Bumbling Broncos defense loses two key pieces

Give Josh McDaniels credit: He can coach up a passing game out of seemingly spare parts.  What he hasn’t been able to do in Denver is improve a mediocre defense.

Broncos are below average in nearly every defensive stat, especially in yards-per-play allowed against the pass and run.  Things only threaten to get worse.

As we mentioned in one-liners Tuesday, starting outside linebacker Robert Ayers will miss the next six weeks with a broken foot, according to Mike Klis of the Denver Post.  Safety Brian Dawkins will also miss at least two games with a strained right knee ligament.

With Elvis Dumervil out for the season, that is a lot of talent missing off a defense that looked average at best to begin with.  At 2-3, the Broncos face a tough matchup against the Jets Sunday in Denver.  They host the Raiders and then head to London to play the 49ers before a Week Nine bye.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “Bumbling Broncos defense loses two key pieces”
  1. Bronco4life says: Oct 12, 2010 10:25 AM

What’s the point of even posting this when everyone already knew about it a day ago?
    A decent journalist or reporter or whatever you are would at least comment on the situation of our backups. In this case, McBath will be out as well. Also, we now have only two healthy outside linebackers not including the practice squad. While Haggan played outside last year, it would be tough to get him to switch back considering our backup inside LB is Woodyard who is out as well. What are we going to do? Thats what I expect you guys to try to tell me. Not just what everyone with half a brain for football already knows.
    If you’re going to put in half the effort, don’t put in any at all.

2. ChicagoJo says: Oct 12, 2010 10:37 AM

exactly why McDaniels should be an offensive coordinator, and not a head coach.
    another reason: players, and people in general, seem to hate him.

3. FrankfordYellowJackets says: Oct 12, 2010 10:46 AM

Randy Moss is on the Vikings now.

4. ricebowl says: Oct 12, 2010 10:52 AM

If you already knew all this stuff, why did you read the article? Just to get on and complain that you already knew this stuff? Sweet life you have.
    I doubt everyone knew about this a day ago, I know I didn’t. Probably only Broncos fans knew this news, not everyone else.

5. DT58HOF says: Oct 12, 2010 10:56 AM

they could try some of the guys the Chiefs used in the last herm edwards year, that are available: Rocky Boiman, Pat Thomas, Donnie Edwards come to mind.

6. Cecil says: Oct 12, 2010 10:56 AM

Ha, knew this was Rosenthal as soon as I saw “bumbling.”
    I know your boyfriend Cutler has you soured on Denver, Rosie. But I’m going to go ahead and say that you probably haven’t watched three quarters’ worth of their “bumbling.”
    They lost to a better team last Sunday, but the Sunday before that put the clamps on one of the best rushing attacks in the league. Your continued efforts to make everyone and everything in Denver sound like it’s accompanied by the Benny Hill theme are kinda pathetic.

7. KnuckleBucket says: Oct 12, 2010 10:57 AM

Bronco4life says:
    October 12, 2010 10:25 AM
    If you’re going to put in half the effort, don’t put in any at all.
    __________________________________
    Last time I checked, this site was called “Pro Footbal Talk.com”, not “how does my team fix a crappy defense.com”……..I’m just saying.

8. Auz says: Oct 12, 2010 11:12 AM

@Chicago Jo-”…another reason: players, and people in general, seem to hate him.” I would have to disagree with you. I happen to think that he is damn good football coach. He has some awesome training camps and I am one of many who positively believe in the direction he is taking the team. Denver’s first 6 games are/were rough. Give them some credit for hanging tough against the Colts and beating the Titans.

9. allinSTACKme says: Oct 12, 2010 11:12 AM

ChicagoJo, the players that hate him are already gone. Speaking of which, how is Capt. Red Zone Int doing for ya? If you would actually watch the games, rather than talk out of your fat ass, you would see that players actually seem to like him and are willing to play hard for him.

10. BuckyBadger says: Oct 12, 2010 11:14 AM

The defense isn’t as bad as they are making it sound here. They have played a tough start to the schedule as well. When you only have played five games and barely anyone has any common opponents its better to assess what is happening on the field than it is on a stat sheet.

11. TheAFCWestMess says: Oct 12, 2010 11:26 AM

Bronco4Life; Really? This is a discussion blog. It doesn’t matter when in the week they’re bringing up anythinng on any matter. It doesn’t matter what Kurt or Gregg say when they post something that you don’t like because it is thier opinion! Get real man.

12. Bronco4life says: Oct 12, 2010 12:15 PM

Point taken. I guess people read this site to replace ESPN and not to compliment it. I’ve read this site for years because I enjoy the opinions of the writers, the suggestion of ways to fix problems, and in the case that they break a story. But sure, I guess its good for people to see two guys are out when it was on ESPN mid day yesterday.

13. smithopher says: Oct 12, 2010 12:21 PM

Bronco4life – what the Broncos are gonna do is lose miserably to the Jets next week, possibly even lose to the Raiders the following week. Those injuries on defense, when the defense allows a lot of yards in the first place, means the Jets will rush for almost 300 yards and throw for 300 with 3 TDs. Raiders might be able to take advantage too, they did beat the Chargers.

14. ZimmyMan says: Oct 12, 2010 12:50 PM

I’m sure glad the Donkeys are in the AFC West.
    The Chiefs will , at a minimum split with them ,
    and in all likelyhood pound them twice

15. Bronco4life says: Oct 12, 2010 1:00 PM

Yea not gonna be good for us that’s for sure. At least 3td but not passing. Probably 3 rushing tds. Did you see Percy knock revis on his ass though. Or watch him get beat by camarillo or an average route. Good stuff.

16. Bronco4life says: Oct 12, 2010 1:03 PM

17. dare2bme says: Oct 12, 2010 8:31 PM

I’m going to stick with supporting McDaniels, but I don’t want to.
    Can’t blame the head coach for the injuries, but those aren’t the biggest causes for concern.
    McDaniels has made 2 tremendously bad decisions, in my absolutely worthless opinion:
    1. Changing the running scheme instead of learning it (which required a complete revamp of a previously solid O-line). I really believe he did this as an answer to Denver’s historic red-zone problems, but it hasn’t paid any dividends at all. The Broncos still S-U-C-K in the red-zone.
    2. Allowing hacks to continue to run the defense. Defense can do very well with less talent than the offense they’re playing against, as long as they are well coached and disciplined. The team doesn’t seem to have either. The only coach that did WORSE for the Broncos than tie-dye was Rhodes. Singletary will be looking for a DC job at year’s end…take him. He’ll be far better at that than he is as HC. I believe the reason for all the crappy assistants is Josh’s fear that he can be easily replaced by a good Coordinator.
    McD can’t switch back to a zone-blocking, smaller O-line now, but he can get that power-O working – it might require a new O-line coach. Does he have any more brothers? j/k
    What will it take to fix the anemic running game and get an active defensive front? It might require 2-3 new assistant coaches…I’m thinking Barone, Martindale and Nunnely need to go.