Roy Williams wants you to know the $54,896 meal wasn't his fault

Some folks thought it was funny; some thought it was sad; some used it as a life lesson to point out how NFL players waste their money in trying economic times.

(My take: Rich people of all occupations have been spending lots of money on crazy things for a long time.  The gap between NFL salaries and the average joe has been hard to comprehend for a while.  It’s part of the game. The spending is in some ways unfortunate, but it’s not really my place to judge how grown men spend their money.)

Cowboys receiver Roy Williams wants everyone to know it wasn’t all his fault.

“I don’t understand why my name is associated with this whole ordeal,”
Williams said, via ESPNDallas.com’s Tim McMahon.  “I mean, it’s the same offensive dinner
that we’ve been doing, that every team does in the NFL. So I don’t know
why my name is the single name in this thing.
I have nothing against Dez; Dez has nothing against me.”

Still, he appreciates Dez’s generosity.

“I ain’t ate in two days,” Williams said.  “I’m good.”

Permalink 83 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
83 Responses to “Roy Williams wants you to know the $54,896 meal wasn't his fault”
  1. mvlonergan says: Oct 1, 2010 1:45 PM

Nice try, Williams. That doesn’t explain how the entire team, not just the offense, got invited.
    I understand your qualms Rosenthal, but think of it this way: if NFL players didn’t waste their money then lots of folks like restaurant owners, waitresses, and cooks would be that much closer to unemployment.

2. mr_snrub says: Oct 1, 2010 1:49 PM

The problem is that it wasn’t so much Dez Bryant deciding how to spend his money as it was half of a football team deciding how he had to spend it.

3. Igottz5onit says: Oct 1, 2010 1:49 PM

That last line is funny

4. gypjet says: Oct 1, 2010 1:50 PM

I don’t want to hear about their big, fancy dinner. However, only liberals have their panties in a bunch about it. Those guys earned their money and it’s nobody’s business what they do with it.

5. titknocker says: Oct 1, 2010 1:51 PM

roy should match that almost 55 grand and donate it to a food shelter in the dallas area.

6. WhoDeySood5 says: Oct 1, 2010 1:51 PM

Roy is still a piece of shit

7. Pistol says: Oct 1, 2010 1:52 PM

My take: Just the 15% tip is way too much for a meal.

8. WeAreLuckyToHaveMikeFlorio says: Oct 1, 2010 1:52 PM

Roy’s command of the english language is almost as good as his ego. “I ain’t ate in two days im good”
    Well done Mr Williams!

9. Chapnasty. says: Oct 1, 2010 1:53 PM

You guys are slipping. I read this on ESPNDallas 5 hours ago.

10. realitypolice says: Oct 1, 2010 1:54 PM

Why is it unfortunate that members of the Cowboys are circulating their money in the local economy?
    Yes, it’s a terrible idea for rich athletes to spend their money in a down economy. Much better they should hoard it while small businesses, like restaurants, go under every day.
    Nothing stimulates an economy better than rich people NOT spending any money.

11. PriorKnowledge says: Oct 1, 2010 1:57 PM

They stuck it to the rookie. His teammates took advantage of him. Because it was “free,” they took home expensive bottles of wine.
    I think the teammates who did that really are meannie-weannies (can’t say anything worse than that here.)

12. timegambit says: Oct 1, 2010 1:58 PM

“I ain’t ate.”
    Another proud moment for the Texas school system.

13. Goetta-Head says: Oct 1, 2010 1:58 PM

Seeming as most players only get paid that large amount for a couple years on average perhaps they should consider themselves average joes, because over time they make about as much as they do. The problem is that they spend it like its never going to end. Stupid is as stupid does. It is sad that most players do not have any real skills outside of football, and are pushed through universities without being able to communicate properly in the business world. Good luck to ya!

14. Chiefs2010 says: Oct 1, 2010 1:58 PM

the majority of athletes (Especially in the NBA) go broke shortly after their careers end..
    so eat, drink, and be merry while you can.

