To cut down on flags in games, Cowboys use officials at practice

The Dallas Cowboys draw, on average, 10 penalties per game.  At a lower rate, it’s possible that they would have won more than one game out of five.

And so they have imported officials for practice this week, with the goal of ironing out the penalty problem.

So what happens if a flag is thrown in practice?

“We make the team run the play again,” Phillips said, per Nick Eatman of the team’s official website.  “No matter what
happened on the play, we run the play again.  It’s a time thing.  You’re
going to be out there so long, but if you get a penalty, you’re going to
be out there longer.  I think [the players] relate to that.”

Phillips also said the officials were asked to focus on certain areas during practice, but Phillips didn’t specify those areas.

The officials will be present at practice on the two main practice days — usually Wednesday and Thursday — for the rest of the year.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
50 Responses to “To cut down on flags in games, Cowboys use officials at practice”
  1. Pack_Attack says: Oct 22, 2010 5:05 AM

Pack did that–it worked…some

2. Pack_Attack says: Oct 22, 2010 5:05 AM

Pack did that–it worked…some

3. DanSnyder says: Oct 22, 2010 5:07 AM

hail

4. DanSnyder says: Oct 22, 2010 5:07 AM

hail

5. Tetsuo says: Oct 22, 2010 5:45 AM

Run the play AGAIN? A SECOND TIME? OMG HARSH!!!!! Really going to teach them with that one. DAMN.

6. Tetsuo says: Oct 22, 2010 5:45 AM

7. chrisritch says: Oct 22, 2010 6:06 AM

Great idea……maybe you should bring in some journalists to clean up your staffs penalty’s !

8. chrisritch says: Oct 22, 2010 6:06 AM

9. NoKoolaidCowboy says: Oct 22, 2010 6:21 AM

On another note, Phillips announced there will be “no more pudding if you don’t eat your meat! How can there be any pudding, if you don’t eat your meat!”

10. NoKoolaidCowboy says: Oct 22, 2010 6:21 AM

11. FireJerryJones says: Oct 22, 2010 7:25 AM

Other teams have been doing this for years.
    I just assumed all teams did this.
    Sickening.

12. FireJerryJones says: Oct 22, 2010 7:25 AM

Other teams have been doing this for years.
    I just assumed all teams did this.
    Sickening.

13. DopeBoys says: Oct 22, 2010 7:40 AM

For the love of God make it stop!!

14. DopeBoys says: Oct 22, 2010 7:40 AM

For the love of God make it stop!!

15. ipeefreely says: Oct 22, 2010 7:40 AM

I said they should do this, I’m glad to see it happening.

16. ipeefreely says: Oct 22, 2010 7:40 AM

I said they should do this, I’m glad to see it happening.

17. Buschman says: Oct 22, 2010 7:45 AM

Are they NFL officials, or some flunkies? If they are NFL officials, I could see a conflict of interest when those officials have to work a Cowboys game. Is JJ putting them up in a posh hotel?…Do they have an expense account?…How much will they be paid?…

18. Buschman says: Oct 22, 2010 7:45 AM

19. Spoonthis says: Oct 22, 2010 7:47 AM

They should try using a real head coach.

20. Spoonthis says: Oct 22, 2010 7:47 AM

They should try using a real head coach.

21. Polorl69 says: Oct 22, 2010 8:00 AM

about 5 weeks too late

22. Polorl69 says: Oct 22, 2010 8:00 AM

about 5 weeks too late

23. pft_b1ows says: Oct 22, 2010 8:14 AM

This is a good move, but Dallas fans should still be praying for a coaching change. The season is all but lost, and JJ needs to get the new regime in there. The end of this season will get the system in place ahead of time, and primed for next season.

24. pft_b1ows says: Oct 22, 2010 8:14 AM

25. Dawkphan says: Oct 22, 2010 8:28 AM

Maybe they should try practicing with a real coach. just sayin.

26. Dawkphan says: Oct 22, 2010 8:28 AM

Maybe they should try practicing with a real coach. just sayin.

27. Light Loafer Goodell says: Oct 22, 2010 8:29 AM

Are they throwing Pink flags??

28. Light Loafer Goodell says: Oct 22, 2010 8:29 AM

Are they throwing Pink flags??

