Giants co-owner to visit Plaxico Burress in jail

Giants co-owner Steve Tisch and Plaxico Burress will meet for an hour on Saturday inside the Oneida Correctional Facility, according to Steve Serby of the New York Post.

Tisch and Burress had a close relationship before.

“We spent time together outside the locker room away from the stadium. I
think that he felt that I trusted him and he trusted me. I don’t want
to describe it as a father-son relationship. If there were things that
were concerning him or he wanted some direction or feedback, I was one
of the people he felt he could go to. It was outside the relationship of
player and co-owner,” Tisch said.

Burress went to pay his respects to Tisch’s father Preston Robert Tisch just before Tisch lost his battle to brain cancer two years ago.

“It was a very moving experience for Plaxico, for me,” Steve Tisch remembered.  That close relationship could possibly help Burress get a job once he’s out of prison next June.

“We have not closed any doors on the opportunity to bring Plaxico back in,” Tisch said.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
19 Responses to “Giants co-owner to visit Plaxico Burress in jail”
  1. PED'S ARE GOOD FOR SPORTS says: Oct 1, 2010 11:42 AM

And he SHOULD get that chance. This guy isnt a criminal, hes a dumbass for shooting himself in the leg and not having the gun properly registered. He was a victim, honestly, of an over eager SOB of a DA trying to make a political name and statement for himself. The guy didnt need to soak up tax-payer money by being in jail for being an idiot above all else.

2. footballformula says: Oct 1, 2010 12:02 PM

FREE 17!!!!

3. Zaggs says: Oct 1, 2010 12:15 PM

Nor should they close the door. If Dante Stallworth can get back in the league a guy who was worried about his personal security 3 days after his team mate was robbed at gunpoint (by a guy who probably spent less time in jail) and so carried a gun he was unconstitutionally not allowed to register. No one else was harmed (and don’t give me the “he could have killed someone” so can someone with a DUI).

4. red13 says: Oct 1, 2010 12:26 PM

And if Coughlin gets fired, they could have a Plax-Cowher reunion in New York in 2011…

5. PriorKnowledge says: Oct 1, 2010 12:33 PM

I agree. Plaxico is not a criminal. Caught up in stupid NY gun laws. With all the drug dealers out there, you’d think the DA would have more actual dangerous people out there.
    Plaxico should have been sentenced to a gun safety and use course.

6. GiantsDefenseRules says: Oct 1, 2010 12:37 PM

@PED’S -
    Actually, he is a criminal…it is a law that he needed to have the gun registered. By breaking the law, it makes him a criminal, and he is properly serving his time.
    After he is released, then he SHOULD be given the opportunity to work again….just like Jamal Lewis, Michael Vick, etc. have been given the chance.
    I look forward to seeing him as changed as Vick appears to be.

7. BAtkins63 says: Oct 1, 2010 12:38 PM

They’ll exercise their political and judicial weight on a football player, but the guido’s are runnin’ free.

8. cornflorio says: Oct 1, 2010 12:41 PM

Plaxico should be in prison, what he did is way worse than anything that Leonard Little or Donte Stallworth did….oh wait….

9. Suitcasehead Golic says: Oct 1, 2010 12:52 PM

That should be a fun conjugal visit…

10. PED'S ARE GOOD FOR SPORTS says: Oct 1, 2010 1:26 PM

GiantsDefenseRules says:
    October 1, 2010 12:37 PM
    @PED’S -
    Legally, ok. He is. But common sense dictates otherwise. But hey, who invokes that?

11. steelersmichele says: Oct 1, 2010 1:41 PM

Although I believe Plaxico should be punished for his actions, I do think what happened to him was too harsh. Yes, it was illegal and the law stated his sentence, but I have a hard time comparing his sentence to that of Stallworth.

12. steelersmichele says: Oct 1, 2010 1:55 PM

13. Mooney24 says: Oct 1, 2010 2:05 PM

PriorKnowledge:
    “I agree. Plaxico is not a criminal. Caught up in stupid NY gun laws.”
    Um, seriously? He was carrying an unregistered firearm into a nightclub establishment and managed to shoot himself. He could have shot anyone in that place.
    I’m conservative on gun issues – but you can’t be tucking illegally owned guns into your velour sweatpants in a nightclub. It doesn’t make any sense. If I got caught doing it I would have served the whole 3 years.
    That’s right – Burress actually faced LESS time than is legally demanded in such cases. So stop crying.
    He deserves the chance to play again once he’s served his time, just as the Stallworths and Vicks. But let’s stop pretending like he’s incarcerated wrongly.

