Lions running back Jahvid Best has been dealing with turf toe since Week Three, but practiced on Friday and is officially active for Sunday’s game against Green Bay.
Jahvid Best active against the Packers
Lewis has agreed to a new deal and will stay in Jacksonville.
“I’m pumped to be a part of something exciting and be a big part of it,” Lewis told the Florida Times-Union.
The reports about Lewis’s new contract are calling it a “restructuring” and not a “pay cut,” but a pay cut is what it is. Lewis will turn 31 next month, was scheduled to cost $8.2 million against the Jaguars’ salary cap this season, and caught just 18 passes last year. Obviously, the Jaguars wouldn’t have kept him at his previous cap number.
Now Lewis will stick around another year, and although he’s no longer the top tight end in town after the arrival of Julius Thomas, he’ll get a chance to be a part of turning the Jaguars around.
Per multiple sources, Wells still has not complied with specific requests made at the end of the February 20 letter, a copy of which PFT has obtained.
“You have until 5 p.m. EST, Monday, February 23, 2015 to provide us with the requested money and materials, as well as written confirmation of your compliance with the demands set forth in this letter,” the communication from Jordan W. Siev to Wells states. “Absent your full and immediate compliance with these demands, we will take all appropriate actions to enforce our client’s rights, which may include commencing litigation against you to assert claims of conversion, breach of fiduciary duty and fraud, among other claims, seeking a preliminary injunction, and seeking an award of compensatory and punitive damages, and reimbursement of all of our costs and attorneys’ fees resulting from your actions.”
The letter specifically refers to a payment received by Wells on Bryant’s behalf from BioSteel Sports Supplements. Bryant’s representatives contend that Wells kept the money.
It’s unclear at this point whether any legal action will be taken by Bryant against Wells. According to one source, the primary purpose of the letter was to terminate the power of attorney Wells previously held on behalf of Bryant.
Ultimately, Bryant has the right to change agents and advisers, whenever he wants and for whatever reason. Bryant made a comment Friday indicating he realizes his agents and advisers work for him, not the other way around.
“I’m the one making the decisions on who to trust and who to be surrounded by,” Bryant said, via Brandon George of the Dallas Morning News. “I’ve surrounded myself with people who I think deserve to be trusted.”
This implies that Bryant believes Wells and other former representatives/advisors didn’t deserve to be trusted. Which could further alienate Wells, who had been Bryant’s closest confidant and adviser during the early days of his NFL career.
Center Stefen Wisniewski has a new home. Finally.
The free-agent lineman, who spent the first four seasons of his career with the Raiders, has agreed to a one-year deal with the Jaguars, via Adam Schefter of ESPN. The decision came after visits and/or discussions with the Titans, Jaguars, Patriots, Buccaneers, Seahawks, Bears, and Washington.
The short duration of the deal isn’t surprising; at this stage of the free-agency process, the big money is long gone. So he’ll try to have a big year in Jacksonville and hit the market again in 2016.
A Pittsburgh native, Wisniewski played from the moment he arrived as a second-round pick in 2011, with 61 appearances and 61 starts. As a rookie, Wisniewski played left guard; he shifted to center in 2012. Wisniewski became displaced in Oakland when the Raiders signed Rodney Hudson last month.
Former Jets coach Rex Ryan continues to hold Jets tight end Jace Amaro accountable for his contention that the Jets weren’t held accountable in 2014, Ryan’s last one with the team.
“It’s not the truth,” Ryan said Saturday morning on WFAN radio, via Dom Cosentino of NJ.com.
Rex then became more circumspect in his remarks about Amaro: “That kid’s a little . . . he’s going to get . . . we’ll see what happens,” Rex told Kimberly Jones..
“I just know it’s not the truth, and for him or anybody else to pop off like that, I think is absolutely a joke,” Ryan said. “Now, look, if David Harris would have said something, or D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, or someone, I would be hurt by it. I would be absolutely devastated by it. But a kid like that? Nah. I know him, and that doesn’t bother me one bit.”
