truly distasteful person.
    I would trade for Vick, or Ben, or Ray Lewis in a second, and want them to help my team win as many games as possible, but that doesn’t mean that I have to blindly support anything else they do. Vick is nothing more than a talent clown, playing a game for our amusement. He, like all people with fame, had a chance to be more than just a set of on the field talents. Instead he killed dogs. So now, he gets to go back to being a talent clown, good for one thing, and one thing only: playing football.

40. favrecansuckit says: Sep 28, 2010 2:00 PM

“UMPhish41 says:
    September 28, 2010 1:32 PM
    Stallworth did 6 months for killing a human being.
    Vick did 2 years for killing dogs.
    To all of you whose veins are coursing with estrogen, try being upset over something that warrants it. ”
    ——————————————————–
    BINGO!

41. Braski says: Sep 28, 2010 2:02 PM

Amazing! You bet the Lions and the Jaguars and suddenly you’re on top. WTF!?!

42. In & Out Burger says: Sep 28, 2010 2:07 PM

“UMPhish41 says:
    September 28, 2010 1:32 PM
    Stallworth did 6 months for killing a human being.
    Vick did 2 years for killing dogs.

43. buckifan4life says: Sep 28, 2010 2:08 PM

Always amazes me how, as a society, we forgive ANYONE in sports, especially if they can run fast. The way he treated God’s creatures, I for one, will NEVER forgive. Shame on those who support that piece of crap.

44. No1billsfan says: Sep 28, 2010 2:09 PM

Congrats to Michael Vick. He paid his debt to society, turned his life around and is a man on a mission. I am sour that the Bill’s front office didn’t have the nuts to look past PETA protestor’s and opposing fan opinions & grab Vick 8 months ago.

45. Chapnasty. says: Sep 28, 2010 2:23 PM

@ Dewey
    I have posted and read several arguments that support exactly what you just said. However never, have I read or posted something that articulated the point as clearly and intelligently as that. Well done sir. Can’t wait to hear what people say in response.

46. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Sep 28, 2010 2:23 PM

i bet its hard for some of you haters to sleep at night,

47. mwcarolina says: Sep 28, 2010 2:49 PM

(“There are at least 25 NFL teams who wish that Michael Vick was their QB “)
    Not really, maybe 4 teams, but not 25, i can say that the Jaguars, Cardinals, Bills, and Raiders because of their current passers although if Gradkowski plays well the rest of the year, you can take them off this list.

48. Bigbluefan says: Sep 28, 2010 2:49 PM

First off I am not into PETA nor a racist
    But neither Stallworth or Vick should be playing in the NFL
    They do not have a right to be among the rare few lucky enough to wear an NFL jersey
    And and to all of you fools out buying Vick jerseys
    I have one to its from the team he will be back on real soon the Federal Dept of Corrections
    And when it comes to Stallworth I do not think he got up one morning and said hey I am going to go kill someone today that was an mistake a stupid mistake.
    Vick would still be killing dogs if he did not get caught as a matter of fact I am waiting for him to get caught again
    Once a thug always a thug
    And FYI if he were playing for the Giants my PSL would be up for sale right now

49. petro says: Sep 28, 2010 2:58 PM

@ Perno – I’m a Philly fan and think it’s sad this is the case. I didn’t even like the Vickadelphia sign either during the game. Philly fans get ripped on a lot, sometimes very fairly because SOME of us do dumb things but we go to the games no matter what and support our teams. It’s always too easy to get on the Philly fan and the reference of Santa Claus is merely lazy journalsim. Ask David Price if he’s like to play in Philly.

50. TheGuyWhoToldTimTebowToShutTheFup says: Sep 28, 2010 3:00 PM

I hope the sales blow through the roof.
    That way I can spot losers instantly

51. ahash513 says: Sep 28, 2010 3:01 PM

I bought one of these last year when the birds signed Vick. I love dogs, and what he did was wrong but on the other hand I am a football fan, I am a grown ass man and I do not need a role model so i could care less what some did off the field 3 plus years ago and already served his time. All I care about are what he does between the white lines and if he gets “W”s in the right colum. And every one who likes to bust on Vick for beating up on the Lions, and the Jags his best half of football was played agaisnt the Packers, you know the ones that are 5th in the league in Pass Defense? 3rd over all in total defense? yeh he rushed for 100 + a TD and and some 150+ passing yards. Hes back and better then ever and every one who likes to complain about what he did back then you shouldnt even by online right now, you should be helping out at your local animal shelter cleaning up dog $hit if you are so offend buy what he did. Get over it and get used to the fact the Vick is back and the NFL better be ready.

52. Tiger Woods Owns You says: Sep 28, 2010 3:01 PM

God I love Mike Vick and couldn’t be more happy that he is our starting QB.
    I could care less about his dog fighting past and I think every needs to move on.

53. NoKoolaidCowboy says: Sep 28, 2010 3:07 PM

Not a hater but it has been only 2 games. I understand the fans need something to believe in. So be it.

