The annual Jon Gruden coaching question resurfaces

20091018__20091019_C02_SP19DSAUNDERS~p1_200.JPGUntil former Raiders and Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden returns to coaching — and he will at some point — Gruden will go through an annual episode of angst regarding whether this year is the year he should come back.

This year, the angst looks to be starting early.

In an appearance on the latest Rich Eisen Podcast, the host (coincidentally named Rich Eisen) inquired about a possible return.

Asked Eisen:  “So it’s something that you’re not seeking, but if it seeks you out, you’ll listen to a coaching opportunity?”

“I think I might,” Gruden said, notwithstanding the “exclusive” extension he signed last November with ESPN, about which ESPN wouldn’t discuss the details

“Again, I’m not even thinking about it right now,” Gruden said.  “I’m totally blessed to be doing what I’m doing.  It’s my second year [with Monday Night Football] and I think I’m getting a little bit better [at] broadcasting.  Hopefully we can finish strong and put together a real solid season, but what the future has in store, I have no idea, but in the time being, I’m going to prepare myself like I always have to stay on top of what’s going on.”

In other words, Gruden could be back in coaching as soon as next year.

He has been linked most prominently with the 1-5 Browns, given his past relationship with team president Mike Holmgren.  And, as a practical matter, Gruden’s comments could make some current coaches leery about welcoming Gruden to practice and otherwise sharing strategy and secrets for purposes of the broadcast, if they’ll be once again competing with Gruden as soon as January.

And so it will be hard for Gruden to have it both ways.  He’ll need to declare his intentions soon, or he’ll eventually be getting a frozen deltoid when he shows up for production meetings — especially when he goes to Cincinnati on November 8 for a game featuring two of the Browns’ division rivals, the Steelers and the Bengals.

Permalink 110 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
110 Responses to “The annual Jon Gruden coaching question resurfaces”
  1. badabingtime says: Oct 19, 2010 10:18 PM

Don’t even mention Carolina. Seriously. They won’t pay half the money that Chuckie would require.

2. badabingtime says: Oct 19, 2010 10:18 PM

3. 4545 says: Oct 19, 2010 10:22 PM

Really good point about AFC North teams being leery of letting him in on secrets. Good story.

4. 4545 says: Oct 19, 2010 10:22 PM

5. A whole # 1 says: Oct 19, 2010 10:22 PM

He can’t do an interview until he gets his lips off Favre’s a$$.

6. A whole # 1 says: Oct 19, 2010 10:22 PM

He can’t do an interview until he gets his lips off Favre’s a$$.

7. laxcoach says: Oct 19, 2010 10:23 PM

anyone else think that Chucky looks creepy when he forces a smile in the pregame shows? It looks like he’s trying to hold in a mouth full of excrement.

8. laxcoach says: Oct 19, 2010 10:23 PM

9. Roxtar10 says: Oct 19, 2010 10:26 PM

Please…PLEASE could he make up with Al Davis?

10. Roxtar10 says: Oct 19, 2010 10:26 PM

Please…PLEASE could he make up with Al Davis?

11. Gergie says: Oct 19, 2010 10:28 PM

Just one question, John Gruden took over a Tony Dunge team in Tampa and won the SB hats off to Chuckie. But after that Tampa went down hill, does Gruden get any of the blame for that?

12. Gergie says: Oct 19, 2010 10:28 PM

13. JohnnySkamps says: Oct 19, 2010 10:28 PM

Cleveland would be the wise choice. Why? Because, like in football champion starved Detroit, football immortality awaits the coach and players who can lead those teams to a Super Bowl championship.

14. JohnnySkamps says: Oct 19, 2010 10:28 PM

15. jebark1 says: Oct 19, 2010 10:30 PM

“I think I might,” Gruden said
    and in the next paragraph
    “Again, I’m not even thinking about it right now,” Gruden said
    Either he has multiple personalities, Alzheimer’s or is not bright.
    Perhaps he is a great candidate for the Browns.

16. jebark1 says: Oct 19, 2010 10:30 PM

“I think I might,” Gruden said
    and in the next paragraph
    “Again, I’m not even thinking about it right now,” Gruden said
    Either he has multiple personalities, Alzheimer’s or is not bright.
    Perhaps he is a great candidate for the Browns.