15. jjared1101 says: Oct 1, 2010 1:59 PM

“The outrageously expensive dinner Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant paid for the other night for his teammates wound up becoming a far bigger story than expected.”
    A Cowboys story got more pub than expected? Nah…
    The people that will soon post on this will prove why..

16. CanadianVikingFan says: Oct 1, 2010 1:59 PM

“I ain’t ate in two days,” Williams said.
    ———————————–
    You ain’t go to dem big fancy college skoolz cuz of ur Inglesh netha.

17. StevieMo says: Oct 1, 2010 2:01 PM

Whereas I ain’t ate since about 7:30 this morning…

18. footballseason! says: Oct 1, 2010 2:02 PM

I ain’t ate in two days!
    How in the world do they get into a college to play football when they can’t even speak properly?!

19. SAL MAGLUDA IS A DOLFAN says: Oct 1, 2010 2:05 PM

LMAO….”I AINT ATE IN TWO DAY’S SO I GOOD” This quote personifies everythign that is wrong with America.

20. HarrisonHits says: Oct 1, 2010 2:05 PM

Doesn’t matter whose “fault” it is. To do something so ostentatious when the economy is still in toilet and unemployment is sky high is not the thing to be part of.

21. karmathaitch says: Oct 1, 2010 2:06 PM

“I ain’t ate in two days,” Williams said. “I’m good.”
    Should of bought him the Hook on Phonics set instead of dinner.

22. Slim Charles says: Oct 1, 2010 2:07 PM

NFL players get paid what the market demands. If you don’t like it, stop watching the NFL or buying the merchandise. If not, shut up about how they spend their money.

23. Slim Charles says: Oct 1, 2010 2:08 PM

gypjet, don’t bring politics into this, you dunce.

24. Kyle says: Oct 1, 2010 2:09 PM

No matter how much money he makes sticking Dez with a 55K bill is going to cause resentment. One of the veterans should have shown some leadership to make certain that their teammate was not completely taken advantage of.

25. burntorangehorn says: Oct 1, 2010 2:09 PM

gypjet says:
    October 1, 2010 1:50 PM
    ===================================
    Liberals? What the heck does this have to do with the sociopolitical spectrum? I seem to remember both liberals and conservatives whining about how investment banks spent their money and automaker CEOs traveled from Detroit to DC. Hawk your fist-shaking harumping somewhere else.

26. CookieFlash says: Oct 1, 2010 2:09 PM

mvlonergan,you forgot strippers,drug dealers,law enforcement and jewelers.

27. BuckyBadger says: Oct 1, 2010 2:09 PM

Their spending is good for the economy but most of these players never see a second contract. I guess I don’t expect a 22 year old kid who just got a huge payday to be totally responsible but the money he put on this dinner could have funded a future generation’s college had it been invested correctly. These young athletes need to understand that this isn’t just an improved life for them but it could give their children and future generations of your kin the advantages only wealthy people have. Their whole life they had to do things the hard way, they can change that for future generations if they don’t spend it.
    Not my money so spend away. Give it back to the hard working folk.

28. Roger Sterling says: Oct 1, 2010 2:11 PM

This guy is really insecure.

29. okieplus4 says: Oct 1, 2010 2:11 PM

30. Reddog says: Oct 1, 2010 2:12 PM

I think De Smith should put this in a press release as to why the players need more cash……
    I don’t care how he spends his money, but the likelihood that he and many other players will have the funds to holdout next year is slim at best and the owners know it. Crush the union owners!

31. Lott42 says: Oct 1, 2010 2:12 PM

Clueless…

32. okieplus4 says: Oct 1, 2010 2:12 PM

someone who says “I ain’t ate in two days” should not be treated to anything of this magnitude..He has one good game as a pro and now he’s god!

33. IndianScalper says: Oct 1, 2010 2:13 PM

” I aint ate”
    Classic line here Roy E! I love how when my Boys are on a bye week, yall writers are just looking for stories to write about. The next story will be about Smiles cutting his grass or some S#$T. Yall crack me up!

34. Meldog says: Oct 1, 2010 2:13 PM

I agree with the other conservative comments. If I was a football player in the NFL, I’d be rightfully pissed to find out that other people think they know a better way for me to spend MY money.

