Reebok out, Nike in as NFL uniform supplier

Among the business being done at the NFL’s one-day ownership meeting in Chicago is a coming change in the company that will make the uniforms worn by NFL players.

The league has announced that, as of April 2012, Nike will be the manufacturer of NFL uniforms.  Which means that Reebok is out.

More specifically, Nike will be the “official uniform provider and will produce all on-field apparel including game uniforms and base layer, as well as sideline personnel apparel and fan gear.”

Though the rest of us have to pay for the clothing we wear, the way it works for the NFL is that Reebok now, and Nike later, will pay many millions for the privilege of having their logo appear on every NFL jersey, pants, gloves, wristbands, etc.  And Reebok now, and Nike later, will make millions from the sale of replica and authentic jerseys bearing those logos.

How powerful is the placement of the logo on the NFL jersey?  Several years ago, a Nike commercial featuring Shawne Merriman in uniform clearly displayed the Reebok logo.

Maybe in 2012 Reebok can do a commercial with Merriman wearing a Nike logo.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
35 Responses to “Reebok out, Nike in as NFL uniform supplier”
  1. JDeezy says: Oct 12, 2010 12:26 PM

Praying to someday read, “New Era replaces Reebok as NFL hat supplier.”

2. Everybody Loves Mike Florio says: Oct 12, 2010 12:27 PM

Sounds like a clever way of jacking up the prices more than anything.

3. snccoach says: Oct 12, 2010 12:27 PM

This is great news, I knew that partnership wouldn’t last very long (9 years?). Nike is just a superior brand and better marketers.

4. RavensFreak00 says: Oct 12, 2010 12:29 PM

What I have never understood is why players wear gloves with both Reebok and Nike logos on them.

5. JetsKvetch says: Oct 12, 2010 12:29 PM

Let the Oregonification of the NFL begin!

6. C-Student says: Oct 12, 2010 12:30 PM

its about time they went back to nike. it is the better brand.

7. JAG880 says: Oct 12, 2010 12:36 PM

Does this mean we’re going to get some of those awful Pro Vombat uniforms in the NFL now?

8. Raven Adam says: Oct 12, 2010 12:38 PM

I totally expected Under Armour to become the Uniform supplier.. I hate Nike always have.. I guess I have to change my views..

9. philbirds says: Oct 12, 2010 12:40 PM

I like when John Wall signed his contract with Reebok and he said he was happy because “I used to wear Nike and all that stuff”

10. BleedingSilverAndBlack says: Oct 12, 2010 12:45 PM

Now if only the NBA would drop Adidas for Nike or Reebok that would be sweet.

11. NoLockout2011 says: Oct 12, 2010 12:55 PM

Long story short, Nike was highest bidder. If numbers become pu lic, players have great argument in collective bargaining about the cash cow that the NFL is.

12. ahash513 says: Oct 12, 2010 1:02 PM

Darn it. I wanted the Starter to take it back. Then my Randy Moss Rookie Jersey would be legit again.

13. Gruber74 says: Oct 12, 2010 1:04 PM

Nike – All Fashion. No Function.

14. Bigbluefan says: Oct 12, 2010 1:07 PM

The good news is the outlet stores will be busting with gear when the contract runs out
    Who cares what the label says
    Will an Manning Jersey be that much different with a Swish on it?
    This is a nice money maker for the teams and players as fools will run out and buy Nike gear to replace the reebok gear.

15. chc36 says: Oct 12, 2010 1:08 PM

Actually don’t think the change to Nike will change prices much, I think thats why they didn’t go with under armour, they knew the jerseys would cost to much for the average consumer, teams would t care much but a standard replica jersey would probably go from $80 to $100 if it was UA

16. moolah954 says: Oct 12, 2010 1:15 PM

@JDeezy
    I kinda agree with you i like new Era way more than Nike But Reebok fitted hats kinda fit better i dont know if your a hat wearer like my self New era has the best designs and some of there hats a have a good fit…but Reebok hats always have a good fit even tho the designs were boring.. Nike makes the worst hats that need to stick to the stretch fits and the Velcro backs lol

17. llcoole83 says: Oct 12, 2010 1:15 PM

The jerseys won’t change much because that is up to the team to change. Nike has more pull in college. But there will be some sick sideline gear and gloves and stuff.

18. ike says: Oct 12, 2010 1:20 PM

Makes sense that a US based league would use a US based company for it’s apparel. I always wondered why they were using an English based company for the last few years? I guess it comes down to money.

19. Laxer37 says: Oct 12, 2010 1:25 PM

Those sideline hats Reebok has out right now are a joke. No designer at Nike would ever let those out with their logo on it.

20. Stillerfan says: Oct 12, 2010 1:37 PM

on a side note..thousands of Nike employees rode their bikes home to tell their parents about the great news!