17. previouslybannedfromPFT says: Oct 19, 2010 10:31 PM

I have to side with Collin Cowherd on this one; Gruden in SF and Cowher in Dallas.

18. previouslybannedfromPFT says: Oct 19, 2010 10:31 PM

19. seanx says: Oct 19, 2010 10:33 PM

Well, he will get to go back to Florida. Jacksonville awaits…

20. seanx says: Oct 19, 2010 10:33 PM

Well, he will get to go back to Florida. Jacksonville awaits…

21. stubabe says: Oct 19, 2010 10:39 PM

I don’t know if anybody’s noticed but there MIGHT be spot open in Dallas in Jan.

22. stubabe says: Oct 19, 2010 10:39 PM

23. Corey says: Oct 19, 2010 10:43 PM

The “Yes Man” Bruce Allen is in Washington … Just sayin’.

24. Corey says: Oct 19, 2010 10:43 PM

The “Yes Man” Bruce Allen is in Washington … Just sayin’.

25. realitypolice says: Oct 19, 2010 10:55 PM

==================
    Please, enough already. What the hell kind of intimate secrets do you think NFL coaches are sharing with members of the media? Coaches by nature are naturally distrustful of the media and the idea that they are sitting at these production meetings spewing inside info is pure Florio fantasy.
    Before Jim Fassel took a UFL job, he was a game broadcaster while actively interviewing for other jobs. Brian Billick is a game broadcaster whose name is constantly being thrown around for another job.
    I just hope Chucky goes back to coaching so I don’t have to listen to him kissing the ass of every organization in the NFL anymore.

26. realitypolice says: Oct 19, 2010 10:55 PM

==================

27. simms2bavaro says: Oct 19, 2010 11:00 PM

Forget the Brownies. Gruden makes sense as a candidate for the Packers or Vikings, two teams that have solid rosters that only relatively minor tweaking to contender next season.
    Sure, there’s a chance that both McCarthy and Childress keep their jobs, but those franchises are lying if they really believe that those two coaches can lead their team to a Super Bowl.

28. simms2bavaro says: Oct 19, 2010 11:00 PM

29. Kirk says: Oct 19, 2010 11:02 PM

wouldnt mind seeing him go to giants if the Gmen decide to screw up

30. Kirk says: Oct 19, 2010 11:02 PM

wouldnt mind seeing him go to giants if the Gmen decide to screw up

31. Contra says: Oct 19, 2010 11:02 PM

Dude, come on!
    You’re already milking Favrewatch so please don’t start a Grudenwatch!

32. Contra says: Oct 19, 2010 11:02 PM

Dude, come on!
    You’re already milking Favrewatch so please don’t start a Grudenwatch!

33. stanb says: Oct 19, 2010 11:08 PM

Gruden is too good of an announcer to change going back to coaching… This is long term and much more secure for him… Why coach in such an insecure setting…

34. stanb says: Oct 19, 2010 11:08 PM

35. jtaft says: Oct 19, 2010 11:10 PM

Dear God:
    We Viking fans don’t ask for much, we know our team always chokes when it matters, and we’re fine with that. We don’t pray for the ever elusive Super Bowl, we don’t pray that Jarred Allen actually decides to start playing this year (any time is good now, Jarred), we don’t even pray for Green Bay losses. But please, God, this one time…PLEASE don’t make us watch another season of that no talent clown, Col. Klink, screwing up the most simple, mundane tasks.
    Please give us Jon Gruden.
    Signed,
    Loyal Viking fans across the world…(ok, across the state of MN)

36. jtaft says: Oct 19, 2010 11:10 PM

Dear God:
    Please give us Jon Gruden.
    Signed,
    Loyal Viking fans across the world…(ok, across the state of MN)

37. peytonsgirl18 says: Oct 19, 2010 11:12 PM

I would be ecstatic to have him back coaching so that I can enjoy MNF without his nagging voice every thirty seconds.

