Santonio Holmes: Sports Illustrated agent story "all false"

In this week’s Sports Illustrated cover story, agent Josh Luchs says Jets receiver Santonio Holmes admitted receiving money from an agent when he was at Ohio State. Holmes says that’s a lie.

“I had no recognition of it until I was contacted by my agent and by PR,” Holmes told ESPNNewYork.com. “It was probably something thrown out there to further tarnish my career. But everything happens for a reason. The allegations are false that were made by this guy, whoever this reporter is who said that I took money. It’s all false.”

Sports Illustrated, however, says that both Luchs and another agent, Steve Feldman, recall Holmes admitting to getting money from an agent.

“Listen, I want to save you the time,” Holmes is quoted by Sports Illustrated as telling the agents when they offered him money under the table. “We don’t need to meet. I’ve been taking money from [an agent] the last couple years, and he’s been taking care of my family too.”

Holmes says doing something like that is not in his character.

“I’m in my fifth year in the NFL. I’m a Super Bowl MVP,” Holmes said. “I have not been to the table to take any money from anybody from any team, and I asked to take money from a guy I didn’t even know? Seriously? It’s self-explanatory.”

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
51 Responses to “Santonio Holmes: Sports Illustrated agent story "all false"”
  1. CKL says: Oct 14, 2010 1:08 PM

LOL a guy like this getting all irritated when someone questions his character? The several time drug policy violator and child support dodger? What a joke.

2. Wiseman says: Oct 14, 2010 1:09 PM

Apparently he’s missing the point here. The article isn’t saying he is taking money now from an agent, it’s that he did so in college.
    Holmes is trying to say he doesn’t need the money now with his “success” on the field, and that may be.
    I guess that is just my take on how I read XYZ comments from the articles, or at least how PFT presented it here.

3. ScottyFargo says: Oct 14, 2010 1:11 PM

Holmes is guilty and he knows it. Moss and Harvin would never have done anything like this. But then again, the Vikings are class.

4. chipwade says: Oct 14, 2010 1:11 PM

Didn’t Holmes just serve a 4 game suspension for breaking the law?

5. shaggytoodle says: Oct 14, 2010 1:13 PM

This guy needs to lay low for once, he finally gets back out on the field and 48 hours later hes getting fingers pointed at him.

6. srackis says: Oct 14, 2010 1:14 PM

Josh Luchs was on Mike and Mike in the morning on October 13, 2010, and said he never named Santonio Holmes, that is was a different player named Holmes he gave money to.

7. wydok says: Oct 14, 2010 1:15 PM

Actually, on Mike & Mike yesterday, Luchs clarified that it wasn’t Santonio Holmes, but a different player named Holmes.

8. redguy12588 says: Oct 14, 2010 1:16 PM

Why did he feel the need to state that he’s a Super Bowl MVP?

9. rjgreen3 says: Oct 14, 2010 1:17 PM

Luchs has too many parts of his story supported to be all lies. Holmes was probaly high on weed and doesn’t remember or as Roger Clemens says “he misremembers”

10. Pack_Attack says: Oct 14, 2010 1:19 PM

Emmitt doesnt have any recognition of it either.

11. slowfame says: Oct 14, 2010 1:23 PM

Geeze Holmes is such a stand up guy to how dare Luchs try to tarnish the proud name of Santion…Wait What?? OHH he hasnt been able to stay drug free in the 5 years he was in the league or afte becoming a Super Bowl MVP… OH I see.

12. RAMROD says: Oct 14, 2010 1:23 PM

“It was probably something thrown out there to further tarnish my career.”
    Like Santonio hasn’t done a fantastic job of further tarnishing his own career. A Superbowl MVP yes, but his glass throw going, pot smoking, domestic violence abusing got him booted out of Pittsburgh.
    Not to mention his tweets of wake/bake and suggesting that a fan should kill themselves.
    I would think that “accepting money” would be a plus compared to all the self inflicted career woes.

13. The Black Cat says: Oct 14, 2010 1:24 PM

His name isn’t even “Santonio Holmes”.

14. hrmlss says: Oct 14, 2010 1:25 PM

But he’s been such a stand-up guy his entire career. We should believe him.

15. WalkerB says: Oct 14, 2010 1:25 PM

Same guy who got into trouble at OSU & as a Steeler? same guy who didn’t take this money but at the time had about 4 kids? I’m telling you right now I work full time & so does my wife & taking care of our 4 kids isn’t cheap there is NO way he comes from Bell Glade FLA (the slums) and can afford to take care of those kids while he was at OSU he wasn’t working there are very strict rules on “STUDENT/ATHLETES” working while on scholarship from an NCAA D1 school (not saying they can’t work at all but the rules are strict) I can’t say yes I say him take money from agents but I would be money on it that he did/would I mean are we to think Maurice Clarett was the only OSU player payed off? Holmes brought this on himself through his history of horrible choices I wouldn’t be suprised if he gets another suspension for violating the leauge’s substance abuse policy

16. der6495 says: Oct 14, 2010 1:27 PM

Like we should believe anything Santonio says.