35. JimHa says: Oct 1, 2010 2:15 PM

You aint catch much either, Roy!

36. In & Out Burger says: Oct 1, 2010 2:16 PM

I have no problem how NFL players spend their money, nor do I have a problem with them wanting more money from the owners. My only problem is when ANYONE says we need to do more for these guys in retirement. If they saved just a fractions of the money they earned they would be set for life.

37. Popeye says: Oct 1, 2010 2:18 PM

SAL MAGLUDA IS A DOLFAN says:
    October 1, 2010 2:05 PM
    Great spelling 8==D

38. Other Bears says: Oct 1, 2010 2:19 PM

realitypolice says:
    October 1, 2010 1:54 PM
    Nothing stimulates an economy better than rich people NOT spending any money.
    ————————–
    Thank you! The same people who complain about the trickle-down effect not working are the same people who complain about reckless spending.
    I’m on the liberal side of the fence (socially only — politically, I think EVERYONE is a POS), and if I was that rich, you’d best believe I’d be spending some good money on nice dinners. …and so would you!

39. ttommytom says: Oct 1, 2010 2:19 PM

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr….
    Someone needs to take a class in Economics…

40. _ROCKSTAR_ says: Oct 1, 2010 2:20 PM

F that…
    You make the money you get to spend it any way you damn like!
    It is actually a good they if you have it spend it… it it is good for the economy fools. People haurding there money is a bad thing. Circulate the money people.

41. reginaldlewis says: Oct 1, 2010 2:26 PM

____________________-
    You’re not special, thats why you’re poor. There are over 100 Million people just like you and your overweight wife. Get over it. As least you talk “proper” lol see how far that got you. Get back to work.

42. Hooby says: Oct 1, 2010 2:27 PM

but we still hate him anyway.

43. themage78 says: Oct 1, 2010 2:33 PM

gypjet says:
    October 1, 2010 1:50 PM
    ————————————————-
    Sure it is. You’re the one paying for it. How do you think they are paying his salary? By you buying tickets, merchandise, etc etc. The couple hundred you spend to go to a game pays his salary so he can spend it on lavish meals such as this.
    It’s greed for greed sake. They won’t have football next year and the owners will cry they don’t make enough; The players will cry they don’t make enough. So who will have to pay? Your ignorant self who doesn’t care that the hard earned money he is spending is being thrown away.

44. RIP__21 says: Oct 1, 2010 2:42 PM

Voodoo economics(tricke down) only worked ONE time in history and thats when Regan cut the top rate from 70% down to 28%. Studies have shown that after that period, GDP has not grown due to tax cuts to the top income earners.
    While the wait staff benefited(hopefully) most this sale was transfer of wealth from rich people to rich people(athlete-restaurant owner-winemaker)
    You could repeat this in a hundred different steak houses all across America and most likely would have zero effect on job creation.

45. Rodrigo says: Oct 1, 2010 2:43 PM

I don’t see the big deal. The restaurant and the workers made money and probably helped pay their bills. Its good for the economy.

46. Aaron says: Oct 1, 2010 2:44 PM

The story here is how classless the team was in taking advantage of Dez. It only serves to reinforce the widely held perception of the Cowboys as immature and exemplifies the problem that prevents them from winning a Superbowl. They are a group of individuals, not a team.

47. Sarl says: Oct 1, 2010 2:45 PM

The thought of Uno Uno setting Dez up for a 55K dinner bill is irresponsible and touching on morally reprehensiable. But Uno Uno is not all at fualt. You can blame the other perputrators who walked out with $600 and $900.00 bottles of wine. Williams talked about when he was a rook he split a $10K bill on dinner for the team. What Uno Uno failed to realize is that splitting 10K is 5K apiece–that is 50K less that Dez got stuck with. They really took advantage of Dez. While I am not one to stand in judgement, I know one thing, I agree with former Cowboy coach Jimmy Johnson when he said that he would not have paid it. 55K for a meal for the football player rediculous.

