Eagles trade Mike Bell to Cleveland for Jerome Harrison

Browns coach Eric Mangini insisted last week that running back Jerome Harrison wasn’t in his doghouse.  Now Harrison isn’t even in Cleveland.

Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com reports that the Eagles have acquired Harrison for Mike Bell in a swap of disappointing running backs.

The move makes plenty of sense, especially for Philadelphia.  They want running backs that can work on the edge and catch the football well.  Harrison makes sense as a backup for LeSean McCoy, just like McCoy once made sense as a backup for Brian Westbrook.

Harrison showed late last season he can be explosive when the conditions are right.

In Bell, the Browns get another power running back to play behind Peyton, albeit one that three teams have given up on since 2007.   Hopefully he brings the right cleats to Cleveland. (Skip to 2:10.  Still classic.)

UPDATE: The Eagles confirmed the deal.

Permalink 66 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
66 Responses to “Eagles trade Mike Bell to Cleveland for Jerome Harrison”
  1. GurpBadesha says: Oct 13, 2010 2:53 PM

ohh this is huge!…
    eagles can trade for cj or ap, they still dont have a chance against the GmeN!

2. Tennessee_Tyrant says: Oct 13, 2010 2:53 PM

… What ? … How has Harrison fallen from grace so quickly ? He looked like the next coming of Campbell last year , though yes it was the latter part of the year where some teams spirits had already been beaten . . . This should be great for Philly, and as for Cleveland…?…. Lets end it on that note …

3. birdmancometh says: Oct 13, 2010 2:55 PM

So….Peyton Hillis is now known simply as “Peyton”? Wow, he’s come a long way.
    Great trade Andy, love it.

4. Critias says: Oct 13, 2010 2:59 PM

Provided Harrison can pass-protect adequately, I think this is an example of a trade that works for both teams. Harrison is a good receiver out of the backfield, something required in the Eagles’ offense, and the Eagles need a third-down back to spell McCoy a bit.
    Bell’s never had great hands, and is a north-south runner only – one cut and go. He did well in Shanahan’s offense in Denver, and in New Orleans coach Payton was smart enough to use Bell in situations where he could succeed. He will certainly do so in Cleveland!
    The Eagles, on the other hand, never modify their plays or playbooks to maximize their personnel, instead opting to force those personnel to fit the scheme. Whether they actually do, or not.

5. Longshot23 says: Oct 13, 2010 3:00 PM

Great trade, wasn’t really feeling Mike Bell.

6. TP7 says: Oct 13, 2010 3:02 PM

Like the move as an Eagles fan, however, if Shady keeps producing the way he has, Harrison will be lucky to see 5 touches a game.

7. Kiss Bills Rings says: Oct 13, 2010 3:03 PM

crap, I got McCoy & I hope this doesn’t hurt his fantasy value!!!
    Harrison can be great…..CRAP!!!!

8. Eric Hipple says: Oct 13, 2010 3:03 PM

We’re on a first-name basis with Peyton Hillis now? Interesting

9. Munze Konza says: Oct 13, 2010 3:04 PM

When Peyton went to the browns no one gave it a second thought as they didn’t think he was an impact player…h enever showed it before…maybe Bell can be a great add as well.

10. kantnockdahustle89 says: Oct 13, 2010 3:05 PM

Pretty sweet deal for the Eagles. If Harrison doesnt fumble hes a pretty good player.

11. ArtModellsPimp says: Oct 13, 2010 3:06 PM

Good. I got pretty tired of watching Jerome tippy-toe up to the line before getting knocked around. Harrison seemed to lose his fire early on. And maybe Hillis can teach Bell how to pound out yardage like a pro should.
    Good luck, Jerome. It just wasn’t meant to be.

12. Bossss says: Oct 13, 2010 3:08 PM

Wow What a steal for the eagles.

13. Bossss says: Oct 13, 2010 3:08 PM

Wow What a steal for the eagles.

14. js136202 says: Oct 13, 2010 3:16 PM

But he DOES fumble and he ISN’T good in pass protection.
    It’s hard for most of you people to gauge these former Browns players, I understand. Unless you live in a small section of rural North Dakota, you are never cursed with getting Browns games on TV. I envy you.

