Browns get first win of Mike Holmgren era

They nearly blew their lead in the fourth quarter, but the Browns held tough and got a win in 2010′s first Battle of Ohio.

The 23-20 victory ends a three-game losing streak against the Bengals and gets the team their first victory since Mike Holmgren began remaking the organization. Befitting a team that lost fourth quarter leads in all three of their losses, they didn’t make it easy.

The Browns blew much of a 23-10 third quarter lead and let Terrell Owens take them apart to the tune of 10 catches and 222 yards. They also didn’t complete a pass in the game’s final 27 mintues, but they held late with a little help from Chad Ochocinco. Ochocinco was flagged for pass interference on a key third down play that knocked the Bengals out of field goal range with just over five minutes to play. Matt Roth sacked Carson Palmer on the next play and the Bengals had to punt.

Peyton Hillis took care of things from there. He ran six straight times and broke the last one for 24 yards to let the Browns go into the victory formation. Hillis finished with 102 yards, his second straight game north of the century mark, and scored a touchdown in the third quarter. He’s the first Browns running back to score in four straight games since Greg Pruitt in 1975.

The loss not only snapped the Bengals’ winning streak over the Browns, but it stopped their streak against the entire AFC North at eight games.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Browns get first win of Mike Holmgren era”
  1. emmac13 says: Oct 3, 2010 5:01 PM

Super Browns Superbowl

2. Joe C says: Oct 3, 2010 5:36 PM

Well, go ahead and scratch the Bengals from the playoffs. If you can’t find a way to beat the Browns, you have no business being in the postseason. As for the Browns, yes, nice win, but let’s not get too excited. LOL

3. somesome says: Oct 3, 2010 5:37 PM

Palmer is just pathetic.

4. C.Bass says: Oct 3, 2010 5:38 PM

Thank you browns!
    -Steeler fans.

5. NilesBrowns says: Oct 3, 2010 5:38 PM

I’ll take it, but could easily be 4-0….. Gotta tighten some things up and protect the 4th quarter leads they’ve had every week this season so far.

6. axtonian says: Oct 3, 2010 6:36 PM

The run game was good.
    The run D was good.
    The pass D was good enough, barely.
    The pass O was bad, w/o turnover.
    Remember: it’s the bengals…..c’mon

7. HBOilers24 says: Oct 3, 2010 6:37 PM

still have to learn to finish games.

8. DJ84 says: Oct 3, 2010 6:39 PM

Actually Mike Holmgren was hired in early Dec last year and the Browns responded by winning their last four games. Win 5 of the Holmgren era.
    First win with Tom Heckert as GM maybe…

9. DB26 says: Oct 3, 2010 7:06 PM

How about dem Who Dey’s?
    @CBass: You’re Welcome, but we’re gonna bust your ass in 2 weeks! :)

10. C.Bass says: Oct 3, 2010 8:55 PM

DB26
    Steelers are 3-1 with their 4th string QB (including a 38-13 win over TB who the browns lost to)
    Steelers beat Cleveland the last 13 of 14 and 31 of the last 37.
    Congrats on last year’s vicoty in the wind storm. Unfortunately for you out D is healthy and your QBs still suck.
    Oh by the way, how did Homgren think your WR was ok for the NFL season? Masawhat? LOL!
    When you sniff a SB, then you can talk some smack. Until then go back to making fun of Detriot and hating Lebron. Our off-sport hero (Crosby) isn’t going to Miami.

11. Goetta-Head says: Oct 3, 2010 9:08 PM

Defensive Holding on a run play up the middle…really? thats all I got to say
    Penalties are getting ridiculous

12. realitypolice says: Oct 3, 2010 10:48 PM

I take the “browns” to the “super bowl” every morning right after I have my coffee.

13. OLDCRACKER says: Oct 4, 2010 12:07 AM

It was nice to finally get our first win of the season but, Browns fans, lets not get too giddy…it was the Bungles, after all.

14. Evil Dead says: Oct 4, 2010 5:43 AM

realitypolice says:
    October 3, 2010 10:48 PM
    ____________________________________
    HA!!!!! a browns=poop joke where the super bowl=toilet. I get it! Now THAT’s original thinking! People must flock to you and your wit.
    Can we be friends, please? I’m doing Stand up for special needs 4th graders and I need you to help me write some material.

15. ShadyLampz says: Oct 4, 2010 6:46 AM

If our Browns were to lose this game, we would be all over Eric Wright. This guy has been getting torched the past two weeks. TO goes for over 200 yards, and Aquan Bolden gets 4 TDs in one game?! I’m glad we won, but Mangini is a moron for not pulling him out of the starting line up. Haden should be the starter. Period.

16. ShadyLampz says: Oct 4, 2010 6:52 AM

Steelers fan is so obsessed with talking smack to Browns fans that he put’s posts up on every single Browns game of the season. Not just one fan, but NUMEROUS! Seriously? I know your bored out of your minds but seriously get a life over there in Amish country. Go Pirates! =)

17. Bdrunk says: Oct 4, 2010 11:15 AM

Evil Dead says:
    October 4, 2010 5:43 AM
    realitypolice says:
    October 3, 2010 10:48 PM
    —————————
    ———————–
    To make things worse, the joke was stolen from Larry the freakin’ Cable Guy :(

18. ryanmc says: Oct 4, 2010 12:08 PM

Be fair to Chad, his interference that you talked about was the only thing which prevented the pass from being intercepted, which would have been way worse than the penalty.