Todd Collins will start for the Bears Sunday

The beating Jay Cutler took last Sunday night will cost him a start.

The Bears announced on Thursday that Todd Collins will start for Chicago Sunday against the Panthers.  It will be Collins’ first start since the 2007 season, back when he was 36 years old.

It’s also the first start Cutler has missed since taking over for Jake Plummer in Denver back in 2006, ending a 57-game streak.  (He played through undiagnosed diabetes in 2007.)  That underscores how serious Cutler’s concussion was.  He took part of a portion of practice Wednesday, so the news is a bit of a surprise.

This is your chance, 0-4 Panthers.  Don’t blow it.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Todd Collins will start for the Bears Sunday”
  1. DJ Lance Rock says: Oct 7, 2010 1:05 PM

This guy is horrible.
    He’s not mobile at all and with the Bear’s offensive line, I’d be surprised if he makes it through the game without a concussion of his own.

2. DanSnyder says: Oct 7, 2010 1:09 PM

Todd Collins will run that offense more efficiently then cutler has and will cause a qb controversy. He’s very quick at making decisions, has good accuracy, and will get rid of the ball quickly.
    He just doesn’t have a huge arm nor is he very mobile. He has great touch on his passes but I am making these judgements from when Campbell went down and he took over a few years ago.

3. realitypolice says: Oct 7, 2010 1:10 PM

This is really screwing up Todd Collins plan to have a 20 year NFL career while playing as little football as possible. I hear they have to pry the clipboard out of his hands.
    Maybe he can pull a Brandon Jacobs right before kick off and launch his helmet into the stands.

4. loumann says: Oct 7, 2010 1:14 PM

I dare anyone to prove me wrong on this: Todd Collins is the smartest player in the NFL.
    He has been in the NFL forever and has stunk longer than that, yet he makes a great living doing nothing.
    Other guys are malcontents wanting to be a starter but not Todd…….He sits on the bench and knows if he started regularly he would be cut ……….what a genius !

5. LaBronx_James says: Oct 7, 2010 1:19 PM

Todd Collins will start and Matt Forte will sit on my fantasy bench.

6. KingJoe! says: Oct 7, 2010 1:20 PM

Hey maybe the bears should have consider the possiblity of Cutler getting injured. Collins was slow at 25, he is going to get killed out there.

7. AbeFreshly says: Oct 7, 2010 1:22 PM

I think we will all be talking about Julius Peppers after this game, not Todd Collins.
    The Panthers are overdue for a win. The Bears look to be limping. Peppers can take over a game all by himself. Earlier this week, Julius said “The Panthers tried to make me look bad”. That means that he will make the Panthers look bad on Sunday. Clausen may get knocked out.

8. CremeBrunell says: Oct 7, 2010 1:24 PM

Good thing they got off to a great start cause they might lose to the lowly Panthers with Collins at the helm.

9. Cutlerplaysbetterthenyou says: Oct 7, 2010 1:27 PM

Bears 327 Panthers 0……Just Sayin

10. Wile E Coytote says: Oct 7, 2010 1:28 PM

The Bears better plan on having at least 4 QBs up and ready to go Sunday the way that line is playing. Yikes.

11. sideshow bob says: Oct 7, 2010 1:30 PM

Starting Todd Collins? Wow. Martz will probably be pounding back the Tom Collins if Cutler is out too long.

12. ChrisBinJax says: Oct 7, 2010 1:30 PM

So after a 3-0 start, “The Bears are who we thought they were” and will now go to 3-2 with Todd Collins in at Qb unless the Panthers “Let em off the hook.”

13. ChrisBinJax says: Oct 7, 2010 1:32 PM

14. kravon says: Oct 7, 2010 1:33 PM

Congratulations!!!!
    This game now eclipses Rams/Lions as the most awful game to watch this season.
    All rookies wide receivers and quarterback for the Panthers versus Todd Collins and one the most dysfunctional offensive lines in the league. No worries though, the Panthers entire team only has 4 sacks this year.
    Is it too late to put this game on PPV?
    Kravon
    PFT Charter Member

15. MarcusMac7 says: Oct 7, 2010 1:51 PM

This is horrible. Todd Collins Plays Like Phill Collins. Better off calling Jamarcus Russell. Bears are going to suffer.

16. FavresWaffleOutlet says: Oct 7, 2010 1:59 PM

Bears D may be their O this week.
    If you’ve got Forte or Olsen on your fantasy teams, start ‘em.

17. nfl says: Oct 7, 2010 2:06 PM

# Cutlerplaysbetterthenyou says: October 7, 2010 1:27 PM
    Bears 327 Panthers 0……Just Sayin
    With Cutler not playing, yes da Bearz could win big.
    Thankfully for Collins, Florio could play better than their loser ND QB.

18. ChillyP says: Oct 7, 2010 2:11 PM

Glad the Bears decided to sit Cutler after he showed up at Carolina’s practice.

19. runningamuck says: Oct 7, 2010 2:12 PM

We have not had a quality QB since Eric Kramer.
    Before that, Jim McMahon. Only 2 decent QB’s is 25 years.
    Now, Collins…Cutler, with this offensive line, guaranteed to be KIA.
    Bummer Bear fans !

