Colts punter arrested for drunk and disorderly conduct

The team that once had a liquored-up kicker (allegedly) now has a liquored-up punter.  (Allegedly.)  And a liquored-up kickoff specialist.  (Also allegedly.)

According to various media reports, Patrick McAfee was arrested early Wednesday for drunk and disorderly conduct after Indianapolis police found him swimming in a local canal.

A call to police came shortly before 5:00 a.m. regarding the presence of a “suspicious person” in the canal.  McAfee was the “suspicious person,” and he was determined to be both shirtless and drunk.

According to Weather.com, the current temperature in Indianapolis as of this posting is 39 degrees.

Permalink 54 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
54 Responses to “Colts punter arrested for drunk and disorderly conduct”
  1. FaulkAnA says: Oct 20, 2010 7:11 AM

As much as I loathe the Colts…
    C’mon, give the guy a break!
    Swimming in the canal, drunk? In 39 degrees?
    That’s a bad-ass Colt.
    Sounds like a bored condo owner needed something to complain about.
    Good on ya Patrick.

2. FaulkAnA says: Oct 20, 2010 7:11 AM

As much as I loathe the Colts…
    C’mon, give the guy a break!
    Swimming in the canal, drunk? In 39 degrees?
    That’s a bad-ass Colt.
    Sounds like a bored condo owner needed something to complain about.
    Good on ya Patrick.

3. Billycheat says: Oct 20, 2010 7:19 AM

I want to party with this guy. Oh, how many times I have driven along that canal wanting to dive into it. Major props to him. Now I am going to get a number 1 McAfee shirt.
    Florio, do you ever sleep?

4. Billycheat says: Oct 20, 2010 7:19 AM

Florio, do you ever sleep?

5. Lumas101 says: Oct 20, 2010 7:21 AM

Since when is it illegal to drunkenly swim in a canal? Sheesh.

6. Lumas101 says: Oct 20, 2010 7:21 AM

Since when is it illegal to drunkenly swim in a canal? Sheesh.

7. chrisritch says: Oct 20, 2010 7:25 AM

He was out just getting his kicks and was flagged for illegal procedure….no biggie

8. chrisritch says: Oct 20, 2010 7:25 AM

9. Fantasia says: Oct 20, 2010 7:33 AM

I expect a suspension. If fines and suspensions are good enough for the Steelers, these punks from other teams should receive the same treatment.
    Where are you, Roger?

10. Fantasia says: Oct 20, 2010 7:33 AM

Where are you, Roger?

11. blmonroe12 says: Oct 20, 2010 8:12 AM

This guy clearly has raised the bar after the standard was laid out before him by Jeff Reed and Mike Vanderjagt.. Something incredible had to have happened before this guy was found swimming shirtless outside in 39 degree weather and I want to know what got him to that point…

12. blmonroe12 says: Oct 20, 2010 8:12 AM

13. TP7 says: Oct 20, 2010 8:17 AM

Just like the other West Virginia Mountaineer drunks that proceeded him in the NFL, Todd “Juice” Sauerbraun and Mike “The Mule” Vanderjagt. Keep it classy Mountaineers!

14. TP7 says: Oct 20, 2010 8:17 AM

15. toothpick says: Oct 20, 2010 8:40 AM

Florio, you forgot to mention that Pat McAfee went to West Virginia.

16. toothpick says: Oct 20, 2010 8:40 AM

Florio, you forgot to mention that Pat McAfee went to West Virginia.

17. Richm2257 says: Oct 20, 2010 8:44 AM

All of which begs the question;
    who is tougher, the liqoured up kicker who takes a dip in 39 degree weather, or the liquored up kicker who punches a towel dispenser off a gas station bathroom wall?

18. Richm2257 says: Oct 20, 2010 8:44 AM

All of which begs the question;

19. bigdig64 says: Oct 20, 2010 9:13 AM

where are the comments to suspend him? everyone is so quick to criticize the Jets…lets see what the Colts do! I cant wait to hear what Dungy says about this one…WWDD (What Would Dungy Do)

20. bigdig64 says: Oct 20, 2010 9:13 AM

21. Osterhouse says: Oct 20, 2010 9:27 AM

I wish he was our punter! That’s awesome. Ours only plays in a band and plays video games (Kluwe).

22. Osterhouse says: Oct 20, 2010 9:27 AM

23. melikefootball says: Oct 20, 2010 9:30 AM

God-del will be blind once more in the racing city.

24. melikefootball says: Oct 20, 2010 9:30 AM

God-del will be blind once more in the racing city.

25. red4skins says: Oct 20, 2010 9:37 AM

The stories I’ve read say nothing about “disorderly conduct”. In fact, they say he cooperated. He’s been charged with public intoxication. Don’t make the guy sound worse than he is. He’s a goofy dude who got hammered and went for a little adventure. If you can’t relate, you’re no fun.