15. BRownsFanHAAA says: Oct 13, 2010 3:16 PM

update: the browns have zero clue how to use any of their talent, however miniscule that may be, and continue to dismantle whatever small working pieces they had for old broken ones.
    How about you let one of your other RBs carry the ball instead of watching the new flash in the pan hobble off the field after every play.
    It’s a joke watching these guys get hurt and no one else can come in for them. There must be some equation those coaches kno that I don’t; play only 1 string of guys because everyone else on the team is apparently incapable of producing anything.
    I’m sure I’m not alone when I say any group of nobodys could run the Brownstains better.

16. gyldenlove says: Oct 13, 2010 3:19 PM

That Cleveland backfield is just getting saturated with Broncos rejects, I suppose this is sweet payback from when they shipped all their useless defensive linemen to Denver.

17. BRownsFanHAAA says: Oct 13, 2010 3:19 PM

18. moolah954 says: Oct 13, 2010 3:23 PM

whats the fantasy value in this cause i just picked the both of them up

19. In & Out Burger says: Oct 13, 2010 3:24 PM

I get why the Eagles do this, but why would the Browns make this trade?

20. Agent Cooper says: Oct 13, 2010 3:24 PM

Insane. Jerome Harrison showed so much potential last season and even this season when Mangini would actually give him the chance to run the ball. And they trade him straight up for friggin’ Mike Bell? A total steal for the Eagles and a terrible, terrible trade by the Browns. But that’s pretty much par for the course for that franchise.

21. Codename says: Oct 13, 2010 3:25 PM

Jerome Harrison is mediocre and always has been. He put up big yards at the end of the year against teams that didn’t give a crap. He fumbles, he can’t pass protect, he can’t pick up a blitz. Worst of all, he gets injured when he’s not even playing. He has been hurt at some point in every single year he’s been in the league, and he gets them in practice.

22. Gotcha says: Oct 13, 2010 3:28 PM

Cleveland: The pawn shop of the NFL.

23. bspurloc says: Oct 13, 2010 3:29 PM

put on the cleats

24. Laxer37 says: Oct 13, 2010 3:29 PM

Great move to make mid week when Peyton Hillis is questionable with a deep thiegh bruise.
    Cleveland has no chance this week.

25. js136202 says: Oct 13, 2010 3:32 PM

Jermone. Harrison. Is. Horrible. I mean really not good. Not good at all. He’s a one-dimensional running back. He’s fast, he can’t block so he can’t get on the field on third down, he can catch out of the backfield but like I said, he can’t block, so he’s not too hard to plan for.
    He piled on some unbelievable stats against some unbelievably bad teams last year. 4 games and 800 yards means nothing. Running the ball against Kansas City and Jacksonville when their seasons were already over isn’t an accomplishment.

26. 206eagle says: Oct 13, 2010 3:36 PM

Good trade for both teams, I though Bell would do better than he did in Philly but guess not…

27. DirtyBird06 says: Oct 13, 2010 3:38 PM

Why does it matter who the backup Rb in Philly is? They’ll be lucky to carry the rock 3 or 4 times a game in an offense that traditionally gets away from the run game anyway.
    However, I do love that they’re utilizing McCoy because the kids showing some stuff on the field with his ability to make people miss but I’d be a fool to believe that Reid would stay consistent and stick with it.
    GET HEALTHY MIKE VICK!!!

28. Mooch says: Oct 13, 2010 3:38 PM

Seems like a steal – Browns fans, please let us know what the deal is.
    No one can fall into the back of an offensive lineman’s legs (injuring him) quite like Mike Bell. Joe Thomas beware!

29. BF4L says: Oct 13, 2010 3:39 PM

I am not sure how you can say he can “adequately pass protect”. He isn’t that good which is why he can hardly stay on the field during passing downs.
    I still can’t believe they traded him for Mike Bell and didn’t get any sort of draft pick included but he was done in Cleveland and as soon as he gets disgruntled, he quits.
    He is a free agent after this year anyway and most likely wouldn’t have stayed in Cleveland anyway so I guess getting something now is better than nothing later.
    Mike Bell had 1 decent season and has fallen from grace. Harrison had 4 decent games and has fallen from grace. I think this works okay for both teams since Bell didn’t fit what Philly needed and Jerome didn’t fit what the Browns needed.
    Hope this is a case of both teams improving but only time will tell.

30. mad555 says: Oct 13, 2010 3:47 PM

Laxer37 says:
    October 13, 2010 3:29 PM
    Cleveland has no chance this week.
    “Really and I thought the stains had a great chance this week with harrison as there backup rb… Man I guess no SB this year.
    Seriously though, when was the last time the brown stains ever have a chance at winning anything, any week?”
    Thanks Heckart,
    We knew you would come in handy for the eagles so how.

