Drew Brees stands up to bullies

After a spate of stories about young people committing suicide after being bullied at school, Saints quarterback Drew Brees has taped an anti-bullying public service announcement.

“If you think that making fun of someone is harmless, you’re wrong,” Brees says in the ad. “If you think it’s OK to do because everyone else is doing it, you’re wrong. Bullying has to stop, and it has to start with you. I want my fans to know that if you’re making fun of someone because they’re different, then you are no friend of mine. And if you are being bullied and you feel like no one supports you, I want you to know that there is support. I support you. Making fun of someone because they’re different from you? That’s not being tough, it’s being ignorant. Appreciate people for how they are different from you: That’s what it takes to be a friend.”

You can watch the PSA, which aired on The Ellen DeGeneres Show this week, below:

Permalink 69 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
69 Responses to “Drew Brees stands up to bullies”
  1. PurplePeopleBeaters says: Oct 16, 2010 1:56 PM

He seems like the only guy who would be perfect to make this video…good for him.
    *Cue the haters*

2. tom coughlin's coat holder says: Oct 16, 2010 1:57 PM

mr. brees…thank you.

3. SgtRoc99 says: Oct 16, 2010 1:57 PM

I am not a Saints or Brees fan (Eagles), but good for him, nice to see a powerful message from a powerful man! Atta guy!

4. Nemesis says: Oct 16, 2010 1:57 PM

I was bullied!!!!

5. Austskate says: Oct 16, 2010 1:58 PM

Class act

6. majorlots says: Oct 16, 2010 2:04 PM

7. hdahs143 says: Oct 16, 2010 2:05 PM

Good for him. It needs to be said louder and more often.

8. agenice says: Oct 16, 2010 2:09 PM

Agreed!! Except Cowboy fans who’ve never even been to Texas. They deserve it. :-P

9. Igottz5onit says: Oct 16, 2010 2:14 PM

Class

10. Ilovefoolsball says: Oct 16, 2010 2:14 PM

I agree with Brees and any athlete who would take a stand like this publicly. Truth is many athletes were bullies in high school due to their larger stature and immature demeanor.

11. Pervy's Stepdad says: Oct 16, 2010 2:20 PM

Brees : Favre as Ruth’s Chris : Carl’s Jr.

12. birdmancometh says: Oct 16, 2010 2:23 PM

“The moooorrreee you Knooooowwww.”
    Thats a solid message. Well done Drew.

13. mr_snrub says: Oct 16, 2010 2:24 PM

Drew Brees just offended 2% of the PFT planet. Good for him.

14. GBfanForever says: Oct 16, 2010 2:24 PM

Way to go Drew. I wish more people were like you. I don’t know what happened to parenting but people need to learn to be decent and teach their kids that simple value. Here in the state of Michigan we have a couple in the Detroit area making news for publicly mocking their next door neighbors dying 6 year old daughter because of a silly feud with her parents. Everybody says this is a christian nation but I’m not sure I really buy that lip service anymore.

15. imseantaylor says: Oct 16, 2010 2:24 PM

Reverse psychology:
    Say that people will do a certain thing, and they will do the opposite.
    “plenty will hate on brees for this and have smart-ass comments but it’s pretty cool of him. more athletes should do that kind of thing.”
    Don’t be fooled by this people. Drew Brees clubs baby seals in his spare time.

16. Floriostoupee says: Oct 16, 2010 2:28 PM

Truly sad that there isn’t someone from each team stepping up and doing something like this! Every NFL team has at least one star player that kids look up to!

17. The Terminator says: Oct 16, 2010 2:28 PM

Brees is a stand-up guy!
    signed,
    -A Steelers Fan
    I still hope we beat them when we play them on Halloween in New Orleans…that will be a “scary” game!!!

18. ttommytom says: Oct 16, 2010 2:29 PM

I hate bullies with a passion. I can think of nothing better than beating the FK out of a bully or three.
    I’ve been thrown out of every school I ever went to for fighting (including college) and reinstated every time. Reason being, I was standing up for someone weaker and the only thing I did was wrong was getting caught. I fkin hate those people….

19. Barius Maximus says: Oct 16, 2010 2:37 PM

A good man giving a good and much needed message. Gotta love that. Bravo to Brees.

20. Neverend says: Oct 16, 2010 2:39 PM

Sad part is, nobody will really stop bullying. People don’t only get bullied because they’re different, it because it can be how they act, how they dress, or if they don’t fit into what image and standard society makes for teens/kids. Yes, bullying can go into college. In my opinion it will never stop

21. Chiggs says: Oct 16, 2010 2:39 PM

Drew Brees is awesome.

