Haynesworth will miss Sunday's game after brother's death

When the family of Lance McCoy announced on Saturday plans for a memorial motorcycle ride and a memorial service thereafter to occur on Sunday, it was obvious that his brother, Redskins defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth, would miss Sunday’s game between the Redskins and the Packers.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that, indeed, Haynesworth will not be present for Sunday’s game.

On Friday, coach Mike Shanahan indicated that he would respect a decision by Haynesworth not to play in Sunday’s game.  “I would never ask somebody if they’re going to play
when a tragedy like that just happened,” Shanahan said.

Given the history between player and coach, the gesture by Shanahan could be the catalyst for a strong relationship between the two men moving forward.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Washington Redskins
13 Responses to “Haynesworth will miss Sunday's game after brother's death”
  1. SirSuperSouthern says: Oct 10, 2010 8:09 AM

Surprise!!!

2. BroncoBourque says: Oct 10, 2010 8:24 AM

A nice gesture by Shanahan and the Redskins, although I struggle to give someone credit for being human. The guy’s brother just died, any coach or team that would ask that he play needs a reality check and some perpective on life.

3. Cleg says: Oct 10, 2010 8:40 AM

The damage is done. Haynesworth will not be back next season anyway. Shanny did the right thing by telling him its ok.
    @broncobourque – I would not put is past any NFL coach to think the game trumpts everything else in life. I bet if this was 10-15 years ago Shanny would have told him to be at the game.

4. TheWizard says: Oct 10, 2010 9:03 AM

There are only 16 games that he’s paid over a hundred million dollars for?
    Play.
    He’s had time to mourn his brother.

5. Jeremy says: Oct 10, 2010 9:26 AM

Yeah, I didn’t really peg Haynesworth as the type to go out and play inspired football in homage to his fallen family member as many athletes do in these situations.

6. robsterNY says: Oct 10, 2010 9:43 AM

@ TheWizard
    I guess money is your God and yardstick with which you measure everything in this life.
    Man …I Thank my God everyday Im not like YOU.

7. The Hogster says: Oct 10, 2010 9:43 AM

Wow TheWizard. More like TheLizard.
    BTW – he’s not paid 100M for one year dumba$$. Sigh – the Ryder Cup fans now have nothing to watch and are commenting on Football threads without knowing what they’re talking about.

8. Hellscream says: Oct 10, 2010 9:53 AM

@TheWizard: When someone in your family dies, I hope you continue to show up at work and not take time off. If he can do it and make millions, you and your minimum wage job asking “you want fries with that?” should be just fine to go to, too.
    While yes, there’s a lot of things I think Albert should be reprimanded on, Snyder and Shannahan are doing the right thing. Snyder even let Albert and his family use his private plane to fly home….

9. Finz says: Oct 10, 2010 10:30 AM

@TheWizard
    Go back down into your basement with your tube socks and bottle of Jergens and let the adults talk. You’re a moron…
    That is the STUPIDEST comment I have ever read on here….
    The man lost his brother. When you lose a family member, especially a sibling, the amount of money you make has no bearing on whether you should go to work on not…
    Idiot….

10. scrapdawg12 says: Oct 10, 2010 11:03 AM

Coach gave the player the respect he needs. Now, the player needs to give the coach the respect he needs. Next week, Haynesworth should walk into Shanny’s office an apologize for everything. Then, from here on out, play like the beast that he was signed to be

11. cidman2001 says: Oct 10, 2010 11:16 AM

I agree @TheWizard is an insensitive idiot! What kind of jerk would even think that way?
    I thought Shanahan showed a lot of poise and class towards someone he’s obviously not a big fan of. If you recall he does have experience with grieving players. Shanahan was there when Darrent Williams was killed. He knows how important it is to let players grieve. Having lost a brother far too young, I can sympathize with Albert Haynesworth and send my condolences. Next week I can return to calling an overpriced dumbass, but for now I will just let the man grieve in peace.

12. ronniea54 says: Oct 10, 2010 11:24 AM

# scrapdawg12 says: October 10, 2010 11:03 AM
    Excellent Point!!! Would put an end to a terrible story.

13. JackieTreehorn says: Oct 10, 2010 11:27 AM

I bet Shanahan is cursing Haynesworth out of the other side of his mouth.