Jim Schwartz says Lions didn't try to run it up on Rams

Now I’ve heard everything: The Detroit Lions are being accused of running up the score on a hapless opponent.

With less than 10 minutes to play in a game the Lions would win 44-6, Detroit called for a trick play, with running back Jahvid Best throwing a pass. The pass fell incomplete, but Lions coach Jim Schwartz has been asked this week whether calling it was an attempt by the Lions to humiliate the Rams.

Schwartz says that as long as the Rams were still playing hard (“I didn’t see any white flags being waved on their sideline”) the Lions were going to keep playing hard, too.

“Well, I’ve been trying to get that called for about four weeks now,” Schwartz said on WXYT-FM, per the Detroit Free Press. “We’ve run it a bunch in training camp and things like that, and it was on our must-call list in this game. A lot of times when you do get a lead in a game it gives you an opportunity to freewheel a little bit to set some things up for the future. We have run that toss-sweep a bunch of times with Jahvid Best and teams were cheating on it. Teams were attacking and disregarding the coverage and if we want to keep running that play, keep being effective, we need to keep them honest.”

If this were high school football, I’d say that considering the feelings of overmatched opponents is a valid concern, and a coach shouldn’t call a trick play with his team leading by four touchdowns in the fourth quarter.

But in the NFL it’s different. If Schwartz thinks calling for Best to throw a pass will keep future opponents honest when Best has the ball, then the Lions were right to call it. Even if they didn’t need it to beat the Rams on Sunday.

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
51 Responses to “Jim Schwartz says Lions didn't try to run it up on Rams”
  1. Jeaaff Jeaaff Jeaaff says: Oct 12, 2010 1:03 PM

2. lars thorwald says: Oct 12, 2010 1:06 PM

When was the last time anyone accused the Lions of running up the score…….
    Even if they did, who could blame them?

3. wydok says: Oct 12, 2010 1:06 PM

Running up the score is a lame thing to complain about. You play 60 minutes. Even if that means you win the game 60-0.

4. umrguy42 says: Oct 12, 2010 1:07 PM

Hey, I’m a Rams fan, and I think Mike Martz’ answer to whether he was running up the score on the Saints in a game in 2000(?) is perfect for this as well: “I thought the objective was to win the game.” (or words to that effect).

5. Bigbluefan says: Oct 12, 2010 1:09 PM

Try it this week
    Got two words for you
    Osi and Tuck
    See you in the back feild

6. FaulkAnA says: Oct 12, 2010 1:09 PM

It’s priceless. This must feel good, huh Lions fans?
    You deserve it.
    Schwartz was asked about running up the score be whom?
    Crying about the Lions running up the score on you is like crying to your drill sergeant that your little sister is picking on you.

7. HomoforRomo says: Oct 12, 2010 1:10 PM

Sure he ran it up on them, but seeing as this is the first time in years the Lions have been in a position to run up the score on anyone, they should get a pass.

8. Roger the Dodger says: Oct 12, 2010 1:12 PM

I attended the local high school game on Friday. The local team was 5-0 and ranked 3rd in the state at their level; the opponent, an in-district foe, was 0-5. Both teams dressed about 30 kids, including 2 opponents who were also in the marching band.
    The game was over before kickoff. Our guys were just bigger, faster, more skilled. It was obvious from the warmups. By the end of the 1st quarter, there was no doubt. 28-0, as I recall. 49-0 at halftime. Our guys could have kept the pedal down, and likely scored 100 points.
    But they didn’t. They started playing the scrubs, tuba players, cheerleaders, concession stand workers, that nerdy kid from Chemistry class. Bear in mind that with 30 dressed players, 22 of them are starters… So, there wasn’t a lot of bench depth to work with.
    My point is this – the opponent was outclassed, our team knew it, and they did the right thing.
    In the NFL in this age of parity, no one is outclassed. They might not be considered serious contenders to defeat a top team, but they’re also not to be taken lightly. Any team can score at the drop of a hat. And everyone on the field is getting paid extraordinary amounts to give their best efforts. They’re not kids with self-esteem issues.
    I’d be concerned about run-ups if we were talking 84-6, and still passing. Not 44-6. And not the Detroit Lions, in almost any case…