If it did bother Rex, his comments presumably would be even stronger. If that’s even possible.
“He’s full of sh-t,” Rex recently told Jenny Vrentas of TheMMQB.com, “and I’ll remind him of that when we play him. Look, we weren’t perfect, and I never said we were going to be perfect. But that’s a f–king b.s. comment.”
So, basically, I don’t know whether I’d rather see the Bills face the Patriots on the first Thursday night of the season, or the Bills against the Jets on Sunday night.
Former Georgia running back Todd Gurley appears poised to be the first running back selected in the first round of the draft in three years.
Gurley, who looked like a sure-thing first-round pick before suffering a torn ACL in November, had his surgically reconstructed knee inspected by doctors as part of the NFL’s medical-recheck today in Indianapolis. According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, Gurley’s knee checked out fine and there’s optimism that he’ll be good to go in time for training camp.
That likely means Gurley will go in the first round of the draft, something that we haven’t seen since 2012. In 2013 the first running back selected was Giovani Bernard with the fifth pick in the second round, and in 2014 the first running back selected was Bishop Sankey with the 22nd pick in the second round.
When healthy, Gurley is a powerful runner and kickoff returner with breakaway speed. If NFL teams are convinced he’ll be healthy in time to play a full rookie season, then he should be a high pick.
We noted yesterday that former Arizona State receiver Jaelen Strong would miss Saturday’s medical re-check in Indianapolis, and that he had a visit with the Steelers. As it turned out, Strong’s visit allowed the Steelers’ doctors to give Strong’s injured wrist a thorough check.
Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Strong went through a battery of tests on his wrist during his visit to Pittsburgh. According to Schefter, the Steelers’ doctors cleared Strong and are sending the results of his checkup to other teams.
It’s odd that Strong is getting the re-check from the Steelers’ doctors rather than going through the process that most players recovering from injuries go through in Indianapolis. It’s unclear whether every other team will be satisfied with getting a report from the Steelers’ staff.
Despite a report that Strong would need surgery to repair the broken bone in his wrist, Strong says he played five games through the injury and is fine.
Strong will attend the draft and is viewed as a late-first or early-second-round pick.
When some of the quotes first emerged from Russell Wilson’s interview with HBO’s Bryant Gumbel regarding Wilson playing baseball, it sounded like the musings of an elite, 25-year-old athlete who thinks he can do anything — but who surely would never undermine his football career by playing professional baseball. Based on the full interview, it sounds like a stronger possibility.
After Wilson suggests that he may “push the envelope a little bit” and play football and baseball, Gumbel pounces.
“Let’s be blunt,” Gumbel says in an interview that debuts Tuesday night at 10:00 p.m. ET. “You played minor league ball for a while. Correct me if I’m wrong. Numbers were .227 average, five homers, 26 RBI. If the numbers were better, would you [play baseball and football]?”
“I wouldn’t be worried about the statistics of it,” Wilson replies. “I know I can play in the big leagues. With the work ethic and all that, I think I definitely could for sure. And that’s why the Texas Rangers got my rights. And they want me to play. Jon Daniels, the G.M., wants me to play. We were talking about it the other day.”
The Seahawks G.M., John Schneider, was talking about it the other day, too. And Schneider isn’t ready to assume Wilson would fail.
“I think one of the primary things that really attracted Russell to us — I know me in particular — was the confidence he has in himself and the goals, dreams, aspirations,” Schneider told KIRO radio. “He’s off the charts in terms of his confidence level and the way he views himself, so it doesn’t surprise me that he would think that way. Quite frankly, I haven’t thought much about the baseball aspect of it. Based on the position that he plays in football, I think it would be difficult. But the way he attacks everything, I don’t think you could put anything past him.”
Schneider also declined to say whether the Seahawks would try to stop Wilson from playing baseball. It was smart to sidestep the question, because a football-only ultimatum from N.C. State coach Tom O’Brien sparked Wilson to transfer to Wisconsin.
