Nick Collins apologizes, said he should have walked away

Two days after a post-game confrontation with a fan, Packers safety Nick Collins apologized to his team and fans for attracting negative attention.

“This is a situation that I could have walked away from but, you know,
heat of the moment,” Collins said. “Things happen. Both sides [were] out
of line.”

Collins wouldn’t go into details about what the fan said, but he didn’t contradict a WITI-TV report that said the fan spit and used a racial slur.

“You know, it’s going to happen,” Collins said. “I’m probably not the
only guy that’s been in that situation before. It happens. I’m a
professional. I’ve got to be a bigger person and keep walking.”

It didn’t sound like he needed to apologize to his teammates.

“The fans are taking it too far,” wide receiver Donald Driver said.
“This is a game where we go out here and we try to have fun playing it. I
think the fans are taking it too far when they start talking about you,
your family. They don’t know your family.”

“I think fans sometimes forget we’re human,” quarterback Aaron Rodgers said.

The NFL and Bears officials are continuing to look into the incident.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
42 Responses to “Nick Collins apologizes, said he should have walked away”
  1. FLORIDA PACKER says: Sep 29, 2010 11:06 PM

Dude had it coming, way to misrepresent your state bro. Really gives a bad name to Bears fans and Chicago alike.
    Walter Payton would be ashamed.

2. Optims Prime says: Sep 29, 2010 11:14 PM

Just another piece of evidence that Chicago fans are the trashiest in the NFL. They fill Soldier Field to watch an overachieving roster flounder around for four quarters only to capitalize on the Packer’s lack of discipline and poor coaching and then hurl racial epithets at players on a team they just beat.
    What a bunch of Schlitz-for-brains.

3. ncm42 says: Sep 29, 2010 11:15 PM

Collins should have kicked that “fan”‘s ass. And the NFL should show some backbone and NOT fine him. It’s 2010. I think if you’re going to throw racial slurs at anyone — especially a pro athlete — there should be a temporary ‘free pass’ granted to the person at whom the slur was directed. That fan is a punk bitch who should have suffered the consequences for being a redneck racist.

4. ChillyP says: Sep 29, 2010 11:18 PM

I’m hearing alot of Wah Wah the fans are sooooo mean….. You guys get paid bugillions and need to be professional and just walk away. It’s not like your fans dont moon the opponents team’s bus when they leave your stadium…

5. Fire Ted says: Sep 29, 2010 11:19 PM

If he did use a racial slur, Collins shoulda capped his ass.

6. BigBear123 says: Sep 29, 2010 11:21 PM

Pretty obvious from the photos it is an Eagles fan at the Bears game.
    Found a few pictures of him in Eagles attire.
    Pic 1
    Pic 2

7. ACS2 says: Sep 29, 2010 11:51 PM

ChillyP says:
    September 29, 2010 11:18 PM
    ———
    Absolutely right. They should take away those fans’ asses as well.

8. DSC says: Sep 29, 2010 11:56 PM

Optims Prime says:
    September 29, 2010 11:14 PM
    ___________________
    Never been to home game for the Eagles or Vikes huh?
    Talked with a guy who was at the game and said the Bears fans were suprisingly classy….not that their aren’t bad fans at each stadium but as a whole he said they were very descent….

9. Hawkfan50 says: Sep 30, 2010 12:13 AM

The fan should’ve been ejected immediately . Yes the players make a lot of money but there’s no excuse for treating anyone in American society like that . Our brothers and sisters fight and die next to one another for our freedoms , and some retarded drunken football fan takes it all for granted by acting like an idiot and hurling racial slurs .
    Don’t worry Nick – you already are the bigger man .

10. JSpicoli says: Sep 30, 2010 12:20 AM

sounds like collins played the race card to justify his actions, and it most likely did not happen. we may never know, but if you don’t think that happens all the time you are crazy.

11. Allied Biscuit says: Sep 30, 2010 12:25 AM

thin skinned much?
    these guys have been star athletes since they were probably 10, and they aren’t used to fans doing what fans do? come on.
    guess what? it worked! that fan got in their head, and distracted them.

12. VikesBlowHorn says: Sep 30, 2010 12:43 AM

ncm42-I agree 100%
    ChillyP-Are you seriously comparing mooning to racial slurs? You gotta be a dumbass vikes fan.

13. trey dog says: Sep 30, 2010 2:00 AM

They get paid to play football not deal with racist fools that think buying a ticket gives them the right to say what ever they want .