9. SopoagaIupatiLikeIts1999 says: Oct 12, 2010 1:12 PM

Once you attempt an onside kick at the beginning of a game, all bets are off. After reading some of the ignorant comments coming from Rams fans during the week, the only regret I have is that my boys didn’t put up 60.
    Sunday @ New Meadowlands is going to be a huge test for the Lions. While I’m not overly optimistic about our chances, I would love to see them play some inspired football and do what good teams do : 1. Win on the road and 2. Build off of momentum.
    G-Men have been outstanding as of late.
    GO LIONS!

10. Lucky5927 says: Oct 12, 2010 1:12 PM

I am pretty sure the score was already RUN UP at that point. Rams were no match for a Lions team who had a lot of frustration to release.

11. Jack1 says: Oct 12, 2010 1:13 PM

WTF…the Lions have every damn right to run up the score. With their luck, they would have found a way to loose it if they took their foot off the gas!
    Good job Lions…it’s about damn time!!

12. doe22us says: Oct 12, 2010 1:14 PM

I would too if my wins are few and far between

13. certaincoachditka says: Oct 12, 2010 1:15 PM

Lions are always running up the score all the way up to 3 short of winning.

14. Everybody Loves Mike Florio says: Oct 12, 2010 1:19 PM

HomoforRomo says:
    October 12, 2010 1:10 PM
    _________
    They should get a pass regardless. It’s not the offense’s job to stop itself. That’s the job of the opposing defense, & if they don’t want the other team scoring 56 points, they need to prevent it from happening.

15. JimmySmith says: Oct 12, 2010 1:21 PM

How does it feel to be a Rams fan and accuse the Lions of running up the score? Lower than snake s$it I would imagine.

16. Dryheave says: Oct 12, 2010 1:21 PM

…..NO!….dat no good…My mama always teech me play nice no run up de scowah….teams dat run up scowah no good……my mama teech me dat….I go back to trailer now

17. Saints-America'sTeam says: Oct 12, 2010 1:22 PM

Look, give it to the Lions for goodness sake. They NEEDED to run this score up and who the frack cares. If they were playing us and we were getting beat I would expect a team who hasn’t won a game this season but was finally getting some points to practice getting more. Go Lions!

18. OJPimpson says: Oct 12, 2010 1:27 PM

Bigbluefan : your gonna be in the backfield ? I’ll keep an eye out for you

19. RamsFku-up says: Oct 12, 2010 1:27 PM

Im a Ramsfan and i see know problem with running up the score. Regardless of what the score is, u play to score for 4 qtrs.
    I also didnt hear anybody on or with the rams whine about it, so whats the issue??

20. Other Bears says: Oct 12, 2010 1:28 PM

Points Fielded IS a playoff tie-breaker, and if the Lions were to turn it around and be in a position to make the playoffs, it could take a lower-tiered tie breaker to do it. No explanation needed.

21. Gotcha says: Oct 12, 2010 1:28 PM

You play to win the game.

22. Philtration says: Oct 12, 2010 1:30 PM

Lame.
    The Lions have earned a feel good game after what Matt Millen did to them.
    I don’t remember the Lions crying about getting slapped around week after week for years.
    If they can draft a shut down corner and a couple of O lineman to keep Stafford off his back they will actually look like a real live NFL team.
    Good for them.

23. steamrod says: Oct 12, 2010 1:35 PM

# Jeaaff Jeaaff Jeaaff says: October 12, 2010 1:03 PM
    —————————————————-
    I agree, let them have this one. It won’t happen again for a while.

24. Allliiieee says: Oct 12, 2010 1:38 PM

Jeeeez just let the Lions bask in a HUGE victory! Who the hell cares!?