21. hookiedaddy says: Oct 12, 2010 1:46 PM

As a tall guy I hate this, Nike doesn’t cater to big and tall people at all.

22. zygi milf says: Oct 12, 2010 1:54 PM

“Maybe in 2012 Reebok can do a commercial with Merriman wearing a Nike logo.”
    ***
    By 2012, Merriman will be lucky to be playing in the UFL.

23. marktg30 says: Oct 12, 2010 1:58 PM

Hopefully this means EA will lose the only license to make NFL games. Ian Cummings and his posse of ruhtards are ruining that game the longer they have sole possession.

24. jj jones says: Oct 12, 2010 2:02 PM

If they follow the Oregon lead, Nike will be creating 124 different uniform combinations for every NFL team.

25. OLDNFLFAN says: Oct 12, 2010 2:55 PM

Don’t really care. If there’s a lockout or strike in 2011, I’m done with the NFL – Because it’s all about GREED! You can keep whoever makes what for the NFL.
    I already done with the NBA for allowing the conspiracy to happen in Miami!
    I have had enough!

26. bayou says: Oct 12, 2010 3:01 PM

Oh no. Will Vikes and Eagles fan have to rebuy new DRAMATICALLY CHANGED THROW BACK jerserys from there teams championship years…………… …….. oh, nevermind.

27. Scrodge2010 says: Oct 12, 2010 3:08 PM

@Laxer37
    THANK YOU! The current sideline hats look like throwbacks from the early 90′s don’t they?! I am so glad somebody else agrees with me!

28. WienerPoopy says: Oct 12, 2010 3:18 PM

I agree New Era makes a great hat and I wish they had an NFL line out. I think the change to Nike will be a good one overall. I would imagine a slight redesign will be in the works to differentiate between the two brands more so then just the logo.
    Check out Mitchell & Ness hat line. They came out with some new old designs this year (modeled after the Starter hats NFL wore in the early 90′s) along with your basic team logo’s. These hats fit much like New Era’s 59Fifty MLB hats, in my opinion. Go to lids.com M&N site doesn’t have the selection lids has for whatever reason.

29. burntorangehorn says: Oct 12, 2010 3:28 PM

Oh, great. Let’s go with another shoddy athletics brand that succeeds more on marketing and flash than performance or utility, as if that weren’t already the case with Reebok.
    Nike was the brand of shoes we got for free on my team in college. I started buying my own shoes, and even today, I still wouldn’t wear even free Nikes. Too bad the average fan still thinks Nike makes good shoes.

30. Woody Paige says: Oct 12, 2010 3:43 PM

# NoLockout2011 says: October 12, 2010 12:55 PM
    ————————————————–
    NFL Organizations don’t release their financial statistics EXCEPT for the Pack because they’re public.

31. Tdk24 says: Oct 12, 2010 3:47 PM

“OLDNFLFAN says:
    October 12, 2010 2:55 PM
    I already done with the NBA for allowing the conspiracy to happen in Miami!
    I have had enough!”
    You’re better off looking for a new planet then. Greed is what makes this one go ’round!

32. Tdk24 says: Oct 12, 2010 3:51 PM

“The league has announced that, as of April 2012, Nike will be the manufacturer of NFL uniforms. Which means that Reebok is out.”
    Which really means we’ll only have 8 months or so to enjoy them before, you know, the Mayan calender ends……

33. FinsUp says: Oct 12, 2010 3:57 PM

I already done with the NBA for allowing the conspiracy to happen in Miami!
    I have had enough!
    ________________________________
    The conspiracy in Miami? What illegality did the Heat conspire to commit? And with whom did they conspire?
    If you’re talking about a conspiracy between Lebron and Wade (and Bosh )exactly what did they conspire to do that was illegal? If you want to get technical, Cleveland and Toronto traded James and Bosh to Miami for a mother lode of draft picks. What’s illegal about that?
    Since 2007 or so, every move the franchises in Miami, New York, New Jersey, Chicago, and L.A. (Clips) made was to clear cap room for 2010, and EVERYONE knew it. Nobody had a problem with it. Just so happened the Heat scored while the others didn’t.
    It’s going to be AWESOME. Sorry you’re going to miss it.

34. BaltimoreRatBasher says: Oct 12, 2010 4:02 PM

About fricking time!! I didn’t like any of there designs for there fitted hats or there stupid NFL shield that they used. I stopped buying hats for the reason. Reebok has no imagination with there designs. Now we need EA sports to give up the football thing and New Era to start making NFL fitted hats again.

35. JustRay says: Oct 12, 2010 6:56 PM

bayou says:
    October 12, 2010 3:01 PM
    ==================================
    hey idiot, the Eagles do have championships.
    Just because the last one was 1960 & it wasn’t the NFL yet doesn’t mean the history of the team is not there. Championship throw back is the Kelly Greens, but you would know that because your a Saints fan. IDIOT.