Vick calls prison "the best thing that ever happened to me"

As Michael Vick talked to his former Falcons coach Jim Mora about falling from NFL stardom to prison, Mora asked, “What could I have done?”

“There was nothing you could do, Jim,” Vick told Mora in an interview on NFL Network. “The best thing for me, that ever
happened to me up to this point, as crazy as it may sound, was me being
going to stop fighting dogs.”

Vick said that he wouldn’t change his life because, “I was thinking, hey, man, I’m Mike Vick, what’s the worst thing that’s gonna happen to me?”

Vick told Mora he wouldn’t have listened to his coach telling him to change the focus of his life because he wasn’t listening to anyone. Vick says he now thinks his federal prison sentence was God’s work.

change my situation but the man upstairs, who said, ‘Listen, before this
goes any further, I’m going to take all this away from you for a while.’”

Mora asked how Vick misled his coaches and the whole Falcons organization about his off-field activities.

“My whole life was a lie, Jim — everything, A to Z,” Vick said, adding that he went to his dog-fighting facility in Virginia, “Every week — every week. . . . I just told you, my whole life was a lie, Jim.”

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
33 Responses to “Vick calls prison "the best thing that ever happened to me"”
  1. sportsbruh3 says: Oct 3, 2010 11:20 AM

The boy done grown up.

2. heavythumb says: Oct 3, 2010 11:22 AM

Man, his PR people are doing amazing work, aren’t they? He is saying all the right things…
    but I still will never cheer for him.

3. superb owl says: Oct 3, 2010 11:22 AM

well, we’ll see if he means it all.

4. pats307 says: Oct 3, 2010 11:22 AM

amazing interview. Seems like Mike finally gets it.

5. stiller43 says: Oct 3, 2010 11:26 AM

“My mom tried to tell me,” Vick said. “In one ear and out the other. There was nothing nobody could have done to change my situation but the man upstairs, who said, ‘Listen, before this goes any further, I’m going to take all this away from you for a while.’
    …pretty sure the judge took those things away from you, not god…

6. bengal4life07 says: Oct 3, 2010 11:31 AM

I’m proud of this young man. He’s got a great future ahead of him. He is contrite and God has forgiven him.

7. JimmyY says: Oct 3, 2010 11:32 AM

Sad to say but this is all too true and hey, it happens to everyone to some degree or another. All that talent is finally being used in a good way.

8. Robert says: Oct 3, 2010 11:34 AM

Mike, you just got my benefit of the doubt.

9. TheDPR says: Oct 3, 2010 11:37 AM

I wish I had heard the interview. I find it hard to believe those quotes are an accurate representation of Vick’s spoken sentences. The man spent his life barely a step above Chris Johnson in the erudition department and now he’s making coherent nearly-grammatically-correct statements one after the other?
    Child please.
    And don’t blame God because karma bit you in the ass, Mike. Give credit where it is due. You went to prison because of YOU.

10. BigBear123 says: Oct 3, 2010 11:38 AM

What a role model.

11. phildo says: Oct 3, 2010 11:38 AM

white people still won’t accept him. People change, but not racists

12. jasncondit says: Oct 3, 2010 11:41 AM

Replying to:
    stiller43 says:
    October 3, 2010 11:26 AM
    …pretty sure the judge took those things away from you, not god…
    Stiller — actually when a judge takes something away from you it IS God.
    Romans 13:1-7
    1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4For he is God’s servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God’s servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. 6This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

13. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Oct 3, 2010 11:42 AM

He has gone by Ron Mexico. Wonder what he has used recently…

14. BigBear123 says: Oct 3, 2010 11:45 AM

————/
    Still is. NFL embracing him is going to come back and bite them.
    Pushin him off as the new face of the NFL is a joke.
    Convicted felon still on probation, amazing.

15. fishercatt says: Oct 3, 2010 11:46 AM

Seriously? You think he’s telling the truth now? He said all the same stuff while they were digging up tortured dog bodies.
    His going to prison was the best thing for America.
    And he hasn’t grown up. He talks about how he’s grown blah blah blah… did he apologize for running and interstate gambling ring? Nope. I hope God forgives him because I never will.