25. PFTiswhatitis says: Oct 12, 2010 1:44 PM

There is no such thing as running up the score. If you cant stop them then you get to live with the outcome.

26. BigAlHeBDMan says: Oct 12, 2010 1:58 PM

Reminds me of that old Disney song (Dumbo) “I be done seen about everything, when I see an elephant fly”!

27. Jack Acid says: Oct 12, 2010 2:07 PM

I’m sure Linehan had NOTHING to do with it ;-)
    As for the Lions being able to run up a score?
    Damn it. Good for the Lions.

28. ramsfan1818 says: Oct 12, 2010 2:17 PM

I’m a Rams Fan and I don’t blame the Lions at all. Good for them.

29. Jack Acid says: Oct 12, 2010 2:22 PM

You know a team has hit new lows when Detroit’s 3rd string QB (Stanton) is in the game for non-injury reasons and is taking a victory knee.

30. Dapollock says: Oct 12, 2010 2:34 PM

Reminds me of my college days to some degree. I didn’t score often, but I’ll be damned if some dope was going to tell me the chick I finally did bang was way too hot for me. Under the circumstances, ignore the critism.

31. Ace613 says: Oct 12, 2010 2:37 PM

Running up the score is such a stupid statement. You PLAY 60 minutes of football and these players get paid plenty of money to do so. Didnt Indy come back from 2-3 touchdowns a couple years ago when there was only about 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter? I am a Pats fan and heard a ton of that nonsense in 2007. Of course then people say, thats why they lost the superbowl and Brady was injured for 2008 cause karma came back on them for running up the score. Give me a break, play the game to the best of your ability for 60 minutes. Plain and simple.

32. Norseman says: Oct 12, 2010 2:52 PM

Last Saturday, the Minnesota Gophers were playing the Wisconsin Badgers. Wisconsin was up by about 26 with six-and-a-half minutes to play. The Wisconsin coach calls for a two point conversion after scoring a TD. Did he seriously think Brewster’s boys were a threat to score 27 points for the win in less than seven minutes? Classless.
    If the game is in hand, coast.

33. Ray says: Oct 12, 2010 2:59 PM

RAMS fan here. I was at the game. My hat’s off to the Lions. They kicked our ass, period!

34. shehawks + retardnals says: Oct 12, 2010 3:07 PM

Good for the Lions and their fans. After the disaster Millen made and left for them, I think they deserve the carefree Sunday feeling of a sweet blowout! It’s good to see them on the rise.
    My Niners have now replaced you in the NFL laughingstock category!

35. JustinG says: Oct 12, 2010 3:07 PM

It’s the Lions. Until they are the Pats of 08, no one is going to care about them running up the score.
    Good for them.

36. taco bill says: Oct 12, 2010 3:09 PM

You guys are so biased. If Belichick does this you’d be demanding he be banned from the NFL Pete Rose style, but this Detroit moron does it and it’s no big deal?

37. shaqter says: Oct 12, 2010 3:15 PM

@ Dapollock says:
    October 12, 2010 2:34 PM
    ————————————————–
    Don’t exaggerate Dapollock…people didn’t tell you that the chick you finally banged was way too hot for you. They told you that it didn’t count because she was way too drunk to know what she was doing…and probably fat.
    That’s a better analogy.

38. odds75to1 says: Oct 12, 2010 3:24 PM

It had been 44 games since the Lions used the old “victory formation”…they probably had a hard time finding it in their playbook, so ran the half back option instead!

39. PriorKnowledge says: Oct 12, 2010 3:28 PM

FaulkAnA says:
    October 12, 2010 1:09 PM
    ….
    That is AWESOME! ROFLMAO

40. Dapollock says: Oct 12, 2010 3:49 PM

@ Dapollock says:
    October 12, 2010 2:34 PM
    ——————– ——————– ———-
    That’s a better analogy.
    ————————
    My sister was not drunk and fat!
    Disclaimer: I don’t have a sister and I didn’t shag her.

