ESPN says it didn't tell coaches to take time outs

Earlier today, Rosenthal posted an item regarding comments from Jeff Fisher suggesting that ESPN wanted the coaches in Monday night’s game to burn late time outs, so that ESPN could run some more commercials.

Fisher offered the explanation in response to questions regarding his decision to run the ball — and score a touchdown — late in the 30-3 win.

Sports By Brooks reports that ESPN has denied that it asked the teams to use time outs, and it’s my own personal opinion after watching the video of Fisher’s remarks (with all due respect to Rosenthal) that Fisher was indeed joking.

It wasn’t a particularly funny joke and thus it wasn’t particularly clear that he was joking, but there’s a little something going on beneath Fisher’s mustache during his explanation that suggests to me he wasn’t serious.

That said, it wasn’t wise or prudent for Fisher to put his tongue in his cheek on such a potentially touchy subject.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
33 Responses to “ESPN says it didn't tell coaches to take time outs”
  1. 3 yards and a cloud says: Oct 19, 2010 4:13 PM

Perhaps it was not only Fisher that wasn’t prudent but was maybe Rosenthal who should have watched the video?
    Especially if you were able to watch it and notice something, shessh
    Just kidding Mikey, keep up the good work, but watch that Rosenthal, he’s a sneaky one.

2. RunningOutOfCommentNames says: Oct 19, 2010 4:17 PM

Mike Wise thinks it’s funny as hell……

3. shaggeez says: Oct 19, 2010 4:19 PM

regardless, its kind of funny. you just are bent out of shape again for getting hoodwinked once more.

4. Ryandg5 says: Oct 19, 2010 4:21 PM

Um I don’t think you meant the article “suggested” that ESPN wanted coaches to take time outs, but rather the article straight reported it. Nice back peddling – even going so far as to turn the blame around on Fisher – thats pretty good work

5. Manbearpig says: Oct 19, 2010 4:24 PM

_____________
    That said, it’s not wise or prudent to leave the Big Boy duties to Rosenthal, who I wouldn’t trust to help me with a book report, were I still in the third grade.
    This makes a lot more sense now that it’s been revealed that it was yet another Rosenerror. Quite hilarious though, that he managed to screw up to this degree.

6. birdmancometh says: Oct 19, 2010 4:30 PM

Indeed, that was certainly a hoodwinking.

7. Marv_Sleezy says: Oct 19, 2010 4:30 PM

I really think they should take him off the competition committee for showing such poor judgment – Guarantee the commish will be speaking to him.

8. The Hogster says: Oct 19, 2010 4:33 PM

Why correct this wrong story? Wha about the other 65% of these posts?

9. funi says: Oct 19, 2010 4:37 PM

ESPN up to its old tricks again…..

10. Raider B says: Oct 19, 2010 4:39 PM

This site is like a train wreck, you cant help but look.

11. buddycianci says: Oct 19, 2010 4:39 PM

I just watched the video. Fisher did not look to me like he was telling a joke. If ESPN gets caught lying here, damn it’s going to look bad.

12. SmyDChargers says: Oct 19, 2010 4:40 PM

Football already has enough commercial, look at all the timeouts, 2 minute warnings, end of quarter so they can change defending goals. 4 quarters with a 15 minute half time and it takes 3.5 hours to play the game. At least it’s not as bad as basketball where 2mins can last 15 mins due to fouls.

13. PriorKnowledge says: Oct 19, 2010 4:40 PM

For the reporters that will run with anything, maybe coaches should carry signs – “This is a joke” and “I am being sarcastic”.
    I can’t believe that any reporter would run with this story and not realize he wasn’t serious.

14. Cubano says: Oct 19, 2010 4:42 PM

Keep screwing w/ ESPN Florio. They are going to find you welded in a miniature oil barrel at the bottom of the Northeastern Atlantic Ocean you jackass!

15. Coach Stram says: Oct 19, 2010 4:44 PM

After watching that video, I have to ask, why is Mike Tirico standing in a hole?

16. Opie says: Oct 19, 2010 4:45 PM

Lighten up, Francis.
    If he was joking, it is funny. What’s more funny is you typing that it isn’t funny in defense of one of your co-scribes.
    Signs of the apocolypse:
    1) Reviewing all posts to decide if you don’t like it
    2) Florio being on any list about NFL “power” players
    3) Players not being able to hit each other w/intent to inflict bodily harm
    4) Not being able to make jokes that “some” might not find humorous
    Somewhere, hockey players are laughing hysterically……and soccer players are rejoicing in a new member to their wussy sports club

17. EVH12345 says: Oct 19, 2010 4:45 PM

Without watching the video the whole concept is rediculous. Using timeouts or calling plays because ESPN told you ruins the integrity of the game. Let’s use common sense here boys.

