Patriots confirm trade; Belichick "grateful" to have coached Moss

From the day he acquired Randy Moss, Patriots coach Bill Belichick only spoke of his prized wide receiver publicly with the highest of praise.

Wednesday was no different, as Moss became an ex-Patriot and Belichick confirmed Moss’ trade to the Vikings.

“Over the course of the past several months, I have spoken with Randy
and his representative about Randy’s place on our team and his future
in football. Consistent with my dealings with Randy from the day we
acquired him through our conversation this morning, it has been honest,
thoughtful and with great mutual respect,” Belichick said in a statement Wednesday.

There are so many bold things about the Patriots move.  It only makes sense if the team felt Moss was becoming a serious problem behind the scenes.   Still a massive part of the offense, the Patriots may have felt Moss was more replaceable than in the past.  Moss had nine catches for 139 yards in the first four weeks of the season.

“While I will keep private the details of internal conversations with
players and staff, suffice it to say that many things were taken into
consideration before making the trade,” Belichick continued.

“In this business, there are
complex and often difficult decisions, but it is my responsibility to
make them based on what I feel is best for our football team, in both
the short term and long term. I am grateful for the opportunity to have
coached Randy Moss and aside from facing him as an opponent, I wish him
the very best for the remainder of his Hall of Fame career.”

Like Donovan McNabb in Philadelphia last weekend, Moss will get a chance to prove his old boss wrong in person.  The Vikings arrive for a visit in Foxborough on Halloween.

Permalink 47 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
47 Responses to “Patriots confirm trade; Belichick "grateful" to have coached Moss”
  1. Didier says: Oct 6, 2010 12:24 PM

I think Bill’s ego got in the way of his decision-making, but you have to give him credit for some very gracious remarks.
    I’ll also say this, Moss is no choir boy, but almost every one of his former teammates say he is a great teammate and competitor.

2. lurch's nyquil says: Oct 6, 2010 12:24 PM

BB needs to get that smug look slapped off his face and I hope Moss does it. Catch an out Randy and plow right into BB and his bf Tom Beiber.

3. heavythumb says: Oct 6, 2010 12:24 PM

Only Belichick could find a way to make this whole story boring.
    Welcome back, #84!!

4. geaux says: Oct 6, 2010 12:26 PM

Any truth to rumor of Steve Smith (Carolina) trade to NE?

5. iampats says: Oct 6, 2010 12:28 PM

I don’t think this is a matter of proving your boss wrong since Randy unlike DMcD was very vocal about wanting another contract and not getting it in NE.
    Personally, I would have loved to see Randy extend his contract here another two years but it was not meant to be.
    Whatever the reason he had to be dealt, I have nothing but great memories of Randy Moss in New England, especially the 2007 season.

6. Wipackman says: Oct 6, 2010 12:29 PM

You have to tip your hat to a team that is always looking to get to the big game by using all available resources. I hate Favre and the Vikings but the team is thinking Super Bowl, and while they will NEVER get there and win it, you have to give them credit for trying.
    Someone PLEASE wake up Ted Thompson !!!!

7. Igottz5onit says: Oct 6, 2010 12:29 PM

Wow belichick sure acts classy.

8. Craig S says: Oct 6, 2010 12:29 PM

Please. Good lord. Talk about ANYTHING but Randy Moss.

9. cloudnine says: Oct 6, 2010 12:31 PM

Does Moss report without an extension? Remember he now plays 17 games as Minnesota had its bye. More cause to sit out a game?

10. LuvThatDirtyWatah says: Oct 6, 2010 12:32 PM

Like Donovan McNabb in Philadelphia last weekend, Moss will get a chance to prove his old boss wrong in person. The Vikings arrive for a visit in Foxborough on Halloween.
    Totally bogus statement. Where are the similarities? Ok, they both got traded. Wow!!! You’re writing once again is deep and profound Gregg. Not.
    Moss asked to be traded. Donovan did not.
    Donovan was traded within the division. Moss was traded outside the conference.
    Donovan was traded b/c he was being replaced. Not that case with Moss.

11. roboninja says: Oct 6, 2010 12:35 PM

Brett Favre & Randy Moss versus Tom Bundchen? Should be great ratings.

12. Fantasia says: Oct 6, 2010 12:35 PM

As a Steelers fan, I can admire the New England Patriots and how the run their operation/organization. They know when to get rid of players and when to bring players in at the right time. The Pats may not go all the way this year. But, they have looming draft picks and are going to really start loading up in the next couple of seasons.