22. OJPimpson says: Oct 16, 2010 2:40 PM

Brees is the man i commend him
    . I feel bad for all kids who are bullied and wish I was a strong enough youth to stick up for past victims

23. btownbrown says: Oct 16, 2010 2:41 PM

I like that this issue is seeing so much attention. My daughter has been a recent victim of bullying and it has been an absolute nightmare for her and our family. Don’t think that it only happens to the unpopular, or the non-athletic kids. My daughter is one of the top athletes at our school, and was being bullied by a mother of one of her teammates, as well as her teammates older sister. This is an issue that we took to the parents to ask it to stop, and it only got worse. I thank Drew Brees for making this statement, and think it is time to preach tolerance. I also believe it is time for parents to get involved in their kids lives and know what is going on before it is too late.

24. Kipinc says: Oct 16, 2010 2:43 PM

I just became a Drew Brees fan. The man didn’t sound fake at all. If anyone rags on him for doing …well they need to be promptly kicked in the groin..this is serious..and if kids are killing themselves over bullying it needs to stop.. every athlete needs to speak up and recognize that they can make a difference..we can too. Kudos to posting this Florio.

25. Lord Harry Latts says: Oct 16, 2010 2:45 PM

guy is a cool dude.

26. footballseason! says: Oct 16, 2010 2:52 PM

Great message, from a great source! Hopefully more of the pro-athletes will jump on this bandwagon!

27. leadinoff says: Oct 16, 2010 3:03 PM

Brees doesn’t just talk the talk …… I was at an autograph show where he was a guest. I approached the table for him to sign my helmet and I was “bullied” by this dude standing next to him that I could not take a photo of him placing his signature on the helmet. Brees stepped in and told the troll, “Let him take his photo”. Brees is nothing but a CLASS ACT !! The photo of him holding up his son after winning the Super Bowl is the logo for my fantasy team, of which he is obviously my QB. Keep up the great work Drew !

28. NawlinsRaider says: Oct 16, 2010 3:04 PM

I commend Drew Brees for making this statement, but (and I know I am going to take the wrath of PFT commenters for this) bullying has taken place forever. It takes place from the schoolyard till the graveyard. It is a part of life. I am a fat guy…. was a fat kid…. was I picked on? YES!!!! Am I stronger for it? Yes…
    We need to spend more time paying attention to our kids and helping them build their self-esteems so that bullies no longer have the power to bully. We have complete control over how we feel about ourselves and we can not allow a person who is mentally immature decide how we feel. Are bullies assholes? Of course, but that will never change no matter how much people like Brees try to make it. The only way to create change is for parents to pay attention to the behaviors of both the victim as well as the bully.

29. Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says: Oct 16, 2010 3:04 PM

Great message. Class act.

30. leadinoff says: Oct 16, 2010 3:09 PM

31. leadinoff says: Oct 16, 2010 3:12 PM

32. leadinoff says: Oct 16, 2010 3:13 PM

33. Terrell Blowens says: Oct 16, 2010 3:16 PM

I like Brees. But MDS, why did you give the full text of what he said and put the video right below? Seems like a waste of time

34. LebronJeremy says: Oct 16, 2010 3:21 PM

Class act. Nothing else to say.

35. Pervy xx says: Oct 16, 2010 3:24 PM

Thanks for making me realize what I am Drew….not your friend….

36. Pervy xx says: Oct 16, 2010 3:26 PM

I get bullied all the time…and you support me Drew?? BS…where is my check?

37. nicalooch76 says: Oct 16, 2010 3:30 PM

Awwwww.
    This is a good thing.

38. Someone says: Oct 16, 2010 3:31 PM

The guy really might be Jesus afterall. Kudo’s to him for sending this message. He speaks the truth.

39. TacoBill says: Oct 16, 2010 3:40 PM

I guess that big asz mole on the side of his face didn’t go over well in Junior High

40. CaptainMarvel says: Oct 16, 2010 4:01 PM

So a bully is gonna stop now because Drew Brees won’t be his friend??? That’s like making a commercial telling thieves not to steal cause it’s wrong. That’s as laughable as something else I saw on TV – a teacher on the Larry King show said she has a ‘safe spot’ where kids can sit and not be picked-on. Can you imagine how embarrassing it would be for a boy to sit there? He’d get picked-on twice as bad! Sure Brees is a nice guy, but all this lip-service isn’t gonna stop bullies. Everyone gets picked-on at some point; you’re best bet is to just suck-it-up.

41. Dryheave says: Oct 16, 2010 4:04 PM

well, if he stands up to “bullies” then that means he should stand up TO YOU, Florio…..you like to sit behind the safety of your keyboard and bully people…..I’d pay good money to watch Brees KICK YOUR ASS……good money,indeed

42. PAYDAMAN says: Oct 16, 2010 4:09 PM

But I have so much fun bullying Florio Jr and taking his lunch money! I have to think that there are more important things going on in America than bullying. Maybe if you would focus on football instead of bullying you couldve beaten the lowly Cardinals, Drew. This country is becoming a nation of wimps.