31. ShowStopper13 says: Oct 13, 2010 3:55 PM

Where did my comment go, asking the most important question.. who is Mike Bell’s agent???

32. Ilovefoolsball says: Oct 13, 2010 3:57 PM

the saints should’ve never gotten rid of Bell, he was successful in their system and they sure could use an experienced runningback right now with Bush and Thomas injured.

33. Reginald says: Oct 13, 2010 3:58 PM

How is this a trade? Mike Bell is the most worthless RB I’ve seen in a long time. The Browns just gave away Harrison for nothing.
    rofl.

34. ClayMath52 says: Oct 13, 2010 3:58 PM

An even bigger trade….I traded my Ham Sandwich at lunch for a Co-Workers Roast Beef Sandwich.

35. _ROCKSTAR_ says: Oct 13, 2010 4:08 PM

That will teach bell not to put on the wrong “freakin cleats” in the Super Bowl.

36. Madeira says: Oct 13, 2010 4:09 PM

Harrison’s penchant for hitting the turf as soon as there was contact doesn’t quite fit the Browns’ power run style. He moped around the sidelines and quit on the team. Mike Bell is a huge upgrade from that, regardless of anything else.

37. TD40 says: Oct 13, 2010 4:09 PM

I really hope, for Philly’s sake, that Harrison decides to abandon his new style- east west stutter stepping fool style. For some reason, on nearly every run now, he tries to dance at the line- right up until he’s tackled for no gain. Sound familiar, Browns fans? This is what Jamal Lewis became and looked how that turned out for him.
    I’ve seen Mike Bell play, but don’t know all his stats, but I honestly don’t think it matters. Harrison began to gain a rep as a scatback, but, for whatever reason, has become a guy who dances forever and then goes down on first contact. The Browns already have a scatback who *doesn’t* go down on first contact. His name is James Davis, he was behind Harrison on the depth chart, and he’s better than Harrison.
    So, in the end, Philly gets an RB who seems to have lost his touch (but I do still think he has value as an open field, pass catching runner) and Cleveland has a bruising back that runs over people, a fast, lighter back that makes people miss, and a new guy named Mike Bell who is… meh. Kinda like Harrison.
    Fairly even trade if you ask me. It’s like trading a red apple for a yellow apple. Pretty much the same thing.

38. Hawkeye says: Oct 13, 2010 4:12 PM

I watching Mike Bell warm up before the last home game and he can’t even walk let alone run. Completely washed up Howie / Andy. I don’t know anything about Harrison but if he isn’t in a wheel chair he should be an upgrade.

39. BigAlHeBDMan says: Oct 13, 2010 4:13 PM

New Orleans Saint fan here. I liked Mike Bell when he was with the Saints. Gave us a lot of positive yards, but apparently didn’t listen to the Coaches. Here’s a guy that was in a position every running back dreams of from birth. On the 1 yd line in the Super Bowl for a team that waited 43 years to get to this point and he slips on the turf, making a cut because he didn’t wear the shoes Coach told him. Unforgiveable!

40. TD40 says: Oct 13, 2010 4:15 PM

Oh yeah, and as someone else here already astutely pointed out, Harrison gives up when he gets frustrated. While Mike Bell ain’t nothing special, I sure don’t mind dumping someone (Harrison) who pouts when someone else (Hillis) beats him out for the starting job, and then gives a 50% effort when he *does* get to play ’cause he’s moping.

41. lee says: Oct 13, 2010 4:20 PM

Roastbeef(Jerome Harrison) wins every time.

42. TD40 says: Oct 13, 2010 4:22 PM

Reginald says:
    October 13, 2010 3:58 PM
    rofl.
    ————————————————-
    I seem to remember Broncos fans saying the same thing about Hillis.
    ROFL, indeed.

43. FMWarner says: Oct 13, 2010 4:25 PM

Is anyone awake in the Cleveland front office? Heckert started working there before the Eagles signed Bell, so it’s not like he saw something in Bell that no one else did. I like this trade for the Eagles…as well as McCoy has played, he’s not that durable and there’s no one behind him.
    Even the Indians who traded Manhattan for a bag of beads think that the Browns got hosed.

