Kevin Curtis eyes comeback after brief cancer battle

Not long ago, Kevin Curtis was a high-end NFL receiver.  A free-agency tug-o-war between the Vikings and the Eagles resulted in Curtis choosing Philadelphia after four seasons with the Rams.

In his first year as an Eagle, Curtis soared to 77 catches for 1,110 yards and six scores.  Injuries derailed him in 2008 and 2009, and the Eagles cut him in March.

According to Doug Robinson of the Deseret News (via Sheil Kapadia of philly.com), Curtis had surgery on September 23 to remove a cancerous testicle.  But he says that the prognosis is positive.

“Everything looks good,” Curtis said.  “They caught it early, and there is no sign that it has spread.  I’m pretty fortunate, really.”

As it turns out, the slow-growing mass was first spotted during a routine physical when he visited the Vikings in 2007.  “The doctor brought it to my attention,” Curtis said.  “I hadn’t noticed
it.  I waited a year till I went to a urologist.  He wasn’t too concerned.
Every six months I underwent an exam and ultrasound.  They were saying
it’s nothing until this summer.  The ultrasound revealed there was a big
difference.  It had grown.”

Curtis has opted to forgo radiation treatments, choosing instead quarterly monitoring, since he wants to return to the NFL this year.  He plans to return to “intense training” in a couple weeks, and his agent will be sending a letter to all teams regarding his situation.

We wish Kevin well.  The fact that he’d pass on radiation shows that he still loves football, and if he can still play like he did three years ago, someone will be getting a steal.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, St. Louis Rams
21 Responses to “Kevin Curtis eyes comeback after brief cancer battle”
  1. ppdoc13 says: Oct 7, 2010 2:55 PM

If he had a seminoma which is the most common testicular tumor he would be making a big mistake not to have the radiation. Since you can’t give us his pathology, all of this is surmise, but if he admitted that it was a cancer the number 1 culprit is seminoma.
    good news is that with radiation for low stage tumors the cure rate is over 96%

2. Bring It Home For Jerome says: Oct 7, 2010 3:07 PM

He was injured a lot, but he was a quality receiver who never had any public “me” moments in Philadelphia (that I can remember). I hope he has a speedy recovery!

3. LighTsouT says: Oct 7, 2010 3:13 PM

This kid is one of the best kids to ever play the game. Gave up a couple years of pro football at the beginning of his career to go to a Christian thing to spread Christianity in Africa. He then came back and joined the Rams squad and was a major player to their success (notice, no Curtis/Shaun McDonald = down years). I wish kid the best because he’s too good a guy to have his career end so early.

4. Maddog says: Oct 7, 2010 3:19 PM

High end receiver? Seriously?

5. GO_EAGLEZ says: Oct 7, 2010 3:27 PM

He wasn’t High end but he was decent… as an eagle fan i would have like to seen him say but he would have behind Djax, Jmac, Avant…
    Wish him the best..
    unless he goes to the cowboys, skins or gmen then i want him to burn ha!

6. 12+81=7 says: Oct 7, 2010 3:37 PM

Good story, but kind of a misleading title. When I first read this I thought that he lost his sight or something and that he had had his eyes restored.

7. Dapollock says: Oct 7, 2010 3:38 PM

If he ever comes back to the NFL, scrap the play where the WR takes a reverse then plows into the line – particularly against Cleveland. He might lose the other one.

8. BenRapistberger says: Oct 7, 2010 3:42 PM

I wonder how his balance is now.
    Always liked this guy, good to see he’s looking to make a comeback.

9. dipatatty says: Oct 7, 2010 3:59 PM

I’m a long time Rams fan who has been through some thick, but alot of thin. When he played for the Rams, I thought that Kevin was a great player and a terrific human being. I wish him nothing but the best and I will keep him in my prayers. I hope that he has a full recovery and that he has a successful comeback. I would love to see him back on the Rams.

10. Terrell Blowens says: Oct 7, 2010 3:59 PM

I loved Kevin Curtis until he dropped that pass in the NFC Championship Game. I still think he can succeed in the NFL. Injuries really bogged him down.

11. godofwine says: Oct 7, 2010 4:09 PM

Who is going to sign him? He can’t even keep from dropping the balls he has…
    Just kidding. I wish the guy well, couldn’t resist the joke.

12. buddha says: Oct 7, 2010 4:21 PM

I wish Curtis a speedy recovery. I think he’d be a pretty good slot WR. Maybe MIN or ARI.

13. Heywood Jablowme says: Oct 7, 2010 4:26 PM

If Kevin Curtis was tackled by Shaun Smith then he would have noticed it sooner.
    Hoping for a speedy recovery Kevin. You’re a class act.

14. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: Oct 7, 2010 4:29 PM

# ppdoc13 says: October 7, 2010 2:55 PM
    good news is that with radiation for low stage tumors the cure rate is over 96%
    —————
    Not sure where you’re getting your information, but as a testicular cancer survivor myself and being treated by the doctor who came up with the cure for non-seminoma, I never once heard in all of my research that seminoma was more common.
    My guess is that he decided to forgo adjuvant (preventative) chemo and follow a strict surveillance routine for a non-seminoma. Chemo or no chemo, he shouldn’t be limited in any way shape or form. Especially if he doesn’t have to build his strength and stamina back up from chemo.

15. harloeisdead says: Oct 7, 2010 4:41 PM

Cancer jokes, no matter where the cancer may be, are officially not funny. At all.

16. Hooby says: Oct 7, 2010 5:18 PM

i know the feeling, i was told i had a malignant tumor in my lefty. only after a mid surgery biopsy did they find it was benign. still hurt like a bitch to get my ball sliced into though. good for him if he can make a legit comeback….but hey if wes welker can come back, so can curtis.

17. Jose says: Oct 7, 2010 5:19 PM

Wow, that’s nuts. I had no idea he was out w/ cancer.

18. Tjackfan says: Oct 7, 2010 5:39 PM

@Jose
    Wow, “that’s nuts”? C’mon Man!

19. stetai says: Oct 7, 2010 5:51 PM

“As it turns out, the slow-growing mass was first spotted during a routine physical when he visited the Vikings in 2007. “The doctor brought it to my attention,” Curtis said. “I hadn’t noticed it.
    I wonder how that conversation went …
    Dr. Viking: My your balls are extra big today.
    Curtis: Oh, yeah? whatever … Are you voting for Hillary or Guliani?

20. UtChief says: Oct 7, 2010 5:54 PM

Just FYI – In the article in the D-News it says “Heading into the surgery, doctors couldn’t be certain the testicle was cancerous because they are unable to do a biopsy in this area of the body. But he learned last week that he has seminoma, which is considered one of the most treatable and curable cancers.”

21. ppdoc13 says: Oct 7, 2010 7:38 PM

@ whatthehellisgoingonouthere – seminoma as a primary testicular tumor far exceeds non seminomatous germ cell tumors. look in any urology text. direct quote from Campbells urology 7th ed p 2424 -: Seminoma is the most common histologic testis tumor in adults and accounts for approximately 60 – 65% of all germ cell tumors of the testis”
    i highly doubt that your doctor came up with the cure for non seminoma. the treatment for testicular cancer has been evolving for almost 30 years with multimodal therapy between surgery, radiation, and chemo depending upon primary tumor type.
    btw – it states in the blog that he decided to forego radiation. that implies that the guy had a low stage seminoma as radiation is the primary treatment modality for this problem.
    i’m not sure where you got your information, but in this case it is not factually correct.