54. PED'S ARE GOOD FOR SPORTS says: Sep 28, 2010 3:16 PM

moolah954 says:
    September 28, 2010 1:04 PM
    ^^^ Ill be the first to copy and paste, but only because I agree 100%. Listen, I would never hurt any animals, unless it was warranted. I dont condone what he did, but he served his time. Paid the penalty set forth by the system, and is STILL paying it with probation. To reference him with a murderer of people or child molester, or to say that a dog hold’s as much clout as a human life are ALL wrong. Ill probably get rosated along with you, but hey its the truth. Dogfighting is HUGE down south and the ONLY reason Big Brother cared was because of the tremendoud cash flow that went untaxed. Do you think the gov’t really gives a dam about people killing animals or hurting themselves with drugs, prostitution, etc? PLEASE. Its ALL about the untaxed money exchanging hands. And further more, dogs are EATEN in some countries. I love dogs, but c’mon people. They dont hold the same weight as human lives. Let it go. Its over.

55. poonhok says: Sep 28, 2010 3:17 PM

And the uptick in sales coincides with “First Friday”….

56. boltdog says: Sep 28, 2010 3:25 PM

Amazing he goes from dog killer to jail bird and now his jersey’s are a big seller. How soon the public forgets. But what the hell are a couple drowned dogs.

57. BlackMagic says: Sep 28, 2010 3:27 PM

@ Dewey Axewoond
    Nice post – if anyone deserves props, you do.
    You have it spot on…enjoy it now Vick defenders, he WILL screw it up. It’s as inevitable as society’s lowest forms of life sticking up for this guy.

58. Dilbio50 says: Sep 28, 2010 3:38 PM

I “severed” prison time, too…and the back of my #7 jersey says “Dog Killa”….yeah, baby….yeah!
    Mike Prick and the Dog Killas will devour the McChoke-skins. Book it.

59. JuicyMelon says: Sep 28, 2010 3:42 PM

Yeah I don’t agree with what Vick did. But PETA should just get the f out of the NFL. They said there peace, action was taken, and now it’s done. PETA is a joke.

60. kingkenley says: Sep 28, 2010 3:47 PM

if you’re still hating on mike vick GIVE IT UP he served his time and he’s come back better than ever.
    ps take a SECOND to think does hating vick do anything to better your life? do you get a bonus? a better car? a better house? better life? no.

61. Matt The Bat says: Sep 28, 2010 3:50 PM

10% of all profits go to a side bet of oscar the rotweiler vs. chauncey the pit bull….coming soon to a city near you.

62. Shaun Smith's Hand says: Sep 28, 2010 3:57 PM

Demand is up. I’d love to get my hands on one of those puppies.

63. zalayetta says: Sep 28, 2010 6:05 PM

It’s not because he killed dogs, it’s because of the way he did it. He could of had them put down but he chose to torture them to death. Anybody who ever spent any time around pit bulls knows what a loving and sensitive breed that is. A dog which will not turn against a man even in the most traumatic situations. And he butchered, drowned, electrocuted and buried them while some of them were still alive. You do realize that only deeply disturbed person can be capable of doing those things to any living being?
    To all of you who after all think that “it’s not big of a deal” I suggest reading “Eulogy on a Dog”. Maybe that will give you some perspective.

64. BlackMagic says: Sep 28, 2010 6:29 PM

@ kingkenley
    Why spend so much time defending someone that is clearly mentally defective. Only someone mentally sick would do the torturous things he did.
    ps why don’t YOU take a SECOND to think does DEFENDING vick do anything to better your life? do you get a bonus? a better car? a better house? better life? no.

65. Bigbluefan says: Sep 28, 2010 6:35 PM

Instead of lining the pockets of that thug spend $20.00 and buy a book called The Lost Dog if you still want to own a Vick jersey afterwards go buy one. But first find out what a hero your #7 really is
    For you egal fans buy the book and find that one member of your family that can read and have them read it to you slowly.
    Here is a part of the book
    the abuse, torture, and execution of the animals–particularly disturbing is an episode in which Vick and a friend swing a failed fighting dog “over their heads like a jump rope” and kill it by repeatedly slamming it into the ground-
    I hope that a LB for the Skin Slams him into the ground repeatedly
    He is reformed my ass

66. shazard01 says: Sep 28, 2010 7:31 PM

@ Dilbio50, Take the skins and the points all day long, Mccrab to have a game of his life and gets the win….

67. Dewey Axewoond says: Sep 28, 2010 7:39 PM

@ Chapnasty & Blackmagic,
    Thanks–apparently the post was so on point that PFT saw fit to remove it completely (chickenshit move), although all I did was discuss the realities of what Mike Vick had actually, physically done to those dogs.
    What was the issue PFT? What, exactly, was too “over the top”?
    The idea of Vick crushing those little doggie skulls with cement blocks while they whimpered and died, electrocuting them, duct-taping their mouths so they couldn’t defend themselves while other animals tore them to shreds, drowning them, or what?
    Was it the herpes stuff?
    I’d LOVE to hear your justification–though like with Vick’s actions, I’m sure there is none.
    This isn’t me being over-the-top–this is the REALITY of Mike Vick’s character.
    You pulling my comments actually speaks louder than my comments themselves–now, will you post this one, or will you continue to be cowardly whores and protect that sadistic, criminal scumbag…?
    Like I said, it’s not about not believing in a man having “second chances”–it’s about not putting him back on the privileged pedestal that is the NFL, to be celebrated, adverstised, extolled, and discussed and beamed into my family’s living room on a Sunday morning. No thanks.

68. Bigbluefan says: Sep 28, 2010 8:27 PM