Cincinnati police chief calls Pacman incident "unfortunate mistake"

A day after Bengals cornerback Adam Pacman Jones was handcuffed for 45 minutes after a minor car accident because police confused him with another Adam Jones, Cincinnati’s chief of police has acknowledged that his department screwed up.

According to Streicher, the officer who held Jones didn’t hear a dispatch saying that there was no warrant for the Adam Jones he was holding.

Although the police report described Jones as “belligerent and combative,” Streicher acknowledged that it was reasonable for Jones to be upset when he was detained and hadn’t done anything wrong.

Frankly, who wouldn’t be upset over being handcuffed and held in front of a crowd of people over a case of mistaken identity? Here’s hoping the Cincinnati police take steps to make sure such incidents don’t happen again.

Permalink 57 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
57 Responses to “Cincinnati police chief calls Pacman incident "unfortunate mistake"”
  1. Moonunit says: Oct 11, 2010 8:19 PM

If he weren’t “belligerent and combative” he could have soundly reasoned with the officers until the matter was resolved. When you start off your argument in a maner that seems to already acknowledge some kind of guilt, you can’t expect an officer to expect anything but his guilt. He doesn’t need to verbaly attack the officer for his obvious mistake. He only needed to point out the mistake and help the officer to realize it. No one will listen to any one in a belligerent and combative state of mind.

2. IckeyShuffled says: Oct 11, 2010 8:20 PM

3. NagaSwan says: Oct 11, 2010 8:22 PM

“Frankly, who wouldn’t be upset over being handcuffed and held in front of a crowd of people over a case of mistaken identity,” How about adding “in a city with a national reputation for having incredibly racist police.” Good work cleaning up that image.

4. jasar13 says: Oct 11, 2010 8:24 PM

After all we wouldn’t want Pacman to be offended by anyones behavior.

5. Quagmire says: Oct 11, 2010 8:27 PM

I’d guess that the cuffs have a familiar feel to this dud.

6. SirSuperDank says: Oct 11, 2010 8:31 PM

F the street cops!

7. TheFoo says: Oct 11, 2010 8:36 PM

Soundly reasoned with some clown that “didn’t hear the dispatcher” that there was no warrant for him? yeah, sure.
    Honestly are you that dense? It says right there dispatch told the officer there was no warrant. But he was suppose to reason with him? I guess the dispatcher was belligerent too, because he didn’t seem to listen to them either.
    GTFO with that nonsense. He was held for nothing, by an officer who was told he had no warrants out for him. But yeah, blames Jones.
    I think your boss Tom Streicher wants to talk to you…

8. Phokus says: Oct 11, 2010 8:52 PM

“If he weren’t “belligerent and combative” he could have soundly reasoned with the officers until the matter was resolved. When you start off your argument in a maner that seems to already acknowledge some kind of guilt, you can’t expect an officer to expect anything but his guilt.”
    ————————————-
    How is being visibily angry about being wrongfully cuffed an ‘acknowledgement of some kind of guilt’?
    That’s about the most natural reaction for anyone. If i was wrongfully cuffed you bet your ass i would be upset.

9. BigBear123 says: Oct 11, 2010 9:00 PM

I’d like to see anyone get combative and beligerant with Police and not expect to get handcuffed.

10. Bronco4life says: Oct 11, 2010 9:02 PM

Especially when it would have been strike three. I can’t imagine a feeling much worse than sitting in cuffs wondering if your life as you know it is permanently over.

11. Pinhead Greeny says: Oct 11, 2010 9:02 PM

I’m still amazed he was out of cuffs to begin with..

12. Corey says: Oct 11, 2010 9:07 PM

Come on Moonunit,
    First of all check your grammar. If you can’t spell, don’t post.
    Secondly, let me put you in handcuffs and tell you that there is a warrant for your arrest; knowing that it cannot be true, let’s see how you react. Also, there is no mention of the behavior of the police officers involved. Maybe they started off treating him badly. I can’t comment on that, I was not there.
    http://www.dictionary.com is a good source if you need it.

13. Kevin says: Oct 11, 2010 9:07 PM

@NagaSwam… incredibly racist police huh? How so? I’m sure there is a collection of proof somewhere?