43. K-FIZZLE says: Oct 16, 2010 4:09 PM

Breesus Christ! Why can’t this guy just STFU and just play football? Is the message great? Yeah,… if it came from someone else in the league, that doesn’t have political aspirations. Be careful Breesy,… It looks like you got a little bit of that BS you’re shoveling, on the side of your face…

44. 90ragtop says: Oct 16, 2010 4:13 PM

This is a wonderful message, and I thank and admire Drew Brees for doing this. When I was a kid in the 1960′s, and in high school in the 1970′s, the jocks were the worst offenders in the bullying department. Perhaps a message like this from a top athlete will bring at least a few kids around.

45. milehighmystic says: Oct 16, 2010 4:24 PM

I think more pro athletes shy away from messages like this because they know they have to be accountable for their own behavior in the future. Needless to say, I doubt we will ever have to worry about Mr. Brees!

46. Chicagojeff says: Oct 16, 2010 4:47 PM

What else should you expect from a class act..

47. GeeBee says: Oct 16, 2010 4:47 PM

I bullied on the bullies. Got me suspended a couple times, but I enjoyed it.
    Now go get me 3 TDs this weekend, Drew.

48. clintcooper says: Oct 16, 2010 4:54 PM

This is really great. God bless Drew Brees! GEAUX SAINTS!

49. NFL4EVER says: Oct 16, 2010 4:57 PM

This is a serious social issue that deserves more attention.
    I highly commend Drew Brees for making this powerful statement, hopefully more people of prominence will do the same.

50. aggie95 says: Oct 16, 2010 4:59 PM

Brees comes off as a fag.

51. stusbadbulb says: Oct 16, 2010 5:04 PM

Shocker that everyone here is applauding Brees. Clealry, you were all a bunch of bullied nerds who resort to ripping athletes on a website.
    Not hard to figure you losers out.

52. youngbillbob says: Oct 16, 2010 5:06 PM

Salute, thank you Mr. Brees.

53. GC in DC says: Oct 16, 2010 5:08 PM

Total class act. Thi would be a great thing for lot of others to get behind, too.

54. PurplePeopleBeaters says: Oct 16, 2010 5:17 PM

# K-FIZZLE says: October 16, 2010 4:09 PM
    —————————————————
    Thanks for showing how big of a douche you are…your parents must be so proud.

55. PurplePeopleBeaters says: Oct 16, 2010 5:19 PM

# stusbadbulb says: October 16, 2010 5:04 PM
    Not hard to figure you losers out.
    —————————————————-
    You DO realize that he did this during the Ellen show in response to the recent rash of kids committing suicide because of bullying…right?

56. NoKoolaidCowboy says: Oct 16, 2010 5:20 PM

Freak’in Drew! Kind of hard not to like this guy.

57. Pervy xx says: Oct 16, 2010 5:24 PM

phony…

58. PurplePeopleBeaters says: Oct 16, 2010 5:36 PM

# Pervy xx says: October 16, 2010 5:24 PM
    phony…
    —————————————————-
    About as phony as those Favre pics huh?

59. mikemcsaint says: Oct 16, 2010 5:51 PM

Pervy, phony is when a team keeps making you believe they’re good when they really know they’re not, like the Vikings.

60. NoRingForYou says: Oct 16, 2010 6:03 PM

Pervy xx says:
    October 16, 2010 5:24 PM
    phony…
    Shouldnt you be hanging out at your imaginary pool party with your imaginary ladies? “Hey Ma more meatloaf” is more of your ideal Friday night right?

61. NoRingForYou says: Oct 16, 2010 6:05 PM

Hey perv one more thing Crykings fan. You know what else besides Brees isnt phony? Those Super Bowl rings the Saints are wearing. Jackass.

62. wrath4771 says: Oct 16, 2010 7:07 PM

Brees is a class guy who just gets it.

63. TheSleepness says: Oct 16, 2010 7:57 PM

the biggest cowards of all are bullies.

64. mikemcsaint says: Oct 16, 2010 8:09 PM

kilo26, does the 26 stand for your IQ?

65. clubfoot says: Oct 16, 2010 8:54 PM

This can apply to 90% of the people on the East coast.

66. patsfan6290 says: Oct 17, 2010 2:10 AM

Good for Brees, but bullying is never going to stop. It’s like racism, people are always going to dislike others for being different. It’s just how we are. The best we can do is have videos such as this, tell kids how to act, and try to help our kids who are being bullied to brush it off, and just understand they’re better than the bully.

67. brad19 says: Oct 17, 2010 8:12 AM

Way to go Drew. Class act all the way.

68. Jack Lambert's Dentist says: Oct 17, 2010 10:06 AM

A good cause but who the f*** watches The Ellen DeGeneres Show? It’s unlikely that people with a bully mentality watch that garbage. Or am I wrong here?

69. Nola North says: Oct 17, 2010 12:01 PM

Good on your Drew.. Who Dat? Who Dare..