18. Tommy's Hair says: Oct 19, 2010 4:48 PM

I’m a little jealous of Fisher’s upper lip..

19. Wardrivekeith says: Oct 19, 2010 4:50 PM

Ha! Yeah … actually having watched the video it appears he’s throwing DelRio under the bus for being so stupid as to have called the timeouts when his team was getting obliterated. He basically went on to then say … “Look Jack’s gonna call timeouts … we gotta run … we end up running … you end up looking even more stupid cuz your team sucks and we’re gonna score again!” It certainly looked like a question of Fisher thinking “What was he thinking?” kinda thing and blasting him in his way.

20. EVH12345 says: Oct 19, 2010 4:52 PM

The NFL removed that video.

21. FairHooker says: Oct 19, 2010 4:56 PM

And in related news, BW3 can’t really make the sprinkler systems come on during the games…

22. mr_snrub says: Oct 19, 2010 4:59 PM

Let’s stick to the main story – Fisher’s decision to run The Prawn on 4th & 5 and subsequently benefit and screw a bunch of fantasy football degenerates.

23. joetoronto says: Oct 19, 2010 5:15 PM

Oh, BSPN denied it so that it, got it. I don’t think so.
    This is a little too convenient.

24. NFLJunkie says: Oct 19, 2010 5:18 PM

I just watched the video. Fisher did not look to me like he was telling a joke.
    Watch Fisher press conferences every week for 15 years or so and you’ll get used to his deadpan sarcasm.

25. A-Yo says: Oct 19, 2010 5:46 PM

I hope Fisher gets a $20,000 fine. If not then I guess Ochocinco should be reimbursed for “bribing” a ref. It’s ok for a coach to joke and say they called timeouts so ESPN could get commercial time thus making them money(possibly bribing the coaches), but Ocho can’t go out and joke with a $1 bill?

26. crkreg says: Oct 19, 2010 8:05 PM

ESPN blows

27. crkreg says: Oct 19, 2010 8:05 PM

ESPN blows

28. Polkat says: Oct 19, 2010 8:32 PM

Coach Fisher’s Tuesday Press Conference:
    “(on who asked him to use his timeout late in Monday night’s game)
    At the two-minute warning of every game in the fourth quarter there are conversations that take place—there are conversations that happen at the two-minute warning of the first half too—but it’s the official’s responsibility to give the head coach the status of the commercials and TV timeouts. Yesterday I was told that they were two short and they looked at me and smiled and I said, ‘Sorry, can’t help you.’ Then Mike (Carey, referee) came across and said, ‘Hey, here is the deal—we’re two short.’ I said, ‘Mike, I can’t help you. I’m trying to get a first down and I’m going to kneel on it.’ Then Jack (Del Rio) used his timeouts. Whether Jack used his timeouts because the official said we’re two commercials short, or he used them to stop the clock to get his quarterback some reps remains to be seen. My feeling is I had no issue with him using the timeouts. I completely understand, you have a backup quarterback who’s been there for two weeks and he wants to get him some reps. I completely understand, even though the game was completely out of reach. I think the position group most excited that he used the timeouts was probably our defensive line, they got to go in there and rush.”

29. Polkat says: Oct 19, 2010 8:32 PM

Coach Fisher’s Tuesday Press Conference:
    “(on who asked him to use his timeout late in Monday night’s game)

30. comment_submission_error says: Oct 19, 2010 8:55 PM

ESPN should front-load their commercials just like the other networks. A couple of weeks ago they tried to squeeze in a golf promo between plays, and failed. And then Torico started babbling about the NBA. That is a high-power, low-talent operation.

31. comment_submission_error says: Oct 19, 2010 8:55 PM

32. smiley says: Oct 19, 2010 9:33 PM

No offense to Boomer but ESPN sucks. Fisher stated that an official came over to ask him to take the timeouts becasue they were 2 commercials short. He stated this in his follow-up comments in an attempt to recover his original statement. So is he joking again? Enough with ESPN already. Hail!

33. smiley says: Oct 19, 2010 9:33 PM