13. rusH1023 says: Oct 6, 2010 12:36 PM

Well, Belichick has said on infinite occasions that Moss is the best there is. I’m not sure Moss will get to “prove his old boss wrong” in beating the Patriots later in the season. It wouldn’t really prove anything, except that Belichick knew what he had, and that he had to make a tough decision?
    Either way, I’ll miss me some Randy Moss.

14. JMoney says: Oct 6, 2010 12:36 PM

That is sick. Trade in Moss for Vincent Jackson. How does this guy pull this crap off. 2 #1’s 2#2’s and 2#3’s I think they have enough picks to trade.
    He will be much more grateful to coach vince for the rest of his and Brady’s years.

15. frobaggins says: Oct 6, 2010 12:38 PM

i get the moss coming back to play NE and he’ll want to “prove his old boss wrong”, but obviously i don’t think its on the mcnabb-philly trade level. yeah if a coach trades a player, it certainly means they don’t see him producing for the team, but i think this isn’t that black and white. if what you were reporting about the moss being a distraction is true, belichicks hand was forced to make this deal in a sense. i seriously doubt belichick thought that moss was not gonna be productive for him from an on the field point of view. i get that its gonna be a big deal in the media for moss to come back and haunt the pats (on halloween, my bad on the cheap cliche), but if anything, i think belichick and the pats are in the “mcnabb role” as he is the one who will be out to show moss that he should have sucked it up and played the season out on a winning team

16. brady12 says: Oct 6, 2010 12:38 PM

Although he does nothing but praise other teams and players….cue the Bill haters.

17. Bannedforlife says: Oct 6, 2010 12:39 PM

As a Pats fan,I loved watching Moss.As a NFL fan I will still love watching him play.

18. Kavorka says: Oct 6, 2010 12:42 PM

Here we go again. Saw the Brett Favre police escort last time because I am right next to the airport. Anybody tracking Wilf’s private jet? The St. Paul airport is probably still underwater from the floods so probably landing at Flying Cloud if the jet is indeed dispatched. Don’t get me wrong – I like the move. Snarling traffic around here with eccentric fans is what I don’t like.

19. PFTiswhatitis says: Oct 6, 2010 12:43 PM

NE gave up a 7th as well. Seems Moss pushed his way ou tof town.

20. RIP__21 says: Oct 6, 2010 12:44 PM

“In this business, there are complex and often difficult decisions…”
    Thats code for the cheap ass front office wouldnt pay so we shipped one of the best receivers ever to Minny for a whooping 3rd rounder.

21. sasquash69 says: Oct 6, 2010 12:48 PM

The Patriots will win the SB now. They got rid of the overrated LOSER. That sucks for Viking fans. No team will ever win a SB with Randy Moss.

22. quadya says: Oct 6, 2010 12:48 PM

“While I will keep private the details of internal conversations with players and staff, suffice it to say that many things were taken into consideration before making the trade,”
    Tom Brady said we don’t need him.

23. Dawn says: Oct 6, 2010 12:51 PM

—————————————–
    There’s nothing to be proven wrong. Belichick never said Moss wasn’t an impact receiver, that his contribution was sub-par or that his performance had gone down.

24. Ilovefoolsball says: Oct 6, 2010 12:52 PM

This still won’t be enough to save that miserable franchise with the worst fan base in all of pro sports.

25. sbhntr says: Oct 6, 2010 12:54 PM

Somewhere in New Jersey, Sexy Rexy sez:
    “Time for an F’n SNACK!!!!”

26. GO BILLS says: Oct 6, 2010 12:55 PM

knowing the patriots they probably got at least a 2nd round pick. Yeah he only had 9 catches but 3 of them were for TDs. The Patriots just gave away a big part of their offense. I hope you crash and burn Belichick

27. ohgoodie says: Oct 6, 2010 12:57 PM

Belichick has said all along that Moss was the smartest (and greatest) WR he’s ever coached. I think the respect works both ways…..cash always wins out though.

28. Gautam says: Oct 6, 2010 12:58 PM

the NFL’s Halloween schedule includes
    Packers-Jets
    Vikings-Pats
    Steelers-Saints
    best football halloween ever ?

