Whitner: The Bills are the "laughingstock" of the NFL

Sunday was a winnable game for the Bills. (So winnable, Florio and I both incorrectly took them to beat the Jaguars.)  Buffalo jumped out to a 10-0 lead, but their defense collapsed against the Jaguars in a 36-26 loss.   Their switch to a 3-4 defense has been a disaster.

Bills safety Donte Whitner was apoplectic after the game.

It’s terrible.  It’s 0-5, the laughingstock of the National Football League. I think we are losing fans by the minute,”
Whitner said via Tim Graham of ESPN.com’s AFC East blog.

Ralph Wilson Stadium was rather empty on Sunday, and things may only get worse.  Graham brings up the possibility of an 0-16 season, which is hard to imagine.  The “easiest” games they have left are home contests against the Browns and Lions.

Still, there’s a reason there’s only been one 0-16 team.  It’s hard to lose them all, no matter how big a laughingstock this Bills team has become.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
53 Responses to “Whitner: The Bills are the "laughingstock" of the NFL”
  1. joetoronto says: Oct 10, 2010 8:32 PM

I’m not even sure we want the Bills anymore, yikes.

2. jetsrkillinme says: Oct 10, 2010 8:49 PM

The one thing that was right about the Bills was their defense. So build around that, right?
    No, the new morons come in and declare to the world that they are changing to a 3-4 regardless of personnel.
    The league should intervene to save this train wreck.

3. Reddog says: Oct 10, 2010 8:55 PM

I am a life long Bills fan, unfortunately…..I actually hope they go 0-16 and remove Ralph’s bust from the Hall of Fame and put it into the Hall of Shame! The problems with this team start and end with Ralph! He has failed to hire and let a real football man run the team. This has the least amount of talent in the league!

4. Meldog says: Oct 10, 2010 9:08 PM

I saw a couple fans with bags on their heads today…..I thought only Miami had moron fans that did that crap, but I guess Buffalo has plenty of idiots too…..Whitner is right, the Bills are a joke and they should be ashamed of themselves……I am a season ticket holder and the best part of my day was cooking a really good ribeye. The game started so good too.

5. TomBrady'sHairStylist says: Oct 10, 2010 9:10 PM

he has said this multiple times

6. PurplePeopleBeaters says: Oct 10, 2010 9:20 PM

I’m not a Bills fan (Saints fan). But they have some of the BEST fans in the NFL, and they don’t deserve this.

7. FireJerryJones says: Oct 10, 2010 9:20 PM

Hard to watch… or care.
    Worst… the problem is the owner.
    Once he goes, the team leaves Buffalo for LA.

8. FumbleNuts says: Oct 10, 2010 9:23 PM

You have a coach easing your #1 Draft pick RB into the games??
    Give C.J. Spiller the rock and let that man R-U-N!!

9. MUSTANGMIKE says: Oct 10, 2010 9:27 PM

It definitely helps that he keeps announcing this (not). When will his coach sack up and shut his yap? Honestly. Control your lockerroom. Your boy is dogging the cause. Muzzle please.
    As for Whitner, he’s not a Pro-Bowler, so he might want to check himself and be a better teammate.
    Or they could just move to L.A.

10. Philahoov says: Oct 10, 2010 9:27 PM

Best idea is moving to Toranto, getting a new owner with a lot of money and willingness to spend it. It could/should remain the root for team in Buffalo and maybe you can bring in someone who has a clue to run the front office and then bring in a ‘Football Coach’. Parcels will be out there soon.

11. SkinsFanInNebraska says: Oct 10, 2010 9:30 PM

Wow, it’s nice to hear that tag applied to some OTHER team for a change!! :-D

12. Ron says: Oct 10, 2010 9:35 PM

It’s terrible. I think we are losing fans by the minute,” Whitner said via Tim Graham of ESPN.com’s AFC East blog.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Did Buffalo have any fans to begin with??????

