Mike Westhoff expresses disappointment with firing of John Bonamego

We noticed the comments, which were distributed by the team on Friday, in an item from Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald.

“I was disappointed in it,” Westhoff said of the move.  “It’s not like he’s my best friend, because he’s not.
I’m not friends with anybody to tell you the truth except for the guys that are
here. I was disappointed in it.  I talked to him.  I didn’t try to give him a
pep talk. . . .  It’s happened to
everyone.  Frankly, to be real honest, the last game that I saw a real special
teams disaster game, the coach from New England [Scott O’Brien] was coaching at Denver.

“It’s
happened to all of us, trust me.  I’m in that group too.  We’ve all [had] those days. . . .  Now if they had included some personnel with it, I might
have not felt so bad.  That bothers me.  I know the guy worked hard.  It’s their
business.  It’s not mine.  They have the right to decide their own.  I respect
that, but I’m disappointed when those things happen.

“I think it does single out
sports today, ‘You’ve got to blame somebody.’  When I was at Miami, for example,
when I first went there, I coached special teams with Don Shula.  They probably
wouldn’t have fired him.  I guess I have a feeling toward it.”

Westhoff also suggested that the blame rests not with Bonamego but with the player who screwed up, twice.

“It’s interesting that there was one
particular guy that was involved in two of those major breakdowns,” Westhoff said.  “Frankly, I
don’t think he could play.  I don’t want the guy either.”

Westhoff wouldn’t name the player.  But he’s apparently still there — and he possibly could get Bonamego’s replacement fired at some point, too.

Meanwhile, we suspect that the Dolphins would prefer that Westhoff mind his own business and not criticize the decision to part ways with Bonamego.  And we wouldn’t be surprised to learn that coach Tony Sparano has made that point directly to Westhoff.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
18 Responses to “Mike Westhoff expresses disappointment with firing of John Bonamego”
  1. MysterD says: Oct 9, 2010 6:38 PM

Barbie Carpenter.

2. getagrip says: Oct 9, 2010 6:48 PM

Westhoff’s still mad that Wannstedt fired him for some BS reason many years ago.

3. SomeFans says: Oct 9, 2010 6:52 PM

WESTHOFF NOW SEEMS TO SPORT A BIG YAP LIKES THE REST OF THE WETS. He should concern himself with his own problems.

4. jcjets says: Oct 9, 2010 6:57 PM

Soprano is worried about his own ass.

5. iampats says: Oct 9, 2010 7:06 PM

Maybe Mike Westhoff can get a job for John Bonamego at that pizza parlor in the Bronx that he referred to on Hard Knocks.

6. jaxdolfan says: Oct 9, 2010 7:25 PM

Westhoff is a good coach who was fired by Death Spiral Dave Wanndstedt in favor or Keith Armstrong. Yep. Keith Armstrong. Not Trace Armstrong, who contributed to the Dolphins success. Keith, who’s claim to fame is that he did not question Death Spiral Dave.

7. Darth Obama says: Oct 9, 2010 8:10 PM

“Jets special-teams coordinator Mike Westhoff, whose decision to join the Jets a couple of years ago prompted some disappointment in Miami given that Westhoff had access to Dolphins practices during his “retirement”, has expressed disappointment regarding the decision of the Dolphins to fire special-teams coordinator John Bonamego after a Monday night game that featured a kickoff return for a touchdown, a blocked punt, and a blocked field goal against the Patriots.”
    Run on sentence much?
    Sheesh the entire first paragrapgh is one sentence!
    It also has FOUR commas…

8. Chiefs2010 says: Oct 9, 2010 9:36 PM

“I respect that, but I’m disappointed when those things happen.”
    /John Madden upon hearing about Brett Favre sending pictures of his anatomy to Jenn Sterger..

9. FranKtheTanK says: Oct 9, 2010 11:33 PM

he’s trying to say that bonamego shouldn’t be fired for that single game….. which shows how muchs he knows about the situation. people have been calling for his head since before the season started….

10. william sizemore says: Oct 10, 2010 12:30 AM

Some folks are just not smart enough to know when to keep there mouth shut, he needs to forget what happen years ago and let go and move on, he got a raw deal in Miami, time to heal and move on. Bill

11. jvw says: Oct 10, 2010 6:51 AM

When you special teams doesnt improve, week after week after yr and then you have a game like they did following a game where they had a punt blocked, somebody has to get fired……..

12. RUGGERLAD says: Oct 10, 2010 7:32 AM

special teams have been a prob all season this was just the icing on the cake

13. GRpatriot says: Oct 10, 2010 8:29 AM

Look at the play, it’s fairly obvious the LT took the play off. Unless there’s a new blocking tecnique I haven’t heard about!
    Throw out an arm and hope for the best technique? They got the same guy twice. In fairness Chung was really good at blocking kicks, punts in College!
    Belichick broke the play down on “All Access” and it was clear what happened. Unless they replace this guy, (the Tackle) expect to see more of this. Coach was made an example of…

14. FireJerryJones says: Oct 10, 2010 9:17 AM

Here’s an idea…What about a blog of the other 31 NFL Special teams coaches? Nope. Just wouldn’t be that interesting. Kinda like this post.

15. Ytsejamer1 says: Oct 10, 2010 10:12 AM

jesus…even their coaches don’t shut the eff up and mind their own business. Westoff isn’t even the best ST coach in his own conference, let alone the league.

16. SeantheFinFan says: Oct 10, 2010 10:51 AM

He’s still an ass

17. william sizemore says: Oct 10, 2010 11:52 AM

Wouldn’t you like to see the Vikings run all over the jets Monday night? Bill

18. TheSleepness says: Oct 10, 2010 12:42 PM

westhoff is the best in the business..i curse miami for letting him walk, to the jets no less!