29. SteelTown-6 says: Oct 6, 2010 1:01 PM

# Craig S says: October 6, 2010 12:29 PM
    “Please. Good lord. Talk about ANYTHING but Randy Moss.”
    Yeah.
    More Brett Favre stories.

30. Mosi says: Oct 6, 2010 1:04 PM

As a Pats fan, I’m terrified… frickin’ mortified… thinking about what is going to happen up in that Dome in week 8. I can only hope that Chilly finds a way to screw it up.
    BB was classy and did the right thing for the team long term, no doubt. Short term… eh… maybe not so good.

31. thomasreilly says: Oct 6, 2010 1:12 PM

Moss is a great player, but one could look back and recognize that the team’s offense changed during his time in NE. Too dependent on the pass, too focused on Moss and Welker, not enough spreading around of the ball. To much emphasis on “me” (cue the week one contract rant after a win). The Pats have several offensive targets- Welker, Tate, Crumpler, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Woodhead, Edelman, Morris, and Taylor. The offense will be fine.
    My guess? Belichick enjoyed the team win on Monday, and it reminded him of the 2001 team coming together. Moss would only interfere with the development of the team first approach. He is a great player, just not a Patriot type of player.

32. Bronco4life says: Oct 6, 2010 1:13 PM

And so it begins.
    An insane amount of high draft picks for what will be a very deep draft in April.
    One more major Lombardi Trophy run for the Pats, Bill, and Brady. (But I don’t mean a run at one more Super Bowl win, I mean a few more potential Super Bowl victories.)

33. PackAttack says: Oct 6, 2010 1:18 PM

Doesn’t New England have the Raiders’ first round pick in 2011 because of the Richard Seymour trade? I think this is a smart move by Belichick. He trades Moss before any evidence of decline during the remainder of the season after realizing that Oakland is still a mess and his 1st round pick from Raiders will more than likely be top 10, perhaps top 5. And honestly, with the return of Welker and emergence of Aaron Hernandez, how much of a factor has Moss been through the first four games (especially the wins)?

34. bobby the brain heenan says: Oct 6, 2010 1:33 PM

Mosi says:
    October 6, 2010 1:04 PM
    uhhh…big pats fan eh? you do know they arent playing in a dome this year right?

35. cornflorio says: Oct 6, 2010 1:34 PM

As much as I hate Belichick. No coach neutralizes potential controversy better. Him, Tomlin, Fisher and probably even Todd Haley, they don’t ever feel they have to explain anything to anybody. The AFC is the better division in almost every facet. And this is coming from a diehard Cowboys fan.

36. Mosi says: Oct 6, 2010 1:36 PM

@ thomasreilly … yes, although it stings, gotta love the team first approach. Really liking this team.
    @Bronco4life … I hope you are right. Pats are stacked with picks. I’m okay with them giving one or two of the lower ones up for some DL or WR help this year, though.

37. Wizahdry says: Oct 6, 2010 1:50 PM

I think they knew Moss had to go after he said that stuff in week 1 after the Bengals win. It was a huge win and all this guy could do is talk about his contract. The Vikes are gonna get a quick reminder why they traded him in the first place.

38. Gautam says: Oct 6, 2010 2:18 PM

ok won’t the Pats get screwed really bad if there is no football in 2011 & no draft due to the lockout ?

39. FireJerryJones says: Oct 6, 2010 2:25 PM

Wonder if he single covers him or double teams the guy.
    One thing about Moss.
    He wins the games against his old teams.

40. JP says: Oct 6, 2010 2:47 PM

Pats picks in the first 4 rounds this upcoming draft:
    Two 1st rounders, their own and Oakland’s (who is 1-3 currently).
    Two 2nd rounders, their own and Carolina’s (who is 0-4 currently).
    Two third rounders, their own and Minnesota’s (who is 1-2 currently).
    Two fourth rounders, their own and…hmm…I forget.
    They are absolutely LOADED. Scary loaded.