13. The Banker says: Oct 10, 2010 9:37 PM

They change Coaches, General Managers, Quarterbacks, Wide Receivers, Running Backs and they lose lose lose…….The Offensive line is a disaster…Who Scouts for this team is any ones guess….Bottom line, its not just the Bills that are inconsistent..The Sabres are a mishap too…There top goal scorers getting the top buck are no shows most of the time…..All in all the Sports Scene in Buffalo is a shambles…..I’d like to see Regier sent packing along with Quinn and Ruff…As far as Buddy Nix and Chan Gaily, they can drive the bus………………….I’m through. Not going to games and not going to watch them on the tube….I don’t know what the answer is but it isn’t going to change for a long long time……I really believe they could care less…They are going to start caring real real soon…The seats are starting to be empty…Both Arenas…….

14. majorlots says: Oct 10, 2010 9:39 PM

tell donte whitner to survive watching 60 minutes of a panthers game this season…it may not make you buffalo fans feel better, but you’re not alone, my panthers are f-in awful

15. Alzado's Vein says: Oct 10, 2010 9:39 PM

Whitner should look in the mirror. The guy hasn’t exactly done much of anything since being taken #8 overall in the 2006 draft. The Bills need to completely turn over the roster with exception to 1st and 2nd year players. Everyone else is used to losing, including Whitner. And yes Ralph should be ashamed of this product. Actually, he should be arrested for ripping off the diehard Bills fans who are paying his bills (no pun intended). The guy should have never been considered for the Hall of Fame.

16. shidders says: Oct 10, 2010 9:41 PM

@ Philahoov
    Toranto doesnt want the Bills

17. PriorKnowledge says: Oct 10, 2010 9:42 PM

jetsrkillinme says:
    October 10, 2010 8:49 PM
    Hey – the Redskins DID THE EXACT SAME THING! But maybe the Redskins have better coaches.

18. shidders says: Oct 10, 2010 9:48 PM

@ Ron “The Limo Driver”
    If its Brown(s), flush it down

19. JohnnyFootballHero says: Oct 10, 2010 9:59 PM

Yep, Toronto definitely wants the Bills. Any city without an NFL franchise would gladly welcome the Bills. As long as we get to restructure the team.

20. drfrenchtoast says: Oct 10, 2010 10:05 PM

hey banker,
    yer mom.

21. wd40 says: Oct 10, 2010 10:10 PM

I thought the Cowboys are….

22. don4953 says: Oct 10, 2010 10:16 PM

23. DarthGator7 says: Oct 10, 2010 10:23 PM

Where’s all the hype for the Los Angeles Bills?

24. Blackn'Gold says: Oct 10, 2010 10:26 PM

The Bills did score but they couldn’t keep the lead. The transition to a 3/4 defense takes time. The best thing the Bills can do is to keep working, study film and practice.
    GO STEELERS!

25. ninjapleazee says: Oct 10, 2010 10:27 PM

panthers

26. Pantherdiehard45 says: Oct 10, 2010 10:31 PM

ughhh idk i think carolina might be right there with them( even though we are so young and we have a coach on his way out) kills me to say it even though we do have a legitimate defense

27. FinFan68 says: Oct 10, 2010 10:36 PM

Their defense played much better as a 4-3. Maybe they ought to give up on a scheme they don’t have the personnel for yet. Their secondary was one of the best and still can be but they need to build their defensive scheme around the talent that they do have. Square peg, round hole results so far this year.

28. jliskiew says: Oct 10, 2010 11:03 PM

Hang in their Bills fans, this is the right year to be the worst team in football – as long as Andrew Luck turns pro…

29. Feldman_oten says: Oct 10, 2010 11:23 PM

Oh Buffalo knows what a lead is? I forgot it’s possible to lead a game here in Carolina. Buffalo is not the laughing stock, the Panthers are the laughing stock.

30. Canyonero says: Oct 10, 2010 11:38 PM

Maybe they should bring back Rob Johnson

31. stugacz says: Oct 10, 2010 11:47 PM

Sell and move them to Los Angeles!

32. IBleedDCRed says: Oct 10, 2010 11:58 PM

They need to call Jim Kelly and get some advice!

33. PirateFreedom says: Oct 11, 2010 12:05 AM

Time for Parcells to complete his set of AFC east turn arounds.
    He’s done the Pats, Jets and Dolphins and, damn it, the bills are due.