14. skinny pigeon says: Oct 11, 2010 9:08 PM

How many times have you been handcuffed by the police? Or had a “mistaken identity” situation with the police?
    Targeted, I’m just sayin’

15. superb owl says: Oct 11, 2010 9:26 PM

hell i am sure punkman has done stuff there worth being cuffed.
    he put on a show like he was indignant and got loose.
    just a matter of time…

16. ANUoldman says: Oct 11, 2010 9:50 PM

as usual, being ‘belligerent and combative’ seems like reasonable behaviour to NFLers ….. and evidently the author…. as if bitching up a storm is going to make it easier for the officer to hear the radio or get his head around the story or maybe move Pacman to a car or somewhere not so exposed and embarrasing…

17. ken covert says: Oct 11, 2010 9:52 PM

Packman my friend..you met your match in Cincinnati…The police are not color blind..They are the most racist bunch this side of Jesse Jackson & Al Sharpton..match point

18. tk1966 says: Oct 11, 2010 9:53 PM

Corey says: October 11, 2010 9:07 PM
    Come on Moonunit,
    First of all check your grammar. If you can’t spell, don’t post.
    _____________________________________
    So says Corey, Grammar Police!

19. cidy says: Oct 11, 2010 9:57 PM

Moonunit, do you have some video or audio of this incident I haven’t seen yet? If you didn’t see the incident then you’re just making shit up.
    Aside from that, your entire post might as well have been written by a 10-year old retard. Tell me something you moron, how many cops on this planet have never heard someone tell him he has the wrong guy? It doesn’t matter how much you “soundly reasoned” or “help the officer to realize it”, you’re going to be told to shut your mouth. How stupendously naive can you be?
    Now punch yourself in the nuts & apologize for posting.

20. LiberalGuilt says: Oct 11, 2010 10:14 PM

I’m a law enforcement officer. Let me be the first to tell you, cops are not God. If you’re unjustly detained, you have every right in the damn world to be belligerent and combative. If this were Adam Jones the 50-year-old investment banker driving a Volvo, everyone would curse the stupid police for making such an awful mistake. But because it’s Pacman and he has a rap sheet longer than Favre’s weiner, some people are inclined to assume he is guilty in any situation. He’s paid his debt to society, and he seems to have moved on from his childish behavior. I’m not saying you have to give him the benefit of the doubt, but don’t defend the police when they make a very obvious and very stupid mistake. Law enforcement should be held as accountable as any other branch of the government.

21. brasho says: Oct 11, 2010 10:14 PM

Let’s see, when I was in AZ and was informed that I was going to be arrested for not having a breathalyzer ignition control gizmo on my car, even though I had never had a DUI in my life, I was still calm… told the officer the truth. Then of course he told my wife after she said I had never had a DUI that, “I’m sure there’s a lot about your husband you don’t know.” I remained calm and thought about how much money the city of Phoenix or the Virginia DMV was going to owe me if I had to spend the weekend in jail. But then the cop wrote me a ticket for expired tags and never mentioned the other thing.
    If I had acted like a total nincompooop he probably should have arrested me. But I’m not a piece of ghetto trash like Pac-Man is and many other morons across the country. If you act respectfully, even if you disagree, and show a little class and humility (unlike the millions who think the world owes them something), the police will treat you like human beings.
    As for the cops making mistakes… hey, there job is to arrest people. Most of you mental midgets bashing them make mistakes at your jobs too… but instead of somebody getting arrested you accidentally forget somebody’s fries for their drive-thru order.

22. Chrisl4064 says: Oct 11, 2010 10:19 PM

Wrong. Belligerent and combative is how you get tazered. Try not being an emotional “the world is falling all around me” thug. Cops are humans too, do i hate them, yes, do they piss me off, yes. Do I act like a fool around them…. obviously no.

23. Igottz5onit says: Oct 11, 2010 10:24 PM

One time I told a cop I wasn’t drunk when he accused me. I tried to walk away rather than get in the police car. The cop tazed me and I had to spend the night in jail for resisting arrest despite the fact I wasn’t drunk. So it could have been worse for pacman.

24. Tjackfan says: Oct 11, 2010 10:51 PM

@Igottz50nit
    Thank you for your irrelevant story. Perhaps you were high from sniffing glue, in which case, you are right, you were not drunk.