14. downsouth49er says: Sep 30, 2010 2:20 AM

don’t walk away collins, rip the SOB head off…I hate ignorant racist people…anybody ever call me a racial slur face to face i’m going to kill them, plain and simple

15. kristoff says: Sep 30, 2010 2:38 AM

the fan should have waited 4 him at the team bus 2 call him names. oh wait,then he wlda got his ass kicked,nevermind. haha

16. frylord says: Sep 30, 2010 4:21 AM

I highly doubt the league decides to suspend him. Minor fine at best. If they suspend him it just sends the message to fans like this racist piece of trash that if you taunt players enough to get a reaction you can get them suspended for a while.

17. Love_Boat_Scandal says: Sep 30, 2010 5:38 AM

ChillyP says:
    September 29, 2010 11:18 PM
    I’m hearing alot of Wah Wah the fans are sooooo mean . . . . It’s not like your fans dont moon the opponents team’s bus when they leave your stadium.
    *************************
    Um. You complain about people whining about mean fans. Then you go on to whine about mean fans.
    Maybe you should change your handle to “ChilledWhine”.

18. ProfessorEmmitt says: Sep 30, 2010 5:40 AM

How pathetic……..He’s been in the NFL since what……..2005……..And he manned up, said i should have known better etc…….But you get the packers kankle addicted homers, still reeling from a keilbosa overdose, saying blame the fan, cap the fan, it’s an Eagles fans fault, too damn funny…Is their any grown man more embarrassing than a packers fan…Seriously

19. EricEmpire says: Sep 30, 2010 5:52 AM

Hey optims prime,
    you are smart.
    thats completely accurate.
    enjoy floating in the river you just cried.

20. mattgso says: Sep 30, 2010 5:59 AM

For several million a year, you can insult me all you want. I’ll even give you a few pointers how to really get under my skin.

21. Topher says: Sep 30, 2010 7:08 AM

“I think fans sometimes forget we’re human,” quarterback Aaron Rodgers said.
    Shut up and cash your paycheck.

22. kotapug says: Sep 30, 2010 7:49 AM

90% chance the fan did not use racial slur but give someone one second and the race card is used so they dont have to be responsible for there actions. This guy and Haynswerth should hang out maybe theyt can talk about being million dollar slaves . Thug losers that think they can do what they want because they have talent and no brain.

23. DankSteady says: Sep 30, 2010 8:07 AM

Regardless of what went down between Collins and the fan, Bears fans are fair weather and classless. PERIOD.

24. Jack Burton says: Sep 30, 2010 8:31 AM

I would have paid to see him go Artest on that fan. “Mess with the bull you get the horns.”

25. NoRingsForYou says: Sep 30, 2010 8:32 AM

Who hasn’t wanted to throw something at a Bears fan? They’re so delusional they actually think they’re going to the Super Bowl this year. Their foolish antics are amusing.

26. STEELCHUCK says: Sep 30, 2010 8:41 AM

Topher:
    “I think fans sometimes forget we’re human,” quarterback Aaron Rodgers said.
    Shut up and cash your paycheck.
    ?? Really…??
    A person’s profession does not dictate the amount or kind of abuse you should be expected to take. What if someone came up to you while you were stocking shelves at the dollar store where you work, and hurled insults at you? Is that ok? Now shut up, and stack that $1 bathtub cleaner… oh… cleanup on aisle 2… hurry…someone knocked over your brains… (not much to mop up though)

27. cornflorio says: Sep 30, 2010 8:45 AM

Nick Collins is married with three kids, volunteers in the offseason, and has said all the right things following this incident. You never hear anything bad about him, and teammates say he’s a locker room “good guy”. If he says the guy used a slur, I’m going to believe him.

28. ChillyP says: Sep 30, 2010 8:45 AM

VikesBlowHorn -Racial Slur? Huh? Where’s the evidence? I’ve seen the video and there’s a lot of people standing around during the incident and not a single peep from the Stadium guards, photographers, janitor, etc. Zero proof. Not a single shred of evidence to back up Nick. Heck the video doesn’t even have it.
    Love_Boat_Scandal- Yeah, mmmm okay. I was never complaining about the fans. I simply said that Packer fans aren’t known for being classy, either. Please read the post above (from Pack Nation) and you’ll see why. Maybe you should change your name to Love_Boat_Can’t_Read_&_Digest_Post_GOOD!

29. Mrsteve says: Sep 30, 2010 8:52 AM

What’s worse is the idiot’s in here saying they would kill someone over a slur or bust a cap in someone’s ass
    How weak minded are you that you would let something a fool says control your actions
    Pathetic
    And to want to kill someone over something so insignificant
    Wait till you hear what they call you in jail
    Idiots

30. ken hawk says: Sep 30, 2010 9:14 AM

I’ve been razzed plenty by Bears fans. I’ve been kicked in the ass while standing at a urinal at Lambeau by Packers fans. I’ve had a plastic fork hit my wife thrown from a dumbass Eagles fan.
    So do I hold it against all Bears, Packers, and Eagles fans? No. Anyone who thinks like this is a moron.
    It happens, and a lot of times, other fans kick his ass. There’s families out there and people paying way too much just to enjoy the game and they don’t want that around.
    Go Lions.