41. Arizona Buckeye says: Oct 6, 2010 2:52 PM

Wow – Patriot’s offense isn’t good enough to score enough points to win without Moss. This was a very bad trade. Don’t forget that Moss garners double and triple coverage and draws players away so that other receivers can get open. Without Moss, all other receivers are going to get blanketed. Their offense will struggle mightily and I don’t think their defense has the guns to stop other teams from scoring enough to make up for the drop in offensive production. Going to be a long season in NE

42. ZombiePatriot says: Oct 6, 2010 2:52 PM

“On a side note, Randy Moss is the most dynamic receiver in the history of the NFL. Of course, everyone will argue Jerry Rice but Moss didn’t have Manning/Brady throwing to him for the peak of his career like Rice had Montana and Young. This man is a freak. 4.2 speed. 6′ 4 frame and hands like baseball gloves. Had he been lucky enough to catch balls from all time greats his whole career, who knows what he could’ve done. ”
    ———————————————-
    You can point to who Rice had as quarterbacks in his career but really the big difference between Moss and Rice is one is a whiny malcontent and the other is a professional.
    You never saw Rice quit on the field, he always went for the ball and he always played hard… right until the end. In the case of Moss he needs to be babysat and have his fragile ego stroked if things don’t go his way.
    As a Patriots fan I was glad to have him around but I can’t say I was sad when I saw the trade news. In fact, I was quite happy because it no longer means Brady has to force the ball periodically to a receiver who may or may not try to catch it based on which way the wind is blowing that day.
    Growing up I hated the 49ers but I respected them. It was a treat to see Rice play the game and it is sad to even compare him to Moss.
    I would argue in a case like Moss entry into the hall should not be soley based on a player’s on field production. If you quit on your team multiple times in your career maybe you are not hall of fame material.

43. fmax4 says: Oct 6, 2010 3:02 PM

With no deep threat, will Welker still be able to exploit the middle of the field?

44. righthereisay says: Oct 6, 2010 3:18 PM

If I was a Patriot fan (which I am definitely not), I would be pretty p-o’d about this. They basically are throwing this year away. I know Randy’s stats are mediocre as of now, but he still looks very good and is still top 10. Losing a #1 receiver for a 3rd round draft pick is basically giving up on this year. They will not be better in playoffs without him, and we all know they will be in the playoffs unless Tom gets injured. This will be very tough to overcome.
    As someone who hates the Patriots and believes they are Satan on the field, I am happy.

45. Dragonfly9 says: Oct 6, 2010 3:32 PM

The Patriots blew it. The Vikings were DESPERATE. Their golden boyBrett was not happy. They could have easily gotten a second round pick or another late round pick in addition to the third round pick. I understand Moss was becoming a distraction but he still is a playmaker. The Patriots panicked and unloaded him for too little. They will regret this when they face him in a couple of weeks.

46. Bronco4life says: Oct 6, 2010 4:56 PM

@Mosi: I hope I am wrong but I don’t think I am. I’m not saying this is a wasted year and obviously no team is dominant right now, but a SB run this year was unlikely with or without Moss. The Steelers will be (and my prediction is they will win the SB if health permits). The Jets and Ravens still have to worry about their QBs. Saints won’t repeat.
    Colts are obviously a threat at any time. I know the Pats hate the Colts and Manning, and nobody has been burned more by Peyton than the Broncos (circa 2002-05ish), but Peyton transcends the sport and can keep his team in a game without a defense, running game, or weapons at receiver.
    At least you don’t have to worry about a playoff appearance’s effect on your draft picks.
    Next year’s draft is deep. We’ve seen how rookies have more and more impact on their teams and it will not be a 2-year plan as usual to get them in motion. A lot of the guys likely coming out will make a difference immediately.
    @ZombiePatriot: You are right about his lack of professionalism. But I said most dynamic not that he was the greatest receiver (based on production) of all time. And yes, quitting on his team should not help his chances at the HoF, but no question this guy is just as fun to watch when he dominates. His first stint with the Vikings and the ’07 team were both evidence of that. Had you not had a high school QB in ’08 he would’ve done it again.
    I’m first a fan of the Broncos, but as most fans, I love to watch talent. Brady and Peyton have poise and touch unlike most QBs in the history of the NFL. Marshall, Andre Johnson, Fitz, and Moss are each unique in their ability to make big plays. AP and CJ are unreal in their own ways. Patrick Willis, Ray Lewis, etc. These are people we will remember like Elway, Montana, Rice, Jim Brown, Walter Payton, etc.
    But you are right, the greats were competetive like Michael Jordan, not selfish like Floyd Mayweather, TO… I guess thats why it all comes down to stats and rings.
    @any Pats fans: Purely wondering, do you think Moss didn’t try in the Super Bowl?

47. GB3Pack4 says: Oct 6, 2010 7:30 PM

BB always seems to come out with graceful comments in these sticky situations.