41. BigBear123 says: Oct 12, 2010 4:05 PM

They’ve won 3 games in 2+ years and you’re gonna accuse them of running up the score???!! Leave them alone, let them do whatever the hell they want if they get a lead! They’ve earned it, man!

42. Sneki says: Oct 12, 2010 4:06 PM

did anyone ever just think it would be a fun, entertaining play for Lions fans to watch and enjoy? We Lions fans have suffered soooo long that anything the team does to brings smiles to our faces should be applauded!

43. 3 yards and a cloud says: Oct 12, 2010 4:10 PM

@ taco bill
    If you can’t tell the difference between the New England Patriots and the Detroit Lions then kindly remove your head from your arse.
    1) Schwartz is not a moron, he’s the first legitimate shot at a coach the Lions have had since Wayne Fontes
    2) The Lions didn’t really run up the score. Their defense scored the final touchdown and this team finds a way to lose weekly, so I don’t fault them for going full steam for 60 minutes
    3) Belichek and the Patriots are a perennial contender in the league so when they trample cleveland 72-3, people get a little snippy about it
    4) I doubt, highly, that anyone would suggest Belichek should be banned from football in the same manner Pete Rose is banned from baseball. That’s a terrible analogy and re-enforces my point of your head being positioned firmly in your arse.

44. ppdoc13 says: Oct 12, 2010 4:28 PM

this isn’t high school. these guys get paid for a living. they don’t like the score being run up then do something about it and play better defense.

45. tufar says: Oct 12, 2010 4:38 PM

It’s been a while, the last time the Lions ran up the score was in the Coliseum in Rome. It’s strange that were not saying this about the “supposed” power house the Green Bay Packers, or for that matter any other team in the division. Strange happenings in a strange year in the NFL.

46. tjstyles says: Oct 12, 2010 4:44 PM

I am so tired of people complaining about teams being competitive even with a lead. Its a competitive sport, and I would find it more insulting if my opponent let up on me to let me catch up than “run up the score”. Also, the NFL is a business and high scores sell tickets. As a paying customer, I want to see two teams at the highest level of competition for 4 quarters; not until someone gets a 3 TD lead.
    Bottom line, if the Rams wanted the Lions to stop running up the score, they should have played better defense.

47. mwcarolina says: Oct 12, 2010 4:44 PM

they didnt run up the score, i wont get onto this team for scoring, this is NEEDED. The lions havent scored like this in years, they need this offense to click because when Stafford gets back, this team can sneak in some wins.

48. FinFan68 says: Oct 12, 2010 5:17 PM

That is not running up the score…it is ensuring victory at a time when a team can score at almost any time. If you lead by 30+ with 5 minutes left and you throw a bomb or run a fake punt then, yeah, that’s attempting to run up the score. Play for 60 minutes on both sides of the ball. It is the responsibility of the defense to prevent points.

49. RamsFanSince1969 says: Oct 12, 2010 5:24 PM

Rams fan here. You kicked our behinds! Good job. No run up hard feelings here. When Bradford throws a pick, run it to the house. The DB’s salaries are based on stats. You can’t hold back or you don’t get paid. I don’t like that the Rams lost, but the Lions played well. I wish them (Lions) luck going forward. Let’s hope the 49’s go 16 and 0 this year! Same Ol’ sorry azz 49’s!

50. Ponsonby Britt says: Oct 12, 2010 6:16 PM

Schwartz: “A lot of times when you do get a lead in a game it gives you an opportunity to freewheel a little bit to set some things up for the future.”
    I wouldn’t call it running up the score, as the last score for the Lions in that game was a pick-6. They obviously didn’t need to score the final two times, but they needed to do it as preparation for next week vs the NY Football Giants.

51. azlionsfan says: Oct 13, 2010 4:57 PM

I’m still pinching myself this is a topic. If the Lions beat the G-men I am going streaking thru the quad and the gymnasium.