20. Pantherdiehard45 says: Oct 7, 2010 2:14 PM

Its all lining up for a back and blue win. I thinkour corners will play solid, their receivers dont impress me except for knox’s speed. Hopefully meeks comes up with some nice blitz packages.

21. Jservo says: Oct 7, 2010 2:15 PM

Dude…..If you give anybody time in the pocket, they can do well. I’m not looking forward to Sunday’s game….but I’m also not going to speculate on whether or not Collins will screw up….I mean damn, can you have a worse game than last week’s pounding? I am worried though. Good Luck fellas.

22. WorldChampionBears2009 says: Oct 7, 2010 2:16 PM

Over/Under
    number of games Lovie Smith coaches the Bears.

23. CJ SPILLER says: Oct 7, 2010 2:16 PM

@loumann says:
    October 7, 2010 1:14 PM
    ________________________
    Best post on here!! It’s the truth!! How many of us would like that job? Heck, I would even clean the locker’s toilets and wash all the jockstraps for that gig!!!

24. CanadianVikingFan says: Oct 7, 2010 2:17 PM

Todd Collins looked stiffer than little Ben at a college party.

25. TP7 says: Oct 7, 2010 2:20 PM

When I thought Cutler was starting, my prediction was Bears 27 Panthers 9
    Now that Todd Collins is starting, my prediction has changed Bears 27 Panthers 3

26. gregjennings says: Oct 7, 2010 2:31 PM

Todd Collins is a competent back up with loads of experience. The Bears will be fine.

27. 4-84-28puretalent says: Oct 7, 2010 3:00 PM

Lets see if Martz continues to do 7 step drops with Collins. Martz was the worst coordinator they could have brought in for Cutler. Passing all day with a QB that doesnt care of the ball and no WR’s is insane. Bears will fall on their face throughout the rest of the year.

28. CHIEF ZEE says: Oct 7, 2010 3:15 PM

Todd Collins knows that Mike Martz / Al Saunders offense like the back of his hand…I would be more concerned about the offensive line protecting him if I was a Bears fan!

29. Shreve11189 says: Oct 7, 2010 3:17 PM

Caleb Hanie looked a lot better than Todd Collins on Sunday Night Football last week. Collins is terribly immobile and is a 3rd string NFL quarterback, Hanie will be in by the 2nd half.

30. purpleguy says: Oct 7, 2010 3:37 PM

The teams’ combined offensive yardage in this game might not exceed 150 yards.

31. realitypolice says: Oct 7, 2010 4:00 PM

If I were a judge, I would sentence every criminal that came through my court between now and Sunday to repeated viewings of this game.

32. RevJ says: Oct 7, 2010 4:05 PM

I think he will be fine. I’m a Panthers fan and I don’t think he has enough mobility to wonder into the leading edges of the Cat’s rush. All bets are off if the Bears line throws a Panther into him

33. realitypolice says: Oct 7, 2010 4:07 PM

CJ SPILLER says:
    October 7, 2010 2:16 PM
    @loumann says:
    October 7, 2010 1:14 PM
    ____________________ ____
    ======================
    I heard an NFL insider on the radio this week say that Todd Collins has always wanted to be a coach and purposely looks for situations where he can be back-up to an unquestioned starter.
    That way he can be on the sidelines with a headset soaking up as much knowledge as he can from the coaches without worrying about having to play.
    I sh** you not. I swear I heard this.
    He is not the first guy to focus on future coaching opportunities while still playing and thus avoiding situations where he could actually become a starter.
    Ever heard of Jason Garrett?

34. magsdad1 says: Oct 7, 2010 4:14 PM

3-2.

35. Wipackman says: Oct 7, 2010 4:14 PM

3-2

36. CalViking says: Oct 7, 2010 7:41 PM

Collins starting? Are you kidding me? With that OL and his feet in concrete mobility. You might as well blind fold the guy and give him a cigarette. I don’t know if the Bears have a wildcat package but for Collins sake, I hope their dusting it off. Why not start Hanie? At least he has a chance to run for his life. Panthers D must be licking their collective chops to get contract stats.

37. GreatGallopingGhosts says: Oct 7, 2010 8:00 PM

As I said in the other post, I hope the Bears concentrate more on winning the game as opposed to not losing.
    Too many times after a drubbing they go into protective mode with an overabundance of poorly concieved running plays.
    They are still my team but have a lot to prove this Sunday.

38. Chard says: Oct 7, 2010 10:46 PM

WTF happened to Caleb Hanie???
    Of all the QBs out there, we can’t find a suitable back up? Jeff Garcia is better than ALL of the team’s QBs… Angelo is a ding dong.
    Well… maybe the RBs will get like 60 carries this game.

39. Skins1970 says: Oct 7, 2010 11:52 PM

Todd Collins isn’t an NFL starting QB he has only played 4 good games and that was in 07 for the Skins. Collins was awful when he was the Bills starting QB after Jim Kelly retired.

40. -z- says: Oct 8, 2010 11:05 AM

The head injury to Cutler came way before the end of the first half – He had no idea where he was for most of two quarters.

41. Kravon says: Oct 14, 2010 1:29 PM

I told you he would blow.