48. cbrianwatkins says: Oct 1, 2010 2:45 PM

gypjet says:
    October 1, 2010 1:50 PM
    ————————————————–
    seriously? politics on a football site?
    very sad bro, very sad
    @ reginaldlewis – hilarious!

49. SF Saints Fan says: Oct 1, 2010 2:46 PM

That dinner works out to about $1000 per person.
    Did every player bring home a bottle of Caymus 2007 Special Selection Cabernet Sauvignon?

50. myeaglescantwin says: Oct 1, 2010 2:47 PM

Pistol
    you cheap prick you. stay home and eat your canned ham you tightwadd.,
    i bet you order soda with no ice & only one without free refills. kill yourself.
    drinkin diet soda doesnt mean youre not a fat piece of shit

51. CHIEF ZEE says: Oct 1, 2010 2:49 PM

Dez Bryant should contact Vick and find out how to get back to form after being out of football for so long…he just looks average out there.

52. packfan4ever says: Oct 1, 2010 2:51 PM

Pistol says:
    October 1, 2010 1:52 PM
    My take: Just the 15% tip is way too much for a meal.
    ———————————————————–
    wow you are a cheap tipper dude, because the going rate is 20%. maybe you live in north dakota though where 10-15% is the going rate.

53. Maximus says: Oct 1, 2010 2:52 PM

Personally, If I was Dez Bryant, I would have told them to stick the 50K.
    OK. The kid blew it and makes a lot but this is just not right.

54. skidoo44 says: Oct 1, 2010 3:02 PM

————————————————-
    You’re a typical Glen-beck-watching moron. Shooting your mouth off with zero evidence to back up your claim.
    I’m so liberal I can’t even vote for the Dems and I have zero problem with him making and spending that much money.
    A. He didn’t exploit ANYONE to get it. Much prefer a young african american male have that money over Jerry Jones.
    B. He’s supporting a small business in a time when most rich people are holding on to their bush tax Savings so their ungreatful spawn never have to work for a living.

55. skidoo44 says: Oct 1, 2010 3:04 PM

————————————————
    Actually it only worked temporarily, or did you for get Bush’s “No new taxes” gaffe?
    He was forced to raise taxes because supply side economics is a temporary fix that only works under IDEAL circumstances, and even then, only for about decade or so (that was in the 80′s the way information moves now, you’re talking even less time now).
    Voodoo economics only delays the inevitable. Cut those taxes and some one, sometime, will have to pay. And its usually the middle class. They just can’t afford the really good lobiests.

56. Texan says: Oct 1, 2010 3:09 PM

Roy Williams. The reason your name ” is associated with this whole ordeal” is because Dez Bryant took the offense out for the traditional dinner while you saw fit to invite the defense and have them run up the tab on Dez.
    Dez got a 1st round draft pick salary, however; it is nowhere as lucrative as the dollars you have been getting while under achieving on the Cowboys team.
    If you want the incident cleared up Roy, how about refunding the money to Dez for what the defense ran up on the bill and then donate the same amount of money to the local food banks to feed the homeless and the poor. It might just get you off the hook with a nation of angry NFL fans who have already grown weary of your underachieving on the field at super star wages.

57. FireJerryJones says: Oct 1, 2010 3:10 PM

Look… it’s simple.
    They threw the invoice up and Dez came down with it.

58. Rodrigo says: Oct 1, 2010 3:15 PM

Greed is good

59. rickah88888 says: Oct 1, 2010 3:23 PM

1-2, what a joke of a franchise!

60. Leto_II says: Oct 1, 2010 3:25 PM

Hopefully, Bryant didn’t take a page out of Decoy Roy’s book and stiff the servers on a 55K bill.

61. gypjet says: Oct 1, 2010 3:30 PM

burntorangehorn, if you are offended by the word ‘liberal’, then I would suggest growing a hide.
    skidoo44, I don’t watch Glenn Beck, so there you go “spouting your mouth off with no evidence”.
    themage78, if you are so liberal, why are you a football fan? Rich, masculine, millionaire, people of color are your enemies. I guess you don’t want all of us Blacks getting all upity and spending our money the way we want to. Go stick to ruining education and keep the hope and change. If “greed” bothers you so much, then stick to your principles and stop watching football.