29. kellyb91985 says: Oct 22, 2010 8:36 AM

@pft_b1ows – You’re right. The problem is the regime, but its not the coaching regime in my opinion – it’s the gm and owner. It would sicken me as a Cowboys fan that the only person not culpable for a bad season is their general manager. Time to take some personal responsibility and give up some of that power you have. Canning coaches every 3 or 4 years clearly is not working. Thankfully, I am not a cowboys fan.

30. kellyb91985 says: Oct 22, 2010 8:36 AM

31. Richard Rick Rickerson says: Oct 22, 2010 8:40 AM

I bet Jerry would like to import officials for the games too.
    Jerry’s kids are just a bit slower than the rest.

32. Richard Rick Rickerson says: Oct 22, 2010 8:40 AM

I bet Jerry would like to import officials for the games too.
    Jerry’s kids are just a bit slower than the rest.

33. pt8106 says: Oct 22, 2010 8:50 AM

Titans have been doing this for several seasons but they do it during training camp–when you are supposed to be fine tuning the fundamentals.

34. pt8106 says: Oct 22, 2010 8:50 AM

35. DopeBoys says: Oct 22, 2010 9:02 AM

@ kelly
    I am trying to determine if I agree or disagree with you. I am a Cowboys fan and cannot stand Jerry Jones. But I would think that even if they did bring in an actual GM he isn’t simply going to let the new guy do his job. I think it would be just another puppet that he would pull the strings with. Unless we Cowboy fans do something similar to what Redskins fans did around DC last year to make the point to Snyder, nothing is going to change in Dallas. Even if Jerry dies his son is going to do the exact same thing.

36. DopeBoys says: Oct 22, 2010 9:02 AM

@ kelly

37. permissions denied - eat me! says: Oct 22, 2010 9:02 AM

Can they import a real GM?
    Being that I’m not a cowturd fan….Keep it up Skeletor, keep it up!!

38. permissions denied - eat me! says: Oct 22, 2010 9:02 AM

Can they import a real GM?
    Being that I’m not a cowturd fan….Keep it up Skeletor, keep it up!!

39. ham1 says: Oct 22, 2010 9:15 AM

Please, lets just see them not draw a flag for jumping offsides or holding calls when the Gmen cave in the line and flatten Romo. They couldnt stop Orakpo. “You better call somebody…”
    Also heres for boyroll who is so ashamed of his girls he had to change his moniker. Cowpukes go to 1-5 this weekend sucka. I still laugh at your season opener prediction over the skins 34-0.

40. ham1 says: Oct 22, 2010 9:15 AM

41. aubs says: Oct 22, 2010 9:41 AM

The cowboys are the best 10 penalty per game team in the league according to Wade.

42. aubs says: Oct 22, 2010 9:41 AM

43. Simon12345 says: Oct 22, 2010 9:48 AM

While they are at it, they need to practice those end zone celebrations…

44. Simon12345 says: Oct 22, 2010 9:48 AM

While they are at it, they need to practice those end zone celebrations…

45. DopeBoys says: Oct 22, 2010 10:02 AM

@ ham1
    Did you watch the Redskins game? Apparently not because was stopped. In fact so was Julius Peppers and Mario Williams. Further fact that up until a few games ago Romo had only been sacked once.
    Do you haters think before you speak? Talk about how bad their coaching is and Romo’s inability to motivate his team or not throw a key interception. Hell I can bash my team better than haters can.

46. DopeBoys says: Oct 22, 2010 10:02 AM

@ ham1

47. jerryjonesplasticsurgeon says: Oct 22, 2010 10:47 AM

How about importing a new QB and a real G.M.!

48. jerryjonesplasticsurgeon says: Oct 22, 2010 10:47 AM

How about importing a new QB and a real G.M.!

49. DieHardSkinsFan21 says: Oct 22, 2010 9:53 PM

Hey DopeBoy or dopehead, whichever you prefer. The reason there wasn’t more sacks in the Skins game is because Orakpo had a choke hold placed upon the entire game. Go back and look at the video. There should have been a about 8 penalties for holding on Barron. The cowgirls suck. Deal with it.

50. DieHardSkinsFan21 says: Oct 22, 2010 9:53 PM