Michael Vick says he's taking his time for his ribs to heal

Eagles quarterback Michael Vick said in a radio interview that he expects to sit out the team’s Week Seven game against the Titans, rest during the Week Eight bye, and then finally return to the field Week Nine against the Colts.

“I went and met with the doctor this morning. The movement’s still not there; the mobility’s still not there in my upper chest,” Vick said on the Tony Mercurio show on ESPN 94.1-FM in Virginia Beach, per the Philadelphia Daily News. “We’ve just got to take our time and re-evaluate the situation and make sure we do what’s best for the team . . . I think it doesn’t make sense to try to rush back and play and be hurting. The team has really jelled right now . . . There’s no reason to just break that up. We have a bye next week, which makes it even better.”

Vick added that there was no truth to the reports that he showed up late to Sunday’s game, saying he reported at the time he was told to and got treatment from team medical staff in the locker room. And he said he was glad to see how well Kolb played on Sunday.

“It was great to see Kolb, over the last two weeks, go out and just have two magnificent games,” Vick said. “We know what Kevin can do.”

Of course, if Kolb plays well and the Eagles beat the Titans, coach Andy Reid might very well change his mind again and stick with Kolb as the starter when the Eagles return from the bye week.

But Vick seems to think Reid is committed to him.

“It’s an awesome feeling. It goes to show the trust and confidence they have in me,” Vick said. “In return, I’m going to show them that they can continue to trust me and they can continue to count on me, week in and week out.”

For at least one more week, however, the Eagles will count on Kolb.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
23 Responses to “Michael Vick says he's taking his time for his ribs to heal”
  1. NationalFelonLeague.com © says: Oct 19, 2010 8:20 AM

————-/
    Kolb thought the same thing.

2. mike_311 says: Oct 19, 2010 8:25 AM

is it just me or do the Eagles seem too happy?
    This is just a front. Turmoil is on the way..

3. birdmancometh says: Oct 19, 2010 8:42 AM

Actually, that thing you see in the distance isn’t turmiol, it’s victories.

4. DopeBoys says: Oct 19, 2010 8:48 AM

Andy Reid sure is good at blowing smoke up his QB’s rear ends. Michael, sir, if Kolb has another game like Sunday, you won’t start again for the rest of the year. And that isn’t out of Vick hate, that is out of pure football intelligence.

5. Bwa Ha Ha says: Oct 19, 2010 9:13 AM

Mike Vick is playing this season smart. He knows that he will be moving on at the end of the season. He will be the big prize in free agency and will command a lot of money.
    This is based on three things that he needed to do this season
    1 Stay out of trouble (Check)
    2 Perform at a high level if the chace come up (Check)
    3 Stay healthy (Questions, but no permanent broken parts)
    If he simply stays healthy and contributes as a team mate he has a pot ‘o gold waiting.

6. realitypolice says: Oct 19, 2010 9:17 AM

If Kolb has a big game and the Eagles trash the Titans, I have a hard time believing Reid yanks him.
    That being said, I think it would be a mistake not to put Vick back in. At some point, a coach’s word has to mean something or he risks losing the locker room. Kolb has shown that he has the maturity to not take it personally and come back in and do his job if necessary.
    As I have said before, I believe at the end of the year some desperate team will throw much more money at Vick than the Eagles are willing to match and Kolb will once again be the QB of the future for the Eagles.
    With that in mind, given that he has already shown he is ready, limiting his snaps and thus the potential for injury may not be an altogether bad thing for the Eagles.

7. isonic1 says: Oct 19, 2010 9:24 AM

Yeah, they beat the hapless 49ers and a good win at home against the Falcons. Don’t get too happy just yet.

8. kickinitoleschool says: Oct 19, 2010 9:35 AM

one of them will get traded at some point and time…seems like both vick and kolb are showing that they are all about the team…hoping that it is not themselves that will be traded

9. Simon12345 says: Oct 19, 2010 9:55 AM

“Kevin Kolb will start until Vick is healthy” — yikes, I think Florio called this strategy several weeks ago!

10. myeaglescantwin says: Oct 19, 2010 10:02 AM

TRADE VICK BEFORE 4pm TODAY.
    His stock is up and we may be able to finegal a little more than the 3rd round compensatory pick we would get at the end of this year after he walks for more money.
    Or get into a player for player deal. We can use some BIG DT’s and even a solid RG. Either way, we need to get some value for this guy.