25. Arizona Buckeye says: Oct 11, 2010 11:31 PM

@brasho – good thing you weren’t of Hispanic heritage or you’d still be in tent city or in some remote location in Mexico after being deported. The Arizona police don’t like non whites either

26. NoKoolaidCowboy says: Oct 11, 2010 11:35 PM

Moonunit, you are a unit!
    Police Chief admitted they were wrong, to continue arguing this point only shows you’re a douche.
    Let’s all just agree that not all cops are smart.

27. Zach says: Oct 11, 2010 11:46 PM

“After all we wouldn’t want Pacman to be offended by anyones behavior.”
    After all, Pacman has 0 convictions

28. Voyager6 says: Oct 12, 2010 12:21 AM

Just try getting on an airline flight if someone with your name is on the Do Not Fly list. Until recently, it didn’t matter if you could prove you weren’t the person. If you have the name, you do not fly. Period.
    It takes a government to really mess things up.

29. costant480 says: Oct 12, 2010 12:47 AM

One question: Was it “raining” at the time of the accident?

30. -Slap- says: Oct 12, 2010 12:53 AM

Jones will be in cuffs for his own wrongdoing soon enough. And then the NFL will welcome him back again. Then he’ll avoid being arrested for 8-9 months and people will talk about how he’s turned his life around. Same old crap.

31. tinopuno says: Oct 12, 2010 1:22 AM

For years Cincinnatti, which is technically in Ohio but is culturally part of Kentucky, has been known excellent German sausage, good beer and a chronically racist police force.
    Nothing much has changed.

32. Moonunit says: Oct 12, 2010 1:31 AM

@ Corey
    The grammar was impeccable. I’m sorry if leaving an n out manner and an l out of verbally so greatly hindered your ability to read my post.
    My only point is that in any given situation you can either help or hurt your chances. Pacman has every right to be pissed off about what happened. Yelling at a police officer will never help your chances.
    The only example I can give from my own personal experience is this: I was driving home from work the other day trying to make it in time for a Monday night kickoff. I was gunned going 76 in a 70 so I got pulled over. I obviously didn’t want to be late, but I interacted with the officer in a manner that was not conducive to my returning home promptly. After I let him know that he could just write my ticket so I could get on my way, he asked me one more question, “Please step out of the car.” When he asked me to search my car, I asked him what the hell for. I got to sit on the highway for the next 45 minutes waiting for a police dog. After all of that, I was allowed to go on my way with a simple speeding ticket. I was not exactly belligerent or combative, but I only hurt my chances of getting home quickly through my actions.
    This was also no act of profiling. Jones swerved his car to avoid another car and ended up on a sidewalk. The police came up to a car on a sidewalk and ran a routine check. This is where they failed. I do not know all of the circumstances, but I would have to imagine that a police officer dealing with a non-belligerent and non-combative Adam Jones would have been able to do his job much quicker.

33. dzimm08 says: Oct 12, 2010 1:46 AM

Does anybody remember when Adam Jones the baseball player got held up at customs when his team was going to Toronto because they thought he was Adam “Pacman” Jones? They posted that story on here a year or two ago. Pretty funny how this has happened a few times… or not.

34. LiberalGuilt says: Oct 12, 2010 2:52 AM

So I guess some of you think if a guy’s been in trouble with the law a few times, the police have the right to unlawfully detain him at will, and it’s his fault whether he committed a crime or not. Sound reasoning there, kids.
    Also TheFoo made a great point…try and have a reasonable discussion with a cop sometimes when you’re cuffed. If any of you are naive enough to think that a cop would listen to your pleas of innocence, I have beachfront property in Idaho you may be interested in purchasing.

35. southFLAsteel says: Oct 12, 2010 5:37 AM

Yeah, cause God knows you wouldn’t want to ruin this fine upstanding young man’s shinning reputation, now would you?!?

36. Klingon says: Oct 12, 2010 6:15 AM

Pac Man should get a lawyer. He should call Justin Birkle.