17. FinFan6886 says: Oct 14, 2010 1:28 PM

Holmes is using his character as a defense to prove he didn’t take any money when he was in college…really?…FAIL. He acts like it is an attack intended to further tarnish his career, when, in fact, he is just one of many athletes named in the article. Odds he took money and is saying he didn’t because of no paper trail…probably close to 90%. The article…and many former agents…claim that it is common. Look at the greed that most of the players display after they already have a ton of money. It is not surprising that many of theses athletes would take money back in their college days when they were not already rich.

18. brady12 says: Oct 14, 2010 1:31 PM

So everything else he said was verified..but the stuff about you is not true…ya OK.

19. netdawg says: Oct 14, 2010 1:31 PM

to imply that he’s stating its not in his character is pretty funny.
    Take a look at the reports from his past AFTER the alleged incident had taken place and you’ll see a pattern of contempt for authority. Not to mention he’s broken the league rules, by which he is currently employed, enough to get himself suspended. And those are only the incidents by which he was caught.
    then again, what’s he supposed to say?

20. SomeFans says: Oct 14, 2010 1:32 PM

Holmes says doing something like that is not in his character.”?? ROFLMAO!!!
    Try again Holmes

21. BroncosFanTX77 says: Oct 14, 2010 1:33 PM

@srackis TYVM for pointing that out. Shitty journalism at its best. Listen to the Mike and Mike tapes and you will find out Luchs stated that it was not Santonio Holmes a different Holmes. Pathetic.

22. shaggytoodle says: Oct 14, 2010 1:34 PM

ScottyFargo says:
    October 14, 2010 1:11 PM
    ________________________________
    Yeah real classy while they are urinating in peoples yards on the way to the love boat. Matt Schaub said, Jared Allen was REALLY classy too with all those cheap shots trying to get fined so he could donate money to schools.

23. jennstergerscellphone says: Oct 14, 2010 1:38 PM

Yeah, that sure would be a stretch Santonio… When are you gonna “wake -n- bake” again so your ass can take a whole year off? I am so glad to see this guy off of the Steelers!
    Good receiver, bad character.

24. enders says: Oct 14, 2010 1:42 PM

“It was probably something thrown out there to further tarnish my career.”
    Why does anyone need to do anything to tarnish his career? He does an excellent job of that by himself.

25. brasho says: Oct 14, 2010 1:43 PM

Santurdio doesn’t realize that the report said he took money BEFORE he was in the NFL (and an MVP of the Super Bowl, a Pro Bowler, in his 5th year, and had been arrested multiple times).
    And since when does Santurdio need help tarnishing his stellar career and reputation? He seems to have done a great job all by himself.

26. sasquash69 says: Oct 14, 2010 1:43 PM

Just let them take some money. They make millions for the schools. They risk career ending injuries every practice or game. Let them get a little money to help there family and themselves. If I came from the ghetto and someone said they would do this for me and my family I’m going where they want me to.

27. chipwade says: Oct 14, 2010 1:47 PM

=======================
    Randy Moss dreamed of playing at Notre Dame, but picked Florida State (sounds like someone got paid). Lou Holtz seems like a stand up coach that wouldn’t allow players to get paid. But Bobby Bowden seems like the kind of coach that would do anything to win.
    “Freshman (1996)
    In 1996, while serving his 30-day jail sentence in a work-release program from 1995, Moss tested positive for smoking marijuana, thus violating his probation, and was dismissed from Florida State. He served an additional 60 days in jail for the probation violation.[9]”

28. Davidvt77 says: Oct 14, 2010 1:49 PM

Florio, how about some investigative journalism? Who did Santonio sign with before the draft? I’d like to know that name.

29. wtf__seriously says: Oct 14, 2010 1:50 PM

Verified on the Mike and Mike Show yesterday by Luchs…. it was a different Holmes, not Santonio.

30. ch19079 says: Oct 14, 2010 1:52 PM

The agent stated that he misspoke when he said “Santonio Holmes”. It was a different Holmes.
    This was clerified Yesterday. I dont see anyone would still think Santonio was involved after this clerification.

31. CincyAllDaWay says: Oct 14, 2010 2:11 PM

He didn’t take any money…..just an ounce of weed!

32. PatricktheDookie says: Oct 14, 2010 2:13 PM

MDS had better post a retraction!!!

33. PirateFreedom says: Oct 14, 2010 2:15 PM

Holmes being upfront and not trying to squeeze a few extra bucks out of a different agent by stringing him along is actually the best thing I’ve heard yet about his character.

34. JSpicoli says: Oct 14, 2010 2:30 PM

I mean, with all his solid gold character references available, who could doubt this classy individual.
    MCOOMN–milk coming out of my nose.