62. Ron says: Oct 1, 2010 3:43 PM

# Pistol says: October 1, 2010 1:52 PM
    My take: Just the 15% tip is way too much for a meal.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Certain ethnic groups as well as Canadians DON’T TIP

63. Evil Dead says: Oct 1, 2010 3:44 PM

For all of you people that are upset that he spent this much money on dinner…Why? It is 2.3% of his annual income with a max deal and 3.2% of his guaranteed annual income. At the minimum deal, this is like a person that makes $50,000 a year spending $1,760 on a dinner. Extravagant, yes, but I bet that sh** was delicious!
    To put it into perspective, how much did you spend on your wedding? How much did you spend on your kids’ high school graduation parties or sweet 16′s? Haven’t you ever taken your wife to a valentine’s dinner or taken your parents out to somewhere fancy or thrown a anniversary party? We think nothing of these athletes spending $400,000 on a Bentley for themselves but bitch about them spending $55,000 on their co-workers to help build a team environment.
    You gotta be able to appreciate the fact that this kid has worked hard for FREE for the past 21 years, got his first paycheck and wanted to be a little stupid with it. I know when I got my first job I put a sunroof and sound system in my 10 year old Buick regal. THAT’s worse than buying dinner for co-workers.
    If you never did anything stupid with a paycheck when you were young, you really missed out. Money without responsibility was a great time. Glad I grew out of it, but it was great…

64. Duan says: Oct 1, 2010 4:00 PM

whats the difference with Bernie Madoff, Michael Jackson, Bernie Ebbers, any music star, star athlete, CEO, movie star is a payceck away from a bad investment – so i think its kind of shallow to say athletes can be foolish spenders as well!
    more money, more problems

65. carmendmv says: Oct 1, 2010 4:00 PM

I do think it was tasteless to run up the tab like that. And to take bottles of wine to go – sounds like a bunch of classless idiots.
    I could care less about how Dez spends his money.
    I just like to read negative stories (or in this case bs) about the Cowboys.
    I admit it. So what?

66. simple_simon1 says: Oct 1, 2010 4:00 PM

okieplus4:
    “it’s absolutely ridiculous…my wife and i have college degrees, can spell our names correctly, work 50 plus hours a week on different shifts, have a child and we don’t make much more than that annually…stories like this should be kept private…absolute bullshi+”
    I understand your stance on this, but you’ve missed a point. My wife and I are in the same position as you. I have no problem with athletes making as much as they do. Simple reason, because I may have a degree but the revenue created from my career in medical research is nowhere near what the athletes in professional sports bring in. Simple fact is, I don’t have 90,000 plus showing up to watch me do a science experiment every week and I also don’t get endorsements and sell merchandise. If I did then I’d be able to collect money in the same manner as I’d be entitled to a share of the gross amount being made in my name. It doesn’t make the supper right, while people starve in our society, but I have no problem with athletes making huge money. I only hate it when despite the money they make they pretend to have it so bad or cry about new contracts only a year or two into a 5 year contract, hey Revis. Aside from that, I don’t care.

67. iusedtobeteddybayer says: Oct 1, 2010 4:05 PM

I know ione thing: this tab is nobody’s business but the establisment and the person who paid it. For this to become public speaks poorly of, whom I would guess, is the loudmouth at Pappas Bros who gabbed.
    Judy know if you go to this place you, your tab and all other crap could be sent to the media.
    I’m just sayin’…

68. EShine says: Oct 1, 2010 4:05 PM

Roy – didn’t your worthless @ss invite the defense just to stick it to Dez? Everyone except you realizes that you suck, yet you run your mouth like you are a Pro Bowler. You also act like you should be respected even though you have done nothing in your career to deserve it. If anything, you should be spending money on dinners like that just for Jerry Jones, thanking him for overpaying you and keeping you around for another year.

69. Topher says: Oct 1, 2010 4:07 PM

This is exactly the kind of stuff that rich people NEED to spend their money on in a bad economy!
    Thanks, Dez! The service industry in Texas thanks you!