37. Steel Dahn Sahth says: Oct 12, 2010 6:55 AM

Simple mistake. This ex-con thug is being confused with another ex-con thug with the same name.
    Non story. Congrats to the police for holding him long enough to ensure that they didn’t release the wrong ex-con thug to the public.

38. Nuckinfutz says: Oct 12, 2010 7:57 AM

If Pacman hadn’t acted “belligerent and combative,” perhaps the officer might have heard the dispatcher’s claim that there was no warrant.
    Sometimes you reap what you sow.

39. Igottz5onit says: Oct 12, 2010 8:08 AM

@ tjack
    Talk to me when you actually understand what the word relevant means.

40. kristoff says: Oct 12, 2010 9:07 AM

not a fan of pacman at all,but those cincinnati cops r a bumch of losers(maybe we shld call them mini pacmans wit guns) who just want to have there names in the paper for takn down a athlelete 4 anything they can dig up.

41. Hollywood26 says: Oct 12, 2010 9:22 AM

I have a $40,000 check that shows how being calm is sooooo beneficial when being detained by someone who sees “just another negro” Of course along with the check PG county police (MD) also fractured my collar bone as they slammed me to the ground as I asked what I was being stopped for. So after feeling and hearing my collar bone crack I get the whole “we have a report of a stolen car that matched your description” (of course people always steal ORANGE Land Rovers don’t they)? They proceed to search my truck including tearing out my seats because they “smell marijuana” even as i tried to describe the bidi that I was smoking and telll them where the pack is so they can see it’s not weed at all. The situation abruptly shifted to “I’m sorry Sir and Mistakes happen, we’re just trying to do our job” when my Uncle who is a State Police Commander rolled up. The end result was a fractured collar bone and a hefty check for the indignity of it all.
    I won’t say all cops, but some, have become so programmed to assume that young black men have done some crime that they tend to prejudge, and in so doing miss out both on more opportunities to gain community respect as well as a chance to capture real criminals that they disregard in their pursuit of “the usual suspects”

42. jmac1013 says: Oct 12, 2010 9:40 AM

Can someone tell me what the police should have done differently? The warrant was for a person of the same name? So the police detained him. How were they to know that pacman wasn’t the adam jones with the warrant.
    This is the same situation with the do not fly list. If you share the same name as someone on the Do Not Fly list then you’re not getting on any plane without some investigation to verify you’re not the person on the list.

43. tdot_steel says: Oct 12, 2010 10:14 AM

I am amused by the comments from what I will for arguments sake say are mostly Caucasian posters. I am black, live in Canada, work for the Govt and my wife works for the courts. Although I have lived in Canada all my life I have spent considerable time in the U.S…..in fact most of my high school summers were spent in the Bronx and Brooklyn. I currently reside in a comfy suburban setting in Ontario.
    Regardless of city, state, province and/or country, I have experienced racial profiling and am truly disappointed that most Americans continue to deny the prominence and effect of this practice. We here in Canada acknowledge its presence and attempt to develop a truly multi-cultural society. My wife is a court reporter and sees the impartiality on a daily basis. I have been thrown thru a pane glass window by the police for for fitting the profile of “someone black and wearing a baseball cap”. I have been denied entry into the US by an ignorant customs officer because I had the audacity to respond to her inappropriate and offensive comments although I had proper documentation and produced Govt ID. Most of my black friends, myself included, have been stopped countless times while driving without reasonable cause. During one of these impromptu stops two of our Caucasian friends were passengers in the vehicle and happened to be more irate at the situation than the “brothers”. The police approached the vehicle with guns drawn, checked glove compartments, broke open cigarettes looking for Mary Jane and questioned the validity of the registration. The vehicle belonged to the drivers mother (same last name). We were detained for 1/2 without a valid reason for the stop. The white passengers had never experienced a situation like this in their life and were silent. To a man the three blacks had been thru this before and knew the drill.
    My point in all of this, society has for too long accepted this practice as normal. So whether it is Adam “Pacman” Jones, Dr. Henry Gates, Ryan Moats (Houston Texans), Shawn Lee (S.D. Chargers) or Joe Public/Rasheed Williams it is undeniable that whites view these incidents quite differently and continue to deny the effects on the pschye of Black America. In Pacman’s and the Cinci PD’s case fairness in not an option.

