Packers-Redskins one-liners

Packers rookie TE Andrew Quarless, pressed into service after injuries to Jermichael Finley and Donald Lee, caught four passes for 51 yards and put the Pack in position to win in regulation a game that they lost, 16-13, in overtime.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy wasn’t happy with the performance of the passing game, which could be struggling due to the chronic struggles of the running game.

After dropping four passes, receiver Donald Driver put both hands on the blame; “I’ll be the first one to say that I lost the game,” Driver said.

K Mason Crosby would disagree with Driver.

Green Bay’s two highest offensive yardage outputs of the season came in the team’s two losses.

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan had ample praise for his players:  “Unless you have a lot of character on your team, you usually don’t win
games like that. . . .   As I told our football team, I’m very proud of the way
they handled themselves for the way they kept on fighting.  No finger
pointing.  At any point in the game, you could tell that they were all
going in the same direction.”

When it comes to talking big, Redskins rookie WR Anthony Armstrong already sounds like a grizzled veteran:  “When I jumped, I was floating,” Armstrong said.  “I was WAY up
over that safety.  He was down at my knees, man.”

Redskins S LaRon Landry has thrived in the new 3-4 defense;
“Really I don’t even think about last year,” Landry said.  “Last
year is non-existent to me.  But as far as this year . . . this defense
fits me well
, enables me to fly around and play my style of play, what I
like to do.”

The Packers’ offensive linemen did a lot of blinking-and-missing of Redskins LB Brian Orakpo.

With WR Devin Thomas gone, Brandon Banks did well returning punts and kickoffs, a week after being promoted from the practice squad; “I kind of grew up out there,” Banks said.  (Not to be confused with QB Donovan McNabb’s more common refrain:  “I kind of threw up out there.”)

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
30 Responses to “Packers-Redskins one-liners”
  1. Redskinfansince82 says: Oct 11, 2010 11:46 AM

They would have lost this game last year for sure. Shannahan is smart man he uses his talent instead of collecting it. You have to say their off season conditioning is playing a big roll in there play also. They play tougher than there opponents and knock people out left and right. I can’t tell you how many times they made somebody pay who made a play and they get up limping or not at all. lol…HAIL!

2. bingnazzi12 says: Oct 11, 2010 11:47 AM

“Packers coach Mike McCarthy wasn’t happy with the performance of the passing game, which could be struggling due to the chronic struggles of the running game”
    They ran the ball pretty well yesterday actually (157 yds, 9.2 yds/rush). So I don’t think that’s a valid excuse. In fact, I would argue that they should have committed more heavily to the run (only 17 attempts)

3. Switch1 says: Oct 11, 2010 11:50 AM

They beat a good team, Kudos to the Redskins. Who would ever imagine the Redskins would be 3-2 and the Cowboys 1-3. I’m sure everybody thought the reverse~

4. Favre's Hamartia says: Oct 11, 2010 11:57 AM

Kudos Washington fans, you guys found a way to win. Thanks for being classy in victory – that’s something in very short supply on PFT. Good luck the rest of the season!

5. crazyguy says: Oct 11, 2010 11:59 AM

Good game Skins. You stayed in it when you could have dumped. I hate the Pack had so many injuries but back ups are supposed to step up. That is why they get paid.
    Hopefully the Pack’s injuries yesterday aren’t too bad and we can rebound and beat the Dolphins. Just want to get to the buy week without our practice squad as our starters. :)

6. Bob Loblaw says: Oct 11, 2010 12:01 PM

“They would have lost this game last year for sure.”
    You mean last year Mason Crosby’s game-winning FG attempt would have been 8 inches to the right?
    I credit Mike Shannahan with having the ball hit to goalpost.
    Or maybe luck plays a part. Last year the Redskins weren’t lucky (look at the Saints game), and this year they are.

7. gurnblanston says: Oct 11, 2010 12:07 PM

Hail to the Redskins! Toughness, determination, young players making plays, older players like Moss, McNabb and Cooley hanging tough and making plays in spite of three “whack” quarters to use Moss’ phrase. That was a supposed Super Bowl-caliber team in the Packers. Yet, they went home licking their many wounds uncertain about their future.
    The Redskins are certain about their future under Shanahan and Allen. Tough players, constant effort and a one-way bus ticket out of town if you can’t get with the program. (See ya, Devin, it’s been great.) I hope Haynesworth returns from the memorial for his brother with a renewed perspective on life. If he plays as he can yesterday, the Packers don’t even get to 13. Come back, big boy, and get with the program.
    The year-long training camp continues. The results keep coming. Hail!