11. Heywood Jablowme says: Oct 19, 2010 10:09 AM

Please, take the rest of the year to heal.

12. Raiders757 says: Oct 19, 2010 10:30 AM

Good, take your time. the more Kolb plays, the more the Eagles will realize that he’s a better QB. He, a sin Kolb, not Vick. Vick is a flash in the pan.

13. Mediahatesraiders says: Oct 19, 2010 10:33 AM

So who thinks vick will be traded today?

14. SDW2001 says: Oct 19, 2010 10:41 AM

mike_311 says:
    October 19, 2010 8:25 AM
    is it just me or do the Eagles seem too happy?
    This is just a front. Turmoil is on the way..
    –It seems once in a while I read something here that brightens my day with some laughter. This is today’s moment. I don’t mean that sarcastically, either. I have not the same thing as you stated, but yeah..one’s got to wonder. Things are going too well for us. The end is probably near. :)

15. realitypolice says: Oct 19, 2010 10:46 AM

kickinitoleschool says:
    October 19, 2010 9:35 AM
    ================
    Well that point better come quick seeing as the trade deadline is 4pm today.

16. Ska4Life says: Oct 19, 2010 10:55 AM

I hope Vick isn’t getting too full of himself. He seems to have all the confidence in the world even after Reid has shown to be day-to-day on these decisions and gave that “Michael Kolb” line at the press conference.

17. birdmancometh says: Oct 19, 2010 11:00 AM

“So who thinks vick will be traded today?”
    ….*crickets*….

18. tombrookshire says: Oct 19, 2010 11:07 AM

Unfortunately, the big test of Kolb would be Indy. He could seal the deal if he plays well against them. Is Reid too loyal to Vick to let that happen and possibly find out if he truly has his future and present QB in Kolb? Only time will tell, but I think he thinks he owes Vick something. Only problem is, any smart coach, and I don’t necessarily mean Reid, would do whatever gave his team the best chance to win, regardless of promises he’s made. After all, he promised Kolb big time and turned right around and yanked it away because of one bad half of football. Is Vick owed any more than Kolb? If I was playing like Kolb, I would feel that Reid owed me his trust and confidence, not Ron Mexico.

19. kinghill says: Oct 19, 2010 11:13 AM

Kevin did a great job against the Dirty Birds but the Titans defense is Buddy Ryan crazy. Remember where Jeff Fisher learned the trade. I hope Marty has a plan that works without DeSean Jackson, but I’m fully prepared for a classic Eagles’ let-down agaiinst a very good AFC team. That will re-open the door for Mike Vick.

20. buddha says: Oct 19, 2010 2:10 PM

I just love the way the Eagles players are handling the situation. This has been a big issue in the media throughout the whole season, and the players still havent said anything for the media to blow out of proportion. And you know the media will run with ANYTHING they can twist around into a major story. Through 6 games, I think the Eagles CLEARLY have the top 2 QBs in the NFC East! I know some people will disagree, but you cant argue with the facts. And dont give me Romos stats on how many yards he has because I’ll just turn around and point out their record and his passer rating and his turnovers. Same with McNabb and Eli.

21. n0hopeleft says: Oct 19, 2010 5:15 PM

birdmancometh says:
    October 19, 2010 8:42 AM
    Actually, that thing you see in the distance isn’t turmiol, it’s victories.
    _______________________________
    Exactly. Victories when it matters LEAST.
    Reference the last 30 years.
    LOSER.

22. eaglesnoles05 says: Oct 19, 2010 5:39 PM

“After all, he promised Kolb big time and turned right around and yanked it away because of one bad half of football. ”
    —> That’s a little misleading. Reid didn’t yank the job away from Kolb ‘because’ of one bad half of football. He yanked it away because DID YOU SEE MICHAEL VICK PLAY?!?!?!

23. Mark0226 says: Oct 19, 2010 8:31 PM

Reid is committed to Vick, no matter how well Kolb does. Kolb began the year because Reid has faith that he is a good QB. Playing well only proves that they were correct on that assessment. However, Reid is in love with Michael Vick’s athletic ability, and feels that he is a spectacular QB. He only needed to prove his maturity and understanding of the offence. He has done that, so he is the starting QB, no matter how well Kolb plays. Only Vick can give Kolb the starting job back with multiple games of poor performance.