“I’ll never forget it,” Wilson says. “I’ll never forget the times that people have told me that I couldn’t do something.”
That’s ultimately good news for Schneider and the Seahawks, because Wilson believes the interception at the end of Super Bowl XLIX won’t define him.
“Even if you don’t get back [to the Super Bowl]?” Gumbel says.
“I’ll get back.”
“You’re sure of that.”
“I’ll get back.”
Whether and how often he gets back could depend on how much of the team’s salary cap is devoted to him. That wasn’t a topic that came up in the interview with Gumbel. Soon, it’ll be an issue far more important than his lingering baseball dream and Super Bowl nightmare.
Aldon Smith has had so much off-field trouble during his time with the 49ers that there’s been talk that General Manager Trent Baalke should have just cut him. But not only is Baalke not getting rid of Smith, Baalke says Smith is primed for a big 2015 season.
“He’s got a great look in his eye. He’s doing well,” Baalke told ESPN. “For anybody that’s been in a situation like Aldon’s been in, every day is a process. But he’s doing exceptionally well and he’s probably in as good a shape as he’s been in a long time.”
Smith missed nine games last season because of an NFL suspension, and when he did play he didn’t play particularly well, with just two sacks in seven games — a sharp decline from his 42 sacks in 43 games in his first three seasons. But Baalke said that Smith has had perfect attendance during offseason workouts and is even taking the lead with his teammates.
“[He’s] starting to develop into a leader out there, which is great to see and been a pleasure to watch,” Baalke said.
For the 49ers, who have experienced plenty of losses elsewhere on the roster, a return to form for Smith would go a long way toward getting their defense back on track. Baalke likes Smith’s chances of making it happen.
Few targets move like the one that eventually will trigger the release of the NFL’s regular-season schedule. Originally planned for next Thursday, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the finalists are now Tuesday and Wednesday.
The schedule is and has been ready to go. As another source tells PFT, the league circulates the finished product to some of the more influential owners for “beta testing” before making it officials. It’s unclear whether any of the owners have the juice to force changes to the schedule; some adjustments would require more effort than shuffling a couple of games around. It could be that Commissioner Roger Goodell, whose job partially entails keeping a constituency of 32 as happy as possible, wants some of the key members of the group that determines his terms of employment to feel as if they are involved.
And they should be. It’s ultimately their sport. Besides, a fresh look at the 256-game slate from a self-made billionaire or two (and even from some of the guys who had the billions handed to them at birth) can’t hurt.
Regarding the specific day for releasing the schedule, NFL Network typically has a strong voice in the process. Currently, the word is that NFLN prefers Wednesday.
Either way, the wait for applying the “when” to the “who” and the “where” will end soon.
And it’s not as trivial an exercise as some would suggest. Apart from letting fans make travel plans games the intend to attend or permitting fans to begin anticipating key prime-time and other high-profile games, individual teams will know whether they’ll be facing an array of cream puffs to start the season, a murderer’s row, or something in between. For some franchises, the won-loss record at the end of September could be a major factor in whether the team does or doesn’t get to the postseason.
When the NFL schedule comes out next week, some fans will circle the dates of the Colts-Texans games, when Andre Johnson will face his old team. But Johnson isn’t thinking about that.
Johnson, who signed in Indianapolis last month after 12 seasons in Houston, says he’s not motivated by revenge, anger or any animosity toward the Texans.
“Everybody thinks I went to the Colts to try to get back at the Texans, and stuff like that,” Johnson told ESPN. “That had nothing to do with it. I just went to the best place where I felt that was the best fit for me where I can have the best chance to win a championship. It wasn’t about circling dates or nothing against the Texans. I had 12 great years.”
Johnson’s return to Houston in a Colts uniform may be emotional for him, for his teammates and for fans. But once the ball is kicked off, it’s just another game.
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have plenty of reasons to potentially be concerned about quarterback Jameis Winston. But they continue not to be, in large part because they’ve done their homework on him.
