Drew Brees says "everything's good"

The defending Super Bowl champs opened the 2009 season displaying dominance.  In 2010, the Saints have been sluggish.

Even though quarterback Drew Brees said last week that the Saints could be undefeated, the truth is that they also could be winless.  Instead, they’re 3-2 and down a tiebreaker to the 4-1 Falcons, who stole a game from the Saints earlier this year.

Asked on Wednesday whether Brees’ performance to date is the result of injury or stress regarding the impending birth of his second child, Brees was concise:  “Everything’s good.”

Brees also compared 2010 to 2007, when the Saints were coming off a season that resulted in the team’s first-ever birth in the NFC title game.

“Expectations were obviously very high going into that ’07 season, just like now, but we got into a situation there where things didn’t start happening for us and we started to press and put way too much pressure on ourselves,” Brees said in comments distributed by the team.  “I think we recognized that and acknowledged that’s what happened back in ’07.  We’re not going to allow that to happen now.  Obviously there is a sense of urgency now because we are not at all satisfied with the way we played offensively, especially here the first five weeks.  We are a lot better than what we’ve shown and we will continue to make improvements and I’m very confident we’ll get right back on track very soon.”

Brees didn’t dismiss the notion that the offensive woes result from a lack of balance, due to injuries to running back Pierre Thomas and Reggie Bush.  “[T]here’s a lot to be said for that,” Brees said.  “It does a lot of things.  Like I said, it sets up opportunities in the passing game.  Number two, it shortens the game and keeps you on the field longer, it keeps your defense off the field longer.  There’s a mindset that goes with rushing the football where we pound these guys and are pounding them, I think there’s something kind of demoralizing to a defense when you’re pounding and pounding.  All of a sudden the fourth quarter rolls around and that’s when you can see the run game play dividends, when you finish a game and keep your defense off the field, prolong drives and it results in more points, all those things.”

The next opportunity to find balance comes on Sunday against the 3-1 Buccaneers.  But with Baby Brees possibly arriving at any moment, there’s an outside chance that Papa Brees may have to bail out on a moment’s notice as kickoff approaches.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
28 Responses to “Drew Brees says "everything's good"”
  1. Gotcha says: Oct 13, 2010 7:32 PM

I only listen to the birthmark.

2. ScottyFargo says: Oct 13, 2010 7:35 PM

Get ready for the payback Aints! You won’t be able to CHEAT the Vikings out of a Super Bowl this time!

3. 90ragtop says: Oct 13, 2010 7:39 PM

“Drew Brees says ‘everything’s good’”
    ****************
    Just once, I want to hear someone like Brees publicly say “everything blows.”

4. philwauke says: Oct 13, 2010 7:41 PM

uhh… won’t happen. The wife already said if she goes into labor on game day she will go it alone.

5. cusoman says: Oct 13, 2010 7:42 PM

The curse lurks in the shadows…. waiting to pounce.

6. NoRingForYou says: Oct 13, 2010 7:43 PM

I think we partied a little too long

7. Kay Bee says: Oct 13, 2010 8:08 PM

I’m a Saints fan, but boy Drew Brees sure is practicing for his post-NFL political career. lol

8. Kay Bee says: Oct 13, 2010 8:32 PM

cusoman says:
    October 13, 2010 7:42 PM
    The curse lurks in the shadows…. waiting to pounce.
    ———————————————–
    Why are you always on Saints related articles? I realize your Vikings suck, but damn…

9. nicalooch76 says: Oct 13, 2010 8:52 PM

Let’s see if the Bucs winning this weekend turns into “Look how much this team has improved!”, or “What has gone so terribly wrong with the Saints to lose to the Bucs!” My bet is the latter, and it’s effing ridiculous.
    I wouldn’t be so cool about this game, Drew. Your team has the same offensive woes as ours. I’m not calling a bucs victory, but it’s definitely an “any given sunday” situation.

10. mikemcsaint says: Oct 13, 2010 8:59 PM

nicalooch76, I think they realize that. The Bucs are always a tough go for the Saints no matter the record. What it ultimately comes down to is turnovers. Like this past week, 14 games, 2 with no turnover advantage, 12 where one team had the TO advantage and 10 won. The two teams that won the TO advantage and still lost the game were the Bills and Panthers. The Saints and Drew have nothing to do with the national media’s perception of the Bucs. If the Bucs win, they’ll start to get their due.

11. Boudin says: Oct 13, 2010 9:25 PM

It’s a Super Bowl baby… Drew’s is arriving early. There’s going to be a lot more showing up soon.
    Keep enjoying those blizzard babies, Minnesota.
    Skool Vikings!

12. cusoman says: Oct 13, 2010 9:26 PM

Kay Bee says: October 13, 2010 8:32 PM
    cusoman says:
    October 13, 2010 7:42 PM
    The curse lurks in the shadows…. waiting to pounce.
    ——————– ——————– ——-
    ———————————–
    I’m a big subscriber of the eye for an eye mentality. I’ll go away when your little paperbagface friends go away from Vikings threads, deal?

13. Boudin says: Oct 13, 2010 9:37 PM

Too bad cusoman isn’t a big suscriber to the “My team has only won one game and that was against the Lions so I should keep my piehole shut” mentality…

14. mikemcsaint says: Oct 13, 2010 9:45 PM

cusoman – you are a jackass! your dumb ass fans started showing up on Saints blogs back in January when we won the NFCCG and haven’t left since. We, Saints fans, have simply been responding and will continue to. Maybe one day the Vikes will be worth a damn.