38. peytonsgirl18 says: Oct 19, 2010 11:12 PM

39. forthelove says: Oct 19, 2010 11:22 PM

If only Al Davis could’ve let go of the ropes and keep this guy in Oakland. The only winning seasons the Raiders have had since moving back to Oakland are under Gruden or under the team that Gruden built (the year after Gruden left, same year the Raiders lost to Gruden-coached Tampa Bay in the Super Bowl…).
    Also worth noting that the only .500 seasons were under Gruden, too (his first two years). Every single other season in since returning to Oakland has been a losing season.

40. forthelove says: Oct 19, 2010 11:22 PM

41. rjgreen3 says: Oct 19, 2010 11:23 PM

I wish somebody, anybody would give him a job so we can get some objective commentary on MNF! It is really terrible listening to this broadcast; even though it is better than last year!

42. rjgreen3 says: Oct 19, 2010 11:23 PM

43. skinsblow1isreallythe loser boysroll says: Oct 19, 2010 11:27 PM

I heard Jerry is going to be looking for a new coach soon.

44. skinsblow1isreallythe loser boysroll says: Oct 19, 2010 11:27 PM

I heard Jerry is going to be looking for a new coach soon.

45. Slow Joe says: Oct 19, 2010 11:39 PM

Chucky going to the Cowboys would instantly make Dallas a Super Bowl contender. Luckily for me, Jerruh Jones’ ego will prevent it from happening.

46. Slow Joe says: Oct 19, 2010 11:39 PM

47. Dave The Panther says: Oct 19, 2010 11:43 PM

badabingtime: Fox is getting 6 million per season and J.R. WOULD pay to get Gruden.
    So until you know what you are talking about STFU. IDIOT

48. Dave The Panther says: Oct 19, 2010 11:43 PM

So until you know what you are talking about STFU. IDIOT

49. Raiders757 says: Oct 19, 2010 11:50 PM

The Raiders! Any other team would be just wrong. He IS a Raider.

50. Raiders757 says: Oct 19, 2010 11:50 PM

The Raiders! Any other team would be just wrong. He IS a Raider.

51. wheresrickysanders says: Oct 19, 2010 11:51 PM

Any team would be blessed to have Gruden. If the cowboys sign him, and they’ll try, presumably even before Wade is even out, I’ll be very worried as a skins fan.
    But then again.. Is Gruden dumb enough to sign up for that circus?

52. wheresrickysanders says: Oct 19, 2010 11:51 PM

But then again.. Is Gruden dumb enough to sign up for that circus?

53. booska says: Oct 19, 2010 11:55 PM

I don’t think Jerry will be going outside the organization. I think Jason Garrett will get that Job. I think Gruden will go somewhere he has total influence on every phase of the operation. I dont think he wants to be the GM but he wants a GM who will do what he says, That being said I like Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Carolina, & Oakland, I actually wouldn’t be surprised with an Oakland reunion.

54. booska says: Oct 19, 2010 11:55 PM

55. thebigtattler says: Oct 20, 2010 12:24 AM

Jon
    Jon
    Jon
    Come back to Ohio.
    Look at Cleveland and Cincinnati the go on ESPN and tell have a show called “The Indecision” and waste an hour of our valuable lives and stay at ESPN.
    It will be better then what that last Ohio native did to screw us.
    Much Love Bro !
    I rooted for you in the Super Bowl against my Raiders because I Loved you so much and someone else leached off you work (see Jimmy J. & B. Swietzer in Dallas. I was glad you beat our ass.
    CHEAP OWNERS SUCK.
    STUPID OWNERS SUCK WORSE.
    Al Davis screwed you and you go the final twist of the screw.
    Good coaches are gold.
    Take my hand Jon
    Take my hand Jon
    Stay in the damn booth.
    If you wait 3 years you’ll triple (I SAID TRIPLE) your annual salary because teams will start being owned by foreign entities (how many American rich guys own soccer teams) and it’s coming back here and $ is no object.
    Not Dan Snyder money is no object….
    real players who will let the whip be carried by those whom know who needs “encouragement”.
    Stay put Jon.
    You think your stock is high now?
    Milk the cow through time.