14. Mooney24 says: Oct 1, 2010 2:08 PM

Why the hell are people comparing the sentence he faced with that of Stallworth or other places? Do people not get it?
    States have different statutes they enforce. Each criminal case that is brought before a court has different circumstances in play. Stallworth was in a situation where he hit a pedestrian who was wrongly in the street, and while he did so intoxicated – the family was very emphatic with the DA to let him go so that they could garner a financial settlement.
    Not every court case is created equal, especially when we’re talking about cases in different states. It’s an ignorant action to compare the two.

15. PED'S ARE GOOD FOR SPORTS says: Oct 1, 2010 3:05 PM

Mooney24 says:
    October 1, 2010 2:05 PM
    PriorKnowledge:
    “I agree. Plaxico is not a criminal. Caught up in stupid NY gun laws.”
    ^^^^
    ___________________________________
    ^^^ HUGE difference between ILLEGAL (unregistered anywhere) and UNREGISTERED (not registered in said state)….HUGE…
    Again, C’MON MAN !!!

16. Mooney24 says: Oct 1, 2010 5:19 PM

@PEDS:
    “Are YOU serious? Ok then by THAT logic, NOONE should be allowed to carry, ANYWHERE, because at ANY time, a gun can off and shoot someone else. C’mon man, be for real.”
    The only thing I can delineate from this comment is that you’re not smart.
    He discharged a firearm in a public place. I’m not saying people shouldn’t be allowed to carry. But those that are licensed to own or carry are expected to act responsibly with their firearms. Even a legal owner is not expected to carry it into a club and accidentally discharge it. THAT person would also get charged.
    Especially in NY, where you can’t do this. You can dislike the law all you like, but he broke the law and could have injured others. That’s just the facts. I’m sorry you’re so dense that you can’t see that.
    Also, yes, there is a difference between illegal and unregistered firearms. But since that gun had no current registration on it (IT WAS EXPIRED IN FLORIDA SO I’LL USE CAPS TOO SO MAYBE YOU READ THIS AND YOUR HEAD WON’T EXPLODE) it was not ‘legal’.
    If you don’t like facts, don’t read what I write. I never said he shouldn’t be allowed to return to his career, and you also should note that he received a lesser sentence than what is stipulated by law. School’s out. Go drink some glue.

17. jkorn1818 says: Oct 1, 2010 5:25 PM

mooney24, do some research on how many first time offenders actually go to jail in NY for that same crime, last i checked it was about 20 something %. Lets call a spade a spade, bloomberg was looking for face time and to make an example out of him. two of his teammates were robbed at gunpoint within a 3 week span of that happening. it was a registered gun, just not in NYC. Not to mention LQ (where it all went down) knew he had a gun and security was escorting him inside. there is no way he should be rotting in prison this long while mike vick is playing and stallworth is on a roster. its absurd. If you think about what happened, its pretty hard to grasp. My friend said the other day they are both thugs, except one shot HIMSELF not what if he shot someone else. He had that gun in self defense, not to rob someone. Vick only operated an illegal gambling ring, lied and covered it up, transported living animals through state lines, made them fight on his property and what happened to the loser? he dunked them in his pool, then electrocuted them until they died and to top it off, had a graveyard on his property where he buried them.

18. Mooney24 says: Oct 1, 2010 5:44 PM

You tell me to do my research and yet you didn’t do your own. You’re citing statistics from different cases in which the gun wasn’t brought to a public place and discharged. This was an egregious example of what can go wrong. And he’s paying the price for it. And even as a first time offender, he’s getting a decent deal.
    Now that that’s out of the way, I think guys like Vick, Stallworth, and Leonard Little are all far worse than Burress. Far worse. So you’re insinuating I’m glad he got put away for so long. And that somehow I find his crime to be worse than theirs. Not in a million years.
    He should be allowed to continue his career once his sentence is up. That’s it.
    And as I also mentioned earlier, comparing cases in one jurisdiction to another is an ignorant act. You simply can not A) Compare State law and B) act as if each court case is brought before a judge with the same circumstances. It’s impossible to do.

19. Mooney24 says: Oct 1, 2010 5:46 PM

And for the last time, the gun Burress had wasn’t currently registered in any state. Even IF it was still registered in Florida, that doesn’t mean anything in New York. Perhaps just more leniency.