16. Dryheave says: Oct 3, 2010 11:46 AM

I’ll buy it…..some people have to bottom out before they change…..good for him…..If he screws up again though…….THAT’S IT!……I did some pretty stupid things myself when I was young……. hell, I do stupid things now, I’m on this web site, aren’t I?

17. DCSniksder says: Oct 3, 2010 11:47 AM

@stiller43…… He may have meant it metaphorically? Jerk!

18. heavythumb says: Oct 3, 2010 11:49 AM

prayer: the last refuge of a scoundrel

19. Defiant84 says: Oct 3, 2010 11:50 AM

And who created the judge steller???

20. allthevagiqueensgexcuses says: Oct 3, 2010 11:51 AM

it seems the light has been turned on for MV7. He may have had a little help or extra motivation sitting all those lonely nights in his cell, but hell, it seems to be working. And the Lord said “You Have to Rise Up”
    there will always be hate hounds for MV7 and other athletes that have found themselves on the negative side of the law, but just remember hate hounds, it only fuels them (the ones that make redemption and turn their lives around at least).
    besides, they were only dogs. its not like they had souls. Yeah, I’m specifically talking to you Ray, Leonard and Dante

21. rationalmind says: Oct 3, 2010 11:59 AM

I have to agree with Stiller43, I’m sure an omnipotent being of the religious type would not care about a football game nor would he allow It’s creatures to be sacrificed just to teach some athlete a lesson. Michael Vick is doing what he thinks is right even though he may be using a juvenile reason that more than half the country uses to justify both right and wrong. Amazing that we live in 2010 and still believe in some bronze age myth. But, whatever get’s you through the day and allows you to sleep at night. I wish Vick well.

22. Raiders757 says: Oct 3, 2010 12:06 PM

Vick surrounded himself with very bad people who took advantage of him back then, and still surrounds himself with a few of those very same people. Vick may have changed, but his friends haven’t. They’re still thugs who add to the blight of the Hampton Roads community. If he is going to truly change his ways, he needs to ditch the bad elements he chooses to make a part of his life when he is back home in Va.
    Vick should consider himself lucky as well. Lucky for him he is a black NFL player, because white Italian & Greek men from the North East get ten years for racketeering and funding known illegal gambling rings that deal drugs and commit crimes against their community. Vick got a slap on the wrist, and more than what can be considered a true second chance. He got a cakewalk of a pity parade.
    Sadly the message sent to the kids of Hampton Roads Va. has been negative. They think Vick has proven that you can live the thug life, get caught by “the man”, and get away with very little consequence. He’s considered a hero here, not for what he does on the football field, but instead for the time he spent in prison, and how he sucker “the man”. Despite what most of you might think, the NFL and the authorities set a really bad example with Vick.

23. antneejay2 says: Oct 3, 2010 12:06 PM

@heavythumb
    I know where you’re coming from cuz I’m prone to scepticism myself, but his PR people have nothing to do with it. The words are his, not theirs. I know from my own considerable expeience the difference between lip service and “walking the walk”.
    Why the hell does he even have a PR staff? Seems to me he hasn’t been having much trouble gathering attention. Are you sure about that?

24. marjo says: Oct 3, 2010 12:58 PM

I’ve never been a fan of Vick’s, but, if this is genuine, then good for him.
    He only went to prison for a short period of time, and then got a second chance. Some punks don’t get that second chance or end up 6 feet under.
    Hopefully, he can also turn his experience into a mentoring opportunity for others, including NFL rookies,

25. dsims7_2000 says: Oct 3, 2010 1:04 PM

Get off his jock, it’s over and he is doing good. End of story.

