Tom Brady is happy to hear that his boss is optimistic about CBA

On Tuesday, Patriots owner Robert Kraft expressed optimism that a new labor deal can be negotiated by the end of the year.

Kraft’s top on-field employee is pleased.

“I love to hear that he’s optimistic,” quarterback Tom Brady told Gary Williams and Steve Phillips of Sirius XM’s Mad Dog Radio.  “I know one thing about Mr. Kraft is he’s a deal maker.  I think he’s very open to getting things done.  And I know our guys who represent the players are also for it.  So everyone’s trying to make it happen.  I think we’ve enjoyed a lot of success with the NFL and I think we’ve avoided a lot of the issues that have come up in the other leagues.  I think football is extremely popular, right now the most popular sport in America, and for good reason.  I think everyone has worked hard to contribute to that success so it’s good to keep it moving down the right path.  There’s got to be give and take from both sides.  Ultimately everybody wants to see a deal get done.  I love to hear that he’s optimistic.  That always is a great sign for the players.  And we, as players, have got to do our part.  I sure hope something happens.”

On one of the biggest points of contention — the “enhanced” 18-game season — Brady’s remarks demonstrate the lingering existence of a potential impasse.

“I know that’s a big point of contention from the players, the owners,” Brady said.  “I think there’s a lot of things that still need to be thought out about that.  It’s easy to say, ‘Just play a couple more, substitute those, or why not play 20 games or 24 games?’  And then where does it stop?  I know the toll that it takes on me on a week to week basis.  I’m not sure so many players will be excited about that.  So we’ll have to see what happens.”

What will have to happen is that the NFL will have to give up more than just two more game checks per player per season.  Players realize that the enhanced season will diminish careers; at a minimum, they want the path to post-career health care benefits to reflect that.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
15 Responses to “Tom Brady is happy to hear that his boss is optimistic about CBA”
  1. Deegizzle says: Oct 13, 2010 12:23 PM

I don’t know about everyone else, but from what I hear talking to people and listening to the media, the exact opposite is true.
    The majority of people want to keep things the same.

2. scrapdawg12 says: Oct 13, 2010 12:26 PM

A work stoppage means the owners lose money and the players lose money and more importantly, the players become a whole year older. What is the hold up? Don’t change a thing except how much money the rookies make. Get rid of the Franchise tag, that is dumb.

3. EDM says: Oct 13, 2010 12:36 PM

Owners do not intend to pay players more for 18 games, rookie money taken away will NOT be given to veterans and “THEY WILL NEVER SEE THE RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF MONEY WE REALLY MAKE!”. Sure, a deal gets done if you players agree to bend over. Negotiation 101

4. 2MuchTime says: Oct 13, 2010 12:43 PM

Smart move, the economy is so bad that people will adjust quickly to not spending money on the NFL. Marketing revenues will adjust quickly as well.
    The NFL may not come back from a lockout. Maybe 10 years ago but not now.

5. VanDolPhan says: Oct 13, 2010 12:45 PM

Whiners. CFL plays 18 games and the players there don’t think it’s any big deal, and they have a bit more restricted rosters to. NFL’s would surely expand theirs or at least allow the inactives to play.

6. KnuckleBucket says: Oct 13, 2010 12:53 PM

No matter how the owners try to sell it, the 18 game season comes down to money. They want more of it. Makes no sense for the players because I’ll bet most of them don’t feel that two more game checks are worth the toll it takes on their bodies. So then when the injuries start to pile up, what are you left with? An inferior product.
    Scrapdog has it right. Change the rookie pay scale and eliminate the franchise tag. Get it done.

7. JoeSixPack says: Oct 13, 2010 1:01 PM

There’s a lot behind the scenes that fans don’t know or care about with the CBA but that doesn’t mean its not a big issue.
    The amount of revenue the owners get and how they share it obviously isn’t something that I personally care about – but I understand that its not fair owners who dupe taxpayers into paying for new stadiums to get the same share of revenue as owners who self-financed their stadiums without hitting up taxpayers.
    Turning 2 pre-season games into regular season games might work, but we all know that the wear and tear of a “real” game is different than the pre-season.
    As a fan I would have no huge desire for 2 more regular season games… I’d rather have all the best players healthy for 16 games instead of watching a team hobbled by additional injuries limp into the playoffs – whenever those might take place.

8. Unbreakable02215 says: Oct 13, 2010 1:06 PM

Agreed. I think the OWNERS are saying the fans want to see it (18 game schedule). Why not put it to a vote ? Let fans vote on it. Then we’ll see who REALLY wants an 18 game schedule.

9. JP says: Oct 13, 2010 1:36 PM

Someone above said “What’s funny about the enhanced season is that the NFL owners are doing this because they think the fans want this.
    The majority of people want to keep things the same. ”
    WHAAAH?!?
    You’re telling me if you give football fans the following choice:
    * watch your team play 4 preseason & 16 regular season games
    * watch your team play 2 preseason & 18 regular season games
    That most fans are going to choose option #1? That fans would rather see 7th string benchwarmers playing rather than their favorite players? That makes no sense.

10. Caldon says: Oct 13, 2010 1:38 PM

Re: Players and enhanced season. I bet if you ask most of the players they will be in favor of it. Why? The vast majority of players career only last 3 – 5 years and they don’t get the huge contracts that Brady and his type get. So another couple of checks in that 3 to 5 year long career is huge.
    For Brady and those superstars like him that reel in millions per year, I bet they don’t care and would rather not have the longer season.
    The problem? Those roleplayers and players who are not superstars like Brady make the bulk of the active players and the players union needs to be paying more attention to their needs, not the superstars who will be fine regardless.

11. ST says: Oct 13, 2010 1:42 PM

I think the extra games are just a red herring they are pretending to care a lot about so they can “give in” and get a concession they really want.

12. Dan Mateus says: Oct 13, 2010 1:50 PM

There will be a compromise at 17 regular season games and 3 preseason games.
    I believe this is what the owners are really going for. Start high and settle,thats deal making. # preseason games is just the right amout too.

13. Black QB White RB says: Oct 13, 2010 2:26 PM

. Players realize that the enhanced season will diminish careers; at a minimum, they want the path to post-career health care benefits to reflect that.
    Wait a second….I thought Obama Care was gonna take care of everybody…WTF?

14. Black QB White RB says: Oct 13, 2010 2:31 PM

Wait a second….I thought Obama Care was gonna take care of everybody…WTF?
    At the end of the day, you will DEFINITELY see 18 regular season games because the people WILL watch, and so the TV Networks WILL pay so they owners WILL make more money. it doesn’t matter what all you “FootballPurists” want.

15. Memp! says: Oct 14, 2010 9:51 AM

Personally, I don’t care what they do. I’m happy to watch football all year long but as a season ticket holder, I think it’s total BS that I have to pay full price for tickets to pre-season games when it’s such a watered down half-ass experience.