8. Rodgers4President says: Oct 11, 2010 12:15 PM

bingnazzi12 says:
    October 11, 2010 11:47 AM
    ————————————————-
    You have to take into account that 71 of those yards came on one run. They ran the ball out of shotgun very well, but whenever they lined up in a two-back set they seemed to lose yards.
    I think it is a valid excuse because the running game is not a threat. When a team lines up in a traditional two-back set and the defense knows that it can shut the run down with a 7 man front then there is no threat.
    The worst part about the Packers having decent running statistics in the game yesterday is that it will validate to Ted Thompson that he was correct in not getting Lynch. He should try to snag Deangelo Williams for a 2nd rounder and give him a contract, but that will never happen.

9. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Oct 11, 2010 12:16 PM

With WR Devin Thomas gone, Brandon Banks did well returning punts and kickoffs, a week after being promoted from the practice squad; “I kind of grew up out there,” Banks said. (Not to be confused with QB Donovan McNabb’s more common refrain: “I kind of threw up out there.”)
    Florio your not funny

10. SCgentleman98 says: Oct 11, 2010 12:17 PM

Man we got some classy Packer Fans on here. That was a great defensive ball game. When the score was only 10-3 at the half I felt that the team still had a shot. Redskins fans didn’t feel that way last year. This team is more ORGANIZED this year. It’s great to watch a game and know before each one that your team has a chance. The NFC this year seems to be wide open this year.

11. AlphaQ2 says: Oct 11, 2010 12:27 PM

Hail to the Skins!!! Man, Clay Matthews is an absolute beast! McNabb went from having less than three seconds in the pocket to being able to whistle dixie back there after Matthews left the game. Also, Rod Woodson gets away with a lot of P.I’s. GB committed about 4 other PI’s that weren’t called. Tough game. GB will bounce back when they start getting some of those starters back. Good Game Packers Fans! Hail!

12. gwinn1952 says: Oct 11, 2010 12:28 PM

Not happy with the passing game…..what about the fact that you went for it on 4 and 1/2 yard instead of the field goal and came away with nothing. FG…..wouldn’t be having this conversation. You’re looking like Chilly going for it on tw0 different games on 4th downs instead of FG….Vikings would be 3-0 instead of 1-2. Seems to me we should be putting some blame on the coaches for these two teams.

13. FavretoMoss says: Oct 11, 2010 12:39 PM

Favre’s Hamartia says:
    October 11, 2010 11:57 AM
    =============================
    This from a Packer fan that puts the “ass in class”? Yikes.

14. footballrulz says: Oct 11, 2010 1:05 PM

How about GB’s QB having to tell the coaches they had 12 men on the field. Talk about a Childress move. Time for a new regime in GB–too much talent to be playing this way. Way to hang in there skins. Aikman kept saying best not to let them hang around. Pretty pitiful when a team can’t punch it in from the 1 yard line with 3 tries.
    Congrats to Skins fans.

15. BurgundyAndGreg says: Oct 11, 2010 1:10 PM

first time poster, had to say I was pleasantly surprised with the Packer fan comments above, they are a great team and the fans who post on here seem to be a classy bunch, tough game…. Hail to the Redskins!

16. Ruvell200 says: Oct 11, 2010 1:29 PM

Credit to the Redskins, but let’s get one thing straight. Every year there’s 5 or 6 games where the Pack plays mediocre, uninspired football and the ‘Skins caught them in one. I’m glad the Packers lost, because once again it’s going to take bad losses for this team to wake up.
    I’ll blame MM for that, but not for his playcalling. If Rodgers makes the right throws, receivers get separation and don’t drop 7 balls and our tackles don’t have consistent mental lapses, Rodgers goes for 450 yesterday.
    I’m sick and tired of this team playing entire halves of games looking like they just came from brunch at Perkins.

17. Gray Eagle says: Oct 11, 2010 1:35 PM

I’m a Redskin fan, and have been one since they moved to Washington (yeah, I’m an Old Fart), and I’ve watched the Skins performance go up and down as owners, GMs and coaches changed. Hopefully, we’re on the upswing once more, as the Skins have a decent GM, a no-nonsense coach, and the owner appears to be staying out of the way.
    The Packers? Please notice the Pack has one continuous owner – – the City! And the “owner” has been reasonably effective in selecting GMs and hiring coaches.
    Ownership sets the tone for a team.Green Bay, Rooneys’, Jack Kent Cooke, etc. have been the good ones, while the Bidwells and the Snyders have interfered all too often.
    Maybe that’s why the Packers fans have been civilized?

18. jdskins44 says: Oct 11, 2010 2:04 PM

It was a great game all day!!! of course im very happy with the win, but GB is still a tough team, Finley is a game changer and he went down early, Mathews is the one of the best in the league at his position also out with an injury.. Yesterday was a well fought game, and the Redskins won because they were the more physical team, they came out and smacked the packers in the mouth and thats how we got the win!!!
    HTTR

19. IBleedDCRed says: Oct 11, 2010 2:28 PM

“Or maybe luck plays a part. Last year the Redskins weren’t lucky (look at the Saints game), and this year they are”
    I hate to tell you this, but luck isn’t a real thing. I know most of us figured that out as children, but there are the few who will still use “lucky” as a honest excuse. The Skins played a tough, good game yesterday. Hail!

