Panthers get first victory against the 49ers

Perhaps now, finally, we can stop hearing about the 49ers as possible contenders in the NFC West.

San Francisco lost in Carolina 23-20, and they lost their starting quarterback to a shoulder injury.  The last-ranked Panthers passing attack came alive, with Matt Moore throwing for 308 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception.  Both scores went to undrafted sixth-round rookie David Gettis.

The game was tied when Alex Smith was knocked out, but the 49ers can’t blame their injured quarterback on the loss.  The Panthers could have won more comfortably if Gettis hadn’t dropped a wide open touchdown on fourth down earlier in the game.

The Panthers suddenly have hope they can compete, with Gettis and fellow rookie Brandon LaFell for 216 receiving yards.  Steve Smith’s return helped open up opportunities for his teammates.

The 49ers, meanwhile, move to 1-6.  It never made sense to talk about their forgiving upcoming schedule because the 49ers simply haven’t looked like a team capable of consistently beating bad teams.   They are a bad team.

Get ready, London.  Here comes David Carr!

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
14 Responses to “Panthers get first victory against the 49ers”
  1. joetoronto says: Oct 24, 2010 5:25 PM

You KNOW you’re in trouble when you lose to the Panthers.
    Right, NinerDynasty?

2. charlsong1 says: Oct 24, 2010 5:31 PM

hey clown, gettis was drafted in the 6th round.

3. QotSA says: Oct 24, 2010 5:38 PM

Panthers baby!
    Feels good to get a win, even if we (probably) aren’t going to the playoffs.

4. youngtorice says: Oct 24, 2010 5:42 PM

It’s not as much a bad team, it’s just poorly managed from the ownership down, Sure they could use a better QB and a better CB to replace Clemments, but they really need a new coaching staff. All I have to say now though is they are royally screwed with Carr at the helm.

5. cheeseandwhinegotogether says: Oct 24, 2010 5:44 PM

Let’s go Panthers! If we can squeak out a few more wins and still get AJ Green in the draft I’ll be a happy man.

6. JakeDSnake says: Oct 24, 2010 5:53 PM

The 49ers are so terrible they couldn’t beat any NFL team this year.

7. darrius_heyward-bey-butterfingers says: Oct 24, 2010 6:00 PM

Legend has it Smith was on fire when he left the game and thus my Niners would have won of course. The box score, however, will show that Smith was inaccurate as usual (9/19).

8. bad asset says: Oct 24, 2010 6:06 PM

I gave Singletary the benefit of the doubt for this one game only. Now I hate myself.

9. NinerDynasty says: Oct 24, 2010 6:32 PM

trouble? haha.. who siad the niners are in trouble? they are pretty much done for the season! The funny $hit is that delusional singletary still thinks that they are going to make the playoff! LMAO!!

10. joetoronto says: Oct 24, 2010 7:34 PM

NinerDynasty says: October 24, 2010 6:32 PM
    *********************************************************
    Props to you for showing up today, NinerDynasty.
    God knows most of the mofo’s here go into seclusion after a loss or change their screen name.

11. Bringing the Pain says: Oct 24, 2010 8:27 PM

Finally!!! Great win for my Panthers. The winning streak has begun. Look out NFC, here we come!!!! Fox for President!!!! David Gettis for rookie of the year. J. Beason for body rocker of the decade. Steve Smith for “Rules and Regulations” award. Whoo hooo!!!!
    P.S.
    Davidson still sucks goat balls!

12. cardinalshane says: Oct 24, 2010 8:36 PM

Couldn’t happen to a nicer group of people…49ers spent too much time listening to all the “experts” about their return to greatness this year.

13. Gailikk says: Oct 24, 2010 10:49 PM

Ouch, I mean just ouch. I was at the game, and as 49ers fan sitting in the stands I just kept shaking my head after Smith went down. Are the 49ers that bad? hell yes they are.
    Hey Joetoronto, we aren’t avoiding the site, most of us are still in shock at that game though.
    Ouch, I just can’t get over that game.

14. NinerDynasty says: Oct 25, 2010 12:29 PM

JoeToronto – I face reality, yes, i admit that i was under the mike singletary spell for a while at the start of the season.. I’m glad for this game because it opened my eyes and now i can see that there are many changes that this team needs to do either right now or at the end of the season, starting with the QB and coaching situation..