31. slegeir says: Sep 30, 2010 9:36 AM

Why do teams have to hate each other so much? It’s a game. Bears fans should’ve just been happy they got the win, because they certainly didn’t deserve it. If a racial slur was used I can see him getting upset about that. Come on fans, straighten up! They play their guts out for us, let’s appreciate what they do!

32. MrHumble says: Sep 30, 2010 9:38 AM

I agree with A. Rodgers, Collins and other players, they shouldn’t have to take that kind of abuse, however I do find it curious that packer fans themselves would complain after the way they treat opposing players, including one BF when he came to Lambeau last year. I don’t think there is cause for any fan of any sport to be verbally abusive to an athlete and especially involving personal, family, race issues.

33. morningoak says: Sep 30, 2010 9:42 AM

Its pretty clear that none of you people were there and heard/saw what happened first hand so why the quick judgement on either person?
    Maybe the N word was used after Collins threw the mouthpiece at the guy and said “use this to cover up your redneck tooth you cracker bitch”.
    Nah…that never happens.

34. Philtration says: Sep 30, 2010 9:44 AM

“I think fans sometimes forget we’re human,” quarterback Aaron Rodgers said.
    Really?
    Did he say that before or after he pointed to the crowd and then pointed at his own ass?
    Since he can’t play the race card then what was his excuse?
    Some fan yell out that he looks just like Nicolas Cage in “Raising Arizona”?
    I worked at Soldier Field for 4 years and I have been to Lambeau for a couple of Bears-Packers games.
    I have been to MLB games at Wrigley Field, Comiskey Park, Miller Park, County Stadium and Bush Stadium and you are always going to have a few drunken assholes in the stands no matter where you go.
    If it even happened.
    If that had been Clay Mathews throwing shit at a fan after a loss then he would have been called out for being a jag off instead of him being portrayed as a victim.

35. MuskyHunter2542 says: Sep 30, 2010 10:02 AM

This guy made me sick. The Bears front office should not only ban the dousche canoe, but also make a public statment condemning this guys actions.

36. purpleguy says: Sep 30, 2010 10:15 AM

Pro football players are public figures who make millions each year and for the most part are idolized by fans. If they’re going to accept the dough, play in stadiums full of people, and accept the praise of their fans (and what fans are more delusionally loyal than cheesers), they’d better be prepared to accept fan taunts as insulting as they may be. They can’t have it both ways. However, if the fan spit or threw something at him, that’s assault, and he has every right to defend himself.

37. LeRoy36 says: Sep 30, 2010 12:01 PM

Spitting on a player = assault.
    Racial epithets = hate crime.

38. packrulzm says: Sep 30, 2010 12:51 PM

DankSteady says:
    September 30, 2010 8:07 AM
    ————————————————————————————
    Bears fan are fair weather fans and classless? What? Are you drunk? Living in Southern Wisconsin, I know a ton of Bears fans. All have been fans through good times and bad. You must be mistaking Bears fans with Vikings fans. You know, the team that could not sell out a PLAYOFF Game! I have been to several Packers/Vikings games and several Packers/Bears games. Bears fans enjoy the rivalry and I have never experienced anything but friendly banter back and forth from them. Vikings fans on the other hand are obnoxious, loud , know-it-all idiots. Give me the Bears and a real rivalry anytime.
    Imbecile.

39. Other Bears says: Sep 30, 2010 2:12 PM

Well said (fudge)packrulzm. When is the last time the season at Soldier Field didn’t sell out within’ an hour of the tickets going on sale? We might rip our own team more than any other group of fans, but we’re watching while we bitch!

40. ACS2 says: Oct 1, 2010 11:57 AM

MrHumble says:
    September 30, 2010 9:38 AM
    ———–
    Which team do you root for, Humble? Still waiting to hear that.

41. ACS2 says: Oct 1, 2010 12:01 PM

Philtration says:
    September 30, 2010 9:44 AM
    ———-
    No, the idiots would be playing the “roid rage” card if it were Matthews.

42. badfish69 says: Oct 2, 2010 4:11 PM

# MrHumble says: September 30, 2010 9:38 AM
    —————————————————
    Tell me what was specifically said to Brett Favre last year that crossed the line. I’m curious because I heard no reports of Packer fans saying anything that even comes close to a threat or slur towards him. Or are you one of those guys who is still hurt because Packer fans booed him?