20. bingnazzi12 says: Oct 11, 2010 4:18 PM

“They would have lost this game last year for sure. Shannahan is smart man he uses his talent instead of collecting it.”
    Really, he almost lost the game by not running the ball on that 3rd and 2 with a minute thirty left in the game. This would have either forced the packers to use there last timeout or run 40 seconds off the clock, thats if they didnt get the first down. Instead they ran a 5 wide shotgun play and ran 4 seconds off the clock and allowed GB to keep that timeout in their back pocket. Thank goodness Croby’s kick bounced off the upright or you wouldnt be saying this.

21. PriorKnowledge says: Oct 11, 2010 4:20 PM

I am always amazed when teams go for it on 4th and goal. They get 3 tries and fail, and somehow the 4th try will be magic? Do you know how disheartening it is to march down the field and come away with nothing? Do you know how heroic it feels to stop the opps on 4th and goal?
    The stupidity of going for it on 4th and goal is similar to the stupidity of calling a timeout with a few seconds before the 2 minute warning. You use a timeout and save a few seconds before the 2 minute warning rather than use it later and save 30 seconds. But coaches keep doing it and even the booth thinks it is a good idea.
    And then there is the late game decision of whether to kick away or try an onside kick. If the opps can run out the clock if they get a first down, it does not matter where on the field they are. Try the onside kick as that will give you two chances to get the ball rather than one.
    Maybe more math majors should be coaches.

22. bingnazzi12 says: Oct 11, 2010 4:34 PM

“Also, Rod Woodson gets away with a lot of P.I’s. GB committed about 4 other PI’s that weren’t called.”
    Rod Woodson retired 7 years ago….

23. WaffleStomp says: Oct 11, 2010 4:59 PM

Where are all of the viking trolls? Is it the first of the month already?
    Though I am extremely disapointed with yesterday’s results, I have to give the Skins credit for hanging in there and pulling out a hard fought win.
    Matthews leaving with an injury was a game changer. Christ, is our pass rush anemic without him.
    Dropped passes, missed kicks and a horrible Rodgers pass in OT helped sink us but Washington came up with the big playswhen they need to.
    Good luck with the rest of your season Redskin fan. Who knows, maybe we’ll meet up again sometime this year. If we can just get some of our guys out of the hospital ward.

24. Gravy Makes Sconnies Fatter says: Oct 11, 2010 5:11 PM

let me join everyone else in congratulating the skins on a great game.

25. FMWarner says: Oct 11, 2010 5:46 PM

Maybe more math majors should be coaches.
    ______________________________________
    If more math majors were coaches, these things would happen MORE often, because they’re excellent ideas.
    Going for it on 4th and goal from only a yard or two away always makes more sense than kicking a field goal. The odds favor a TD on any one play from that distance, and the extra 4 points more than make up for the relatively small disparity between the chance of a TD and the chance of a FG.
    Calling a timeout with only seconds to go before the two minute warning isn’t about saving time. It’s about saving a play. When you call timeout with say, 2:02 remaining, the point is not to save 2 seconds. The point is to get off an extra play that you wouldn’t have by letting the clock run to the two minute warning.

26. Hattiesburg CrocShots says: Oct 11, 2010 6:14 PM

So I made a comment about how Matthews was held in the end zone after the failed 4th down conversion, which should have resulted in a safety and GB ball back, and a comment about how the Desmond Bishop PI call was bunk as they got their feet tangled, but it didn’t go through? What gives?

27. Beer Cheese Soup says: Oct 11, 2010 7:03 PM

Congratulations to the Redskins and their fans for the hard fought victory.
    To hell with all of the Ted fans that want to make excuses about injuries or anything else they feel will absolve their hero for his failure to build depth.
    All teams face injuries. Good teams overcome them, bad teams do not. The ‘Skins were clearly the better team yesterday.

28. FreddieBaby says: Oct 12, 2010 8:50 AM

So, this is the team that will represent the NFC in the Super Bowl? Puhleeze.

29. Now That's Funny says: Oct 12, 2010 9:27 AM

Gray Eagle you must be a really old fart the Redskins move to D.C. in 1937 can you say LIAR!

30. iwishiwasindc says: Oct 16, 2010 12:40 PM

I have enjoyed this thread…classier than SOME teams’ fans! Gray Eagle could indeed have been a ‘Skins fan for 73 years. I watched Yankees in a little chair between my parents when I was 5 and remember all the great games I’ve seen from 1952 on…Cousey, Gifford, Larson, Y.A, etc. We’re seasoned fans, not senile!!! Hail!