Garcia, Culpepper could get early release from UFL

With plenty of NFL teams having not enough quality quarterbacks on the roster and with Jeff Garcia and Daunte Culpepper generating plenty of buzz in the UFL, interested NFL teams (if there are any) won’t necessarily have to wait until the UFL season ends before making a play at either player.

Per a UFL source, either guy can be released from his UFL contract at the discretion of the Commissioner, along with a cash payment by the player or the interested NFL team of $150,000.

The bigger question is whether any NFL team could or should be interested in either player.  We’ve polled a trio of high-level team execs.

One said simply, “Nah.”  Another said, “I think it will depend on injuries, but I could certainly see it happening.”  A third source said that “it depends.”

As the third source explained it, “Early in the year, vets who are smart and can function on short notice are valuable.  However, after eight-to-10 weeks I would go with a young, ascending player who’s getting coached every day in our building.”

So it’s possible that, if either Garcia or Culpepper is going to jump, the time to do it could come well before the UFL season ends.

The other question is whether Garcia or Culpepper would be willing to return to the NFL as backups or whether they want to stay in the UFL as players whose exploits few if anyone beyond the stadiums in which the games are played even notices.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
12 Responses to “Garcia, Culpepper could get early release from UFL”
  1. BigBear123 says: Oct 3, 2010 4:42 PM

Mayne event covered Garcia today. Saturday game can’t compete with college ball as you pointed out.

2. LiveNBreatheFootball says: Oct 3, 2010 4:54 PM

I could see it happening. Especially because the price is cheap. The UFL can use the money and the team gets an in game shape QB.

3. garywizard says: Oct 3, 2010 5:19 PM

How can they give Daunte a chance in the NFL? … Then they would all have to admit that they were wrong about his knee and arm … Fact is Daunte is better than 8 out of 10 starting QB’s in the NFL … God forbid he gets a chance with a decent team … I remember Peter King saying that the problem Daunte had was he was playing in “concrete shoes” … I didn’t see any “concrete shoes” on Saturday night with Daunte evading the rush down after down … Maybe Daunte left them home …

4. hookiedaddy says: Oct 3, 2010 5:31 PM

I think Arizona could start either one next week and still be an upgrade over Derek Anderson

5. smithopher says: Oct 3, 2010 5:57 PM

Garcia to Arizona.

6. BigAlHeBDMan says: Oct 3, 2010 5:59 PM

Buffalo could probably benefit from one of them also.

7. Vike Nasty says: Oct 3, 2010 6:25 PM

8. The Ghost of Terry Bradshaw says: Oct 3, 2010 6:27 PM

I’d worry more about the concrete between Daunte’s ears than the concrete in his shoes.

9. C.Bass says: Oct 3, 2010 6:33 PM

I heard USC is interested in Garcia. I know he’s to proud (and stupid) but it would be a pay increase.

10. TheFoo says: Oct 3, 2010 6:38 PM

Yeah Arizona, Buffalo, Carolina, San Francisco….
    At least give your fans something to watch while you try and figure it out.

11. Brewdogg says: Oct 3, 2010 7:01 PM

This makes sense if the UFL is really trying to be a developmental league for the NFL. I would think the next step would be to convince NFL teams to pay the salaries of the players….. Maybe as a right-to-match any offer from another NFL team for the player.

12. tooz56 says: Oct 4, 2010 9:07 AM

“# Vike Nasty says: October 3, 2010 6:25 PM
    By high level execs do you mean a couple random guys around the office. I really doubt that you somehow have all kinds of sources, just when you need them, who only make ambiguous statements.”
    Haha He NAILED it !