56. thebigtattler says: Oct 20, 2010 12:24 AM

Jon
    Jon
    Jon
    Come back to Ohio.
    It will be better then what that last Ohio native did to screw us.
    Much Love Bro !
    CHEAP OWNERS SUCK.
    STUPID OWNERS SUCK WORSE.
    Al Davis screwed you and you go the final twist of the screw.
    Good coaches are gold.
    Take my hand Jon
    Take my hand Jon
    Stay in the damn booth.
    Not Dan Snyder money is no object….
    Stay put Jon.
    You think your stock is high now?
    Milk the cow through time.

57. PhD says: Oct 20, 2010 2:34 AM

There are more than a few fans who would welcome him with open arms after Singletary is shown the door in San Francisco at season’s end.

58. PhD says: Oct 20, 2010 2:34 AM

59. BigBill49er says: Oct 20, 2010 3:19 AM

Doesnt look like Sing will be around after this season.. Not saying I am for him leaving.. just not decided yet. but if he goes. I would LOVE to see Chucky sporting some Red and Gold.. and what better way to stick it to Al Davis then taking the team across the bay to Prominence.. and maybe Chucky could either Fix Smith or have the balls to dump his ass and get a real QB.. Maybe even Draft Kellen Moore or Andrew Luck???

60. BigBill49er says: Oct 20, 2010 3:19 AM

61. LJ says: Oct 20, 2010 5:13 AM

From Sandusky, grew up a Browns fan. His dad was supposedly a season ticket holder for the Browns. Coached w/ Holmgren for 4 years. Although I like the job Mangini is doing in building the team, he may run out of time. If he does then Chuckie would be a logical choice. It isn’t a complete rebuild job anymore either, it’s a job of finishing the rebuild. It looked like he and Colt McCoy hit it off pretty well too in the pre-draft segment they did together. We’ll see.

62. LJ says: Oct 20, 2010 5:13 AM

63. TexansMikeLCTX says: Oct 20, 2010 6:41 AM

Please spare me the Cleveland crap. Chucky is smart. He’s not going to go up against Pitt or Balt.
    I am a TEXANS fan through and through. My money, and I have never bet on my own team (YET), says Chucky and his 9 QB’S will be rounding up in San Francisco next year.
    Come on folks, good coaches don’t put theirselves in a position to fail.
    Everywhere Parcells has went, he couldn’t fail, and Chucky knows the NFC is weak especially the west. Just like we all know COWARD will be in Carolina.
    You heard it from here first.
    I’M OUT

64. TexansMikeLCTX says: Oct 20, 2010 6:41 AM

Come on folks, good coaches don’t put theirselves in a position to fail.
    You heard it from here first.
    I’M OUT

65. BigTony300 says: Oct 20, 2010 6:54 AM

Why would any team fall all over Gruden? He won a Superbowl his first year in Tampa with a team Dungy put together. When Gruden starting bringing in his staff and players the following season, the franchise starting rotting from the inside out. He is extremely overrated as a coach and should stick to the Booth.

66. BigTony300 says: Oct 20, 2010 6:54 AM

67. realitypolice says: Oct 20, 2010 7:29 AM

LJ says:
    October 20, 2010 5:13 AM
    ===============
    Do you honestly think stuff like this matters to people involved in pro sports? It’s contract and situation, period.

68. realitypolice says: Oct 20, 2010 7:29 AM

LJ says:
    October 20, 2010 5:13 AM
    ===============

69. FireJerryJones says: Oct 20, 2010 7:49 AM

Your paranoia about coaches is creepy.
    Mike Shanahan took a year off and travelled around the League to talk with other coaches.
    He’s now gone to the 3 / 4 defense as a result.
    His tour included the likes of Bill Belichick… pretty paranoid dude.
    Amazingly he didn’t go to Buffalo.

70. FireJerryJones says: Oct 20, 2010 7:49 AM

Your paranoia about coaches is creepy.
    He’s now gone to the 3 / 4 defense as a result.
    His tour included the likes of Bill Belichick… pretty paranoid dude.
    Amazingly he didn’t go to Buffalo.

71. Cubano says: Oct 20, 2010 7:50 AM

I don’t care where he coaches. He just needs to coach. He’s good for the NFL.