34. mikeymae says: Oct 11, 2010 12:36 AM

PirateFreedom says:
    October 11, 2010 12:05 AM
    Time for Parcells to complete his set of AFC east turn arounds.
    He’s done the Pats, Jets and Dolphins and, damn it, the bills are due.
    King Ralph won’t allow someone off the street to take control of the team. Don’t forget that we interviewed Mike Shanahan and Bill Cowher during the offseason. They both requested full control and were shown the door.

35. prophet of the light says: Oct 11, 2010 12:53 AM

At least they are not the Panthers.

36. CKL says: Oct 11, 2010 4:50 AM

majorlots says:
    October 10, 2010 9:39 PM
    ____________________________
    They are in fact terribad.
    The Bills have been competitive in most of their games. They always play the Pats pretty tough too. The Panthers on the other hand were “in” just the one game against NO. That is one brutal mfing offense. BRUTAL. I feel sorry for
    De Angelo Williams. He’s the real diamond of that offense, not #89.
    I feel bad for the Bills and their fans actually. And even some of their players. I always wondered why they let SO MANY good players leave when they had so much left in the tank like Nate C, Winfield, Fletcher, Spikes, Greer, etc. I get that some has to be money related, but dang.

37. JagMania65 says: Oct 11, 2010 6:04 AM

don4953 says:
    October 10, 2010 10:16 PM
    Hahahaha – that old chestnut never gets old down here… I’d rebut your statement, but you know what they say about arguing with idiots…

38. We need linemen says: Oct 11, 2010 6:15 AM

Note to coaches. The 3-4 had a run of success because only a few coaches were using it. They had their pick of the best 3-4 personnel, and had experience with that type of defence.
    There is nothing magic about the 3-4. More of the great defences have been based around 4-man front. The “flexibility” of the 3-4 is only of use if you:
    1) know exactly what to do with it,
    2) have the personnel to exploit it.

39. leopold332002 says: Oct 11, 2010 6:21 AM

don4953 says:
    October 10, 2010 10:16 PM
    ——————————-
    Man shut the hell up with your childish comments because our team looks pretty good against your half empty bills in a half empty stadium.
    Sunday official attendances for the buffalo bills game. 58,347 i guess the bills need the tarps on your stadium unless they about to relocate to london. lol. Check us out on next monday night on prime time t.v.v so we can show you a sold out sadium because unlike your situation we sold our tickets this year. Lets go Buffalo. lol.

40. Kevin C says: Oct 11, 2010 7:06 AM

Isn’t Whitner a laughingstock himself?

41. Nsblend says: Oct 11, 2010 7:24 AM

As pathetic as the Bills are… I can def see 0-16… Other than F-Jax or Spiller this team has 0 talent… Only way they win a game is a “trap game” against someone..

42. ejtowne says: Oct 11, 2010 7:53 AM

They should either switch back to the 4-3 or start bringing in the right men for the job. I am a Bills fan for life, nothing will change that. Go Bills!!

43. rayhess2000 says: Oct 11, 2010 8:14 AM

The Bills are losing fans and they deserve it. I’ve been a life long fan, but I am hoping they don’t win a game this year just for the draft pick. Of course they had their best chance at a Quarterback last year but passed on all of them. This is also the same team that already had a stud running back in Travis Henry but still drafted McGahee instead of going for a quarterback. At this point I would be happy if Rob Johnson came back as QB. And that is pretty sad.

44. lmsedia says: Oct 11, 2010 8:44 AM

1. They’re not moving to L.A. – whoever buys them is keeping them in Buffalo. Ralph is gone in the next 8 months, a lockout is supposedly coming (I don’t buy it…), Goodell is from the area and probably helps our chances of keeping the team here; on top of all that, a move to LA requires the league to restructure.
    2. @ron- yes. The bills have fans. We probably have the 2nd poorest city in the nfl and a blackout is rare…even over the last 10 years. So, yes, the bills have plenty of fans (there are bills bars all over the country). So we have fans everywhere. Not one of which is named “ron” (ick.)
    3. The problem here is we have donte whitner talking for, as far as I know, the third week in a row. What’s embarassing, donte, is when a 32yr old LT breaks your ankles on his way to sportscenter’s top 10.
    4. We’ll trade the #1 pick if ralphs alive. I’m not supporting it, but it is what it is. Christian ponder, here we come…

45. TheDPR says: Oct 11, 2010 8:45 AM

I think if the Bills really put their minds to it then they can accomplish the feat of 0-16.