70. The Franchise says: Oct 1, 2010 4:26 PM

“I ain’t ate in two days,” Williams said.
    ——————
    Coming from someone who was just part of a $54,000 meal.
    Unbelieveable.

71. Jackson says: Oct 1, 2010 4:26 PM

Who cares? Roy is a punk & a liar! The Cowboys are now and forever overrated! Professional athletes of this generation are overpaid, drug using, sexually assualting, drunk driving lawbreakers and until fans stop paying outrageous amounts of money for tickets, jerseys & the like..it’s not going to change!

72. RIP__21 says: Oct 1, 2010 4:30 PM

————————————————
    Many would argue that those tax cuts fueled the growth of the 90′s. Hundreds of companies, particuarly, tech(Microsoft, Cisco, IBM), reported that their R&D spending increased dramatically after the Reagan tax cuts. Benefits of increased R&D are not seen until years later; thats why the growth didnt show up until the Clinton era.
    I cant say for sure that the explosive 90′s growth was due to the Reagan era but the premise makes sense.

73. wolfgang1983 says: Oct 1, 2010 4:41 PM

hey spending 50+ K at a restaurant sounds stupid, and it is, but that bill will pay several salaries for workers at the restaurant and will then be in turn put back into the economy by those workers so its not all bad. If they wanna spend 50K on dinners then so be it—that money at least keeps some hard workers employed in these tough times!!

74. NationalFelonLeague.com © says: Oct 1, 2010 4:45 PM

Might as well spend it before the tax cuts expire. It’s not like government does a much better job at spending.

75. sportsdrenched says: Oct 1, 2010 4:47 PM

People are really complaining about this?
    Fer Realz? (for you speech nazi’s)
    There are a lot of things to complain about in this world. An NFL Rookie dropping 55K on a meal isn’t one of them.

76. funi says: Oct 1, 2010 4:54 PM

Dezi can get money from his mentor Dieon Sanders or the his dad to pimp out his mother harder!

77. sacdaddy says: Oct 1, 2010 4:59 PM

damn that’s 1/6 of my salary.. that rich bastard

78. Mrsteve says: Oct 1, 2010 5:18 PM

R0y,
    Match that amount of $ & donate it to the homeless or a food shelter in Dez Bryant’s name.
    Then you will look like a hero instead of the classless piece of shit you look like now.

79. Rockymtnphinfan says: Oct 1, 2010 5:31 PM

Aaron says:
    October 1, 2010 2:44 PM
    Dez was being a little pimp-junior bitch and this is how he got paid back for it. You are a rookie, do the rookie thing. You are NOT special Dez not til you make the HOF son.

80. joetoronto says: Oct 1, 2010 7:38 PM

Ron says: October 1, 2010 3:43 PM
    Certain ethnic groups as well as Canadians DON’T TIP
    *********************************************************
    Ignorance at it’s finest.
    We make more and we tip more, deal with it.

81. TheWizard says: Oct 1, 2010 8:31 PM

It’s not the problem that they spend their money, the problem is in flaunting it.
    And, hazing is for people with little dicks.
    Grow up.

82. dlmcc0909 says: Oct 4, 2010 4:26 PM

Its their money, its their decision how they spend it. This country is heading down a slippery slope with harassing those who are successful. They dont stop and realize that these goons wasting their money is beneficial to the economy. The restaurant they ate at just made enough to cover their rent for a few months easy.
    The waiter and the busboys just made out like bandits. thats extra money those workers can use to help pay their bills and support their families.
    I have no issue with these guys blowing $55k. Its not their fault someone foreclosed on their home, or cant pay their bills etc. Its not their responsibility to care. Their responsibility is to their team, themselves, and their family. That is it. If they are breaking the law, thats one thing. This is still a free country, let them spend their money as they please. they have earned that right

83. rickvaldez says: Oct 4, 2010 9:42 PM

I wouldnt care if the meal was 100k. But you spend for something like this and then have that idiot DeMaurice Smith crying about the players need more money.