72. Cubano says: Oct 20, 2010 7:50 AM

I don’t care where he coaches. He just needs to coach. He’s good for the NFL.

73. radioboy20010 says: Oct 20, 2010 8:20 AM

Yup, even the “faithful” Packers fans are calling for Gruden in Green Bay. If Gruden was so terrific, why isn’t he coaching in Tampa Bay? Everyone can understand why he isn’t in Oakland given that ship of fools, but if Gruden can save the day, why didn’t he do it in Tampa?
    Fact is being a consistently good coach isn’t good enough in the Internet age. You must win every game by at least 50 points. Your head coach must be a combination of Vince Lombardi and Jesus who even picks up sick puppies on the way home and nurses them back to health. You must produce football players who are “hitters”, i.e. MMA, not blockers and tacklers. The General Manager must be omnipotent and follow the teachings of the Holy Book Kiper. They must watch the fantasy football numbers because that is where “real” football decisions are made.
    Fact is I’m beginning to watch more baseball than football because it’s still a game where normal-sized humans use skill and cunning to win games without the endless nonsense that the average NFL fan apparently wants.

74. radioboy20010 says: Oct 20, 2010 8:20 AM

75. TDH says: Oct 20, 2010 8:25 AM

The most logical landing spot for Gruden will be in San Francisco. He started his coaching career there and it would give him a chance to give Al Davis the middle finger every week.

76. TDH says: Oct 20, 2010 8:25 AM

77. imongo says: Oct 20, 2010 8:31 AM

That bald headed fruit coaching the Vikes needs to go. Bring in Chuckie. And a QB that can move in the pocket would be nice….Clay Matthews is gonna kill the ol’ bastard.

78. imongo says: Oct 20, 2010 8:31 AM

79. Bringing the Pain says: Oct 20, 2010 8:44 AM

He’ll be in Carolina next season. Richardson has never been afraid to spend money. This season is about the CBA, not money. We’re looking for a young, offensive minded guy this time around. Chucky is our man!

80. Bringing the Pain says: Oct 20, 2010 8:44 AM

81. drumbug71 says: Oct 20, 2010 8:46 AM

I’m always leery when former coaches attend practices and meet with teams/coaches. Last year, Mike Shanahan, who was without a team, attended the Steelers’ training camp in Latrobe, and then, less than a year later, he’s the coach of the Redskins and implementing a 3-4 defense. Why would you give other coaches insight as to how you do things? It would be worse if Shanahan would have attended a training camp — and then replaced that coach.

82. drumbug71 says: Oct 20, 2010 8:46 AM

83. DingyHarry says: Oct 20, 2010 9:04 AM

Its time for Holmgren and Heckert and step up to the plate and press the “Eject Eric” button. The Browns are 1-5 and headed for the top pick in the draft once again. With N.O. and N.E. on the schedule next, Its pretty safe to assume that EM will run his record to 6-18. That’s a .250 winning percentage. That percentage might be acceptable for a third string catcher in baseball but its not a sign of improvement in Cleveland.
    Time to get Mr. Gruden into Cleveland. Pure, Plain and simple.

84. DingyHarry says: Oct 20, 2010 9:04 AM

Time to get Mr. Gruden into Cleveland. Pure, Plain and simple.

85. BUCSFANFOREVER says: Oct 20, 2010 9:17 AM

I miss him in Tampa. Now that we have secured a solid freshman quarterback Gruden would have a heyday molding Freeman into a star. Jon – please come back!!!!

86. BUCSFANFOREVER says: Oct 20, 2010 9:17 AM

87. blastfurniss says: Oct 20, 2010 9:22 AM

What about Chucky in San Diego? Certainly Gruden would love to stick it to Al Davis twice a year and I doubt he’d pass up the opportunity to take a job with an established starting QB. Unless the Chargers rebound there is no way Norv Turner comes back to underachieve for another year. Cowher will have his pick of jobs. If Coughlin goes the Giants are a possibility but he has better chance of controlling personnel in Carolina.
    I think Mangini has a 50-50 chance of staying in Cleveland. If he survives, his horrible offensive coordinator Brian DaBoll gets canned for sure.

