Delhomme gets closer to return for Browns

When I made my Week Four pick of the Browns over the Bengals, I noted that the pick would self-destruct in one quarter if Jake Delhomme wound up starting over Seneca Wallace.

It looks like I’m in trouble.  (Note:  Florio is also in trouble, since he chose the Browns. And I may as well take this moment to be an ass and point out I’m 34-14 over the first three weeks, while Florio is 32-16.  He’s trying to keep these numbers secret since he’s yet to win a week.)

Delhomme returned to practice on Thursday, almost three weeks removed from suffering a high ankle sprain.  Coach Eric Mangini said Delhomme would start if healthy.

“Yeah. He’s our starter. We’ve got to see. If he’s ready to start, he’ll start,” Mangini said Thursday via the Cleveland Plain-Dealer.

The coach said Delhomme would be limited in practice Thursday after missing work Wednesday.  His use of “if he’s ready” could be Mangini’s out.  Perhaps the team will see Delhomme isn’t fully healthy, so Seneca Wallace will get one more start.

That’s my hope anyway after Wallace’s solid effort in Baltimore.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
10 Responses to “Delhomme gets closer to return for Browns”
  1. stevincinci says: Sep 30, 2010 3:04 PM

Doesn’t matter who they start. You guys both picked the wrong team. Bengals increase their AFC North winning streak to 9 games in a row.

2. orangeandbrown85 says: Sep 30, 2010 3:28 PM

I love how both these idiots just assume that Delhomme will stink it up, after he played one half of football while healthy. And outside of one BAD throw and subsequent interception, he didn’t look too bad and the offense moved the ball decently. While I thought Wallace played fairly well last week, I don’t see any reason why he should start over Delhomme with what we’ve seen. If Delhomme sucks bad enough, fine, put Wallace in, but don’t ASSUME he will suck.

3. Floriohatescincy says: Sep 30, 2010 3:37 PM

If you think Seneca Wallace could be the difference between winning and losing, again, “You’re on crack.”
    Bengals D>Ravens D
    Simple as that, Brownies played their hearts out last week, best game they’ll play all year, won’t happen two weeks in a row.

4. .RebaTe (Mail-in) says: Sep 30, 2010 3:41 PM

# stevincinci says: September 30, 2010 3:04 PM
    “Bengals increase their AFC North winning streak to 9 games in a row.”
    ..and they continue their Super Bowl streak to, uhm, zero.

5. Goetta-Head says: Sep 30, 2010 4:01 PM

The Browns are just trying to make the Bengals prepare for more options at QB. Its a last ditch effort to try and smoke and mirror their way into a win. It aint gonna happen. Cincy D is far too fast and simple. Delhomme or no Delhomme it dont matter

6. football genius says: Sep 30, 2010 4:33 PM

Makes no sense other than to expedite Mangenius out of town

7. ncsteeler says: Sep 30, 2010 5:18 PM

In the last decade Balt&Pitt are 18-9 in playoffs including 3 Lombaries, the state of Ohio is 0-3, obviously with no Lombardies. Until Ohio teams do something in playoffs, AFC North runs through Pitt and Balt.

8. stevincinci says: Sep 30, 2010 5:28 PM

# stevincinci says: September 30, 2010 3:04 PM
    “Bengals increase their AFC North winning streak to 9 games in a row.”
    ..and they continue their Super Bowl streak to, uhm, zero.
    At least they’ve been to two of them. More times than a lot of teams can say, like Cleveland, for instance.

9. civilwarfish says: Oct 1, 2010 9:57 AM

stevincinci says: September 30, 2010 3:04 PM
    “Bengals increase their AFC North winning streak to 9 games in a row.”
    ..and they continue their Super Bowl streak to, uhm, zero.
    **********************************************
    OK…since we are using utterly useless statistics…how about this one…
    Times champion of their league
    Cleveland – 8
    Cincinnati – 0
    or this one….
    Times NFL Champion
    Cleveland – 4
    Cincinnati – 0
    Or one more fun one…
    Consecutive League Championship Appearances
    Cleveland – 10
    Cincinnati – 1
    I put that last one up there so Cincinnati could show they did have something going.
    Point is…what is past is past. What happens now is what matters. Cinci has a better chance right now of winning it all. That is going to change real soon…so they better do it now.

10. RayRay says: Oct 1, 2010 10:01 AM

Cleveland needs back to back wins starting now to restore hope to this season. If last week was their best punch we’ll in trouble. This is the earliest in 40 years that I sense a season going nowhere. I have never felt like giving up so early. Why? I think I lost faith in the coaching staff. Mangini needs to go and take all of his assistants with him.
    We are not going to win this guy. I am convinced.