44. Wonka 2 says: Oct 12, 2010 10:17 AM

Funny, the Cincinnati Bengals are an unfortunate mistake as well.

45. FinFan68 says: Oct 12, 2010 10:38 AM

When a famous black man gets handcuffed somebody ALWAYS says it was racist and there are several of those somebodies that posted above. The police made a mistake and acknowledged it. Pacman was belligerent and combative (shocking considering his pristine history) so he will naturally be cuffed. Mistakes happen but when you act like a jackass you deserve what you get. It is obvious the officer never heard the dispatcher until he was in the car on the way to the station. That is why Pacman was released when he was…car radios work better than handhelds. It was a mistake and was corrected. End of story.

46. greenmeattruck says: Oct 12, 2010 10:41 AM

he should change his name like his teamate Ochostin… cinco

47. Mateo says: Oct 12, 2010 10:48 AM

(I got held up for 30 minutes for a minor traffic ticket….. while the cops tried to play Columbo with me. I don’t know that they are many that are racist… just too many jackasses.)
    @Kevin…
    You are talking about a totally different situation. I live in Cincinnati and have for most of my life. It has been documented by the national media, and by the coroners office the violence against some minorites by SOME police officers. There are 2 incidents which spawned riots in 2000, where 2 black men where killed by police officers under questionable circumstances. Not all police are bad, we all know. But there has been a longstanding history with the Cincinnati Police.
    Now Adam should take the moral high ground and not press charges or sue. This is a chance for him to use a potential PR nightmare to complete reform his image. I don’t understand why people won’t let him be able to change his life and learn from his mistakes. Do you know how many celebrities have made mistakes and we have forgiven them? Hell, Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan are in jail every other day….with drugs on their person…do they ever get handcuffed and detained? NO…they don’t even spend a full night in jail. I don’t what the answer is, but I know that he deserves the chance to change or self-destruct without this kind of treatment!

48. SCole025 says: Oct 12, 2010 11:08 AM

“Wonka 2 says:
    October 12, 2010 10:17 AM
    Funny, the Cincinnati Bengals are an unfortunate mistake as well.”
    _____________
    Congratulations idiot, you were only a day late with this comment. Recommendation: read what the people before you have posted to make sure that you don’t say the same thing. That joke wasn’t any funnier the second time around.
    “IckeyShuffled says:
    October 11, 2010 8:20 PM
    Marv Lewis calls the Cincinnati Bengals’s season so far “an unfortunate mistake”.”

49. Danwhitmer says: Oct 12, 2010 11:31 AM

Police Chief : “We are extreamly sorry for the events that took place last night, Whenever we see a member of the Bengals we assume they have done something wrong and hold them until proven innocent…… it just makes our job easier”

50. hineswardcriesafterfumbling says: Oct 12, 2010 11:55 AM

Jones didn’t necessarily have to be belligerent and combative for the officer to say he was “belligerent and combative.” Especially since the cop probably knew this Adam Jones was “Pacman” the minute he saw him.

51. Moonunit says: Oct 12, 2010 12:04 PM

I would hope that any police officer would “profile” any driver on a sidewalk, detain and then question them.
    This was not because he was black and on the street. It was because he was a driver on a sidewalk.

52. muchmaligned says: Oct 12, 2010 12:37 PM

@moonunit,
    Sir or ma’am, continuing to argue these details ( of which you have no firsthand knowledge) despite this quote from an “interested” party: “The short story is that quite honestly there was a mistake on the part of the police department,” Cincinnati Police Chief Tom Streicher said, per WLWT. “The entire incident is an unfortunate mistake.” suggests a broad and daunting character flaw in you.
    What is wrong with you?