15. Pervy xx says: Oct 13, 2010 9:59 PM

Way to lay it down cusoman! Bravo… paperbagface is a great way to put it!

16. Vikadontis Rex says: Oct 13, 2010 10:27 PM

The Saints could easily be 1-4.
    The Vikings could easily be 4-0.
    In the end it’s all about finishing, and the Saints have still found a way to win, while the Vikings are finding ways to lose.

17. skinsfan703 says: Oct 13, 2010 10:31 PM

ITS THE MADDEN CURSE….
    If you lose to the Arizona Cardinals everything is not good truse me..

18. PurplePeopleBeaters says: Oct 13, 2010 10:56 PM

————————————————-
    Hahahahahahaha I guess that’s why the Vikings suck so much…because their fans are morons.

19. Saints-America'sTeam says: Oct 13, 2010 11:30 PM

@mikemcsaint
    You hit the jackass on the head. The tone and tenor (and intelligence) of the Saints fans is a stark contrast to the ignorance of the Vikes. Our division fans (Bucs & Falcons particularly) are hard core and passionate but respectful and have at least one foot in reality most of the time. I just don’t get what the whiny-ass Vikings fans get out of their constant wailing about how everyone is against them, that’s why they’re losers.

20. PurplePeopleBeaters says: Oct 14, 2010 12:45 AM

# Vikadontis Rex says: October 13, 2010 10:27 PM
    The Saints could easily be 1-4.
    The Vikings could easily be 4-0.
    ————————————————–
    The Saints could also easily be 4-1.

21. cusoman says: Oct 14, 2010 8:56 AM

Wow, call out the paper bag squad, and they line up for roll call. Hey guys, how’s the season treating ya?

22. Rip says: Oct 14, 2010 9:26 AM

First off, to the ignorant Viking fans – the score of that first game should have been 27-9. 2 missed FG and one dropped TD pass made it what it was, and the Saints O-line shoved your post-mullet redneck and the rest of that D-line around in the 4th quarter pretty badly.
    Second, the Saints will be fine if they would just hold on to the damned ball. Brees was completing 72% of his passes coming into that last game and had 13 dropped balls. His accuracy at that point was easily approaching 80% – and that’s without any of our original 3 starting RBs. Two of those INTs weren’t really his fault, yet another missed FG, and at least 3 dropped balls that would have gone for long yardage (not to mention another freaking fumble) cost us that game.
    Yes, turnovers will get you beat, and that plus missed FGs and mediocre defensive play (though the secondary is pretty decimated with injury at the moment) has been our problem all year. However, if the receivers and the RBs will start holding on to the goddamned ball, the defensive problems will not be much of a factor.
    Suck on that, Queenies.
    —————————————
    ScottyFargo says:
    October 13, 2010 7:35 PM
    —————————————
    It must suck to be a perpetual losing, whiney little bitch. The Saints didn’t cheat, the Vikes just suck. Get ready for 1-4, loser.

23. somesome says: Oct 14, 2010 10:01 AM

24. scra22 says: Oct 14, 2010 10:17 AM

“But with Baby Brees possibly arriving at any moment, there’s an outside chance that Papa Brees may have to bail out on a moment’s notice as kickoff approaches.”
    Someone didn’t watch 60 Minutes, Mike Florio… Brees and his wife said on that program that if she goes into labor while he’s in Tampa (since she is due the day after the game), she is not going to tell him so that he won’t miss the game.
    =====
    “somesome says:
    October 14, 2010 10:01 AM
    dude you are on my FF team, nothing is good, you hardly broke 20 points yet … and three INTs per game arn’t getting it done…”
    3 INTS per game? He has 5 INTS for the entire season.

25. scra22 says: Oct 14, 2010 10:20 AM

nicalooch76 says:
    October 13, 2010 8:52 PM
    =======
    Bucs fan imagining disrespect when there isn’t any to be found? I doubt Drew is “cool” about this game after they lost to the freaking Cardinals. He’s just addressing the rampant rumors that his injury is hampering his play, or that his wife about to give birth is distracting him.

26. clintcooper says: Oct 14, 2010 11:40 AM

Dallas will stomp the Vikings on Sunday. Normally I would root for the Vikings being that I am from Minnesota, but Vikings fans are so horrible and obnoxious I find myself always rooting against their team these days.
    Let me give you a case in point of how horrible Vikings fans are: The other day I attended a yard sale where they were selling an old Packers helmet. I bought the helmet for my Uncle, who is from Wisconsin. While I was walking down the street, someone driving by pulled over, yelled “Go Vikings!!!!!!!!” and then drove off.
    Can you say OBNOXIOUS?

27. PurplePeopleBeaters says: Oct 14, 2010 1:29 PM

# cusoman says: October 14, 2010 8:56 AM
    ————————————————-
    Saints aren’t 1-3, so pretty good.

28. nicalooch76 says: Oct 14, 2010 8:41 PM

mikemcsaint says:
    October 13, 2010 8:59 PM
    ————————————————————————————————————————
    It’s all up in the air, so we’ll see what happens. This season in general has been nothing that the critics thought it would be. Finally someone makes a point that doesn’t involve cursing, insulting the original poster, and contains strong evidence. You make good points and i’m good with that. Hopefully this week’s game is a good one.