35. EShine says: Oct 14, 2010 2:41 PM

Just listened to the Mike & Mike interviews, Luchs said ‘I did not offer money to Santonio Holmes. He was kind enough to tell me he had another arrangement’ but added that he had offered money to another Holmes. Luchs wasnt clearing up the SI article, but some commentary that M&M had earlier in the show, where they said Luchs offered Holmes money.
    Therefore, strike what I said before.
    Holmes was taking money.

36. TheSleepness says: Oct 14, 2010 2:44 PM

for real..why is any of this news? HIGH SCHOOL athletes get preferential treatment in tiny backwater schools in the middle of nowhere, you think this doesn’t happen everywhere..it’s like finding out a MULTIMILLIONARE athlete goes out and bangs chicks left and right…are we really this dumb or do we just like to complain and hate?

37. Nebster21 says: Oct 14, 2010 2:44 PM

Sounds like a stunt that the Jets pulled on the Vikings. It is amazing how it took this long and just happened to be right before the vikings and the Jets played that news of this got out. If I was a betting man I would bet nothing ever comes of the Farve Jets employee thing unless they meet up in the superbowl.

38. kstatefanfirst says: Oct 14, 2010 2:56 PM

He had no “recognition” of it? Or is that “recollection.”

39. steel curtain 2k says: Oct 14, 2010 2:58 PM

# CKL says: October 14, 2010 1:08 PM
    __________
    Don’t forget when he beat the crap out of his baby mama!
    Holmes you really are out of it if you think anybody believes you have even half the character you speak of.

40. TomBrady'sHairStylist says: Oct 14, 2010 3:10 PM

Santonio Holmes : THAT’S NOT MY WEED !!!

41. Final Word says: Oct 14, 2010 3:12 PM

This is irrisponsible reporting. Mike and Mike had Luchs on yesterday and he clarified that it was “another” Holmes that he was referring to. Mike Greenberg apologized right then and there for making that assumption.

42. ColumboFan says: Oct 14, 2010 3:18 PM

SI might not name who paid him, but it is not too hard to take a guess. The same guy that was suspended in the ’90s for paying a college player. The same guy who represents Reggie Bush and Maurkice Pouncey, two players named in SI as being paid.
    Santonio Holmes’ current agent, Joel Segal. Just a guess.

43. Kevin from Philly says: Oct 14, 2010 3:19 PM

“The Sports Illustrated story does not name the agent who supposedly gave Holmes money.”
    Next question!

44. sportsdrenched says: Oct 14, 2010 3:28 PM

So, let’s fiat that this IS true. What’s going to happen to him? ….Nothing. That’s what
    I haven’t read the article yet, (SI should be waiting when I get home) But I doubt anything more than an “OMG” from the Sports Writers Moral Compass will be the result.

45. D_Gryphon says: Oct 14, 2010 3:33 PM

Maybe Luchs took some money to admit that he misspoke?

46. Tdk24 says: Oct 14, 2010 3:34 PM

47. Mr Krinkle says: Oct 14, 2010 3:40 PM

Holmes is right, why would a super bowl MVP take money from an agent while he was at college? It does not make any sense, so therefore he COULDN’T have taken money from an agent.

48. Junior says: Oct 14, 2010 3:43 PM

For those of you saying that Luchs “clarified” that he didn’t mean Santonio Holmes on Mike & Mike need to go listen to the show again and read the article.
    Mike & Mike being themselves assumed that Luchs claimed he gave money to Santonio. If they had bothered to read the full article or attempt comprehension of the article, there would not have been a need for clarification.
    What Luchs did clarify on Mike & Mike is that he didn’t give money to Santonio because Santonio stopped him short by saying that he was already being taken care of by another agent.
    Perhaps Santonio should do himself a favor and actually read what the article is claiming because it’s obvious by his statements that he hasn’t.

49. dlmcc0909 says: Oct 14, 2010 4:11 PM

“There should be no issue with an agent paying a college kid to try and sign him if the kid is already playing for a college team. The problem should be if a college pays a high school kid to come play at their school.”
    This is probably the smartest statement I have ever read on here. Thank you for making sense. I dont see any harm in letting agents give these kids money to attempt to sign them. Majority of these kids seem to come from poverty. They dont have time for a job while they take courses and deal with football practice. Let them have some pocket money to enjoy being young on campus. Seems only fair after the universities make billions due to them playing for the schools

50. ejtowne says: Oct 14, 2010 4:36 PM

Players taking bribes or cash is nothing new. It will keep happening too, The players and agents can’t be watched 24/7. Soon the players will be claiming that they found money buried in their backyard or “It just fell from the sky”. Its something that goes hand in hand, like fries and ketchup or PFT and articles about Brett Favre.

51. HarrisonHits says: Oct 14, 2010 5:46 PM

“I’m in my fifth year in the NFL. I’m a Super Bowl MVP,”
    Neither of which mean anything regarding whether you are a scumbag or not. And Holmes previous actions don’t lend much credence to his denial.