53. WhoDeySood5 says: Oct 12, 2010 12:43 PM

there is no way this is racist…..he made contact w/a pedestrian on the sidewalk while swerving to avoid another vehicle that pushed him out of his lane…..he stopped on his own accord, checked on the pedestrian and waited for the cops to come to ensure the process was handled properly (ie: no hit and run). He was absolutely cooperating and told the cops his name, upon which time they cuffed him. Think about how humiliating this was for him, Cincy has embraced him and he has embraced us, then this publicly happens inbetween our 2 stadiums in front of all bengals/reds fans…..A man with his past, who has by all accounts turned thing around since the birth of his daughter and 2nd child on the way w/his fiance, has every right to be fired up over this.
    Hope he stays on the right track

54. tdot_steel says: Oct 12, 2010 12:43 PM

To FinFan68
    To experience is to understand.
    Not all incidents where a black man gets handcuffed is a racist. However, as a black man I always wonder with much trepidation whenever a story surfaces. What really happened? Are we receiving all the details? Was the police officer abusing his power. Did the police officer club the “suspect” before he became belligerent? Did the suspect refuse to exit the vehicle for fear of being riddled with bullets?
    We all know the litany of stories of blacks killed by the cops due to mistaken identity or minor incidents. Why are these incidents not happening to Caucasians in their own communities? Why am I stopped for driving a Lexus in my hood, yet Mariusz is free to drive thru Soundview projects undisturbed……albeit at his own risk.
    There is a mistrust for the police in the community.
    If you were stopped once you may not act “uppity”. However, after several times you may get bit agitated.
    Amadou Diallo, Sean Bell, Patrick Dorismond, Johnny Gammage, Abner Louima, Ousmane Zongo, Oscar J. Grant III, Irvin Landrum Jr., Kevin Alexander Brown, Deandre Brunston, Eleanor Bumpurs, Nathaniel Jones, Roger Owensby, Jr., Lorenzo Collins, Nathaniel Levi Gaines, Al Hixon, Aiyana Jones, Timothy Stansbury, James Brissette, Ronald Madison, Kathryn Johnston, Marlon Neal, Sophia Cook, Lester Donaldson, Kendra James, Fouad Kaady, etc
    Google these names these are not coincidences…..get your head out of the sand.

55. tdot_steel says: Oct 12, 2010 12:48 PM

It is all fun and games for most of the posters until you are pulled out of your car, handcuffed with a gun pointed at your head for making an illegal right turn…..because you fit the description.

56. CincyAllDaWay says: Oct 12, 2010 2:02 PM

@moonunit – The police obviously made an egregious error in detaining him (in my case only I made any egregious errors). After the obvious mistaken identity, Pacman could only have helped or hurt his chances of going home quickly. His actions hurt him. There is no need to verbally attack a police officer, because that will get you nowhere.
    ============================
    Your name suits you to a T because you are out there dude! While I agree that there’s no need to verbally attack a police officer, there’s also no need to roll over and take in the ass when you know your innocent! What person with a warrant out for their arrest that you’ve ever known or even heard about would stand around a traffic accident rendering aid to a victim and wait for the cops to show up?? This should have been the cop in questions first clue! And I’m not buying the BS of not hearing the call from dispatch. All cops carry radios with them when not in the car. My guess is Adam was pissed over the ordeal and in true Cincy cop fashion, he decided to be a prick about it and chose to hold him a while anyway! This jerk cop should be suspended for this shit! How do you not make SURE you have the right guy before handcuffing him and putting him on display for the whole city to see! I hope Adam sues the ass off of Cincy’s PD! They deserve it!!

57. FinFan68 says: Oct 12, 2010 6:15 PM

@ tdot_steel:
    Nice “I’m the victim” mentality. I doubt very seriously that anyone who is FULLY cooperative will have to endure any of the abuses you cite. “However, as a black man I always wonder with much trepidation whenever a story surfaces. What really happened? Are we receiving all the details? Was the police officer abusing his power. Did the police officer club the “suspect” before he became belligerent? Did the suspect refuse to exit the vehicle for fear of being riddled with bullets?” Why assume that the police are abusive? Look at these two questions you posted: Why are these incidents not happening to Caucasians in their own communities? Why am I stopped for driving a Lexus in my hood, yet Mariusz is free to drive thru Soundview projects undisturbed……albeit at his own risk. By stating “albeit at his own risk” you have actually given the answer you seem to be searching for. You admit there is some higher level of risk or threat. Bottom line: do not break the law. If you are stopped and didn’t do anything…do not act like a jackass. Mistakes can and do happen but calm and cooperative people do not have this stuff happen to them…the ones that want to make a stand usually exhibit threatening behavior and it is swiftly dealt with by the police…albeit more zealously than necessary on a few occasions.