88. blastfurniss says: Oct 20, 2010 9:22 AM

89. JP says: Oct 20, 2010 9:27 AM

If Lovie Smith gets canned in Chicago as is widely expected, that might be an interesting landing spot for Gruden as well.

90. JP says: Oct 20, 2010 9:27 AM

91. JLawless87 says: Oct 20, 2010 9:33 AM

Dream Team for Cleveland …
    Head Coach – Jon Gruden
    Defensive Coordinator- Rob Ryan
    Offensive Coordinator- Mike Holmgren by committee (I forget the names of all of his “advisers/consultants”)

92. JLawless87 says: Oct 20, 2010 9:33 AM

Dream Team for Cleveland …
    Head Coach – Jon Gruden
    Defensive Coordinator- Rob Ryan

93. Viper21 says: Oct 20, 2010 10:12 AM

2011 Coaching Changes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Jon Gruden = Dallas
    Bill Cowher = Carolina
    Laugh all you want…. this is where I think these guys end up coaching next season. Oh yeah…. and Mike Holmgren may come outta the booth to coach the Browns.

94. Viper21 says: Oct 20, 2010 10:12 AM

2011 Coaching Changes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Jon Gruden = Dallas
    Bill Cowher = Carolina

95. badabingtime says: Oct 20, 2010 10:47 AM

Neither Gruden nor Cowher to Carolina. Jerry Richardson got burned hiring a big name coach (George Siefert) and won’t do that again. Carolina gets a young first-time head coach.

96. badabingtime says: Oct 20, 2010 10:47 AM

97. BrokenBallz says: Oct 20, 2010 10:58 AM

jtaft: You should’ve thrown in the classic Sgt Schultz reference when discussing Chilly: “I know NOTHING. NOTHING! (LOL)
    Btw, where is Major Hockstetter in all this?

98. BrokenBallz says: Oct 20, 2010 10:58 AM

Btw, where is Major Hockstetter in all this?

99. CliveRush says: Oct 20, 2010 11:08 AM

This man seems a little too rah, rah and immature for coaching in the league. When the players get past the college stuff and the play requires discipline and control his teams lose it. His constant unstable facial expressions are weird. Emotion in a tight game can be a killer for the man making the decision.

100. CliveRush says: Oct 20, 2010 11:08 AM

101. cupajoe38 says: Oct 20, 2010 11:10 AM

so does this mean Jerry Jones will be holding some off site meeting with the likes of Jon Gruden in late november, to discuss what he can do to salvage a talented team with no direction, no discipline, and only 1 post season win in 15 years? Will Jerry Jones go and override Gruden’s managment, and insert high profile, flamboyant players with big contracts? Then in 5 years, once Gruden is gone, will Jerry be caught on a cell phone video mouthing off after a few beers: “we got Jon b/c everyone said get a high profile coach to whip these boys into shape, but i bet any college coach from say Oklahoma could have done the same job”?

102. cupajoe38 says: Oct 20, 2010 11:10 AM

103. TeddyRoosevelt says: Oct 20, 2010 12:28 PM

Cleveland is the logical choice. Not only does he have a strong relationship with Holmgren, but he was singing high praises regarding Colt McCoy and suggested to Holmgren to take him if the opportunity arose.

104. TeddyRoosevelt says: Oct 20, 2010 12:28 PM

105. BabyJesus says: Oct 20, 2010 1:30 PM

Gruden started his coaching career in frisco. He’s a self proclaimed beach and sun type of guy. He already took one underachieving talented team to the Superbowl in the Bucs. Jed York has proven he’s willingly to pay players like P Willy and Vernon Davis to keep them around for years. There’s a stadium on the line where Jed’s next hire can’t be JUST another assistant. Hiring John Gruden with A GENERAL MANAGER fits too perfectly for the niners. That’s probably why it won’t happen.

106. BabyJesus says: Oct 20, 2010 1:30 PM

107. BabyJesus says: Oct 20, 2010 1:31 PM

108. BabyJesus says: Oct 20, 2010 1:31 PM

109. mcs040 says: Oct 24, 2010 4:32 PM

come to the 49ers please!

110. mcs040 says: Oct 24, 2010 4:32 PM

come to the 49ers please!