44. WhoDeySood5 says: Oct 13, 2010 4:30 PM

Kiss Bills Rings says:
    October 13, 2010 3:03 PM
    crap, I got McCoy & I hope this doesn’t hurt his fantasy value!!!
    Harrison can be great…..CRAP!!!!
    ————————————————–
    you have no clue what you’re talking about.
    going into last week Mccoy was #3 rated back in PPR formats, and they don’t give out fantasy points for potential…with that being said I would like to joing your league and take your money please

45. Loftus says: Oct 13, 2010 4:41 PM

As a Browns fan I like the trade. I wish Harrison luck, but he does not fit our system. He has great top-end speed but he puts the ball on the ground and can’t pass protect to save his life.
    Mike Bell is a goal-line back that will find a role in the Browns offense. Harrison certainly has value, but he also is a huge liability.
    Enjoy the ups and downs Eagles fans. Might want to buy some Pepto if McCoy goes down.

46. TP7 says: Oct 13, 2010 4:42 PM

moolah954 says:
    October 13, 2010 3:23 PM
    whats the fantasy value in this cause i just picked the both of them up
    ————————————————
    Let me guess, you must be in last place in your fantasy league. Desperation smells, and you my friend reek

47. netdawg says: Oct 13, 2010 4:44 PM

Good luck Phili fans… JC as his boys call him is all about HIM and if you think he can pass protect…
    …LOL!!! Watch some game film! Two separate coaching staffs in Cleveland kept him on the bench even through losing and career free falls. Only reason he got reps late last year was because of injury. no doubt the kid has skills off the edge and in the open field, but he’s poor at understanding his coverage, getting to the right places for the passing game, and can’t break tackles to save his life.
    Mike Bell might not be much of anything but the Browns now have 3of3 RBs committed to playing the game as instructed and have a little more comfort in protecting the QB.

48. FAST says: Oct 13, 2010 4:55 PM

THIS IS A GREAT DEAL FOR BOTH TEAMS…… THE EAGLES ADD AN EXPLOSIVE THIRD DOWN RB, AND THE BROWNS CONTINUE TO SHOOT FOR THE #1 OVERALL PICK IN NEXT YEARS DRAFT.

49. RunningOutOfCommentNames says: Oct 13, 2010 4:59 PM

Wow…4o some odd comments for a trade that amounts too….Much ado about nothing.

50. Bwa Ha Ha says: Oct 13, 2010 4:59 PM

I guess this means Eldra Buckley doesn’t get in the Hall O’Fame

51. Boom Boom says: Oct 13, 2010 5:01 PM

I want to point out that Harrison signed a one year RFA tender and was never going to come back to the browns to begin with.
    He sucked when he got into the game this year, and obviously didn’t want to be there. The fact that the Browns got anything for him is amazing considering he had one small stretch of being decent, and a long stretch of being injured.
    James Davis is the same guy without the contract demands next year.

52. Steve W. says: Oct 13, 2010 5:15 PM

# GurpBadesha says: October 13, 2010 2:53 PM
    ohh this is huge!…
    eagles can trade for cj or ap, they still dont have a chance against the GmeN!
    _____________________________
    That’s quite some smack talk, especially considering my Eagles swept your Giants last year. I know it’s a new year, but you might want to wait until you have something to talk trash about before you say something like that.

53. Terrell Blowens says: Oct 13, 2010 5:16 PM

The Browns got scammed. Wow… Mike Bell is horrible

54. RayRay says: Oct 13, 2010 5:27 PM

Jerome was never used correctly. He’s not a feature back but had great potential to make it happen. This was more a personality conflict with Hamgini,which surprises me because he’s on his way out, too! We should had gotten more in the trade. Harrison will light it alittle in Philly. Is James Davis hurt or what. Where are the other back-ups. Bell should get in quick to give Hillis periodic rest. Hamgini should go up to Buffalo.

55. Laj Mahal says: Oct 13, 2010 5:34 PM

Great trade for the Eagles, Mike Bell clearly wasn’t the answer if McCoy were ever to go down.

56. js136202 says: Oct 13, 2010 5:54 PM

I’ll say this one last time for the few of you that missed my previous comments.
    He’s not a 3rd down back. The #1 responsibility of a 3rd down running back is pass protection. The #2 responsibility is pass protection. The #3 responsibility is catching the ball out of the backfield.
    Seeing as how he cannot handle #’s 1 and 2, this renders #3 somewhat mute.
    The guy who said it’s like trading a yellow apple for a red apple was spot-on. Another comparison would be trading a Turd Sandwich for a Giant Douche.