One potential area of concern comes from the possibility that, if discouraged by the difficulty of adjusting to the next level of football, Winston will trade in the pigskin for the horsehide, leaving the NFL and embarking on a baseball career. That’s a possibility the Buccaneers have considered, and they’re confident it won’t happen.
“It always has been my dream, but I’m just playing football right now,” Winston said in February, leaving the door slightly ajar for the possibility of playing baseball and football professionally.
For the Buccaneers, who wasted the first overall pick 29 years ago on a running back who opted for baseball (Bo Jackson), the nightmare scenario would entail Winston deciding that football at the NFL level is much harder than he thought it would be, and opting instead to give baseball a try. For that reason, Tampa Bay’s research on Winston has included getting a frank assessment of his baseball prospects. While a role as a major-league relief pitcher wouldn’t be impossible for Winston, it wouldn’t be automatic, either. In turn, it wouldn’t provide the kind of quick-fix that could tempt a guy to trade NFL football for Major League Baseball.
The Bucs realize that nothing can be completely ruled out, but as they stand poised to make him the first overall pick in the draft, they’re confident that this Bo will know to stick with football.
If it’s draft season, then it’s time for apparel companies to strike deals with some of the top incoming NFL prospects.
According to ESPN’s Darren Rovell, Nike has signed Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston, Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, Georgia running back Todd Gurley, Alabama wide receiver Amari Cooper and Wisconsin running back Melvin Gordon to endorsement contracts.
News of the Nike deal with Winston comes as he faces a civil lawsuit regarding a sexual assault allegation levied by a Florida State student in 2012. Winston was never charged criminally in connection with the allegation.
“Jameis has stated his innocence regarding serious charges made against him. We’ll continue to monitor the situation,” a Nike spokesperson told ESPN.com.
Winston, Mariota, Gurley and Cooper played for schools that sported Nike-branded uniforms. Gordon, meanwhile, wore an Adidas-branded uniform at Wisconsin.
If the Vikings are going to trade Adrian Peterson, the Cowboys won’t be the only team interested.
The Raiders have also shown interest in Peterson, NFL Network reports.
In one important respect, the Raiders actually make more sense than the Cowboys: The Raiders have about $12 million more in cap space available than the Cowboys do. Peterson’s enormous cap hit would be tough for the Cowboys to squeeze in, but it would be doable for the Raiders.
But the Raiders aren’t exactly a team that’s one star player away from a championship, and adding an expensive veteran wouldn’t necessarily make a lot of sense. This move feels like a long shot.
For their part, the Vikings say they expect Peterson to play for them this year. It remains to be seen whether Peterson will try to force his way out, and whether some other team will offer a lucrative deal that makes the Vikings willing to part with their biggest star.
Packers reserve safety Chris Banjo has signed his exclusive rights contract offer from the club, according to the NFL’s Friday transactions.
Banjo, 25, was active for Green Bay’s final three regular season games and both of its postseason games in 2014. He spent most of the season on the practice squad. The previous season, Banjo appeared in every game for the Packers, earning a role on special teams.
The Raiders took linebacker Khalil Mack with the fifth pick in last year’s draft and it looks like they got a cornerstone for their defense to build around in the coming years.
That wasn’t enough to lift them past the fourth pick in this year’s draft, which they may use on a player to help Mack on that side of the ball. Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. and other Raiders coaches travelled to South Carolina on Friday to work out Clemson’s all-time sack leader Vic Beasley.
The team sent linebackers coach Sal Sunseri and defensive line coach Jethro Franklin to the workout as they try to sort out how Beasley would best fit into their 4-3 scheme. Wherever they might line him up, Beasley has the kind of speed off the edge that the Raiders Defense could use as they try to drop to a lower draft position in 2016.
Rapoport adds that the Jaguars have also sent defensive line coach Todd Wash for another look at Beasley, which could leave the Raiders looking in another direction come the end of the month.