Mike Sims-Walker is getting upset, because his fantasy owners have gotten upset

A year ago, Jags receiver Mike Sims-Walker was an up-and-coming wideout.  This year, Sims-Walker is regarded as a guy who has arrived as a second-tier elite performer — and as a result he’s upset that he’s not getting enough opportunities to prove that he should stay there.

In two games (both wins), Sims-Walker had zero receptions.

“You always want to be involved in the offense, especially when you think
of yourself as a No. 1 receiver in this league,” Sims-Walker said
Wednesday, per the Associated Press. “You work hard at it to be that guy and you go out there and
you really don’t get the opportunity to show it.”

Though he’s trying to brush if off, he realizes that receivers primarily do one thing — receive.

“I’ve never been a negative guy to try to make a fuss about it,”
Sims-Walker said.  “I’m not going to sit around and cry or anything.
But I’m a receiver and I catch the ball.  This is a production-based
business, and not even getting targeted is frustrating.

“I know I can play.  I know I get open.  I know I can catch the ball
pretty good and make plays.  I’d like to be more involved, but I don’t
make the play calls around here and I don’t make the decisions to throw
the ball. It’s kind of like it’s out of my control.  I’ve just got to
roll with the punches for right now.”

If “rolling with the punches” means “complaining extensively about it,” then that’s indeed what he’s doing.

“If it don’t get to you, you don’t love what you’re doing,” Sims-Walker
said.  “It’s going to get to you no matter who you are.  Even if I was the
No. 3 receiver and I didn’t get a target, I’d still be mad.  You do all
that work and you don’t get rewarded. But we’re winning, so I can’t
really say much.  I’ve just got to live with it I guess.”

Coach Jack Del Rio indirectly put some of the blame on quarterback David Garrard by pointing out that, against the Colts, Sims-Walker was open on several occasions but the ball wasn’t delivered to him.  For his part, Garrard says that he’s not going to “force” the ball to Sims-Walker.

Perhaps the most bizarre aspect of this story is that Sims-Walker’s frustrations apparently have been stoked by fan interactions on Twitter.  People who “own” him on their fantasy teams aren’t happy with his performance.

“That’s the worst part of it,” Sims-Walker said.  “I’ve never seen this
many bitter people in my life. They’re calling me everything in the
book:  ‘I’m benching you, you’re this, you’re that, you’re trash.’  It
kind of hurts a little bit.”

Thicken your skin, Mike.  Or, better yet, say ta-ta to Twitter until the season is over.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
16 Responses to “Mike Sims-Walker is getting upset, because his fantasy owners have gotten upset”
  1. TheDPR says: Oct 7, 2010 7:23 AM

I guess coaches can’t ban twitter but they could make it a lot tougher on the guys who tweet. I think if I was a coach that’s what I’d do.

2. shaggeez says: Oct 7, 2010 7:42 AM

“That’s the worst part of it,” Sims-Walker said. “I’ve never seen this many bitter people in my life. They’re calling me everything in the book: ‘I’m benching you, you’re this, you’re that, you’re trash.’ It kind of hurts a little bit.”
    this guy has a lot of talent, but for this to be the ‘worst part of it’ for him, that his fantasy owners are benching him has got to be one of the funnier things i’ve seen in reaction to not getting enough touches. poor guy is going to be really crushed when he is not drafted at all next season if he is still on the jags

3. The Ghost of Terry Bradshaw says: Oct 7, 2010 8:05 AM

I’m trading for him now, I had no idea he cared this much about his fantasy owners.

4. jcjets says: Oct 7, 2010 8:19 AM

Dis he really say this crap this week? I guess beating the colts isn’t enough for this guy?

5. Love_Boat_Scandal says: Oct 7, 2010 8:23 AM

Who in their right mind would have Mike Sims-Walker on their fantasy team?

6. Heywood Jablowme says: Oct 7, 2010 8:36 AM

Next up: the Bills.
    Time for Sims-Walker-Partridge-Flanders-Smithers to rack up some stats.

7. contract says: Oct 7, 2010 9:20 AM

Someone needs to introduce this cat to Twitter apps that allow you to filter tweets by keyword.

8. mfclock says: Oct 7, 2010 9:32 AM

Um, this sounds like sarcasm to me..

9. FinFan68 says: Oct 7, 2010 9:39 AM

These guys really do not get it. They are a part of a team and the team goal is to win. The offense is not designed to showcase a particular player, especially a receiver.
    “You do all that work and you don’t get rewarded.”
    You were rewarded…your team won an exciting game with an historic field goal against one of the better teams in the league. His comments are typical of the self-entitled athlete that thinks of himself rather than the team. If i was the coach I would bench him for a game. Fantasy football should never be consideration for any coach or player. It is ridiculous to think otherwise.

10. GoJags436 says: Oct 7, 2010 10:11 AM

Don’t worry, Mike. Next April, the Jags are gonna draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round & then you can start working with a QB that is willing to throw downfield.

11. TheDPR says: Oct 7, 2010 10:17 AM

That he thinks fantasy owners tweet-bashing him is “the worst part of it” tells me he’s not a very smart man.

12. Joemamma says: Oct 7, 2010 10:45 AM

I dumped him for Torain, just made sense:)

13. Devoe1129 says: Oct 7, 2010 10:57 AM

Are you talking to yourself at this moment?

14. JustJohn says: Oct 7, 2010 11:00 AM

I think Florio and the people leaving comments are taking what Sims-Walker said out of context a bit. I don’t think if he has one interview discussing frustration about not getting the ball means he’s “complaining extensively”. I also don’t think he’s so concerned that he’s not doing well in the fantasy sports world so much as he is that people are saying “hey, you’re not putting up big numbers; you suck”. I agree with mfclock, it sounded more like sarcasm to me.
    Does he need to get thicker skin? Yes, but he’s like every other athlete – a competitor who wants the ball. At least he’s not shouting in his coaches faces everyday until they can’t stand him anymore and are forced to trade him.

15. Forevercorr says: Oct 7, 2010 11:07 AM

I dumped him for Braylon Edwards this week. Still love the guy, but his situation is bad. It would take too many weeks for me to see proof that he’s worth starting consistently, and I think a lot of fantasy owners agree.
    Yes, fantasy football may seem minor to those who don’t play it, but it is giving teams like the Jags (who aren’t classically know for their home fans) attention in ways they wouldn’t get otherwise. There is a reason people know who Mike Sims-Walker is, and why the coaches and owners let MJD do his fantasy radio program… it helps the Jags stay on a larger radar, and they need that. That, and a better QB. And an improved O-line.

16. jj jones says: Oct 7, 2010 11:12 AM

It’s sad how many people care more about fantasy football than real football.