26. red4skins says: Oct 20, 2010 9:37 AM

27. odds75to1 says: Oct 20, 2010 9:40 AM

The officer asked him if he had been swimming in the canal near Broad Ripple. McAfee responded, “I am not sure.” When asked why he was soaking wet. McAfee said “It was raining.” However, no rain has fallen in the Indianapolis area since Monday.
    The officer then asked McAfee where his shirt was and he stated, “It is in the water.”
    The police report states McAfee was asked how much he had to drink. He responded, “A lot cause I am drunk.”
    HAHAHA funny stuff right there!

28. odds75to1 says: Oct 20, 2010 9:40 AM

HAHAHA funny stuff right there!

29. Simon12345 says: Oct 20, 2010 9:42 AM

Mike Vanderjadt also went to West Virginia (as well as Pac Man, but whose countin…). Let’s goooooo, Mountaineers. Dude, there is some major partying that goes on in Morgantown…

30. Simon12345 says: Oct 20, 2010 9:42 AM

31. Chiefs2010 says: Oct 20, 2010 9:47 AM

Isn’t this the second Colts player to be found blacked out in a canal / ditch ?
    Wasn’t there a Colts d lineman in a ditch – who had apparently lost control of his bowels as well?
    I’ll try to avoid the midwest in general and Indy in particular..

32. Chiefs2010 says: Oct 20, 2010 9:47 AM

Isn’t this the second Colts player to be found blacked out in a canal / ditch ?
    I’ll try to avoid the midwest in general and Indy in particular..

33. 18ALLDAY says: Oct 20, 2010 9:50 AM

When asked by the cops why he was soaking wet McAfee told them it was because it had been raining. It’s basically rained twice in the past 2 months in Indianapolis and the city is 6 inches below the average rainfall year to date. Sounds like that West Virginia education really tought him to think fast. Not to mention the Canal in Broad Ripple is nothing but a sess pool that all the drunk patrons from the local bars whiz in. Good thing he’s only the punter!

34. 18ALLDAY says: Oct 20, 2010 9:50 AM

35. XLI says: Oct 20, 2010 9:52 AM

Oh that wacky Bye Week, usually stirs up a humorous story or 2.
    He was boozing in Broad Ripple and went for a late night swim, sounds like my friends.
    I’m just mad I wasn’t out there last night too, I can picture it now.

36. XLI says: Oct 20, 2010 9:52 AM

Oh that wacky Bye Week, usually stirs up a humorous story or 2.
    I’m just mad I wasn’t out there last night too, I can picture it now.

37. youboettcha says: Oct 20, 2010 10:09 AM

The sad thing about those comments is that Vanderjagt said, “I just don’t see us getting better right now,” in 2003. Manning went on to win two straight MVPs and the Colts went on to win 12+ games each year. And Manning had his 49+ TD year a season later.

38. youboettcha says: Oct 20, 2010 10:09 AM

39. Jeaaff Jeaaff Jeaaff says: Oct 20, 2010 10:17 AM

Why would this warrant a suspension?? You people are morons. The guy got drunk and went swimming…since when is that a terrible offense?? He’ll pay his public intoxication fine and this will be over with.
    Its not like he creeped on some co-eds or got a DWI, Steelers and Jets fans!!!

40. Jeaaff Jeaaff Jeaaff says: Oct 20, 2010 10:17 AM

Its not like he creeped on some co-eds or got a DWI, Steelers and Jets fans!!!

41. 8ball says: Oct 20, 2010 10:39 AM

If I was coaching the Colts, I would cut the punter, remove punt formation from the playbook, and game plan every possession to be four downs of no huddle offense . Peyton Manning would make it work.

42. 8ball says: Oct 20, 2010 10:39 AM

43. Johnny Utah says: Oct 20, 2010 11:24 AM

Will Replay Photos have any police cam pictures of this arrest available for sale?

44. Johnny Utah says: Oct 20, 2010 11:24 AM

45. PasqualWisdom says: Oct 20, 2010 12:20 PM

Cue the Peyton Manning “IDIOT” blast! Quad yeah McAfee!

46. PasqualWisdom says: Oct 20, 2010 12:20 PM

Cue the Peyton Manning “IDIOT” blast! Quad yeah McAfee!

47. TFormation says: Oct 20, 2010 1:11 PM

Hey, man. He didn’t drive drunk. That’s the good news. He probably knew he had too many drinks and tried to swim home.
    We’ve all done that, right?

48. TFormation says: Oct 20, 2010 1:11 PM

We’ve all done that, right?

49. TroyPsHair says: Oct 20, 2010 1:30 PM

Hilarious.

50. TroyPsHair says: Oct 20, 2010 1:30 PM

Hilarious.

51. smilergrogan says: Oct 20, 2010 6:17 PM

my guess is he was with a lady somewhere upstream until he had to leave in a drunken and hasty manner and the canal looked like the best way out. lucky he doesn’t kick in florida, cause he could be gator bait…

52. smilergrogan says: Oct 20, 2010 6:17 PM

53. sportsdrenched says: Oct 21, 2010 1:43 PM

I think I’ve had a night like this, but I’m not sure.

54. sportsdrenched says: Oct 21, 2010 1:43 PM

I think I’ve had a night like this, but I’m not sure.