46. connĂ­e says: Oct 11, 2010 8:56 AM

I’m laughing harder at Dallas than Buffalo right now.
    / always have actually

47. SomeFans says: Oct 11, 2010 9:12 AM

@moronmeldog- you must have just crawled out from under a rock. The Dolphins fans never wore bags over their heads. However, you may want to from the sound of it.
    If you want to jab a fanbase over this… go to the Aints. It’s their history knob.

48. jj jones says: Oct 11, 2010 9:18 AM

One of the worst defenses I may have seen in my life.

49. Just JTO says: Oct 11, 2010 9:23 AM

I really feel for you Bills fans. I don’t know what I’d do if the Steelers stunk week-in and week-out. There were a couple of those seasons in my lifetime and they were not fun.
    I think the NFL needs to do something about owners who get so old and still insist on making all the calls. I mean, look at Ralph Wilson and Al Davis … Both of those franchises were proud ones only a few years ago. But it is obvious Wilson and Davis are running their teams into the ground. yes, it’s their teams, but who about the fans who pay a lot of the bills by buying tickets and merchandise? Doesn’t the NFL care about them?
    There is no excuse for looking the other way while things continue to crumble in Buffalo. Oakland won yesterday, but over the last 4 seasons or so, well, one game does not turn around a franchise.

50. ArtModellsPimp says: Oct 11, 2010 9:35 AM

Buffalo Bills fans are great people, who deserve much better than what they are getting…just like Cleveland fans,
    When that effin liar, modell stole the team, and planted them in that craphole, baltimore, the Bills fans were very supportive of Clevelanders…unlike the mouth-breathers in shittsburgh and cincinasty.
    I’m glad that Whitner is showing some passion, but he really needs to just shut his hole and do his job for the people of that great city, who are paying his wages…
    Get busy, Whitner…or get gone.

51. Meldog says: Oct 11, 2010 10:06 AM

@SomeFans
    You said, “The Dolphins fans never wore bags over their heads.”.
    Yes, they most certainly did. Everyone saw it on TV the year you guys went 1-15…..which really wasn’t all that long ago. So how long have you been a fan? I witnessed dolphins fans on numerous occasions wearing bags on their heads that year (every mid to late season televised game).
    I think you missed the point of my post anyways….I was actually paying the dolphins fans a compliment by saying that even Bills fans are capable of the same stupid behavior.

52. harloeisdead says: Oct 11, 2010 5:39 PM

don4953 says: October 10, 2010 10:16 PM
    —-
    Awww, someone’s a little bitter about Aaron Kampman coming to town and smacking your sissies around. Now, I’ve heard the fine folks of Buffalo are a little slow, so let me break this down for you. The tarps to which you refer are there for a reason. With the tarps on the seats, EverBank Field holds 67,164 (you know, about 9,000 more than were at the game yesterday). They have to remove them in order to contain enough people for the annual FL-GA game, which is one of the city’s biggest sources of income (kinda like when a popular visiting team is playing the Bills).
    So if you’d like, feel free to tell me how many games in Jacksonville have been blacked out this season. When you’re done with that, grab a bowl of popcorn and enjoy watching us and our 3 WINS (which is a lot more satisfying than a big fat 0) next Monday night, in front of a sold out stadium, for the division lead.
    Los Angeles Bills… that has a nice ring to it, not that Buffalo knows much about rings.

53. jj jones says: Oct 12, 2010 9:45 AM

“don4953 says:
    October 10, 2010 10:16 PM
    Actually the stadium was full. There were about a half dozen jaguars fans in my season which would be a sellout for Jacksonville after they put the black tarps up.”
    60k+ at every home game in Jacksonville this year.
    And if you think the Ralph was full Sunday, you didn’t look at the upper deck.