57. Green n' Gold says: Oct 13, 2010 6:12 PM

Can Ted Thompson call both of these GM’s and get some advice on how to pull off a trade? I think he’s forgotten how.

58. koala says: Oct 13, 2010 6:55 PM

Most average fans; unless you’ve been following Cleveland carefully; just don’t realize how much of a non-team player Harrison is. When he lost his starting job, he was mouthing off about how he needed 20 or so carries a game to showcase his talents. He was given a couple games to show what he could do, and he bombed terribly. Hillis simply outplayed him. Coming off the bench; it was as mentioned by earlier comments…….stutter step around the line and hit the dirt. What a loser. I believe Philly may have been one of the few teams actually willing to give the Browns anything for him. He’s a devisive influence on the team & I personally loved it when I heard he would no longer disgrace his teammates or the loyal fans in Cleveland. It’s not than he lacks talent…..he lacks heart and loyalty. Good riddance. As for Bell; he’s icing on the cake. We got rid of a problem child & if Bell works out, then that’s a plus. Meanwhile; James Davis is a good, hard-working, talented, player who deserves his chance. Now; he’ll get it. The main point is……we’re rid of Harrison. That’s a plus.:)

59. Prime Time says: Oct 13, 2010 7:57 PM

Both of these guys suck!

60. tobago says: Oct 13, 2010 8:45 PM

another amazining move by an inept franchise. Why not trade your leading rusher from’09 for a journeyman backup, make sense doesnt it? Only in Brownstown,what a franchise.

61. TD40 says: Oct 13, 2010 9:12 PM

tobago says:
    October 13, 2010 8:45 PM
    ————————————————–
    When you already have one back who absolutely blows your “leading rusher from ’09” out of the friggin’ water- and you have another back (Davis) who’s ability to cut makes Harrison look like an offensive lineman on heroin – AND that leading rusher from ’09 you’re trading away is becoming a cancer, puts the ball on the carpet more often than ever and doesn’t give a full effort anymore just because he’s not #1 now, AND considering the Browns want Bell as a 2nd string and possibly even 3rd string back— then yes…. it makes sense :)
    Any other questions?

62. koala says: Oct 13, 2010 10:39 PM

Thanks TD40; you concisely stated what I was trying to say, but much more eloquently and in a language most folks on here can understand……straight, and to the point. :) Geaux Browns !!

63. KardiacKid says: Oct 13, 2010 11:38 PM

They both suck. Everyone around here was just sick of hearing Jerome complain about lack of touches so Heckert dumped him to his old stopping grounds. I am a lifelong Browns fan and I admit we suck so all you fat slobs on here bashing the team aren’t telling us anything new. Yes we will have a top 5 pick in the draft but the Eagles will have about the 15th because they are an average over hyped team. (Over hyped by their own fans.) Enjoy Jerome, enjoy your 7-9 season and good call getting rid of Mcnabb. Only took 2 weeks til corn on the Kolb was on the trade block. I bet you guys are missing #5 now. Idiots.

64. ArtModellsPimp says: Oct 14, 2010 12:29 AM

Whoa! Good job, there KardiacKid…bitch-slapping those self-important Philly slobs back into reality! Just all of these ridiculous comments, themselves, tell me that they either (1) haven’t been paying attention or (2) don’t have any kind of a clue, when it comes to Jerome Harrison.
    He’s a hollow promise, boys! And his nickname is “ghost.”…as in “you can see him, but there’s really nothing there.”
    You bought a dream. A bad one. And now you’ll have something else to bitch about.

65. CheezWhizard says: Oct 14, 2010 12:52 AM

These Browns fans are cracking me up. Blitz recognition, blocking, dancing behind the line of scrimmage and everything you say is wrong with Harrison are all things that COACHES should correct. Not that I have much faith in the Hamburgler and Morninwhat, but trading Bell shows more smarts than Mangenius.

66. KardiacKid says: Oct 14, 2010 4:34 PM

Yea Cheez I forgot all the coaches stand with the running backs while the ball is snapped to show them where to go. He doesn’t block because hes 5-9 200 lbs and afraid of linebackers and he dances behind the line because hes a bad scat back that cant find a hole. We don’t think Mike Bell is the next Jim Brown so before you start saying the Eagles are smart for this trade makes you sound like you should actually watch a whole football game rather then just the highlights. One bum that will have trouble finding a home in 2011 for another bum that will have trouble finding a home in 2011. This trade is a wash.