26. Oldschoollady says: Oct 3, 2010 1:19 PM

Vick I am directed to tell you, I know that your PR people, are in fact not guiding your words, and I sense, that, whatever opinion anyone may have is duly noted. I can assure you that, you have as an individual person, a man, and more importantly, as a United Citizens, paid your dues, concerning you mistakes,and, WITH THAT SAID, I say to you, continue on, with what you have to offer, NOW, because I can assure you, that most of, US, regardless of our, race, creed, and or, pigmentation, have our own story, of what, had to HAPPEN TO OPEN OUR OWN EYES, HOWEVER, THEY HAVE NOT SWEEP AROUND THEIR OWN FRONY DOOR.
    Your statement, concerning the fact, that you didnot take “HEED” to the “WISE WORDS” of your “MOTHER”, is for you, a lesson, learned, but please know that you had to go through, as you will continue to go through, and , God will see you through, he is the author of your talents, and he does not make mistakes. Therefore, I leave this or you to know – Continue to love “God”, and, “REPECT THE WISE WORDS and ACTIONS” of your best girl, your – “MOTHER”
    And the rest is “HISTORY” – Now RUN that BALL!!!!!!!!.

27. weezilgirl says: Oct 3, 2010 2:13 PM

MV said “”The best thing for me, that ever happened to me up to this point, as crazy as it may sound, was me being shipped off to [the federal prison in Leavenworth] Kansas. Because other than that, I wasn’t going to change. I wasn’t going to get all the people away from me that was leeches and wanted to be around. I wasn’t going to stop fighting dogs.”
    “Leeches” didn’t get you into trouble. You, Michael Vick, supplied the money and motivation for the gambling and dog fights. YOU! I can only imagine how happy you were to have your leeches at your beck and call. One more thing about the “leeches” as you call them. You better stay away from those people and stay away from nightclubs where people have guns and knives.
    When will MV quit throwing in the “leeches” and man up to what HE did. He has a little speech that he gives to children that includes “people around me who didn’t have my best interest at heart and I almost lost everything”.
    MV, when it comes down to it, you only have yourself and your higher power. I don’t care who your higher power is so I don’t know how that is working for you.
    I do know the things you did before prison and I still haven’t heard or read that you are deeply remorseful for torturing, abusing and killing dogs. When you find the intestinal fortitude to talk about what you REALLY did, I think you’ll grow as a human being.
    Someone mentioned that he doesn’t have a PR team. OH, YES, he does. He has a group that includes his lawyers and, more importantly, the Humane Society of the United States is joined at the hip with him. Thousands of members of the HSUS quit them due to the association with Vick. I quit and I was a member for 25 years.
    Trust me, Vick has someone polishing up his image 24/7. He can’t do it on his own. .

28. weezilgirl says: Oct 3, 2010 2:25 PM

29. drexyl1973 says: Oct 3, 2010 4:24 PM

Wow people are very hard on this young man. No one is above reproach. He did his time, he’s moving forward..LET him without so much bias….jeez

30. kingkenley says: Oct 3, 2010 6:07 PM

it amazes me to still see the HATE people have for mike vick.. HE SERVED his time given to him by the judge. I believe certain people are mad because he just makes more than them even though he’s been to federal prison. Honestly if you hate vick im gonna assume your a racist, because you can’t give me a valid point as to why you hate him?
    think if it was your son/daughter

31. gruntersdad says: Oct 3, 2010 7:57 PM

And now he is hurt. ain’t Karma a wonderful thing?????

32. gruntersdad says: Oct 3, 2010 8:10 PM

I’m not a racist kingkenley. A human being killed defenseless animals. That is my valid point. some moron said it was only animals. Get real. There are laws for the animals because they can’t speak, and they weren’t given the choice. Vick had a choice an chose wrong. He won’t change. He is still on probation and wants to play and will say what he thinks people want to hear. He’s a phony and a thug just like his little brother who decided to kick an opponent lying on the ground. he has his broken ribs so he will spend the rest of his 1 year contract on the bench where he belongs. And I really don’t care what his color is. The only racists are the ones that try to defend his actions and have no other reason to defend him other than he is black. Find a new excuse. Your race card no longer works.

33. TDHawk says: Oct 4, 2010 2:48 PM

I didn’t see the interview but wonder regardless what he’s said to his brother, Markus (SIC?), who many thought was an even better athlete. Markus made an art form out of messing up at Tech even after watching his brother, or maybe because of watching him. I’d love to know whether Mike has sat him down after the younger Vick already wasted his NFL opportunity in grand knuckle headed fashion.